PinkNews founder labelled as ‘blasphemous’ for BBC Radio 4 programme likening abandonment of Christ to rejection of gays

1. Dave North 4 Mar 2013, 11:23am

The analogy is perfectly valid.

Nope.

He never mentioned it once. NOT ONCE.

I would say blasphemy is putting words into your “saviours” mouth.

The hypocrisy of christian concern stinks.

1. My thoughts exactly. It’s amazing to see the lenghts that some people like Andrea Williams will go to justify their homophobia.

2. Sean Anderson 4 Mar 2013, 12:30pm

Now I come here as a Christian, so I can see a balanced opinion on the latest same-sex marriage news. First of all, I will say that I believe homosexual acts are sinful. Jesus was God, and Jesus quoted the original intention for marriage from Genesis (in Matthew 19), i.e. one man and one woman for life, which has constantly been corrupted by humans.

But gay people should not be so offended. We do not hate you. We are all sinners, and Christ did not come for the righteous, but for sinners. Why must we go on trying to justify sins? The sinner can already be justified in Christ as a free gift of grace. When we become Christians, we all reject ourselves. When we are condemned by the Law, we are compelled to the gospel. Christians hate sin, including their own, but this is to the end of being gracious to sinners that they might also reject themselves and be joined to Christ, who has fulfilled the Law on our behalf. Repent and believe the gospel: no one is excluded.

1. Dave North 4 Mar 2013, 12:44pm

Take your religious ramblings and stuff them back to where they came from.

Ie. Up your @rse.

Haven’t you lot f\/cked up humanity enough.

1. Sean Andersons 4 Mar 2013, 1:39pm

I’m sorry you feel the need to respond in this manner. My God has loved me and has allowed me to call him Father in Christ, and he has also loved you, but you haven’t seen it yet. God bless you.

1. Dave Nortth 4 Mar 2013, 1:45pm

I neither need nor desire your deities love or approval.

Go comment on Catholic Voices or Christian concern or Christian voices web sites.

Oh forgot You cannot. COMMENTS NOT ALLOWED.

2. Sean Anderson 4 Mar 2013, 1:59pm

I want to share the good news with those who do not know it, Dave, so they can inherit God’s Kingdom. This is a very positive matter!

3. Such a shame then, Sean Andersons, that such sanctimonious piety just makes the palms of many (if not most) of us itch to give you a good slap.

Try and understand, though the delirium of your joy, that most intelligent people today do not accept that Jehovah created a woman from the original man and whose union presents the only desirable model for adult relationships.

2. bobbleobble 4 Mar 2013, 12:47pm

So in other words not balanced at all but entirely from the Christian perspective. Genesis does not preclude the possibility that gay couples can also marry, read it, it simply doesn’t. Matthew 19 was a response to a particular question about heterosexual marriage and again his response does not preclude homosexual couples marrying.

Why should we not be offended when you use Bronze Age diktats to tell us how we should live and then claim to love us?! What a load of rot. You call us sinners because we express love for a person of the same sex, I’m sorry but I can’t see that as anything other than hate however you try to disguise it in your Christian double speak.

1. Sean Anderson 4 Mar 2013, 1:33pm

‘You call us sinners’ – and I call myself a sinner. Humans are fallen. It is only in Christ any of us can attain forgiveness and it is undeserved. The interpretation is black and white, but people seek to justify sins. If we do not, we see that God loves us despite our sins (but does not love our sins!) and this is the path to life. May God have mercy on you.

1. bobbleobble 4 Mar 2013, 2:15pm

Interesting that you didn’t actually engage with any of my response other than that. But who are you to call anyone a sinner? You can call yourself whatever you like but don’t dare assume to tell me what I am doing is wrong in the eyes of a God I don’t believe in. Your typically holier than thou attitude is part of what puts me off Christianity.

2. Jean-Paul 4 Mar 2013, 3:49pm

Are you gay, Sean??

Ex-gay??

3. “The interpretation is black and white”

So it might be, but you are choosing the black/dark/hate interpretation rather than the white/light/love one. You choose to twist the bible to single out groups to disapprove of when there’s no such hate in the bible, and you completely miss the point of what Love is – in the broadest sense of the word.

