Brighton: Vodka Revolution bar accused of refusing entry to man with Student Pride sticker

1. Playing devils advocate here (for which I am bound to be thumbed down for), but perhaps the bouncer just doesn’t like stickers, of any description?

From the report, the doorman never made any other comment to Mr O’Leary so not 100% sure it would be homophobic?

1. Hope you guessed my name. 5 Mar 2013, 4:59pm

Dumb McCabe seriously dumb. As PR spin goes that was pathetic.

2. de Villiers 5 Mar 2013, 5:00pm

I’m not so sure – the bouncer may not have liked stickers (although one could ask why not?) but it is unlikely that he would have refused a person admission to the bar on the basis that they were wearing one.

If he refused because the sticker referred to Pride then that must be wrong.

3. come on, calling the pride sticker disgusting is enough to assume that he was being homophobic but also careful enough not to do it in a way that would incriminate him

4. In that case, why did he refer to the sticker as ‘disgusting’. A sticker is just a piece of paper, nothing ‘offensive’ in that. So, it had to be what was written on the guys sticker which caused this moron to be ‘offended’. I’d bounce the bouncer down the road apace.

5. I used to work at Revolution Brighton for 18 months (April 2011 – September 2012) and I worked alongside at least five members of staff who were LGBT. They were highly popular members of the team and got on equally as well with the door staff.

I have served and encountered plenty of LGBT people in Revs who have never had any such troubles in the bar and enjoyed a pain-free night out there. To tar Brighton Revolution, the rest of the staff, and the company as a whole, with the same brush as this doorman is completely unfair.

And for the record, not all bouncers are dickheads. They’re doing a fucking difficult job, and the ones I worked alongside at Revs were (mostly) all very fair, mild-mannered people.

2. Brett Gibson 5 Mar 2013, 5:06pm

I’m gonna let you all in on a little known secret. ALL BOUNCERS ARE DICKHEADS. It’s part of their job description. Raul effing Moat was a bouncer. This is clearly just another highly uneducated ape (don’t even think you need GCSEs to be a bouncer) who feels the need to hate on people he knows nothing about. His parents probably called gay people faggots when they came on TV and that’s the only view of gay people he’s ever known.

Oh how I pity the unenlightened ones.

1. Jim The Doorman 5 Mar 2013, 5:10pm

I’m a bouncer and work many of the gay and gay friendly venues. I feel that this particular bouncer (whoever he or she is) should be brought to task about the incident.
      Not all of us are mindless thugs, although I appreciate that there may be some out there still working the doors. Don’t tar everyone with the same brush, it makes you just as bad as the bouncer in this incident.

1. GulliverUK 5 Mar 2013, 9:58pm

I was just going to say that some of the bouncers at gay bars are absolutely fantastic, but it’s far to say that some of those in other places are not.

If I was looking for a bouncer I’d take one which had experience of working at a gay bar over someone who hadn’t, regardless of whether the bar was straight or gay.

2. I agree with you, for a community fighting against stereotyping it is wrong to accuse all bouncers of being bullies. I understand that these kind stories provoke anger in people but we must harness that in the right channels. You cannot spread peace and understanding with hate and closed minded views.

Thank you my love for doing your job so well we need more people like you to set the standard.

2. GingerlyColors 5 Mar 2013, 5:23pm

Bouncers have had quite a reputation in the past but a lot of effort has been made to clean up the doorman industry. Having said that there will always be bad ones who slip through the net.

3. I am also a doorman, I am Gay, I’m nowhere near a closet. I work in a very large ‘so called straight’ [no such thing these days] club just over the road from the venue being discussed. We have a large Gay and Lesbian cliental in our club because they feel safe with us.

Vodka Revs [the venue in the article] has one VERY ‘out’ DJ and the regular doorstaff and barstaff are very Metrosexual; they work with us on another project.

The head doorman is an excellent fellow and he will fully investigate this and remove this ‘nasty piece of work’ from his team, I know that is how he works.

