London vicar: ‘Gay marriage is a sin and people can be cured from being gay’

1. How long before Hanna is outed?

2. “There is a difference between having gay thoughts and performing gay practice. I can have adulterous thoughts and yet not commit adultery.”

Not according to Matthew 5:28 (But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.)

1. They really like to pick and choose passages from the bible don’t they?

2. What has become apparent is the intellectual bar is not very high to be one of these Ministers.

Most of them are shockingly ignorant (and perhaps lazy) on a whole range of topics that purport to be the experts on. t.

3. Another bigot in the guise of Christianity – GRRRRRR

4. Nice how we are referred to as “the gays”. Not exactly very welcoming describing us as a completely different set of people from the rest of the world

5. Garry Cassell 8 Mar 2013, 12:56pm

Funny gays can be cured but these arsewipes can’t be cured by their fairygod of their biggotry and hatred and their greedy desire to sound relevant to the world.

6. My eyes glazed over when I got to Barking.

1. It’s Dagenham actually and some of us live here so try picking your words a bit more carefully in future.

1. Seriously you are right BrOOzr there is so much regionalismphobia on these comment boxes that it disgusts me. We need to have legislation and lobby groups to stop regionalismphobia so people can live in peace and all hold hands and be at one.

Screw the haters

7. Meanwhile Justin Welby is looking at shrinking congregration sizes and how churches may simply be just too big. They can complain yet society will move on…

8. Jen Marcus 8 Mar 2013, 1:05pm

What is really a sin is the irrational ,bigoted,vitriolic, hate statements and teachings emanating from sanctimonious clerics like Hanna,

9. Sister Mary Clarence 8 Mar 2013, 1:07pm

Could the good vicar give us his views on the clergy sticking their c0cks up children? That I believe is also a sin, but doesn’t seem to be getting much coverage from the clergy themselves.

And personally of the two, my guess is that if God did exist he would have a far dimmer view of that type of behaviour.

10. Kev Quatermass 8 Mar 2013, 1:07pm

Homophobia thinly disguised as ‘religion’. When are we going to start prosecuting such obvious bigotism? When? Just change the word ‘gay’ to ‘Black’ and you’ll see what I mean.

1. Not as long as religions are excessively and unfairly protected and given special status in society. Claiming belonging to ANY religious organisation is granting you almost total automatic immunity from decency and fairness. You can say what you want, when you want, to whomever you want – publicly or privately – knowing there will be scores of officials ready to defend you under the disgusting “freedom of religion”. Time to rid society of all those jurassic beliefs and superstitions.

11. Keep preaching preacher man.

These bigots are showing how much overdue the separation of church and state is, in this country.

12. That There Other David 8 Mar 2013, 1:38pm

“We believe…” he starts. At that point everything that follows is subjective and can be discarded as being irrelevant to everyone who doesn’t believe the same.

Next!!

13. I say to him: prove it

14. Let me tell you Hanna love, I don’t want to be cured and am perfectly happy, more so it seems than you are, as I am.

15. Against God’s word? Which word would that be, I wonder?

Sometimes I really resent my church education, but sometimes it throws up just the right memory: 1 Corinthians 13.

As far as I recall, and it’s been a while, God’s word is pretty much: LOVE.

16. Tom Cotner 8 Mar 2013, 2:32pm

I wonder how long it will take this yo-yo to find a cure for his own stupidity!

17. Oh dear god, and Jesus wept!

It seems that ignorance can’t be cured.

What gets to me the most is the insistence on ‘owning’ marriage. I have news for this chap: you can keep holy matrimony and do whatever you like, but you and your kind do not own marriage. Civil marriage is for everyone. Stop trying to dictate how the rest of us should live and think and feel. It is outrageously arrogant of the church to attempt to dictate how civil society is supposed to think and act. Enough!
    The church is no longer a power broker, thank god. I sincerely hope they never will be again.
    These kind of statements constitute bullying of those young people with the misfortune of having to hear them. Shame on all anti-gay church people, shame.

Cure yourself, Reverend, but leave everyone else to form their own judgements of what is right and proper.

18. Jock S. Trap 8 Mar 2013, 2:38pm

Pure discriminating ignorance and shameful to boot. He is another who clearly supports those that feel forced to have such damaging therapies regardless of the fact too many kill themselves.

Shame they can’t spend so much time instead of ‘cured’ something that isn’t and illness, that is just as natural as any human being, teaching others HOW such discrimination effects others and the consequences, directly because of sad bigots!

What do they think they can cure anyway? Being Gay is not an illness. However such nasty bigotry surely is a crime against humanity.

19. As an atheist I tend to just think “Meh” and shrug my shoulders at such stupid opinion.

It amazes me though that these bigoted and vocal Christians (I don’t for one moment attribute this attitude to all) think that if there were a God, he would be approving of their bigoted hatred towards fellow human beings who just want to get on with their lives.

Love the sinner not the sin. Well stop behaving like arseholes then and realize the damaging effect these outdated views from the dark ages can have on the vulnerable and indoctrinated young who members of your faith who happen to be gay.