You say you’re happy but I don’t believe you. If you were so happy, you wouldn’t feel the need to convert and preach here nor beat yourself and others up about supposed sins which are nothing of the sort.

You’ve not responded to a single point people have made in reaction to your comments because your religious views blinker you and you seem to screen out anything that threatens your fragile world view. I’d also like to ask you – are you gay/ex-gay?

3. Liam the God 4 Mar 2013, 12:52pm

“When we are condemned by the Law, we are compelled to the gospel”? Does that mean that you regard the Law of the Land as SECONDARY to what is written in the bible? If that’s the case you are a danger to us all, because you can’t “Pick and Choose” which laws you obey in a MODERN SOCIETY! If you want that kind of world I suggest you move to Pakistan where people regularly ignore the law of the land in the name of their holy book (look how many people are accused of Blasphemy over there!).

1. Sean Anderson 4 Mar 2013, 1:37pm

Yes, biblical authority is greater than governmental authority for the Christian. Governments are given authority by God and should be obeyed as far as they agree with God or where his Word has allowed for liberty. But where the governments disagree with the living God, then I do not submit to the views of the government and I will make my stance known. Do not think that I have come to destroy you, but rather to share my knowledge of God, who has loved me patiently. May he have mercy on you.

1. Dave North 4 Mar 2013, 1:47pm

Hope you enjoy your jail time then.

Brainwashed fool.

2. Sean Anderson 4 Mar 2013, 1:54pm

My riches are in Christ, Dave. If the government wishes to put me in prison for calling a sin a sin and yet preaching forgiveness, they may do this. I will accept my fate because it is written that Christians will be persecuted. But the riches are to come in God’s kingdom, which is also open to you if you trust in Christ, who desires to redeem you and to forgive all your sins. He is our substitute.

3. Liam the God 4 Mar 2013, 2:09pm

Nonono, GOVERNMENTS are ELECTED by the PEOPLE! NOBODY is appointed by “God”, not even the pope; they are chosen by people. You are delusional and should really think harder about what you say/type.

4. “Yes, biblical authority is greater than governmental authority for the Christian”

Ok, so why aren’t you out stoning all the adulterers to death then? Why aren’t you putting to death anyone who works on the Sabbath? etc etc etc

And what on earth has Matthew 19 got to do with anything? It’s opposing divorce and saying marriage should be for life. It is NOT saying that two people of the same sex shouldn’t marry – indeed, Jesus later goes on to talk about ‘eunuchs’ that were ‘born like that’ which is an acceptance that man/woman marriage isn’t for everyone.

If someone had asked Jesus if people should look after their sons and he’d answered ‘Yes, you should look after your sons because they’re a gift from god” or similar, it’d be facile for anyone to them assume ‘god doesn’t approve of daughters or daughters AREN’T a gift from god. LGBT people are the same. Nothing in the bible proscribes consensual, loving, adult same sex relationships. NOTHING. Only human prejudice reads it like that.

5. Jean-Paul 4 Mar 2013, 3:55pm

mmm…as long as you pay your taxes, buddy

4. Deluded fool -take your self hating ramblings somewhere else.

3. EXACTLY.
      Also, she indirectly quotes, never pointing out the exact verses, because to do so would be to go out on thin ice. *Her* view is based on *her interpretation* of *her translation* of the Bible.

1. That’s because she’s simply bigoted about homosexuality. But WHY? What is her motivation for ignoring so many OTHER biblical ‘sins’? Why are these people so obsessed about this one particualr ‘sin’? Could it be some form of ‘self-loathing’? Is THAT why so many ‘religious’ people use this ONE biblical topic to spew forth their venomous persecution …. to purge themselves of their own inner-demons? Hmmmm?

1. In some cases, yes, but in others just simple bullying. Some homophobes are self-loathing, others just run-of-the-mill bullies.

ALL bullies have personal insecurities which they try to compensate for by bullying and denigrating other people. LGBT people as a group are often seen as a ‘permissible’ group to denigrate, especially where you can use the excuse of religion to ‘justify’ your hate.

2. burningworm 4 Mar 2013, 11:24am

When did choice become a dirty word?

We choose it all.

