London: Anti-gay marriage protest to take place in Trafalgar Square by French activists

1. Ah yes, a nice outing for homophobes and bigots everywhere.

Hopefully they’ll enjoy their protest, the photographs of which will remain a shameful reminder for future generations to remember just what being gay and in love in 2013 England/Europe, really was like.

2. Self loating closet cases.

3. Good luck with that. We will eat them for lunch.

4. Jock S. Trap 11 Mar 2013, 1:22pm

Typical of bigots.

If they can’t win then go to another country that is expecting equality and try to be a bigger bigot there.

Pathetic people… and completely stupid!

5. Kate Griffiths 11 Mar 2013, 1:26pm

Why can’t the French just hop it? It is nothing to do with them

1. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Mar 2013, 2:02pm

I suspect Widders and her smelly hate group C4M orchestrated the whole thing.

2. The French protest against gay marriage is takin place for the third time in France on March 24th so I guess the French who are in England can’t be arsed to go back to thier own country to protest.

1. their*

1. Kate Griffiths 11 Mar 2013, 5:38pm

they keep on croaking about something that is nothing to do with them. I find ironic that they are protesting is Trafalgar Square. Are they using Waterloo Station tio get there?

6. Mumbo Jumbo 11 Mar 2013, 1:28pm

Palm Sunday? Is that when they all masturbate?

1. Haha. No. It’s when you curl the digits of your right hand into your palm – leaving the middle one upright and give them the “Up Yours” salute.

7. I shall be there, with my wife, waiting for them :)

8. BE THERE folks!

9. CH Brighton 11 Mar 2013, 1:32pm

They’re presumably doing it to support the British contingent that went to Paris to support their demos there. On the other hand, I’ve been supporting gender neutral marriage in both Britain and France, so it does work both ways – and we’re winning!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Mar 2013, 2:24pm

Really, I was unaware some our own went to Paris, I wonder how many? I would be very surprised if a lot come from Paris. Tragalgar Square isn’t that big anyway. Let’s hope it rains heavily on their parade of hate.

1. CH Brighton 11 Mar 2013, 7:04pm

Robert: here’s a link to a Telegraph article that mentions British evangelical christians going to Paris for one of the anti-equal marriage demos in January: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9798945/Gay-marriage-Catholics-plan-wave-of-grassroots-protests.html

10. DivusAntinous 11 Mar 2013, 1:42pm

Wow. What a great success this will be.

Should be fun to watch.

11. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Mar 2013, 1:52pm

Bloody nerve. French bigots coming to the UK to incite homophobia? Of course, there won’t be one in support of equal marriage will there?

What fools. It’s going to pass into law in France on April 2, 2013.

12. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Mar 2013, 2:01pm

I doubt if we’ll see 340,000 (the amount apparently seen in Paris against equal marriage) congregating in Trafalgar Square, I doubt if it could hold one tenth of that. I have a problem with foreigners coming to the UK to foment homophobia. I hope it can be stopped. If it goes ahead, I hope they get a bill to clean up any mess, similar to the one the Mayor of Paris issued.

13. ColinJones 11 Mar 2013, 2:02pm

Why are the French the only people in Western Europe to be making a big issue of equal marriage? I’m a supporter of the EU in general but this lot need to be booted back over the channel as soon as possible.

14. I hope there isn’t a World War 3. They’re on there own if there is …. ungrateful wretches :)

15. Ooo… that puts the bigots of UKIP in a bit of a quandary, don’t it?

1. Tee-hee!

16. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Mar 2013, 3:03pm

Ironic isn’t it, Palm Sunday, an important day in mainstream Christianity and they choose to promote discrimination, hatred and homophobia.. Proof positive they’re not really Christians spreading love instead of hate. I’m surprised the Christian Institute isn’t calling it blasphemous to be doing it on such a day.

17. What a bloody sauce…coming to the UK and spreading hate. God…they’ve never forgiven us for Agincourt have they.

1. Liam the God 11 Mar 2013, 6:51pm

They’re still upset about the destruction of the French Navy at Casablanca in 1940 by the Royal Navy, done on Churchill’s order.

18. soapbubblequeen 11 Mar 2013, 3:13pm

Oh really! Well I think we should get mobilized and plan a counter-demonstration then? I think we should dress as all the bigots (keith O’Brien, Ann Widdecombe, Melanie “Mother” Phillips) and take the piss out of them all.