1. Brett, I am also an Ambulance Operations Officer, my previous role was as a Senior Charge Nurse in Orthopaedics; I am triple qualified (3 nursing qualifications) and so your ‘little secret’ is obviously a figment of your imagination.

Many doormen or ‘bouncers’ have full-time jobs already or are studying at one of our two universities; some are Solicitors, Travel Agents, Student Paramedics etc.

1. And what qualifications or training are needed to become a bouncer.

1. The training to be a Licenced Door Supervisor [bouncer] is strictly set by the Government; it is over a 3 -4 day full-time study/teaching period which is delivered by trained and assessed trainers working on behalf of the Security Industry Authority (A Government department) also known as The SIA. Qualification is by means of practical and theory (multiple choice) examination papers and also by answering scenario questions posed on DVD. The successful qualification is a City & Guilds certificate. Licences are only awarded after the very high registration fee is paid and a CRB check has been made.

2. Well considering the number of power crazed, violent knobheads still working as bouncers then this training is clearly inadequate.

3-4 days training sounds very, very little

4. jizz face 5 Mar 2013, 6:44pm

yes they are Brett!! it’s a generalisation, but so true!!! I have been beaten up and bounced off walls by many a bouncer in the past, for hardly anything. And now, alot of them are Eastern European & non-English, with not so tolerant attitudes towards homosexulaity!!!

1. GulliverUK 5 Mar 2013, 10:01pm

Then do us all a favor and make a complaint / press charges — I certainly would.

2. Jim The Doorman 5 Mar 2013, 11:44pm

Really? As mentioned before if you tar everyone with the same brush, you’re no better than the “bouncer” in this article.
        Also feel that your comment is slightly racist against Eastern Europeans, a few of which happen to be good, well mannered, well educated colleagues of mine. Professional all the way.
        Just because our job is in the very public eye does not give you the right to basically “slag us off” as a whole. I imagine that you may well have had a run in or two with security due to your own actions, rather than those of the security “picking on you”.
        If this is your attitude towards door staff who are only there to protect you against the people who are out to cause trouble then the chip is well and truly on your shoulder.
        As GulliverUK said below, make a complaint. If a venue requires bouncers, it will also require CCTV. Unless your “hardly anything” attitude make you think that you did something wrong.

1. friday jones 6 Mar 2013, 10:16pm

Eastern Europeans are another race now? I think you meant “ethnocentric” rather than “racist,” give that poor tired old drum a little rest now and again.

3. GingerlyColors 5 Mar 2013, 5:20pm

I guess that the Vodka Revolution Bar will be going to the wall soon. Sounds like a Russian theme pub with homophobia thrown in for good measure.

1. Not all Revolution Bars are like that at all, they are popular with young people and have a vibrant atmosphere and have never had a problem – I have however and other students have had problems at the marketed as gay friendly Reflex 80s bar. The gayest non-gay bar you could find!

4. There are not ‘some’ mindless thugs working as bouncers.

There are MANY mindless thugs working as bouncers.

Do they get any training at all I wonder.

The bouncer does NOT work for the bar – he works for a security company.

1. That’s not always true, they can be in-house security staff, but they still all have to go through the SIA training and become licensed. If a business operates with unlicensed staff they can be closed down.

I’ve been involved in security for many years in both static corporate environments and festivals.

Having said that, there are plenty of security companies out there who fake the testing, provide the answers, and sign paperwork on behalf of their staff. This was a problem since the SIA was formed and it continues to be a problem. Almost none of the standards the SIA were supposed to enforce are being enforced now. It basically became nothing more than an industry specific tax.

I once worked for a security company owned by an ex-con! And he got a license to RUN THE BUSINESS! Needless to say, they’re not operating now, because several of their staff were caught robbing a client!

5. jizz face 5 Mar 2013, 6:35pm

probably foreign!

1. Jim The Doorman 6 Mar 2013, 12:02am

This is the second such comment from you about “foreigners”. Homophobia is a crime as you may well know, but the website you’ve just posted this to has a record of your email address. Racism, as you probably don’t know, is ALSO a crime. Please stop.