1. Choice is not a dirty word in its self, choosing to be deliberately ignorant is not good on the other hand.

1. burningworm 4 Mar 2013, 1:27pm

We may not choose our sex but we choose our gender.
        We may not be born hetero but homosexuality isn’t thrusted upon us. Tongue suicide has become the norm and thumbs down to an obvious truth displays an ignorance in and of itself.

1. Acting as if your opinion is objective truth indicates a far greater ignorance, to be fair.

1. burningworm 4 Mar 2013, 4:47pm

Perpetrating a misconception and promoting it as ‘The Truth’ is wildly different to me suggesting that we choose.

So i say again, why has choice become such a dirty word?
            Why do we need that ‘truth’ in order to exist, and coexist. When did equality blind us to the principle of privileging difference.

2. People ‘choose’ to be religious. I did not ‘choose’ to be gay. For years, I TRIED NOT to be gay in order to conform and not be an outcast. So, I almost ‘chose’ to be straight. But I most certainly did not ‘chhose’ to be gay. Who the hell on god’s earth (cliches intended) would CHOOSE to be gay in a world so full of religious homophobes and their misguided, misinformed, self-loathing gay supporters …. among which I presume I can count you, burningworm?

1. burningworm 4 Mar 2013, 4:42pm

I chose to be gay. We choose it. We don’t have to do anything about it, we choose to. Why is that so terrible?

To be frank. Your argument as popular as it is, that if we could choose why would we choose to be gay is self-loathing. Its self-loathing to want to be something you are not, it is not self-loathing to suggest that it is a choice.

1. Harlequin 6 Mar 2013, 9:07pm

So why would anyone choose to be self-loathing?

1. burningworm 7 Mar 2013, 11:49am

Society at large has coerced our decision making. It has cleared us of our sense of self and we have fallen into a region of self-loathing. Straight-acting is no longer a description it is an action we have adopted for our own safety but has paralysed our expression.

The whole born this way mantra is us usurping a Christian motif of creation. Why do we need that? What real difference would it make if there was no gay gene and that it wasn’t a birthright, are we any less right? What are we trying to prove and whom?

2. burningworm 7 Mar 2013, 11:52am

…to whom?

3. Whenever you see the phrase “Andrea Williams, director Christian Concern said…” you know it’ll be followed by a stream of gibberish.

Blasphemy has no legal standing in this country, so a) I don;t care and b)…

No, actually, a) covers it nicely.

1. On the other hand 4 Mar 2013, 12:46pm

Anyone who complains of ” blasphemy” is coming from a position of extreme arrogance and censorship. And arrogance is the actual sin of Sodom complained of in Ezekial.

I always find it ironic that Christian Concern/Institute ( whatever) claim to oppose censorship, while having supported the Blasphemy laws, until their recent repeal.

Anyway, well done Ben.

4. Bishop Ali Nazir talks about sexual ‘preferences’. It’s not my ‘preference’, it’s my sexuality. I didn’t choose it – it’s just what I was born with, like my right-handedness or the colour of my eyes.

Unlike his religion, which he has chosen. In the future, he may decide to convert to Islam, or Judaism, or come to disbelieve it all and be an atheist.

Nature against choice. Orientation against preference.

I know which I consider to be more important.

1. I meant Bishop Nazir Ali, but you knew that :)

5. Not really the best analogy.

Still if it gets a rise in the press…..

1. Liam the God 4 Mar 2013, 12:26pm

I agree. Not the greatest analogy, but when people like christian concern compare their need to treat people equally with the nazi persecution of the Jews I think it’s fully justified. Sauce for the goose, etc….

1. Liam the God 4 Mar 2013, 12:53pm

Oh, a down vote! Must be a Christian in the room :D

2. The analogy is rubbish because being gay is a natural attribute. Being the son of god is a delusion.

1. Liam the God 4 Mar 2013, 11:03pm

Fair Point, but it does spoil the line of argument. And don’t forget, XTIANS actually think Jesus WAS THE SON OF GOD! They don’t say WHICH god, mind you…. If he was the son of Thor that could cause some ripples within their theology ;)

6. ...Paddyswurds 4 Mar 2013, 12:20pm

This sort of theist rubbish gives me an almighty headache when I realise that there are still people in this world who are so wilfully stupid as to believe in this utter rubbish….sheesh! Do we really need it on a Gay website on a Monday morning with so much real stuff going on in the world …Like starving dying children in their millions and all this Andrea Williams bint can think of is a stupid analogy, and stupid it surely is on all levels.?

