Zimbabwean PM Morgan Tsvangirai accused of ‘hate speech’ by gay rights group

1. … another ‘freedom fighter’ who cannot see the idiotic irony of verbally abusing gay people. “Let’s band together brothers and overthrow the oppressor – then get the gays”. This man had my support in his struggle against the dictatorial Mugabee. Now, he can rot as far as I’m concerned

1. barriejohn 8 Mar 2013, 3:48pm

He should never have agreed to work with the butcher anyway. He threw away the chance of overthrowing him and lost all credibility. No wonder we never hear anything about him these days – everyone knows who pulls the strings in Zimbabwe!

1. He’s simply sold-out on all his princples for a cushy life … as indeed do so many of our own politicians.

2. GingerlyColors 8 Mar 2013, 3:52pm

Abandon all hope all ye who enter Zimbabwe.

3. casparthegood 8 Mar 2013, 6:40pm

No surprise there then

4. GulliverUK 8 Mar 2013, 7:04pm

We can only hope Mugabe dies as soon as possible, as he’s the chief persecutor. Tsvangirai wanted to put in equal protections and uphold the treaties they were signed up to, but it’s clearly very political, the country is hundreds of years behinds of the times in attitudes — having running water and electricity doesn’t make you civilised – caring about equality, welfare, healthcare, and your fellow human beings is a start. Tsvangirai is trying to do the best he can, as far as I know, but unless the government takes a lead, by implementing equality and protections, then society may not evolve on this issue. Protections allow people to be open, when gay people are seen everybody then starts to realise the lies they’ve been told – we’re a perfectly normal lot, then people start to talk and think about the issues, as we have done here in this country, over the last couple of decades.

He words just indicate that he’s not willing to risk all those other protections for equal marriage.

1. Agreed Gulliver – Mugabe is the chief persecutor. By declaring his belief that marriage “should be between a man and a woman” Tsvangirai is only making comments that have made numerous times here in the UK. They are very conservative views, but I don’t think it is hate-speech in that it doesn’t incite violence. I hope that he doesn’t wish harm or openly incite harm on LGBT Zimbabweans. Mugabe however, is extremely dangerous and his death would be good for humanity.

2. Liam the God 9 Mar 2013, 1:42pm

I remember having a similar conversation many years ago: The bloke was saying “How can a man fancy another man?”, but didn’t have an answer when I said “Why should WOMEN fancy men?”. Men look half-finished, what with that dangly bit at the bottom of the torso: RIDICULOUS!

5. Liam the God 9 Mar 2013, 1:09am

Wow! Who’d have thought the words “Zimbabwe” and “Homophobia” would go together? I worked with some Zimbabweans 10 years ago, and they really didn’t get how people “Accept” other people who fancy members of the same sex!
    Shock Quota = nil

6. I wish I could say I was surprised.

7. talk about frost and forget about Zimbabwe. if you can name one child of yours Robert and rest.