Study: Sexuality can be revealed by the type of music you ‘like’ on Facebook

1. Were lesbians left out of the whole study or just your article?

1. Spanner1960 12 Mar 2013, 3:52pm

They weren’t left out, but apparently it is statistically easier to spot gay men on Facebook than it is lesbians. ‘Liking’ Furry Cups might be a bit of a giveaway though…

2. Yeap facebook are forever changing their privacy settings to chip away it gradually making everything public. If your not ready for that then either don’t use facebook or don’t like things.

1. Spanner1960 12 Mar 2013, 4:00pm

They aren’t “chipping away” at it, they have to conform to legal requirements.
      What they do is bury the settings and make them so complicated that nobody knows what they are doing.

3. “Study: Sexuality can be revealed by the type of music you ‘like’ on Facebook.”

Considering the range of hobbies, and other facebook behaviours this study focus’ on, the title may be a tad disingenuous.

Also a source link would be nice. ;D

1. Spanner1960 12 Mar 2013, 4:01pm

Judy Garland, Village People, Gloria Gaynor, Pet Shop Boys, Abba…. the list goes on. ;)

1. Dave North 12 Mar 2013, 4:06pm

If you agree with stereotypes, that is.

1. Spanner1960 13 Mar 2013, 9:44pm

Yes I do.
          Do you think they just appear out of nowhere?

4. My favourite thing about this was that their findings were published in an academic journal called PNAS – try saying it out loud.

[Proceedings Of The National Academy Of Sciences]

5. Yet another reason I am glad I left Facebook. I can’t bear the automated analysis of poeople based on algorithms and arbitrary ‘likes’. I ‘liked’ several pages purely so I could monitor what was being said. I’d hate to think they would be taken into account when FB decided to label me.

6. GingerlyColors 13 Mar 2013, 6:16pm

People taste for music varies not because of the sexuality of the performers but because of the type of music that they play. I like ABBA, Queen and the Pet Shop Boys who are associated with the gay scene but I also like Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, Marillion, Ultravox and Roxy Music which covers a range from classic and progressive rock to more conservative type music.
    Queen and ABBA for example were hugely popular bands and were active during a time when the LGBT movement were just getting established and gay rights marches were protests, not the celebration of diversity they are now. I can safely say that at least 90% of Queen and ABBA fans were straight.

1. Spanner1960 13 Mar 2013, 9:45pm

“I like ABBA, Queen and the Pet Shop Boys…”
      Please tell Dave North that, or are you just somebody that coincidentally matches the stereotype?