1. Absolutely. Wish I’d said it better myself.

7. Trust Minichiello Williams to open her mouth to make Christians look bad – she just can’t help herself. Her track record defending Christianity is pretty dismal and the more she pipes up the more unpleasant she makes it all appear. Her idea of apologetics is never having to say you are wrong – but of course she is and gets things wrong most of the time.

8. Liam the God 4 Mar 2013, 12:29pm

Comparing the treatment of Gay people to the crucifixion is blasphemy and offensive, but when xtians compare themselves to Jews in Nazi Germany, that’s fine! I see that these xtian idiots have no sense of irony, and can’t see their hypocrisy! It’d be funny, if it weren’t so dangerous.

1. ...Paddyswurds 4 Mar 2013, 12:55pm

Liam…
      Which crucifixion are you talking about One of the thousands carried out by the Romans or the fake one preached by deluded religionists? We should know so we can decide if you too are a deluded fool….

1. Liam the God 4 Mar 2013, 12:59pm

Which crucifixion do you think I’m talking about, given the context of the news item that we are commenting on? You can have 2 goes!

1. ...Paddyswurds 4 Mar 2013, 1:55pm

I was assuming you would be talking about reality rather than fiction. As i amongst millions of other undeluded people don’t subscribe to the fictional one, then i ask for only one “go” and that one is reality. That the Romans used crucifixion instead of gaol and so carried out thousands of real crucifixions mostly on errant soldiers is not in dispute as it is well recorded…. The “crucifixion being debated in this thread never happened because the character in question never existed and so the Romans couldn’t crucify non existent being….. The Roman and Jewish authorities kept extensive records and there is no one word regarding this fictional man. In fact there is no trace of such a person until almost 100 years after his supposed death. I tend to think that if a subversive such as that preached by xtianity there would be quite a stir and he would have gotten some mention, even if only to slate him as a subversive! It is bullshyte pure and simple…………

1. Liam the God 4 Mar 2013, 2:03pm

In the context of THIS NEWS STORY it is the supposed crucifixion of jesus. Why else would we be talking about these idiots foaming about blasphemy? Why are you even bothering to ask this question when it’s OBVIOUS which crucifixion is being referred to? Why am I wasting my life trying to even reply when you’ve gone “Off Topic”?

2. ...Paddyswurds 4 Mar 2013, 2:17pm

@Liam…
            ……”Comparing the treatment of Gay people to the crucifixion is blasphemy and offensive,”…. ….. Oh, so you are a deluded fool…who’d a thunk!

3. ...Paddyswurds 4 Mar 2013, 2:19pm

@Liam…
            ….. i meant to add… How can referring to fiction in order to make analogy be classed as blasphemy exactly?

2. That would be the crucification of a bloke of whom there is no evidence outside of the bible.

9. Whats the chances this programme will be “pulled'” by the anti-gay BBC?

1. Liam the God 4 Mar 2013, 12:48pm

No Bet.

2. Harlequin 6 Mar 2013, 9:15pm

If there were an anti-gay BBC, around a 98% probability, I’d think. In this universe, however, 0.

1. the BBC has been staunchly anti-gay it might as well be renamed to the CBC – Catholic Broadcasting Corporation.

10. Robert in S. Kensington 4 Mar 2013, 12:47pm

Williams claims the BBC panders to a liberal, politically correct agenda. Hmmm, since when? If only! On the contrary Williams, stop inventing your own facts please, especially when it comes to equal marriage.

It’s stunning that in this day and age, ‘blasphemy’ has any relevance or meaning. Proof just how out of touch christianity is.

11. They worry about causing offence to someone who might or might not have lived 2000 years ago, but they’re happy to discriminate and mistreat their fellow human beings living today.

Religion is dying. And it’s about time.

