Father’s heartwarming letter to son after overhearing his plans to come out goes viral

1. Sister Mary Clarence 15 Mar 2013, 6:28pm

Blimey, eyes gone a bit watery for some reason

1. casparthegood 15 Mar 2013, 8:14pm

I’m blaming the dusty room

1. I think in my case it’s my liquified heart coming out from my eyes, because the PS of the letter melted it.

2. My bottom lip wobbled a bit. I must be tired…

3. A friend posted this on Facebook yesterday and, curiously, everything went a bit blurry for a bit for me too.

2. Awwwwww this is so sweet. I wish more parents could be like this Dad.

3. Gave me goosebumps. Very Cool. One day a kid just going to say it and not feel like he needs to prepare and his/her parents are going to be like “duh”. lol

1. One day a kid won’t need to say it, because people won’t see heterosexuality as the default and society won’t be heteronormative.

1. greater than a love poem is the poetry of love.

4. Misplaced apostrophe in ‘father’s’. The spelling and grammar on Pink News is generally terrible.

1. I’ve just read this to my partner – voice went all croaky and eyes went all teary before I could finish – what a great dad!asshole!

1. No not what I meant to say! The asshole is the idiot commenting on the spelling – not the dad – and now me of course!

2. “The spelling and grammar on Pink News *are* generally terrible.”

Not quite the master of your own subject, it would seem.

1. Heh. Good one.

5. Oh wow, so beautiful, so charming, so caring, so loving. This sort of thing is incredible. It makes one stop and see how life can be so beautiful and how it can be done so easily but a wonderful gesture of true compassion and understanding.

6. love is all you need.

7. I’ve just read this to my partner – voice went all croaky and eyes went all teary before I could finish – what a great dad!

8. All you need is love.

9. All you need is Love

1. Love is all you need

10. I wish my Dad was like this when I was younger! I’m 25 and still not out to my family after being in a 6 year relationship with the love of my life lol, oh boy.. =P

11. Short and sweet letter from a loving dad. Sorry, I seem to have something in my eye….

1. Funny, I have the same thing :-P

12. The PS melted my heart. :-D

I came out of the transgender and bisexual closet last December and I am blessed to say my parents and my sister accepted my greatly and only with love in their hearts. Parents like mine and like Mike’s personify the real meaning of the words “parent” and “family”. Any parent who would think otherwise in case of his child coming out doesn’t deserve to be called a parent – in fact doesn’t deserve to be called a human being at all.

1. correction: “…like Nate’s…”, I mistook the name of the son :-P

13. Wow wow wow… So simple, so moving, so heartfelt…. What a father! The letters gone viral? I sure wish the Pope would read it. Now THAT’S pure love… Gotta go now, my keyboards getting tears on it.

14. Liam the God 15 Mar 2013, 11:05pm

Nice to see a HAPPY outcome reported, isn’t it? What a shame it doesn’t reach the Daily Mail or Express.
    Nate, you have a BRILLIANT dad!

15. One word…Beautiful!!!

16. Can we nominate Nate’s Dad for PinkNews Parent of the Year award? If there isn’t such an award, can we create it?

I wish the story could be publicised on mainstream media to give an example of how parents should handle their kids’ coming out. I’m sure there are plenty of Daily Mail/Express readers who will have or have had their children coming out, that could find this story helpful – hopefully!

17. It’s a lovely, lovely letter and, without wishing to undermine maternal love in any way, it’s somehow special that it’s the father who’s chosen to write it – welcome evidence that not all heterosexual men have difficulty with their sons being gay.

18. Craig Nelson 16 Mar 2013, 1:27pm

It’s nice he saved his boy the stress and anxiety of coming out. All those years of wise watchful waiting, waiting for the right moment. Must have been a strange sensation to have read the letter.

19. Helge Vladimir Tiller 16 Mar 2013, 2:46pm

Why shouldn’t I be entirely happy today ? Those parents deserve flowers from all around The World. Their minds and hearts are superb—and it spreads around. Just read the comments—Today I intend to share my happy tears with people I meet, and tell them about this lovely letter ! All around Oslo ! (Norway)

1. Yes Helge, love spreads love! Perhaps the many Christians who spend every moment hating, should learn how to love a little. They might actually like it and realise that it improves their lives as well as the lives of others.

I hope the people you met in Oslo today gave you a great big hug when you shared your “happy tears” with them. :-)

20. Helge Vladimir Tiller 16 Mar 2013, 3:32pm

I’ll explain my deeply emotional reaction; My father beat me over and over again when I was a child,in spite of my inborn heart error.( I almost died at the age of 13) I also cross-dressed- so maybe this was the real reason why he tortured me ?! It was very, very hard–and he continued this punishment for several years. THIS is why I cry and feel happy when I read about wonderful parents like these two ! Lucky -lucky boy ; You have a bright future !

21. Why are beautiful letters like this one, still so few and far between?
    I try to do the same with some of the gay students I teach who come out to me but not to their parents, by making them understand that there are people who care about them, and will not harm or hurt them. Life is so intense as a young person and ……. you have wonderful loving parents. Thank you to both of them for realising that your son loves you very much and wants to be recognised and fully accepted and loved.
    I cried when I read it.

22. I agree the father should love the son no matter what, but encouraging such a perverse lifestyle will damage his kid.

1. Liam the God 18 Mar 2013, 3:43pm

James, go back to Westboro’ where you belong, twat.

1. Liam the God 18 Mar 2013, 3:44pm

JASON, you’re a twat, not James!
        We REALLY need an EDIT function!!

23. Simply beautiful.