Catholic priest calls for next pope to be openly gay to avoid links to pedophilia

1. PantoHorse 6 Mar 2013, 7:45pm

This, surely, is enough to make Widdlecome wet herself?

1. Liam the God 6 Mar 2013, 7:47pm

It’d REALLY piss off all those bigoted Anglicans that ran to the RCC due to the Ordination of Women, and that can only be really funny to watch :D
      “Sod this, I’m becoming a Wahhabi Muslim like in Saudi Arabia! Into that Niqab, bitch!”.

1. Actually, probably not. Gay priests are very common in the Anglo-Catholic community (probably more so than straight ones). Most of the priests that left the Church of England over the ordination of women were from the Anglo-Catholic wing of the church, and so a high proportion of the priests that went over to Rome in protest of the ordination of women are actually semi-openly gay. I expect the same is true of ordinary members of the congregation as well as of priests.

1. True, R! Years ago I was invited to St. Stephen’s House in Oxford, the Anglican seminary. I recognised several of the priests there from gay haunts in and around Oxford, and in the seminarians’ bedrooms upstairs I was welcomed by a bunch of about 15 to 20 gay seminarians. I really couldn’t believe it! They were all very well-educated, very effete, very “darling!”.

This whole O’Brien exposure is causing many people to lose sight of the fact that all churches are refuges for those males (and females) who do not wish to be open about their homosexuality.

2. She’s hopefully already incontinent after the O’Brien scandal. Time she was wheeled into a nursing home, one that’s named ‘Highway To Hell’. No scrap that idea. If I’m going to hell, she’d better be going to heaven.

1. O’Brien and Wideecombe should be condemned to live with each other for life.

1. Hee, hee. Now THAT would be HELL for both of them, indeed! But neither would be able to say so publicly.

2. Liam the God 6 Mar 2013, 7:45pm

What a shame they can’t spell “PAEDOPHILE”!
    That’s my only niggle with this item, even if I think it’s a bit patronising. It’d make St Peters Square a lot more colourful if there was a Gay pope. How about Graham Norton?

1. Liam the God 6 Mar 2013, 8:53pm

A downvote. Own up: Which of you is the closet Catholic?

2. Daniel Howard 6 Mar 2013, 11:34pm

Yeah using American spelling. People should stick to one or the other! ;)

1. . . . . and preferably English English!

3. Yes! Graham Norton for Pope!

1. What an intriguing notion! Norton or Alan Carr! Either would satisfactorily reduce the church to a trite and fickle charade!

3. A gay Pope? OMG!! Lech Walesa would get a heart attack …

1. It would literally and instantly KILL OFF thousands of the most hateful of homophobes the world over!

4. A gay pope.

We’ve just had one of those – and Ratzi was beyond vile.

I would like for the church to announce that it is dismantling in light of its centuries old tradition of abusing women, children and gay people.

1. Don Harrison 6 Mar 2013, 11:29pm

not open though

5. Well, actually it is one of the most highly insulting things to us all I can think of, wouldn’t it?? Hmmmm what would the jewish community think of a Jewish SS officer? It’s amazing how some people never think before opening their mouth.

1. There were Jewish concentration camp police- they were called Kapo and were more brutal than Germans towards other Jews. So you see a gay pope would not be that strange..

2. I think Mr. Gallo is suggesting that “a gay pope” would BE a truly gay pope, that is not a gay pope who would persecute gay people, but a gay pope who would alter the church, toss out heaps of its ridiculous doctrines, and turn it into a gay-friendly affair.

This would of course mean the eventual end of the church because the Xian church is all about saying “No!”, controlling people, and straitjacketing all pleasures, particularly sensual and sexual pleasures.

6. Were they altered or alerted?

7. Although a gay pope sounds jolly nice (and we need all the friends we can get in the catholic church), I completely disagree with him regarding the bit about repression leading to abusing children. If you were celibate, it wouldn’t make you start fancying kids would it? And even if it somehow did (!) it wouldn’t make you go ahead and rape them would it. There are plenty of other sexual outlets which don’t involve horrific acts of violence against innocent victims. I think the whole celibacy thing is stupid, but it shouldn’t be used to somehow let these people off the hook.

1. “friends in the Catholic Church” are you out of your mind?? Let’s put that into context…what would you say if aomeone in the jewish community said “we need all the friends we can in the Gestapo”. This is NOT what we need. The Catholic Church is the enemy, and I am not talking rhetorically. People within our community who advocate dialogue with the catholic church are betraying us all. Would you shake hands with a neo-nazi? No you wouldn’t ! So please stop this nonsense. Some of us will not let it happen. Politics should not be left in the hand of children who are unable to learn the lessons from history.