1. Correct. Organised religion IS dying. As people have become more educated, they’ve seen through the cynical and hypocritical way in which it’s been used to keep ‘the masses’ in check. That’s why we still in this country have an established church ‘in bed’ with the monarchy. It’s HIGH time we had a complete separation of church and state and stopped forty un-elected Bishops sitting in the House of Lords. We have the nerve to lecture the rest of the world on the merits of democracy while we retain religious leaders in our upper chamber. Scandalous.

12. theGentleWarrior 4 Mar 2013, 1:01pm

Very well Argued.

Nicely done

13. PN: “… united in revoltion and celebration, not tearing them apart.”

Think should be

“… united in devotion and celebration, not tearing them apart.”

Not sure if that was the intended word

14. I’d just rather we all woke up to the reality that the Judeo-Christian god is just as much a human invention as Zeus and Thor.

15. Go Ben.x

16. thelostdot 4 Mar 2013, 1:11pm

The bible tells Christians quite clearly that they should not be nailing people to a cross, yet again they seek to nail people to a metaphorical cross. What a deeply sad and disgusting bunch.

17. He must have known this would rattle their cage and they would start throwing toys out of the pram.

Well played Ben. I suspect we will see more crazies coming out showing what strange bunch they are.

1. If I was a conspiracy theorist, I might believe these religiofreaks are in the pay of the gay lobby. They have done so much harm to their respective organisations that they can ONLY be agents of the opposition :)
      I’d just say to them all, “Keep up the good work”. You’ve done more to further the cause of gay people than any Pink campaign could ever achieve.

18. The ONLY people Christ EVER showed utter disgust for was self-righteous RELIGIOUS leaders of his day!

I can back up my assertion chapter and verse from their holy book; can they do the same?

1. ...Paddyswurds 4 Mar 2013, 2:05pm

@Hayden…
      ……”The ONLY people Christ EVER showed utter disgust for was self-righteous RELIGIOUS leaders of his day!” …. according to whom? There is no credible record of such a person ever having existed. Those Jewish “self righteous” leaders of “his day” would surely have made note of such a “subversive” So would the Romans.. Nothing, not a dickie bird.. Now ain’t that a surprise … not!

1. I don’t believe Jesus existed. I’m not arguing that he did. I’m arguing that THEIR book says he did and it says he that the only people he ever condemned were the religiously self-righteous and hypocritical. I would have thought that me following comment about Zeus would have made that clear. :)

1. Liam the God 4 Mar 2013, 3:03pm

Don’t feed the troll!

1. Paddy is not a troll.

He is merely pointing out the fact that the Jesus as described in the bible is a complete work of fiction.

Perhaps there was some con-artist carpenter named Jesus who fooled some superstitious people that he had supernatural powers, and the cult of christianity grew up surrounding that myth.

However this is 2013. Religious people should always be regarded with suspicion if the person who holds these believes has received an education.

19. Oh, and isn’t Mr. Cohen Jewish like every other Cohen I’ve ever known?

How can a non-Christian blaspheme Jesus?

It would be like accusing me of blasphemy in Greece because I named my dog Zeus!

1. Dan Filson 4 Mar 2013, 1:23pm

I thought Jesus was Jewish. Did I miss something?

1. ...Paddyswurds 4 Mar 2013, 2:08pm

I suppose he was Jewish in the same way any fictional character can be Jewish…..

2. I hadn’t thought of that, but are you sure you’re right there Hayden? After all, some Muslims considered the Danish cartoons to be blasphemous even though they were drawn by a non-Muslim, didn’t they?

1. ...Paddyswurds 4 Mar 2013, 2:10pm

Blasphemy is a made up word used by the religiously delude in order to try bullying people into believing their fiction has some merit. There is no such law in the UK as blasphemy….

1. I thought blasphemy and blasphemous libel are still common-law offences in Northern Ireland?

1. ...Paddyswurds 4 Mar 2013, 4:30pm

Not that I’m aware of but even if there was it would never be used, as to attempt to do would be laughed at and ridiculed. Backward as some in the North of Ireland are they are self preserving enough to keep well away from such lunacy. The vile bigot Iris Robinson would have attempted it if that were possible so methinks if there is such a “law” it is historical and is well on it’s way to the dustbin of historical foolishness…..

