Comment: Have we lost the real vision of ‘Pride’?

1. I don’t think we have lost it. Not at all. Pride is still about “come as you are.” LGBT groups are as well funded and well recognized as ever, but because of the Internet, visibility at events is less important to establish the same.

2. Steven Pringle 11 Mar 2013, 2:39pm

In 1974 the CHE group to I belonged arranged with Chatham Council for a Dance at the Corn Exchange. Though I had thought it was great I did nothing to press for having another one. I am ashamed of that. If Gay Pride means anything it means we are all activists. Thought if we had got regular dances I don’t think that by now two men would have one Strictly Come Dancing.

3. Sam - LGBT Travel UK 11 Mar 2013, 2:41pm

Some have, some haven’t. But most importantly we still have them as a whole. There is not equality for the LGBT community yet and even if it’s just passing the message to younger generations that being Gay is absolutely fine then I think Pride has its place. If only one person stops and thinks about how they are not alone then to me that is enough. I’ve linked to a great piece on our wordpress from Hull Pride that I think sums up a lot of opinions. Thanks!

4. I have volunteered with our local Pride organization going on 3 years now. Our event has changed from what was first seen as one big party to a family friendly event everyone is PROUD to attend. We work hard to remember where we came from as well as to continue to grow and change as Pride changes. I’m surprised at the last comment because our Pride isn’t well funded! We have worked hard to become a 501c3 and we work hard to get sponsors every year but the LGBT community is always grumbling because they feel the event should be free. They want to come to the party but they don’t want to help pay for it. It’s sad really. We have greater support from our allies. And thankfully we have a small but powerful group of volunteers who make Pride a HUGE success every year!

5. I always thought any Pride event was showing Pride in who WE are. The March was a free event and then People then went to (as in London years ago) to a place to get together have a picnic/party then out on the razzle at night. Now it’s a huge event followed by big events costing big money to get in. The march and the get together is the important bit Not the big names (with big fee’s) and extortionate priced clubs at night!

6. Simon Manley 11 Mar 2013, 3:31pm

I don’t know that we have lost it, I do think some people like to forget about it and just focus on the safe space for partying. I mainly get annoyed at Prides where the activism & support organization stalls are shoved off up a corner somewhere so that people don’t have to acknowledge them if they don’t wish too, whereas all the stall peddling the cheap tat are front and centre.

I would also like it if events that are marketed as LGBT Prides could do more to be truly inclusive. I am sick to death of the rampant biphobia I encounter at so many Prides, both from on-stage performers and other attendees; I cannot fathom why singling out and ridiculing bisexuals is deemed acceptable behaviour at an event that is supposedly a space where everyone can feel proud of who they are.

7. Abused by police 11 Mar 2013, 3:37pm

Certainly lost it where I live.

Its just a commercial event profiting the very select few.

Gay people who campaigned against section 28, for equal age of consent & for HIV/AIDS awareness in the face of institutional prejudice for years …ARE NOT WELCOME.

Gay poets & gay artists have been banned from my local Pride for being too gay and/or political.

…and then there is the hate campaign run by some of the pride committee to cover up, err, certain alleged activities £1 million tax fraud (a Court case in Nov 2013)

Pride was a protest & started in 1969 against police homophobic, discrimination, now `lesbian & gay activists are unwelcome at the Pride where I live. Its just lip service to gay equality to appease those very organisations which were (and still very much are) homophobic (Police, church, health services, etc.).

1. so true! all those struggles to be then f****d over by our own. The threat has not gone away…I read through these articles and see the present homophobic attacks from churches,politicians etc. Another young gay person, takes their life, yet another beaten for being different…so it goes on,We must reclaim pride,respect our history and those who stood their ground. Stand united,build strong lgbt communities for all ages and take the fight to them!

8. Abused by police 11 Mar 2013, 3:52pm

Certainly lost it where I live.

Its just a money making event scam for a select few.

Lesbian & gay people who campaigned openly for gay marriage, against section 28, to get equal age of consent & to raise awareness of HIV/AIDS in the face of institutional prejudice…are simply NOT WELCOME.

