UK: Gay rights campaigners call on Cardinal Keith O’Brien to apologise for homophobic bigotry

1. Robert in S. Kensington 4 Mar 2013, 1:23pm

I don’t know why Peter Tatchell doesn’t out those other senior hierarchy and those MPs who voted no to equal marriage on February 5th, assuming he has proof. If five priests had the courage to expose O’Brien, I see no reason not to expose all the others. In this case, it’s more than warranted.

1. Cardinal Fang 4 Mar 2013, 2:10pm

Why not simply ask each if them in the UK with an open letter to each Bidhop and Archbishop in the Catholic Church that has made homophobic comments?

1. Robert in S. Kensington 4 Mar 2013, 2:55pm

I don’t think there would be one response admitting to it. If anything, they’d deny it, just as O’Brien did when it was first exposed. The roman church is very adept at covering up scandal. Outing them would be far more effective and could give other victims of their sexual misconduct confidence to come forward.

2. Liam the God 4 Mar 2013, 1:48pm

I don’t want Cardinal Kate to apologise: I want to see him in a Bondage Harness at the Gay Pride Parade, right at the front, with a big sign around his neck saying “Closet, Hypocrite, twat!”. :)

1. He might enjoy the harness, bet it’s not his first!!!

2. That would be so perfect.

3. Ugh! That image put me right off my lunch.

*pushes plate of pasta to one side*

1. Liam the God 4 Mar 2013, 2:39pm

Sorry, Sasha. I thought most people had finished their lunch.

4. casparthegood 4 Mar 2013, 2:51pm

Fled the country? Please tell me he’s gone on a ‘cruise’ Then I WILL open the good whisky :-)

1. Cardinal Fang 4 Mar 2013, 3:00pm

Probably joined Pope Bette and Gorgeous George at Castle Gandalf.

3. Jock S. Trap 4 Mar 2013, 2:07pm

They reckon he’s fled the country. What a coward.

He should apologise. Not only for the things he has done and said but for the attitude he created for the younger more vulnerable to see.

He is a vile disgusting person, whose cruel ways have had consequences. It just shows up religion for the ever bigoted hypocrites they truly are.

1. steve hopker 4 Mar 2013, 2:38pm

I’m more with Tatchell in saying he is (probably) tormented, but I’m afraid he has used his public position to undermine gay sexuality and dare I say made some people’s own struggles worse. Church leaders should be aware of their pastoral duties.
      O’Brien seems to have misused the freedom of speech his high office gave him with hypocritcal attacks on people who have much less voice than him. Hence the importance of Stonewall, Tatchell and gay media such as this.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 4 Mar 2013, 3:01pm

To say nothing of the torment he has caused victims of bullying, homophobia and discrimination which are far more serious. His vile comments regarding equal marriage have set off a firestorm of bigotry and opposition and some of the most heinous rhetoric. Has anyone noticed the deafening silence of the catholic hierarchy north and south of the border? Archbishops Tartgalia and Nichols’ lips are sealed evidently. They’re all running for cover in case they’re next. Let’s hope we see more of the bigots exposed.

4. I’d be happy for him just to confess to abject hypocricy. Digusting, self-loathing specimen. Hate yourself if you must but don’t projecty that onto gay people who have been brave enough to accept who they really are.

5. ColinJones 4 Mar 2013, 2:45pm

Fat chance of him apologising, on the BBC’s news coverage I just hear nothing but sympathy for the old git!

1. Ahh but the BBC is vying with “The Tablet” to be the papal news organ of choice. They seem to spend entire news bulletins kissing the papal ring

1. I’m sure there are plenty of people who would like to kiss “Bennt the Dip’s” ring….provided he washes it first!

6. John-Paul 4 Mar 2013, 2:50pm

Homophobia is seeming more and more like a “civil war”

How many times have we discovered the most foul and despicable opposers of gay people to be gay themselves.

we are fighting with ourselves!!!!

surely we could use this info in some way?

1. I feel a huge anger against these old weak self loathing queens. They have lies to themselves all their lives so that have absolutely no understanding of the value of Truth anymore. They so clearly symbolize what the Catholic Church now is, a massive destructive system built on lies and deceit.

However, men like O’Brien are also an example of just how destructive a Catholic education system is to a person development. Children should not be exposed to catholic teaching as it is bad for them and O’Brien is an example of that.

7. Be careful what you wish for. If your thinking that his apology to the lgbt community would be a positive thing.think again. This vile bigot will surely find some way to make the gay community responsible for his fall from grace.Believe me he has no remorse for his attacks.For him his homosexuality is to blame for his troubles. Why is he going to give an apology for what he thinks . He is a sociopath, nothing more. He hates himself and everyone like him.and cares nothing for people he does not identify with. But remember that he very much enoyed the power and control that his position gave him. Just like a Rapist it is not about sex. It`s about power.The church gives these people all the power they need.and the idea they are immune from the law, any law.