2. ...Paddyswurds 4 Mar 2013, 2:21pm

deluded **

2. How can someone blaspheme someone they don’t believe is real or ever existed? It’s like Christians accusing Wiccans and witches of worshiping the Devil when NEITHER believe in the devil. Christians don’t get to decide whether non-Christians are blaspheming or not. They don’t get to police people’s minds, thought or beliefs. The same goes for Muslims deciding for non-Muslims. BOTH religions are chock FULL of arrogant pricks who believe that they rule the world and can imposed their delusion on those who don’t want it and didn’t ask for it.

1. Well, I can’t help but agree there, I was only pointing out that blasphemy (a silly category to linger in today’s world) isn’t an ‘offence’ that’s restricted to fellow-believers.

3. Christopher Hobe Morrison 6 Mar 2013, 9:43pm

No for that you just get hit by lightning.

20. alwaysniceman 4 Mar 2013, 1:21pm

PinkNews founder!

A conservative Polish priest had a dream recently that changed his views of gay people. In that dream Gays, Transsexual people and Lesbians were in heaven. Jesus told him that they were excluded on earth and had to struggle with cross.

I hope you can support yourself easily by mentioning the priest!

Here is the full story to translate with google translate:

1. Yes because Jesus paid the price and died also for Gays and lesbians and Trans.. Job done!

21. Perhaps we should call in the top Christian in the UK to speak to this issue.

Cardinal O’Brien…

Oh, um…never mind.

22. “Jesus loves everyone but his message to homosexual community is to turn away from their previous path.”

Does Andrea realise how stupid she sounds when she says crap like that? Jesus never said “I’ll find you easy to love… you however, not so much.”

Also she obviously hasn’t heard about the Roman centurion’s same-sex lover who was very sick with an illness. Jesus said he’ll go heal him, but the centurion said his word was enough, and Jesus praised him saying he hasn’t witnessed such faith and that others should aspire to that.

Care for some humble pie Andrea?

1. Not only stupid, ranting and raving and arrogant too. She’d rather starve than eat humble pie, I think – and then blame everyone else for her starvation, of course. The UNchristian Institue and their ilk are martyrs and whiners like all the fundies.

2. floridahank 4 Mar 2013, 9:34pm

You said, “…about the Roman centurion’s same-sex lover who was very sick with an illness.” There is no evidence that they were “lovers.” Many centurnions had male slaves rather than female slaves, because the males could do more difficult work. I’ve heard your position posted many times, but there is no factual evidence of this being a case of lovers. I believe you’re doing wishful thinking. Don’t read your personal desires into the Bible — it’s self-explanatory.

1. You know what the Roman’s did with their slaves right?

23. Jock S. Trap 4 Mar 2013, 2:17pm

Oh yawn…. The Christian… always the victim….

Andrea Williams… well we all know what end she usually talks out of, being that most of it stinks and is basically shit!

24. “Jesus loves everyone but his message to homosexual community is to turn away from their previous path.”

Jesus never spoke about gay people. Andrea Williams is a bigot and needs to read her bible again

25. Benjamin Cohen 4 Mar 2013, 3:07pm

Some people have asked why I said what I said in the programme. The reason is that I was asked by the BBC to deliver a Lent Talk on abandonment from a personal perspective linked to the story of Jesus. So I talk about my own fears of coming out when I was a teenager because I came from an Orthodox Jewish background.

I hope that makes sense, I didn’t just wake up earlier this year and decide to ask the BBC to present the programme! But I’m hugely grateful to the BBC for allowing me to say what I said and give my own perspective on coming out. Please do listen on Wednesday evening and let me know what you think! (8:45pm BBC Radio 4)

1. Ben it seems like a trap. The BBc has made it clear what they think about queers. And don’t Jews beleive that Jesus was not the messiah? so why did they ask you?

2. Isa Kocher 4 Mar 2013, 3:15pm

god in the gospels the old testament says nice things about gay people: jonathan and david and ruth and naomi, jesus praises gay people, 1 the centurion who loves his eremenos, and 2 mathew 19:12. so you’re right. the blasphemers are the ones who put hate cruelty savagery intolerance in jesus’mouth.

3. But surely you don’t believe in ‘god’?

Surely you regard the bible, torah and qu’ran as works of fiction that should be regarded as exactly that – fictional fables with no basis in any reality. .

