Former Take That manager claims his bar alone owns the right to use the word ‘QUEER’ nationally

1. I think all that money Nigel Martin-Smith has put into building his brand would of been better used chucking it into the canal after this.

His good will meter is now at zero!

2. *not first comment* I think Pink News is pissed I’ve just deleted their app.

3. This is the most ridiculous thing I’ve heard since Paris Hilton and “That’s hot”

4. Robert in S. Kensington 15 Mar 2013, 7:02pm

No wonder this was picked up by the Daily Mail. The use of the term “queer’ plays right into their bigoted readership. Shame on Smith for promoting a homophobic epithet, a term that has a very perjorative meaning, especially when bullying is on the rise. Sometimes our own are our worst enemies.

5. I’ve never heard of either so it can’t be a national brand name I’m queer (lower case) free publicity

6. I don’t like trademarking. Unless you invent the word you shouldn’t have the right to exclusivity… simple rules of intellectual property.

1. I bet if you owned a registered trade mark you wouldn’t say that. Trade marks are necessary to allow the public to determine the origin of a product. Without them you could never be sure that your iPhone was an iPhone, or your Liquid Silk was Liquid Silk, or your Maximuscle was Maximuscle. Descriptive terms are generally not permitted as trademarks as others need to be free to use such terms. It looks like in this case the Intellectual Property Office possibly granted one they shouldn’t have, and if that’s the case, the mark will be revoked.

1. John Antrobus 17 Mar 2013, 12:20pm

Invalidated, not revoked. Revocation is for non-use, which doesn’t apply here.

7. ColinJones 15 Mar 2013, 8:23pm

Queer is a disgusting little word which is apparently OK to use because it has been “reclaimed” mainly by a loud-mouthed gay elite who use it with abandon and think everybody who’s gay is relaxed with it, well I’m not.

8. I was under the impression that the word queer, as reclaimed, described anyone who chose to not conform to gender stereotyping.

1. Gender and sexuality.

1. Indeed.

9. Nigel, you really haven’t thought this through!

10. Reminds me when Victoria Beckham tried to stop Peterborough United Football Club from using their nickname ‘Posh’. You must be completely conceited to do such a thing. Laughable really.

11. never heard of either of them!!

12. “It is admitted that the bar has acquired a reputation and goodwill in the gay community in and around Manchester”

The funniest thing I’ve heard all night. 90% of Queer’s clientele is straight and it’s known within the village as the the place to go if you want something a bit stronger than alcohol. It’s an absolutely rancid place with the worst atmosphere in the village. Rather than fighting this ridiculous nonsense, Nigel Martin-Smith should spend more of his time, money and energy on improving his disgusting bar and making it a place worth visiting in Manchester.

1. Agreed. Last time I went, the only gay people in the joint were about 3 staff behind the bar plus myself and a couple of friends.
      Everyone else in the joint was the average Yates’s winelodge crowd, and the blokes were clamped tightly to their girlfriends arms like they were liferafts in a sea of gayness.
      The trademark name is a misnomer.
      Hilariously tragic!

13. I don’t know the bar, but I do think Mr Smith has been foolish with his court action. I can’t see how he claim any rights or ownership over the word ‘queer’ no more than anyone could claim the rights over ‘home cooked’ or ‘free range’ or ‘organic’.

Mr Smith seems like the company of lawyers, though. I remember his legal disputes with his ex-band Take That. If I remember correctly, it was Mr Smith who ended up taking that, and I think he’s about to swallow the same medicine twice.

14. ‘Queer’ is a disgusting homophobic word that shouldn’t be adopted by the LGBT community to describe ourselves. As the word is homophobic the club should be closed down or forced to change its name. Anyone who frequents such a place or thinks that it is now ‘cool’ to describe ourselves as ‘queer’ is a complete and utter fool. Daily Mail readers are probably laughing their heads off at the idea that not only they, but LGBT people also, describe us as ‘queer’.

1. I don’t like the word Dyke..but I’d never tell someone else to to use it. Plenty of black people have referred to themselves as ni***s, I hate it, but it’s their right! And in truth…and word can be used as vile. It’s not what you say but HOW you say it!

1. I get what you’re saying Mickie, but if a nightclub was opened called “Nigger”, I seriously doubt that black people would go to it. It’s more likely that they would protest to have it closed. I’m shocked that there are enough people in the LGBT community who’ve accepted the word “Queer” to the point that they’ll visit a nightclub with that name. Perhaps I’m just getting older, but I still have some self-respect.

15. I’m glad of this story because it shows the whole country what a vile character Nigel is! People close to the village and his staff have had to put up with his arrogant bullying for years. Nothing like your true colours shing through Nigel.
    Go to hell!

16. Idiot. Total and complete. In an ideal world us queers would ban him from using the word………..

17. SO if I used the word Queer…will he come and try to sue me too?

Shall we test it?!

Queer! Queer! Queer! Queer! Queer!
    Queer! Queer! Queer! Queer! Queer!
    Queer! Queer! Queer! Queer! Queer!

1. The US state of Tennessee are getting another idea;

DO NOT SAY QUEER BILL!

2. John Antrobus 17 Mar 2013, 12:27pm

No, because you’re not using the word in trade. That’s the point of a trade mark. I’m free to use the word apple, but not if I stick onto a computer and sell it.

18. Mr. Smith’s company is Bar Queer Ltd. I suggest that he also sues anyone who uses the words ‘Bar’ or ‘Ltd’. Surely if anyone else were to use these terms it would confuse customers.

1. John Antrobus 17 Mar 2013, 12:29pm

He hasn’t got a trade mark registration for BAR or for LTD, but he has for QUEER.