Gay artists & poets have been banned where I live for being too gay & gay political.

Plus a vicious internet hate campaign to silence those who raised questions about an alleged £1 million tax fraud by a member of the Pride committee where I live (Court case in Nov 2013).

Pride was a protest & started in 1969 as a reaction to police homophobia…but now its just lip service to gay equality to appease those institutions which were always homophobic…and now have to much say in how Prides are run.

Pride where I live has nothing to do with being gay or gay equality as far as I’m concerned, just a commercial pop event.

9. As years go by, things change and if something does not adapt and change with the times, they become stale and obsolete. We should honor and remember the reason pride exists, but the events need to adapt and change with the times. You might think they are just a party for drunkenness, but to some it is the first or only event where they can come ‘out’ and not feel like an outsider. They can walk in the sun as themselves. It is not easy for everyone to manage the hatred by being open and not everyone is in a position where they can be open. There is no country on this planet where LBGT people are truly free and safe. If you think so, then you are not reading the stories published right here on PinkNews.

10. sorry if this sounds bad but I’m a young gay man and I hate prides , full of old hairy men on drag , drunks and a lot of them off their faces on drugs . Don’t feel any connection to it , never been to one or plan to go in the future !

1. Does nothing to promote equality when you have people parading with their arses hanging out along with pissed up drag queens. Becomes a freak show and wins no one over.

1. you dragaphobic bigot

2. Well gee Carlos sorry it’s not all pretty and corporate enough for your lazy ass. Pride is about remembering when drag queens were beaten up and killed in the streets for being who they are. It was the drag queens, the transpeople and other disenfranchised who fought the initial fight so your pretty boy ass could sit there and complain. Get off your lazy good for nothing ass and give back to your community.

11. Pride died years ago

After years of participating in London’s annual celebration of gay culture, Ju Gosling feels less proud of attitudes to disabled people at this year’s event
    I “came out” in June 1997, after the end of a relationship that had lasted longer than it might have done because my partner was also my carer. Shortly afterwards I went to London Pride, where I was relieved to feel welcome and part of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans (LGBT) community. I was proud to be gay.

I later discovered that Regard, the national LGBT disabled people’s organisation, had been working with Pride since the early 1990s to make the march a blueprint for accessibility.

There was Blue Badge parking at the end of the march route and a shuttle bus that collected disabled marchers from there and the main stations and delivered us to the start.

There was a “safe space” at the front of the march, with manual wheelchairs and pushers for those who couldn’t walk the whole route. cont.

1. In the noughties, though, everything changed. Suddenly Pride had new organisers who didn’t want to take our calls. The access sub-committee was disbanded and some of the most critical access arrangements were cancelled, including the parking and the provision of wheelchairs.
      By 2007, when London hosted EuroPride, so few Regard members could access the event that we had to pull out altogether.In 2008 and 2009 we fought back, supported by the late great David Morris, then disability adviser to the Mayor of London.
      But despite us repeatedly contacting Pride’s funders and sponsors – the Greater London Authority, the TUC, Unison – and Westminster Council, no one seemed to take us seriously. How can people who are asexual and genderless be LGB or Trans? Unsurprisingly, the promises forced out of the Pride organisers to reinstate the access arrangements in full proved to be false. In 2010, access was still so poor that Regard had to pull out again. Instead of being at the event, I spent the

12. Pride is lost. Here it displays the corruption of minors, the glorious freaks, the shame in being gay or lesbian and the LBGT community for what it really is. I attended one Pride and since then I’ve wanted as little to do with the LGBT community as possible.

13. Janet Lameck 11 Mar 2013, 5:45pm

I’m transgender and I’m very active in our local PRIDE organization here in Windsor, Ontario. 2013 is my fifth year with them.

14. Pride is just a chance for sexual promiscuity – it does nothing to portray the inner diversity of the rainbow.

Let come together in harmony and to project not reject and to bend not spend.

15. I have not been actively interested in Pride in London since it became more about the Pink Pound and less about community. Alas this seems to be the way of most of the events over the years, increasingly dividing a community between affording and not affording rather then merely uniting, which I thought was kind of the main point.