8. It is indeed a shame that many closeted gay men would rather rail against gay people then come out. But coming out takes lots of courage, because many of them will see their careers spiral into the toilet. The straight community and news media loves to demand they be publicly crucified for their being gay. Congressman Barney Frank had lots of voting supporters in the State of Massachusetts who continued to keep him in office by their vote. If he were representing the State of Alabama, he’d probably would have been impeached by the state voters. For his penance, let’s hope he now apologizes to the gay community and becomes a gay activist helping other priests to have the courage to come out of the closet.

1. Yes! Keith O’Brien, required by UK public inquiry to do three years’ community service as an assistant in the office of Peter Tatchell. I would like that!

2. I actually thinking that it is not as hard to come out as it was. Goodness even Tories are doing it in their droves.

What I suspect is happening is that it is harder not to come out and this is what really makes it hard for the the closeted old self loathing bitter queens. I suspect it also makes it harder for them to utilize their secretive sexually predatory behavior cause young people are getting more secure in their sexuality to put up with being molested. Although I have to admit that for those who have experienced a conservative Catholic upbringing and are questioning their sexuality must been like nectar to predators like O’Brien.

9. ...Paddyswurds 4 Mar 2013, 4:11pm

Does anyone know if Chairman of the BBC, Chris Patton, is a Roman Catholic? If so it would explain a lot….

1. Robert in S. Kensington 4 Mar 2013, 4:21pm

Yes, he is!

1. Yes, it would explain why Robert Piggott, who used always to be rather pro-gay, has in recent months, until last night, appeared to be on the side of the homophobes!

2. casparthegood 4 Mar 2013, 4:25pm

The legacy of Lord Reith cast a long shadow. The anti gay attitude was in place long before Patten got the job but I see your point.
      I think it’s a case of too many self-hating old queens in the top jobs there generally

10. Has anybody else considered that an appropriate caption for that pic of O’Brien accompanying the article is:

“Hey, boy! You’re doing a damn fine job down there! Keep at it!”

11. Justusboyz 4 Mar 2013, 4:20pm

The thing I most object to is the daming and homophobe comments, kowing that he was always gay I would be forgiving if he spent 30 years saying nothing about gay people!

12. Robert in S. Kensington 4 Mar 2013, 5:10pm

Further proof that not even prayer can get rid of the gay in him. It must be sending all those religious nutters out there into a tail-spin knowing that one of their own is one of us. Notice how quiet they’ve suddenly become, not even a sound from the Ann Widdecombe brigade. It’s really taken the wind out of the sails of the anti-equal marriage bunch knowing that one of their most formidable leaders is not really one of them after all. A total fraud just like the rest of them.

1. “It’s really taken the wind out of the sails of the anti-equal marriage bunch knowing that one of their most formidable leaders is not really one of them after all.”

I hope. I hope. I hope, Robert!

Hasn’t Catherine Deveney done a great job bringing the whole thing to light!

13. Hell will freeze over first before he will apologise to us….then again isn’t he going there now…..YES….

14. It’s so nice to see these comments and know my feelings are matched almost word for word by others.

I got drawn into a discussion with a catholic on Twitter, and it is astounding how blinkered some are to the damage O’Brien has done, both inside and outside their church.

I really doubt they’ll be an apology, in my twatter discussion in evasion of the subject of O’Brien apparently stating denial of ones sexuality as being the real problem I was saying paedophilia should be wowed and was later accused of being neurotic for saying O’Brien was a hypocrite.

They wonder why so many have issue with them! of course that too was denied. what planet are these die hard cathys on???

1. bloody phone. wowed=allowed cathys=catholic

15. Permit me for being a bit picky….but there should be absolutely NO sexual behaviour involved with a CELIBATE RC priest, so any sexual behaviour must be ABOVE the expectations that we, the sinful hoi-polloi might have. After all he’s had plenty of time to practice if you could Seminary Shenanigans onwards….close on 60 years. Perhaps we should get all those with whom he has had “inappropriate” relations to given hima score out of 10…..!

1. should have been COUNT Seminary Shenanigans…..sorry!

16. I don’t like this article. The face of “horny shameless old man” Cardinal Keith O’Brien is making in the picture they used of him looks like he is about to rape me. Fortunately for me I am away over his age preference (25, to be clear).

17. Who wants an apology? For goodness sake! who cares about an apology? Gay protestants? Is the apology gonna change anything? Catholic gays don’t even care because the do understand things are not going to change. They should be happy knowing they are accepted with their differences, marriage is between a man and a woman period, that’s has been and lets keep it that way, people that complain are not even catholics they just want more controversy and make their religion look good. Lets, just keep living.