19. Would black people open a nightclub called “nigger”? If a black person did, do you think other black people would visit a nightclub called “nigger”?

I’m guessing that the answer is ‘no’, so why do we have a nightclub called “queer” and why would any of us with any self-respect go into a nightclub called “queer”?

20. GingerlyColors 16 Mar 2013, 12:35am

Yet another stupid court case. The issue here is basically about who owns the English language. Not all that long ago a pub in the Yorkshire Dales which I visit regularly was the subject of legal action by KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) over the use of the term ‘family feast’ on their menu, something which KFC felt they had sole rights to. KFC quickly saw sense and dropped the case following public ridicule over the whole thing to save embarrassment.
    The word ‘queer’ which means ‘strange’, ‘peculiar’ or ‘odd’ has been in the English language since Saxon times. Like ‘gay’ which means ‘bright’ and ‘happy’, ‘queer’ has become an LGBT term. As children, we probably read Enid Blyton’s Noddy being happy and gay one day then feeling a bit queer the next. I am queer and I dare Nigel Martin-Smith to sue me.

21. To hell wth Mr Martin Smith. There was Queer Nation before Take That was even thought of! Whatever you may think of the Q word, it has been adopted by some of the more militant campaigners. Martin Smith has no right to take complete ownership of that word or aspiration. I hope Queer venues open all over the place and give him a hell of a headache.He talks of accruing goodwill. He & his rag tag army of lawyers are actually accruing nothing but ill-will with this nasty court campaign.

22. The Nightingale club in Birmingham used to have a Student night called QUEER STREET… many years before Queer in Manchester opened from what I have been able to find out…. The people who own the Nightingale OWN Queer street.
    What a silly little man

23. Hope this case fails horribly.

As a queer woman this thread really makes me glad I’m queer, not lesbian. I think I’d describe “queer” to me as, among other things, being a woman who sleeps with women who, when groped and denigrated by misogynist gay men in a gay club, will certainly bash back.

Maybe doing so *is* a generational thing.

1. I’m shocked to hear that you’ve been “groped” by gay men, considering that you’re a woman; also shocked that you’d “bash” gay men, considering that you’re lesbian.

1. Suddenly Last Bummer 16 Mar 2013, 9:11am

Its Millie Tant from Viz.

24. Davey Baalmann 16 Mar 2013, 6:56am

hell we were QUEER years before this baby took his first steps.

25. “In Queer Street” is an old fashioned term for being in money trouble. It predates the use of the word queer in the modern sense as an insult for gay people.

He doesn’t stand a chance of winning and has probably just damaged his reputation even further, judging by the comments here.

26. Just this week on Gordon Ramsay’s “Hell’s Kitchen” show someone attempted to do the same in Baltimore with the local term of endearment “hon'” (short for ‘honey’).
    She trademarked it and sent out loads of angry cease and desist notifications to anyone daring to use it in print without her prior consent… then she wondered why all the locals hated her with a passion and stopped frequenting her restaurant.
    I hope the same happens to this tosser.
    I have no particular love for the word ‘queer’, but trademarking a word in common circulation is a jerkwad thing to do.

27. QUEER is used as a term of defiance by some in the gay community – I support that, i.e. “We’re here, we’re queer, get use to it”. And in some website names.

But obviously some people use all sorts of words in an abusive way, ‘queer’ is one of those, so is ‘gay’, and some call us deviants, .. well, all sorts, you know what they are. The word isn’t used much as far as I can see, so it’s not a big issue, but where it’s used by some as a term of abuse against us I’m fairly sure we can take those people to task whilst allowing it’s use as a term of defiance also.

As for who owns it – all we know for sure is that nobody does, certainly not Nigel Martin-Smith !

1. Spanner1960 17 Mar 2013, 7:08am

Maybe I should open a “Faggot Bar”, “Shirtlifter Pub” or even “Chutney Ferret Curry House” then.

1. Liam the God 17 Mar 2013, 3:18pm

How about “The Chocolate Starfish”? You’d have to be careful about the picture you put on the pub sign…..

28. Hate the word Queer! It’s demeaning and belongs back in the 70s/80s. Don’t know why some people like to still use it. Certainly would never visit a bar/club with such a name. We have moved on so much in the last decade or so, time to leave the homophobic language back in the past where it belongs and move on.

29. That bloke you got in the picture is super hot and sexy!

I love those abs!

I wish I had abs just like that!

1. Good reply *misses the point totally*

30. I think I’ll trademark the word ‘Bar’

1. John Antrobus 17 Mar 2013, 12:40pm

There are already a number of trade mark registrations in the UK for the word BAR, including a few stylisations, but you won’t get a registration for it in relation to bars because it’s descriptive. That’s why Apple can register their mark for computers but not for, er, apples.

31. Considering the term “Queer” has been in general usage as a term for gays for longer than his business has existed, I think he’s got a lot of “brass” trying to claim “exclusivity” of it.

32. Queer Street joined facebook 18/9/2012, opened 27/9/12.
    ‘Queer’ as a trademark was applied for 20/9/12, advertised 23/11/12 (which is the first time anyone would have known of the application)

33. Why would you use that name for a gay bar considering, in my opinion anyway, it’s up there with the faggot as an insult!

If I actually went to gay bars I wouldn’t go in one of his bars because of the name!

34. Paul Murphy 22 Mar 2013, 9:34pm

The fact is, whether you agree with this action or not, Nigel Martin Smith has invested in a “brand” which he has put time and money into developing. He has registered the word “Queer” as a trademark related to bars and has every right to challenge anyone that infringes the trademark. If he was not able to do this then that would undermine the trademark system and brands would become a thing of the past.