UK: LGBT community urged to give up cigarettes as part of No Smoking Day

1. Who will be the first to make a “fag” joke. Oh I think I just did

1. You homophobe – you should be ashamed of yourself, giving in to stereotypes – BIGOT – get of the pink news comment boxes

2. “By tallying up the exact amount of money that could be saved, smokers can work towards an actual goal – be it a new pair of shoes, a house makeover or a dream holiday.”

Worthy cause, but how patronising is this?! Not all of us are this stereotypical.

1. Spanner1960 13 Mar 2013, 9:47pm

Wanna bet?

3. I’m sick of my community being compared to the heterosexual community. So, what I can see we (I mean lesbians here of course) are fat, we (all of us) smoke more, drink & do drugs more. What a drain! These are symptoms of a wider issue – discrimination! Pump money into preventing that instead of masking symptoms.

1. Spanner1960 13 Mar 2013, 9:49pm

Discrimination has jack shit to do with it.
      I would say the primary cause we can afford to because we have a higher disposable income than most of those in the heterosexual ‘community’.

Get down of your crucifix love, somebody needs the wood.

4. Quitting was the most difficult thing I have ever had to do in my entire life.

After a dozen or more attempts to stop smoking over a 14 year period, I started to reduce the number of cigarettes I smoked in a day, starting with the last one before going to bed.

Six months later, I was smoking only one cigarette a day, the one with my morning coffee. Giving up that last cigarette was the easiest thing I’ve ever done.

That was 15 years ago, and good riddance to nicotine.

1. Enormous respect for anyone who succeeds in giving up smoking.
      Congratulations.

2. Dave North 13 Mar 2013, 5:18pm

A couple of aneurisms and a DVT helped me stop immediately.

I am however now hooked on the electronic variety.

At lest they don’t have the tar in them.

1. Congrats, Dave. :D

5. I am currently in London and very thankful for the strict non-smoking policy indoors. I was on a pub crawl on friday!!! Imagine that! In Berlin where I live there aren’t even enough non-smoking gay bars to do so and even there people ignore the ban.
    Thanks to the UK community for making it possible for me to take part!

1. Spanner1960 13 Mar 2013, 9:51pm

Just like everything else in the EU. The UK bends over backwards to support barmy laws, while the rest of Europe just laughs and sticks two fingers up at Brussels.

2. Spanner1960 13 Mar 2013, 9:53pm

Don’t quit smoking.
      Just go sideways and take up e-cigs.
      (and not those pony lookalike things either)
      Safe, cheap and you can use them in the pub. It’s so much easier than struggling with trying to stop doing something you are not only addicted to but actually enjoy.