US: Republican National Committee announces $10 million campaign for gay and ethnic minority groups

1. Jane McQueen 18 Mar 2013, 4:01pm

If they listen to what the minority groups say, and actually follow through with those things; then it could be a good thing.

However while the religious right basically have a strangle hold on the GOP, then i can’t see there being much progress.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Mar 2013, 4:05pm

I don’t see it doing much good. Unless the top echelons of the GOP support equal marriage, few gays will even consider voting for them as long as Speaker of the House, John Boehner remains diametrically opposed, one of the architects of a lawsuit to keep DOMA on the books.

3. The Republican Party is an extreme rightwing party.

The Democrat Party is a rightwing party.

And they have the political system sewn up among themselves.

How come it is impossible for a party which represents the will of the people rather then the corporations to emerge, in the US?

1. GulliverUK 18 Mar 2013, 4:23pm

Ok, Steve, … out with it. Who exactly would you vote for ?
      Bear in mind some of us (well, me anyone) are a little bit uneducated, and I currently only know of 2 parties in the US, Democrats and Republicans.

1. GingerlyColors 19 Mar 2013, 2:30pm

Everybody is familiar with the two main parties, the Democrats and the Republicans but US politics is more than a two party system, There are three parties vying for position as America’s third party: the Greens, the Libertarians and the Constitution Party. The Greens are similar to other Green Parties including our own. The Libertarians believe in full LGBT equality including same sex marriage and easier access to abortion although party membership does have differing opinions on how liberal abortion laws should be. The worst of these three are the Constitution Party which is to the right of the Republicans and oppose abortion totally, perhaps even if a woman’s life is in danger because of the pregnancy. They also believe that individual states should reserve the right to recriminalize homosexuality and no doubt they would be happy to have a US wide ban on gay sex as well.
        In addition to the ‘big two’ and these three smaller parties there are numerous minor parties.

4. “We sound increasingly out of touch.” And you have only just figured that one out?

I really can’t see them changing until all!

5. GulliverUK 18 Mar 2013, 4:29pm

“the party must soften its stance on gay rights in order to gain support.”

You know, I don’t like that sound of that at all. They’re so anti-gay it’s like Uganda there, so softening your stance is ludicrous when the other side are offering full equality, social inclusive, protections from discrimination — all the things the Republicans have vehemently opposed.

There are issues in all social areas for a large number of people in the LGBT community. No employment protections (ENDA), no housing protections, no goods and services protections, no marriage equality, the DOMA problem, etc. Now whilst some have some of those rights in a few states, it should be countrywide – everybody has the right to not be discriminated at work, at home, when buying goods and services – they do here in the UK. These are very basic rights that people need. Marriage equality is a big thing because of tax and health cover.

In short, the GOP will have to match what the Democrats are offering.

6. Why do they even bother. You have the republican group Log Cabin which is a gay group and they are not even welcome at the republican conventions. Also if any republican that works for the republican politician is outed, they are asked to resign.

7. GulliverUK 18 Mar 2013, 5:23pm

The best thing that could possible happen for the GOP is for SCOTUS to pass same-sex marriage across all states, and strike down DOMA in its entirety.

Why?

^ this isn’t the article I was thinking of, but makes the same points. Just look at 2,3 and 4. The GOP need the SCOTUS to take the decision out of their hands, to finish it, because they are so split internally and cannot do that themselves, and it’s killing their party.

1. An excellent article. Thanks for pointing it out.

But now I’m unsure what to hope for. Obviously as a gay man I want marriage equality everywhere and the DOMA stricken from the statute books. But at the same time, I’d love to see the GOP so terminally f*cked by this issue that they remain unelectable for a generation.

1. GulliverUK 18 Mar 2013, 6:06pm

I know how you feel, but democracy fails if you only have one single electable party.

I have my own ideas about government which is both accountable, in terms of representation, but without parties, and all the wasted time they spend bickering with each other. I don’t know if we’re evolved enough to do that.

But anyway, although I want Labour in government here, I’d be happy if it was a Lab/LibDem coalition, and if the Tories provided a strong balancing force on the opposition party benches.

8. GulliverUK 18 Mar 2013, 5:36pm

We shouldn’t forget also there are reams of articles coming out every day.

Consider this one;

131 Republicans To SCOTUS: Marriage Equality Will Protect Children

The story is also covered here;
    and at the bottom is the doc.

9. Yes, I’ve spotted PN’s deliberate mistake (this article wasn’t meant to be published until 1st April), and I claim my prize !

10. I feel this is only a way to sweeten gay voters only to betray and severely make life harder for them. The RNC is run by the same homophobic crooks. Until younger more understanding members take up the ranks of the party. The Republican Party are not to be trusted with LGBT rights.

The Republicans need Gay’s and blacks to help them into power. Over 70% of LGBT voters backed Obama and a higher for black people supporting Obama.

( The RNC is desperate to hold on to the anti-gay republican house of representatives and nothing would please them more to grab the Senate from the Democrats next election in 2014. And use this mandate to take away the rights of LGBT and discriminate minorities. )

11. I think that headline’s a typo, it should read “GOP announces $10 million PR campaign to try and hoodwink gays, blacks, latinos and women into thinking that their policies will somehow work for them.”

It takes quite something to make the Democrats look like a bunch of centre-left progressives, and I suppose for that the Republicans should be… “proud” probably isn’t quite the word, “noted” maybe.

12. “We sound increasingly out of touch.”

NOOOOO !!!!!! REEEEAALLYY !!!!!???????? Thanks that you said that, I would NEEEEEEVEER had guessed that !!!!!!!

It looks like the mental hospital that is the GOP is finally starting to be run by the doctors, not the patients.

13. GingerlyColors 19 Mar 2013, 2:33pm

I think any positive move by the Republican Party to embrace LGBT and ethnic minority voters should be applauded. It seems that they are realising that they would end up out in the political wilderness if they don’t become more inclusive.
    Perhaps a pink elephant would be a good logo for the Log Cabin Republicans – I see plenty of them when I have had 10 pints of cider!