6. I am surprised the gay press is even publishing this. This story sounds like such a load of reactionary nonsense to me. It makes gay people (and I am one) sound so over sensitive to anything that we will cry homophobia at the first sign. It does not do our cause any favours and indeed is pathetic when people around the world are suffering REAL persecution because of sexuality. I myself had a fracture under my eye and blood pouring down my face after being beaten up by a group of homophobic thugs!! Lets just rethink this…if it’s true..all that happened was that he was asked to remove a sticker! He wasn’t called a fag, he wasn’t told he couldn’t come in. There is virtually no foundation for is being assumed this was homophobic. He says he wasn’t drunk also..I find that highly unlikely. Further more…if he was so “crushed” why did he still go in! Get over it is what I would say! :: rolls eyes ::

1. If it were a black person being refused entry over a racial issue would you be saying the same thing then?

Why should you or I be victimized by anyone just because they’re a bigot? It doesn’t matter how small an issue you think it is. Lots of little issues soon become big issues if they are not dealt with.

2. Why would you allow people the confidence to act in a way and not respond. Normalising small homophobic behaviour is a serious road block in the strive for equality. Usually I wouldn’t have made an issue of something so small. But it isn’t the first occasion people from my uni have encountered at this particular bar. Its a is becoming ridiculous. So that’s why they have published it. Also bring refused entry per sexuality is illegal

7. Can we have updates on incidents like this please? I get so fed up with seeing something end with “they have said they will be looking into it” and then it seems everyone is happy with that and nothing is ever actually resolved!

If I were a journalist I would then be calling every single week asking for an update, a statement, a report on the action they have actually taken or what they found to be the case.

I think 99% of the time this arrives on a persons desk at one of these companies, they say they’ll be looking into it, and then it’s shredded, nothing is done.

How do we ever expect anything to change unless we actually HOUND them and FORCE THEM to make a proper statement and give a half-decent response?

Another homophobe at another venue who will be forgotten about, until he beats someone up the next time – rinse and repeat.

8. I see how the title states he was refused entry and then reading further on it reveals he was not refused at all, and that all this fuss is over him being asked to take off a sticker. It’s articles like this that make me feel embarrassed for the gay community

9. I have made a complaint the chair of Brighton & Hove Licencing commitee and it is now being invetigated

1. Vodka revolutions have gotten back to me and have taken up their own investigation also.

10. Perhaps this story is true but perhaps there are some other reasons for this to happen? I am going out almost every night and have never had any problems, neither have my friends…

11. LGBT CUSTOMER 8 Mar 2013, 2:55pm

i will not go again to Vodka Revolution bar after that

12. I have emailed the head office with this:

Hello,
    It came to my attention that recently there was a incident involving one of your bouncers and a young gentleman that offended your employee by wearing a student pride badge. One can only deduce that this was a mindless act of homophobia which I’m appalled to hear. Partucarliy in a city that’s so forward thinking. This is a fail on the company’s part for not educating staff members to treat every customer with respect and dignity. I am interested to learn what actions you have in place to correct this situation as I am sure you will agree it is currently having a negative impact on business. I would be pleased to hear back from you to restore my faith in equality and fairness. I would like to think when I am on a night out that myself or any other people that belong to the lgbt community would feel welcome in such establishments
    Yours sincerely Kelly

13. Hello,
    Yours sincerely Miss Kelly Harris.

14. I sent an email to head office regarding this story.

I have to say I was very impressed that within hours of sending it I had head office phone me. They took the time to explain everything to me and I was more than satisfied with the information I recieved. It was obvious the matter was taken seriously and everything was dealt with appropriately.

Hats off to you! I was very pleased to learn that this company take issues like this seriously and I believe whole heatedly that they do believe every customer is valued and accepted.

This story proves that those that choose to use homophobic slurs are now becoming the minority and it will not be tolerated any longer. A change is coming and its a wonderful thing to witness.