19. camille Basura 11 Mar 2013, 3:28pm

In fact it is a peaceful demonstration. Any form of violence and homophobia will be prohibit. They defends the right to each child to have a mother and a father.

1. AngryAtCamille 11 Mar 2013, 3:33pm

Camille: bugger off to a cave. You dinosaur. You and your hateful kind are a dying breed and I can’t wait for the day till all of you are gone from the surface of this planet.

2. bobbleobble 11 Mar 2013, 3:34pm

The whole protest is a manifestation of homophobia whether you like that or not.

The rights of children to parents is irrelevant to whether or not two people of the same sex can get married. They are different issues. Plus surely the point is to have good parents. A heterosexual couple is not automatically a good parenting unit.

3. Christopher Coleman 11 Mar 2013, 3:37pm

Every child, including orphans, DOES have a mother and father. It is essential for conception.

4. Camille as Christopher Coleman stated every child has a mother and father it’s how conception works. Wake up to the reality that two people of the same sex can love each other as much as any couple of opposite sex. Not only that, these people via adoption can offer a stable loving environment for orphaned children often abandoned by couples of opposite sex who chose to marry and have children for all the wrong reasons.

The world is not the simple black and white that you see, peaceful it may be but homophobic it is. An irrational and illogical opposition to decent homosexual couples who simply want to be treated with the dignity they deserve.

5. casparthegood 11 Mar 2013, 4:19pm

Am loving the irony of the location.

1. I did think that : )

6. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Mar 2013, 6:00pm

Stupid bint. What about widows and widowers with children who don’t remarry? The fact that they are to protest is homophobia in and of itself.

7. Grettings from Madrid, here. Do you all know that ‘Basura’ actually means ‘rubbish’ in Spanish? Odd, innit?

8. soapbubblequeen 14 Mar 2013, 6:34pm

Camille, I hope your Eurostar train derails on its way back to France, you old frog-faced hag.

20. Christopher Coleman 11 Mar 2013, 3:31pm

The French are coming into London carrying banners and a message. Palm Sunday celebrates Jesus riding into Jerusalem on an ass. Interesting how some Christians empathize with the ass rather than Jesus. That’s animal lovers for you.

21. Right….where do we meet to to protest against these bastards???

I’m going along, who else is coming?

1. casparthegood 11 Mar 2013, 4:15pm

sorry that should have been a thumbs up

22. Christopher Coleman 11 Mar 2013, 3:35pm

Palm Sunday remembers Jesus entering Jerusalem on an ass. I doubt that Londoners will line street to cheer these French asses.

23. I hope everyone in Europe plans to travel there to make a stand. Show them the kind of support there is against their hatred.
    Gay marriage will become inclusive and history will use the images from these protests to demonstrate our struggles for equality.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Mar 2013, 6:02pm

I doubt if there will be anyone there to jeer at them, sadly. In any event, I hope it pisses down with rain.

24. George Broadhead 11 Mar 2013, 3:50pm

I wonder if rabid Catholic Ann Widdecombe has made any comment about the resignation of the disgraced old hypocrite Cardinal Keith O’Brian. Perhaps she’s thought it better to keep mum.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Mar 2013, 5:58pm

I raised that point a few days ago. No, she hasn’t and she won’t. I also find it interesting that she urged people to take to the streets to protest equal marriage. and now the French are suddenly do it for her. Bizarre!

1. Westboro Widdecombe has been unusually silent on the topic of Cardinal Keith O’Brian’s implosion.

25. Frenchies telling Brits what laws to make: sound like an own goal in the making to me!

26. Mazzy Knight 11 Mar 2013, 4:03pm

Why is this government allowing French protesters to use Trafalgar Square for their protest? The last time I looked at a map of Europe, London (and Trafalgar Square) was still in England. I’m not against lawful protest or French people but why should the French protesters be allowed to interfere in our domestic politics? I can’t see the French politicians allowing us to protest against them on the Champs-Elysees

1. Of course they’d let us. It’s a free continent with free movement. But travelling to other people’s countries to protest their laws is also pretty much the height of the desperation of a limp movement. If I didn’t know better I’d almost think these hopeless buffoons realise they’re about to lose the argument on both sides of the Channel.

