US: Man receives anti-gay abuse and hit in the head for walking pink coloured poodle with boyfriend

1. There is no excuse attacking people for any reason. However, I personally don’t like the idea of dying animals and I dont think it is fair for them to be dyed and used as a toy but again I emphasize that there is no reason to attack someone !!!

2. An horrific story, but I had to laugh when I saw that picture – but the dogs do look happy enough and I imagine they’re spoiled rotten by their owners – and at least it’s not a commercial hair dye they’ve been doused in. I had no idea ‘Koolaid’ had so many uses…The owners and their dog must have been terrified when they were attacked, and hopefully the perpetrator will get a hefty sentence…

1. On the other hand 6 Mar 2013, 1:32am

What is coolaid? Some sort of drink?

The actor Charles Hawtrey, from the Carry On films, used to walk a pink poodle around Blackpool. Not many people know dat.

Dyeing dogs is appalling, but attacking people is far worse.

3. “We weren’t holding hands or anything. Just walking the dog like normal.”

Of course I don’t condone violence against those people but the dog was pink, for god’s sake! Nothing normal about that.

1. Liam the God 5 Mar 2013, 10:24pm

Who cares what colour the damn dog is!
      Someone I knew used to show Poodles: STANDARD Poodles, the big buggers! If it’d been one of those the assailant would have possibly lost an arm, and it’d be embarrassing to be savaged by a Poodle with a Show-Cut, including the Pom-Pom tail!

4. “All zee dogs, zay must not be of zee pink color! All uzzer colours vill be tolerated! Zee pink color is verboten!”

So much for the influence of our rainbow flag on the mentality of red-neck bigots.

5. Unforgivable as such an assault is, I wish people wouldn’t do that to their dogs.

6. Paul Halsall 5 Mar 2013, 7:57pm

Anyone who dyes an intelligent dog like a poodle pink deserves some verbal tellling off.

No violence though.

1. GulliverUK 5 Mar 2013, 10:04pm

I won’t give you a thumbs down for that, although perhaps I should.

You are very judgmental — and it’s not very attractive !

1. If more people were verbally judgemental about doing stupid or cruel things to animals there would be less animal abuse. This wasn’t cruel but it was certainly stupid! And in cases like thes I think being judgemental is VERY attractive – well said Paul!

7. GulliverUK 5 Mar 2013, 9:48pm

The best advice I have is that which my granddad gave me.

“Someone hits you, .. you hit them back twice as hard”.

I loath physical violence but if someone was stupid enough to take me on I’d defend myself.

Perhaps the government should run free martial arts training classes for the LGBT community – after all we’ve paid a sh&t load of tax and got very little back – even pensions in Civil Partnerships aren’t equal to heterosexual couples. I’ll be honest, I’m severely f*cked off with all these incidents of violence against us — FIGHT BACK !

I’m not suggesting people take my advice, because it’s really the wrong thing to do, I know that, but it’s also correct as well in some circumstances. We know there are bad people out there, who you can’t verbally reason with, and in some circumstances a smack in the gob is all they understand. Sad but true.

8. Yes it was wrong to hit the man because he coloured his dog but I’m not seeing that this was an anti-gay assault. Just by reading the article it looks like this was about the dog being coloured.

Am I missing something? What evidence is there that this was an anti-gay attack and not an animal rights activist acting inappropriately towards a man who happened to be gay?

9. i’m not a big fan of city dwellers owing pets and dying them pink is ridiculous even if it is koolaid. obviously the violence is way worse and intolerable.

1. Liam the God 6 Mar 2013, 12:00am

I’m more against the IRREVERSIBLE procedures people in the USA do to their pets, like De-Clawing a cat! THAT is wrong on any number of levels above and beyond dying a dog with something that will wash out and is non-toxic!
      I have 8 cats, all have claws, and I have no wallpaper. I also find small furry dead things, or more often HALF a small furry dead thing, in my living room. When you have a pet they can become your life.
      Sorry, went off on a bit of a ramble there. The point stands: There are worse things people do to their pets that dye them with a soft drink!
      End of rambling old fart bit.

10. Robert White 5 Mar 2013, 11:03pm

PETA did it. (peta kills animals dot com). ?

Or it could have been anybody who loves dogs. Why blame the boyfriend bit, it was the least objectionable part of the story compared to the animal abuse.

/snark. 8-)

11. Is dying the hair of dogs cruel? If the hair-dye product is safe and the dogs do not suffer pain during the process of dying their hair, then I doubt it can be described as cruel.

The article states that the gay couple were subject to homophobic verbal abuse whilst being physically attacked. In the UK that would be a hate crime.

That is what we should be appalled about, not the colour of the dog’s hair!

If anyone has proof that dying the hair of dogs is harmful and cruel, then the owners deserve harsh criticism, but as nobody has provided any proof our condemnation should be solely directed towards the homophobic attacker.

1. No it’s not cruel, it’s stupid! It is treating them like toys and it encourages other people to treat them as such – and that does lead to cruelty!

1. PantoHorse 6 Mar 2013, 10:37am

Spot on Glen. My parents rescued a cat once from some students who insisted on spiking his fur up with hair gel. He’d then spend ages licking himself clean only for them to do it again. Dog-dying and cat fur-spiking are equally stupid: while one is certainly very harmful to the animal and the other is not, they are both in the same band of thoughtless, idiotic behaviour that can lead to much more serious cruelty.

2. It really depends on your point of view about dog hair-dye or dog clothes, I suppose. Some might think it’s irresponsible, some might think it’s eccentric and others might think it is a way of showing their love to their pet. As an animal lover who has rescued animals I personally think there are far more serious issues concerning animal cruelty and slaughter that need attention.

In respect of this article, the issue that should be gaining our attention is the fact that the couple were victims of a vicious hate crime.