Video: US House Speaker says he ‘can’t imagine’ his position on equal marriage will ‘ever change’

1. Don’t speak too soon Boehner. Maybe not your children, but a grandchild or two might just sway you to change your mind.

1. Exactly what I was thinking. If one of his grandchildren turns out to be gay/lesbian/bi/whatever is he really going to look them in the eye and say “I don’t believe you should have the same rights as everyone else”? I doubt it (or I hope not). Having an LGBT relative can sometimes be great for changing people’s minds on the matter (although sadly not always). My mother was quite homophobic when I was a kid, she thought it was weird and disgusting. I was very anxious about coming out to her when I was in my teens. When I finally did in my late teens she started changing her attitude. Now she is perfectly open to and accepting of people of all sexualities, and we often watch LGBT themed movies together.

2. So he would reject his own child. What an @ss.

1. No wait i don’t think its rejection. I think its not being on the same page. If every time a parent didn’t agree with a child choices or in this case who he/she was born to be its not like he is saying, “ok faggot leave and never come back”. Ive have payed much attention to this guy since’s he is the speaker for the republican party and he is full of shit but don’t equate this man as someone who will reject his child. But the U.S. people majority are in favor of gay marriage while the republican party stop that momentum any chance they get, they will get whats coming to them.

3. Peter & Michael 16 Mar 2013, 7:58am

Would you want him to be your father if you were Gay, No Way !

1. Mumbo Jumbo 16 Mar 2013, 8:14am

Would you want a closed-minded fool whose love was conditional as your father if you were straight?

4. Kimiko Kotani 16 Mar 2013, 8:33am

That makes me so sad. What kind of man admits he’d hate on his own child, simply for being who they are? As a parent of a gay child myself, I can’t wrap my head around not giving unconditional love to ALL your children and not being there to give support to one who just might need you to lean on a bit more than the others, due to having to face outright bigotry in person and in the media and the emotional strain that places on a person.

5. Only stupid people don’t change their minds.

6. Robert in S. Kensington 16 Mar 2013, 11:46am

First of all, he’s following his catholic faith. He spearheaded a lawsuit to uphold the ban on equal marriage to the tune od $2-3 million. He is also rumoured to have had several extra-marital affairs. He’s going to lose this one but then he’s a loser anyway.

Having a gay child doesn’t necessary make anyone change their attitude. American right wing hatemonger Phyllis Schafly of the Eagle Forum has an openly gay son, yet she’s still leading the charge to ban equal marriage.

7. Helge V. Tiller 16 Mar 2013, 12:02pm

Boehner sounds less intelligent and intellectual than a child in a kindergarten.

8. GulliverUK 16 Mar 2013, 1:29pm

So he was born in 1949, when some churches and states prohibited interracial marriages, and if his church had taught him that interracial marriage was a sin and wrong … presumably he’d have stuck to that … OR has stuck with that?!

And over the years various churches have changed their position on all sorts of things. He’s a Roman Catholic. They changed the Sabbath from Saturday (the actual Sabbath) to Sunday. What about Vatican II? They invented the trinity – which has no basis in the Bible. They outlawed marriage of priests, yet the Bible says Bishops should be married !

9. Can someone please pull the plug on the Republican Party.

10. So he’s saying that he has very specific views and no matter what evidence is presented in contradiction, he refuses to even consider changing these views. I don’t know about you, but I demand more from my political leaders.

1. GulliverUK 16 Mar 2013, 2:56pm

It shows at least blind loyalty !

But I’m not clear if he stands in office as a political leader, or a religious one.

11. GulliverUK 16 Mar 2013, 3:31pm

Despite people holding certain beliefs regarding people who are gay, the poll data (at least here in the UK) shows that most WILL change them if it is THEIR child.

He’s 63, but even if he were 65+, he’s still be far more likely accept his son or daughter and support them, at least according to the UK 2009 Populus survey.

Page 7. “Q.4 If your child came out as gay, which of the following best describes how you would react?”. Taking those who said “I would feel upset but try to understand and come to terms with it” or “I would embrace it – wouldn’t be an issue“, in the 55-64 age range that’s 87%, or for 65+ that’s still 75%.

here’s the link;

12. I still think his name should be pronounced, “Boner”

13. I can`t imagine him chancging his mind either. Once a Bigot always a Bigot..

14. Beware the weasel words of politicians, folks. ‘Can’t imagine’ is not the same as ‘never will’. ‘Can’t imagine’ just means ‘at present I foresee no circumstances’. He could thus be giving himself a get-out for a possibly near future in which he wants to avoid political marginalisation.

15. PeterinSydney 16 Mar 2013, 10:53pm

Once a GOP homophobe, always a GOP homophobe.

16. Christopher in Canada 17 Mar 2013, 12:02am

The key words are “can’t imagine”. The sign of a limited intellect.

17. He may never change his mind, but someday he’ll die off.