2. Liam the God 11 Mar 2013, 6:54pm

Because any time Brits go to Europe in any number they get beaten up by the locals and Police, who then blame the Brits for “Being Hooligans”. We’re still carrying THAT baggage around thirty years on :/

27. I bet they’re not kettled like the anti capitalist protestors

28. Pavlos Prince of Greece 11 Mar 2013, 4:11pm

‘Defenders of Napoleonic Codex’ (as French anti-gay marriage activists name himself) will protest at the Trafalgar Square. Are they masochistic, self-ironic or simply not familiar with history ? Anyway, very bad sign for them, I hope.

1. That There Other David 11 Mar 2013, 5:02pm

Hilarious isn’t it? Just a shame the trains from Paris don’t still come into Waterloo Station :-)

1. Pavlos Prince of Greece 11 Mar 2013, 5:47pm

Hm, maybe they will try to come on the ship ? Anyway, its great Catholic tradition since times of Philip II. Good luck ….

29. Pardon me for saying this, but what business is it of a bunch of bigoted foreigners to wend their way over here and protest about an issue that is none of their damn business in the first place?

Good protesters of France, stick to your own country, and stay out of ours.

30. It’ll be a flop.

31. Hi everyone, this peaceful gathering is mainly intended to French nationals in the UK who want to show their concerns regarding the same sex marriage and adoption bill in France. You will understand that not everyone can make the trip back to France. By the way we were 800.000 in Paris on 13 January (not 340.000). We hope that everything will go well and do not mean to offend anyone, we all have values we want to defend and are not homophobic or religious freaks in the least.

1. bobbleobble 11 Mar 2013, 4:35pm

Seeking to deny gay people the same rights you enjoy is homophobic by definition. You want to protest what’s going on in France then go to France and protest.

340000 is the figure your police force put on turnout and I’d rather believe their figures than the vastly inflated estimates of the organisers of your homophobic cavalcade. Oh and I am offended. The so called values you seek to defend are those of prejudice and inequality and are thoroughly shameful.

2. Dave North 11 Mar 2013, 4:51pm

“and do not mean to offend anyone,”

You are joking?”

3. marshlander 11 Mar 2013, 4:55pm

What values would they be then, because they certainly do not seem to be the sort of “values” I would want my children or grandchildren to espouse. My partner and I have been together for ten years and we have decided to marry in whichever of our two countries, England or France, allows it first. Neither the PACS nor Civil Partnership makes us feel equal with our many straight, married friends. Separate, but equal is not equal and amounts to discrimination. I might consider conceding a bit of ground if every straight couple who married in a registry office were to be designated “civil partners”. Since that is unlikely, I’ll take marriage, thank you very much.

If you do not agree with same sex marriage you should really marry someone of the opposite sex. I have yet to meet any anti-equality campaigner who has been able to present any kind of rational argument for their point of view. You may declare you are not homophobic but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck …

4. If as you claim, you’re trying to send a message to the French Government, then surely the organisation that paid to allegedly move 800000 of you to and from Paris can pay for you to go to France. Or at the very least, stand outside the French embassy building in London where representatives of the French government can directly observe your protest.
      The fact that you’re planning to stand around in such a public, and quite franky British place is proof enough that you’re message is not aimed at a French audience. You are trying to send a message to the people living in the UK and don’t even have the courage to admit to it.

5. But this is English business. If you don’t like the fact that England is moving towards full equality then leave. You have no right to do this – peaceful of not – and I, personally, find it highly offensive.

6. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Mar 2013, 5:55pm

Really? According to French police on the day of the demonstration, they estimated only 340,000. So what you are saying is the French police are wrong? Provide us with the facts for your number. That you intend to be at the London protest most definitely has everything to do with homophobia, all of it based in religious bigotry, in your case, catholicism. Why can’t you at least be honest about it? The real threat to marriage are delusional heterosexuals who commit adultery, sometimes many times over and father children out of wedlock. If you’re so concerned about marriage and the family, why don’t you and your gang of hate-mongering bigots concentrate on getting their own filthy house in order first?

7. This action is homophobic. Please take the time to study the meaning of this word before posting, otherwise you are either mistaking or lying and that is intellectually offensive on top of everything else. And that bit about ‘do not mean to offend anyone.”? Well, you’ve already failed there!

32. Imagine if only these religion-boggled morons actually put this kind of effort and expense into actually…I don’t know…helping people. Crazy notion, right?

1. That There Other David 11 Mar 2013, 5:05pm

Yep. Here we are in a world full of poverty, hunger and people suffering under dictatorships etc. and what do they spend their time fighting? Loving couples that make them feel a bit icky.

