Malawian asylum seeker who claimed of being at risk of homophobic persecution deported from UK

1. “We have changed our guidance to ensure that we do not remove individuals who have demonstrated a proven risk of persecution on grounds of sexual orientation.

“Our position remains clear – when someone needs our protection, they will be given it.”

And yet they deported Peter George Liwewe. That makes the whole statement an outright lie. They will protect someone if they *think* that person needs protection. Apparently, there are still people within the government who think that fear of homophobic persecution does not need protection.

2. Had Pink News told him and his lawyer/supporters about the court change? The breakthrough in democracy, kept under a meida silence for 14 years, that means all legal decisions are open endedly faultable on their reasoning + are no longer final? AS described here – censoredscottishreferendum.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/court-change.html NB it applies to Malawi too.

3. I wish that those who deport such people after disbelieving their defence could be held personally and collectively responsible for the fate of the deportee when they get back home. Ie. if the deportee is killed or otherwise victimised for their sexual orientation when they get home, UK officials, including Government ministers, should be prosecuted here as though they personally had killed or victimised them. That might sharpen their minds a bit…

1. Spanner1960 5 Mar 2013, 11:38pm

Why? Don’t make your problem my problem.
      Charity begins at home, we have enough of our own problems without having to support every waif and stray that claims possible persecution.

4. postopgirl 5 Mar 2013, 7:01pm

Given that the nice coalition (sarcastic comment!), that the government are believed to want entrants wanting to settle here in UK to be filmed having gay kisses etc, to prove they are gay, I wonder how many straight women would allow themselves to be kissed by numerous men, just prove they are straight, the mind boggles, this coalition homophobic despite it’s claims to be otherwise

5. Is Australian Greens Senator Sarah Hanson Young going to apologise to the Australian people for her “the only good refugee is a dead one” remarks? If not she should resign!

1. Spanner1960 5 Mar 2013, 11:39pm

Sounds like they have the right idea.

1. You really are a lowlife scum bag.

6. Peter Nkosi 6 Mar 2013, 6:30am

I am posting this from Malawi. What a wonderful thing Google Alerts is. I have some comments on this article.

1. Much is being made of a murder case in Malawi, and how Liwewe will be arrested because he is the son of a suspect. That may be the way that you conduct enquiries in the UK, but is not how they are done here. It is absurd for him to claim that the authorities here “are looking to punish him for the actions of his father”, that “he has no chance of surviving … ” and that he “will be arrested … in relation to this matter”. However, it is only natural that the police will want to interview him, since he may have information to help them solve the case.

Humphrey Mvula is not in jail because of the alleged murder. Linking Bakili Muluzi to it is news to me. I have never heard of Gangiyga.

(Cont?)

7. 2. I am curious if Scott Roberts, the author of this article, was in touch with the Malawi High Commission in London for their comments on his story. We have decent phones and internet connections here, so I expect that Roberts by now will have been in touch with Liwewe and will be able to tell us if the latter has been arrested, persecuted, or otherwise harassed upon his return home. I expect also that Roberts will have been be in touch with two prominent human rights NGOs here, CHRR and CEDEP, who are guaranteed to cause an international stink if Liwewe’s rights are abused.

3. I do not see the point of mentioning the alleged sexual assault by a UKBA official at Heathrow in 2004. Is sex with the UKBA an entry requirement to the UK? It sounds to me that Liwewe will be safer here back in Malawi.

4. I expect that Malawi will be trashed because of the law on homosexuality which the British left for us upon independence. It is pointless making a case in this thread that things are n

1. Sister Mary Clarence 25 Mar 2013, 4:48am

” I expect that Malawi will be trashed because of the law on homosexuality which the British left for us upon independence.”

Peter, forgive me, but did the British enshrine something in your statute books that prevented you from changing laws introduced probably 50 to 100 years ago? We decriminalised homosexuality here in the 60s. It seems your governments over the last 50 years have not seen fit to do the same.

The word here is ‘responsibility’, its yours, and you haven’t shown any.

I do accept that much of the homophobia in African is a throw back to European missionaries who came to Africa to spread bigotry and intolerance, but they are long gone, and so is colonial rule, so there has been amble opportunity for your country and the rest of Africa to restore their heritage of tolerance and understanding towards gay people.

You mention you have decent phones and internet connections there. Perhaps when you get decent education things will move forward a bit further.

1. Sister Mary Clarence 25 Mar 2013, 1:34pm

oops – ‘ample’ even

8. 4. … are not as bad as the trashers want you to believe. However, if anyone wants to talk about whipping, which the British seemed to have enjoyed, they should be aware that Malawians wrote Section 19.4 into their Constitution:

“No person shall be subject to corporal punishment … ”

Now, have a read at what the US State Department has to sayin their most recent country report about LGBTs in UK (2011):
    ” … incidents of homophobic violence were reported. … During the year the Metropolitan Police reported 122 incidents of homophobic crime in greater London by July … In May the Scottish Prosecution Service reported that … 448 charges had been made in which homophobia was an “aggravation.” In 14 cases gender identity was an “aggravation.” However, NGOs representing lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons claimed the real rate of homophobic violence was much higher, since many victims did not report homophobic attacks to police.”

1. gayMalawi 7 Mar 2013, 2:23pm

Peter why do you always following stories of gay/lesbian from Malawi and try to sound as if gay Malawians are not persecuted or or attacked by homophobes, Who pays you to say that gay Malawians are safe.Stop the rubbish you spin on gay issues in Malawi don’t put a curtain on it.

2. Peter Nkosi 7 Mar 2013, 5:10pm

gayMalawi,

Right away, let me state that I would like those laws abolished which criminalise homosexual acts between consenting adults. I have posted that many times in forums. I have never ranted against homosexuals, although I have been critical of some of their publicity material, such as in B2G.

What I try to do on these foreign websites is counterbalance the propaganda which they publish to show Malawi in a less negative light. That is why I quoted from the US report on homophobia in the UK.

Clearly, you have a different point of view from me. May I suggest that you put forward evidence on this thread to show that homosexuals are persecuted and attacked in Malawi? Bear in mind that there is evidence that they suffer also in First World countries too, so your evidence should show that they suffer more in Malawi.

Nyasa Times published this story today. Comments there say that Liwewe is hyper-exaggerating about the persecution of homosexuals in Malawi. Also that he is not LGBT.