1. That is massively patronising and pointlessly (you might say religiously) dogmatic. There is – as we all know – a huge number of problems with Catholic-LGBT relations, like most religions. But there are plenty of queer and queer-friendly Catholics out there too. I don’t agree with them about all the God stuff, but if I had to choose between someone like that and a queer-phobic atheist I wouldn’t hesitate. There are a lot of people of all religious denominations who are doing us no harm, and in fact are prepared to stand shoulder to shoulder with us against bigotry.

Unable to learn the lessons of history? The lesson of history is divide and conquer. By refusing to view any nuance amongst religious people and seeing them as one homogenous enemy, you’ve been conquered.

And I’d shake hands with anyone prepared to sit down and have a conversation, even if they were a neo-Nazi. Just because they don’t believe in treating other people as human beings doesn’t mean I’d stoop to their level

1. Harlequin 7 Mar 2013, 1:49am

Hear hear.

2. One flaw in this though, I have never heard of a “queer-phobic atheist”. Whenever I read a homophobic rant, I always scan down for the first mention of god.

I find it difficult to conceive of someone who manages not to get brainwashed by any religion then turning out to be anti-gay.

Most gay-neutral religionists do nothing and say nothing to rock the boat. This makes them more of a danger and threat than the people who are openly rabidly anti-gay. The openly rabidly anti-gay always quote their huge number of followers. Those are the people who say nothing.

This article itself is dangerous as it equates closet gay men with paedophilia.

1. Harlequin 9 Mar 2013, 3:52am

My personal experience, perhaps because I’ve mostly mixed with atheists, is that the vast majority of anti-homosexual hatred and/or disgust I’ve encountered has been from atheists. As for silent masses, these are often claimed by extreme polemicists regardless of the alleged issues they support.

2. I don’t see how celibacy would lead to paedophilia but who knows? Sexuality is so complicated and priest’s lifestyles are so unnatural. People attracted to celibacy may be very emotionally immature, and the combination of the two may lead to paedophilia. Has this ever been properly investigated?

1. I repressed my sexuality for years and never felt attracted to children. Sexual peference is fixed as far as I know.

3. lalocura, you’re quite right, this Mr. Gallo has got it all wrong. Suppression of homosexuality does not cause “the sexual love of children”. It CAN cause the abuse of children, as an easy outlet. But, equally, the suppressed adult homosexual can seek release through clandestine sex with other adults. Many a priest is to be found in saunas and public cruising places far from his parish turf!

8. Marcwebbo3 6 Mar 2013, 8:23pm

Now that would be interesting….hope it happens

9. And it might be a good thing to point out to the good father that “repression” does not lead to paedophilia. Paedophilia leads to paedophilia. No one just suddenly starts finding little kids sexy simply because they’ve been holding in their jizz too long.

1. Let’s hope that our Italian gay cousins are getting that message across to dopey Mr. Gallo right this minute!

2. Pedophilia is more than “finding little kids sexy”, it is a sexual orientation, a sexual identity, just like some people are heterosexual others are pedophiles

10. Did I read that right? They want the next Pope to be openly gay?

Hmm, and in the past, the church was blithering on about equal marriage would lead to paedophilia etc etc etc.

Seen the light now have we?

11. Don Andrea Gallo for Pope!

1. it would be great and finally we would be there with a Cock (Gallo= Italian for cock, the animal) as pope. Wouldn’t it?

12. That There Other David 6 Mar 2013, 11:04pm

What the hell is this constant Catholic link between being gay and being a paedophile? Why does he not say the next Pope should be open about their sexuality, regardless of orientation, because repression of sexuality is the problem in itself?

I really don’t get why you’re all cheering the guy on for this interview. He’s pretty much parroting what the Church has always said, but with a new spin. How many of you would start raping children if you went without sex? Anyone? No? Then why agree with his comments?

1. Thanks for saying that. I too was surprised by the positive messages about this.

13. Don Harrison 6 Mar 2013, 11:26pm

Will that be when Hell freezes over?

14. Christopher in Canada 7 Mar 2013, 12:08am

What about the celibacy thing???

I once dated a gay priest who claimed that he could see me provided our relationship did NOT supersede the one he already had with his god.

I wanted to be his god, and in person was much more of a lover than his god was in fantasy.

I left him.

15. Just to warn you. The Next pope is the False Prophet of Revelation.

Cardinal Tarcisio Evasio Bertone

The Anagram of “Tarcisio” spells” Iscariot” (Judas Iscariot)

Re arrange the letters of his remaining title.

Cardinal Pietro Evasio Bertone.

“AN ISCARIOT REPROBATE, ONE DEVIL”

1. yes, because the Book of Revelations was written with modern English anagrams in mind?

2. Don’t think so somehow, Frank, baby..
      He has no English.

Keith
      SALFORD

16. I think, just ever so gently, that this is advance notice of what is to come about B. xvi.

Keith.
    SALFORD

17. Now don’t sit on the fence, tell us what you really think.

Love it.