Pathetique, n’est-ce pas?

33. They’re actually proud of their bigotry and hate. They should all wear pointed white hooded smocks with their eyes cut out.

They’ll be looked upon with as much disgust as the majority now look on these cretins………

34. This is an outrage. Where else in the world would this actually be allowed to take place. Makes me sick.
    Homophobic, religious nut jobs.

35. So now the bigots are not only protesting about something that doesn’t affect them in their own country, they’re also protesting about something that doesn’t affect them in another country (and still wouldn’t affect them if they lived there).

Yet we are still presumably expected to believe that their extensive efforts are to somehow “protect their religious freedom”, and not, say, because they have an irrational hatred of us, and a desperation to keep a harmless 3.5% of the population as 2nd class citizens no matter what lengths they have to go to.

Why is this such a priority for these people? Haven’t they got other things to worry about which are actually their business?

36. You failed in France, so now you’re planning a demonstration in a nation you don’t belong to and are not welcome in?
    Don’t worry, you’re doomed to fail here, as much as you failed there.

37. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Mar 2013, 6:06pm

Who is going to pay for the policing of foreign hate-mongers demonstrating in our city?. They should be charged for services rendered. Why should British taxpayers have to pay for French citizens? They have NO right to do it in a country that isn’t theirs.

38. While I’m a keen francophile myself, I can’t help thinking that trying to convince the British that the French are anti gay marriage might turn out to be a bit of an own goal on the part of the anti equality brigade.

Confirms my suspicion that the opponents of marriage equality are one of our greatest assets.

39. Liberté, égalité, fraternité… except for British gay people, evidently.

40. Okay then, 24th of March. I’ll be there with a copious supply of fermented tomatoes.

41. I’m French and… I’m so ASHAMED that this is happening, I don’t even understand why they would go to London for that, UK politics are none of their business…

42. I hope Boris gets some money out of them. They trashed the streets of Paris after their march there and then refused to coff up for the damage.

I’ve seen this march advertised on Christian website in the UK and it’s meant to be a joint march between the French and British christians against both the UK and French bills.

43. “The move could delight anti-equal marriage campaigner Ann Widdecombe.”

I am confused as to why that non sequitur has been inserted into the article. Aside from being (however obvious) speculation rather than any form of news, is Miss Widdecombe the only individual anti-SSM campaigner worthy of mention?

1. because Miss Widdecombe said that she was dissapointed that people weren’t taking to the street and protesting against it. The french are giving her what she asked for.

44. Liam the God 11 Mar 2013, 11:08pm

To paraphrase Jane Austin: “Bugger off back to yer garlic and hairy women!”.
    Or is that a line from “Old Harry’s Game”?

45. I support gay marriage but I do recognise others are entitled to oppose. It will be interesting to see how many will respond to the Trafalgar sq rally. Not very many I suspect!

46. I just enjoy reading English posts :D. Thanks for all the support guys! Now if you don’t mind, I , as an American, have to get back to the sacred duty of all Americans by butchering the English languages. Ta-Ta!

47. I’m confused how our MP’s are letting this happen. We aren’t protesting in their country, and i am sure they should be protesting over there, if they want to oppose such Bill.

It’s down to this countries law, and people, to decide what WE do for OUR rights, and it has nothing to do with outsiders of this country, to get involved in our law!!

48. So… is there going to be any kind of counter-protest on Sunday, or is everyone going to let the bigots have their way completely and control the narrative from beginning to end? Maybe everyone’s leaving it all up to poor, exhausted Tatchell as usual to do all the heavy lifting?

There WILL be press photographers there on Sunday – including myself – and if there is no visible resistance to this awful event, the newspaper editors will make a meal of the lack of political opposition; the Mail and the Telelgraph especially.

If, on the other hand, photographers are submitting stories to picture desks and agencies with representation by gay counter-protesters, the story of the event will HAVE to be written differently. That’s the nature of press coverage of protests.

I know the weather will be pretty horrible on Sunday, but the god-botherers love a bit of adversity – it suits their acute need to percieved as victimised martyrs suffering for their beliefs. Resistance is not futile!

49. There’s definitely a counter protest, although I’m not sure how big it will be.

One of my ex-colleagues (I don’t think he’s gay, but he’s French) is upset that his fellow countrymen are coming over here to protest equality. So he’s joining the counter protest to show that these bigots are in the minority of the French population.