20. Another church man obsessed with ‘the gays’ – but then he seems to have got himself stuck for some time in a rather dreary parish – the 60-80 people who attend his Sunday church must be giving about £1000 each a year to pay for him and his rants.
    Money well spent – me thinks not.
    How and why does the church pay for these people.
    Or maybe, once again, another seeking a bit of media attention to break the sheer monotony of their existence.
    You just hate gays mate simple – your reasons are your own.
    Africa here we come.

21. Oh shut up. Being gay is fine.

22. jesus never said anything about homosexuality

1. There’s no evidence WHATSOVER that Jesus even existed – let alone said anything. We really should be moving away from giving so much credence and deference to religion, don’t you think? There is NO WAY church and state should be so intertwined that unelected bishops sit in the house of lords. This is all just so much a case of being ‘stuck’ in history. Someone needs to take a LARGE shovel and dig us out of this ‘establishment’ mire and set us up as a modern, forward-looking, forward-thinking democracy instead of the way we are now ….childishly clinging to the past.

23. It just begs for a Limerick: “There was an old vicar from Dagenham …. ”
    I wonder how he KNOWS – with such confidence – that being gay can be cured? He can only possibly speak with such conviction if he’s been ‘cured’ himself. Or maybe he’s still ‘fighting’ it? “Show me a homophobe; I’ll show you a clost case” as Cardinal O’Brien can now attest …..

1. There was an old vicar from Dagenham
      Who ranted he wouldn’t be havin’ ‘em
      Funny thing dear as within the year
      He was caught lying and cheating and shaggin’ em

2. There was an old vicar from Dagenham
      Who ranted he wouldn’t be havin’ ‘em
      Funny thing dear cos within the year
      He was caught lying and cheating and shaggin’ ‘em

1. Top marks! Dare I suggest a slight change:
        “He was caught lyin’ n cheatin’ n shaggin’ ‘m.

24. It really is about time we stopped giving these religions tax breaks. They have charity status therefore should be non political, which means they should have that right taken away from them.

25. So does God condone Baby murder, child murder and rape: Isaiah 13: 15-18, Hosea 13:16

26. Janet Lameck 8 Mar 2013, 5:00pm

Then CURE all your priests, vicars, lay people etc from being pedophiles!

27. Rev. Jim Brooking 8 Mar 2013, 5:04pm

I would suggest to Rev. Hanna that, according to Jesus (Matthew 5:27-28), if he looks on a woman with lust that he HAS committed adultery with her in his heart!

28. Maybe the reverend Steven Hanna should read his gospel’s, Jesus did say adulterous thoughts were the same as commiting adultery. I suggest he engages a brain cell before he opens his mouth; also if homosexuality can be ‘cured’ so can heterosexuality.

1. Yes, that’s what they are afraid of. The same freaks who claim homosexuality can be cured are terrified that gay people are going to ‘convert’ their children!

29. It’s feeding a troll, an irrelevant follower of superstition from London’s ugliest suburb. Hr’s got his publicity that is all this is about.

Look at the house prices Dagenham needs gays to drag it upmarket, a horrid place for a horrid person.

30. I’ve tried therapy to cure gayness, it does not work. However there is a cure for religion it is called “common sense and scientific understanding”
    When will the religious idiots stop discussing theological irrelevancies and try to understand reality?

31. i think the most shocking thing is that he has compared being gay to being a murderer!

1. Yes, this is what shocks me the most too. I think they get it from Romans 1 where it lists homosexuality along with a host of vile things including murder.

1. yet one is mentioned in the 10 commandments and the other not … hmmm

32. I wonder when this guy chose to be straight? Or maybe he just chose to repress a vital part of himself so he could further his desire to corrupt people’s minds?

33. johnny33308 8 Mar 2013, 11:53pm

When he has been cured of his heterosexuality, then perhaps we might listen to him! Until then, he’s just another ordinary run-of-the-mill bigot, like all of the rest of them.

34. johnny33308 8 Mar 2013, 11:56pm

Thankfully, we do not live in a theocracy….we instead live in a Secular, Civil society….these bigots need their own evil country to live in….oh, wait, they already have one, Iran!

35. He needs to resign quickly… we cannot have anti-Christs in the Church of England.

1. I don’t care what they have in the Church of England. I want it disestablished, out of the House of Lords, and I want our sovereigns simply acclaimed by Parliament and the Privy Council and not validated by Anglican hocus-pocus in a ‘coronation’.

36. ...Paddyswurds 9 Mar 2013, 3:16pm

When I see comments like that coming from this idiot nowadays I just know he is just looking ffor attention and is trying to shore up a failing career. It is best to totally ignore dinosaurs like this and await the inevitable fall from grace when they are caught phucking a rent boy or going on holiday with one…..

37. I have nothing against shamans and witch-doctors but I don’t think they should practice it. And I think they can be easily cured.

38. *reads the bible 1200 time*
    Nope, not a single bloody line that says being gay, having gay sex, or getting gay married is wrong or a sin. So please tell me where it says this? Or are you people just being illusional…

39. This vicar should seek cure for stupidity although I think his case is impossible to solve.

40. I totally agree with this Vicar.