18. I agree that the church needs to modernise and step into the 21st century, but its daft old men like that who are the problem! Being gay and being a paedophile are not connected in any way shape or form and him saying that will start people thinking that there IS!

19. Errm, thanks to him for trying to be supportive but I really don’t see how sexual repression/celibacy leads to pedophilia?… being gay and being a pedophile are very different things.

1. That’s what the support looks like? We’re done for.

2. Pedophilia and heterosexuality and homosexuality are sexual orientations. There is nothing wrong about being pedophile, after all its not like you choose to be a pedophile.

I find it curious that people talk about the identity and the sexuality of homosexual priests, while pedophile priests are also born with a sexual identity and sexuality.

20. Jean-Paul 7 Mar 2013, 1:53pm

The Rainbow Sash Movement says:

“The time of hiding behind the theater of liturgy, incense, bells and music rather than the justice that should flow from that Liturgy needs to come to an end.”

‘theatre of liturgy’… well said. That is exactly what keeps the ordinary catholic spell bound.

Catholic liturgy is a complicated 3-year cycle similar to an alternate calendar and that re-enforces the dream-like state some call ‘spirituality’ or ‘mysticism’ while neglecting real social justice issues in terms of universal human rights.

21. Hypercube 7 Mar 2013, 2:18pm

Coolest priest I’ve ever heard of! If everyone in the Catholic church was like him then we’d all rub along just fine.

22. ” repression leads to pedophilia” – what rubbish.

23. “The homosexual priest must be free to express his identity and his sexuality, because repression leads to pedophilia.”

Its incredible, such ignorance comming from a gay person. Pedophilia is a sexual orientation, and reppression does not cause people to change their sexual orientation.

That is like saying that reppressing heterosexuality causes homosexuality. Its absurd.

As a pedophile person, I cannot find this abhorrent enough. Pedophilia is a sexual orientation, something people are born with.

“The homosexual priest must be free to express his identity and his sexuality”

What about the pedophile priest? What about the sexuality and the identity of the pedophile priests?

People are born pedophiles and its a sexual identity, a sexual orientation, just like homosexuality. Discrimination against people who are pedophiles is wrong, no one chooses to be a pedophile and pedophile people are as good as heterosexual or gays.

1. GingerlyColors 7 Mar 2013, 5:49pm

I understand that some people have a sexual attraction towards children but I am sure that most of them resist the temptation to do anything untowards underaged people. We do have laws that protect children including the age of consent. If a teenager is below that age then he or she cannot legally consent to sex and and any sex with such a person would be classed as rape.
      Please note that Pink News is a site for consenting adult homosexuals and Lesbians and we do not condone sexual activity with children. If you have paedophile tendencies then I suggest that you don’t break the law and remain celebrate. Even ‘looking and not touching’ can get you into trouble as children are abused in order to obtain indecent images of them. I also suggest that you seek assistance. If you end up breaking the law and get caught you will be putting yourself in great danger as society still and will continue to find paedophillia repugnant.

2. Philip Breen 24 Jul 2013, 9:11pm

But paedophiles must not act out their tendencies. Such can never be acceptable. Children have an inherent right to be protected from paedophiles who might abuse them. The difficulty is identified when gay men are considered potential paedophiles because they are gay.

24. GingerlyColors 7 Mar 2013, 5:37pm

Why don’t Don Andrea Gallo put in for the job. Any male Catholic is eligible to become Pope. Perhaps I could apply, Pope Gregory XVII sounds good! But unfortunately or should I say fortunately I am not a Catholic!
    The selection process for a new Pope has to start between the 15th and 20th of March and it will be interesting to see who gets the job. I hope that Cardinal Peter Turkson of Ghana doesn’t become Pope, unless they want to unify the Catholic Church with the Westboro Baptist lot.

25. I think it’s a simple matter…….allow the Catholic Priests, Bishops & Popes to have sexual relations like everyone else.
    It’s a natural human need to have sex during their lifetime.

To tell someone that they can’t have sex is no different than telling a kid he can’t have a cookie……sooner or later, and when no one’s looking, that kid is going to have a cookie.

Allowing them to have sexual relations will not get rid of all of the scandals associated with pedophilia within the Catholic Church (pedophiles are found throughout society and especially amongst those in positions of authority). It should help rid a very large portion of pedophila within the church walls.

Once they are allowed to have sexual relations they will learn to accept that homosexuality is a large part of their church.

26. “The priest added: “The homosexual priest must be free to express his identity and his sexuality, because repression leads to pedophilia.””

Repressed homosexuality does NOT lead to paedophilia!

27. This is fabulous and this man should be pope…but I do disagree on this statement…

Homosexuality + celibacy does not necessarily = pedophile

Just as being heterosexual doesn’t. Pedophilia is a sickness and has nothing to do with your sexuality.

28. sick sick sicccccccccccccccck catholic church why not scrap of tht pope ritual and save many from going to hell.