Why would you legitimise religion (which has so little of value to offer the world now that we have science and logic and mathematics and a literate population) in this way?

26. Love god hate religion

1. Hate religion love reason

1. Eddy the bible does have some good advice you know. It’s not totally rubbish

1. Agreed. The 1st few commandments are worthless as they are about ‘god’. The rest are reasonable enough

2. floridahank 4 Mar 2013, 9:41pm

Please tell me about your “god” and how you got your detailed information about who he is, what he does, and why he acts the way that he does? There are many “gods” out there, and everybody can create their own god…so your god may not mean much to anybody else.

27. Isa Kocher 4 Mar 2013, 3:10pm

the blasphemers are the hate mongers who put hate speech in the mouth of Jesus. they are the selfhaters. not one word in jesus’mouth against us. he praised the centurion who loved his eremenos. he praises us in matthew 19:12

28. Isa Kocher 4 Mar 2013, 3:21pm

also matthew 19:12

29. I thought we’d moved out of The Middle Ages and ‘blasphemy’ had been confined to history along with the burning witches and stoning of adulterers? Why are these ‘christians’ so selective in their use of the bible? Is it simply to justify their OWN bigotry and strange fascination with all things ‘gay’? What could possibly be their motivation? Anything connected with hypocritical Scottish Cardinals …?

30. That is an absurd comparison for Cohen to be making.

Jesus Christ is a fictional character. Perhaps there was a carpenter named Jesus H. Christ in Jerusalam 2000 years ago but that person was certainly not the son of ‘god’ seeing as ‘god’ is also a fictional character. Like all other cult figures (L Ron Hubbard of the scientologists being a more recent example) people have assigned magical qualities to human beings.

Reasonable people should stop trying to reason with religious people – until those people overcome their mental illness (religious belief is delusional after all) then they should be regarded with pity.

31. If the cult surrounding Jesus had already formed while that con-artist carpenter Jesus was still alive, then I think the Romans acted very sensibly by crucifying Jesus.

If a muslim in 21st century Britain started gathering an army of followers to overthrow our government to impose sharia law then he would be jailed.

2000 years ago, conspiracy to overthrow the Roman Empire was dealt with by the death penalty.

Jesus had it coming to him.

1. No-one has the death penalty “coming to them”.

1. I agree, I am opposed to the death penalty.

Which is why in Britain in 2013 an islamic extremist inciting people to overthrow the government would be jailed.

In the bible the fictional character of Jesus was conspiring to have his buddies overthrow the government – the Roman Empire.

According to the laws of the time his crucifixion was entirely justifiable as that was how treason was punished.

32. Ben Cohen, I detest all religions, all hocus-pocus, but I have to applaud your clever way of challenging Xians over their rejection of homosexual people! Well done!

I notice, however, how easily, and how sadly, they immediately reject the challenge. Nevertheless, we must still keep fighting.

33. I’m a gay Catholic theologian and this is bullshit – it totally is not blasphemous to equate our rejection with the rejection or abandonment experienced by Jesus. The whole point of God becoming man was for God to experience and understand human suffering and showing us how to transcend it. The LGBT community can identify with Jesus in a much more intimate way than heterosexuals because of the way we have been treated. And I reject the image of God the Father forcing God the Son to do anything, it was all freely chosen and out of love for us.

1. There is no ‘god’. That’s a fictional construct.

And you are a gay catholic theologian? As a catholic if you are sexually active as your church regards you as innately disordered and committing mortal sin.

If you want to make the lifestyle choice to believe in ‘god’ I suggest you find a different church.

1. ...Paddyswurds 4 Mar 2013, 10:31pm

@Kevin….
        …some serious issues there Kev, old boy; not least the fact that you suffer from delusion off the sickest kind, that of believing the voices in your head. As has been pointed out on numerous posts in this thread there are NO deities even though man has invented over 4000 of them in a vain attempt to assuage his fear of his inevitable demise or more sinisterly, in a vain attempt to control his fellow man…. Have you taken your meds today?

1. Kevin – you are a very typical christian – rude, obnoxious, hostile, aggressive and refusing to answer reasonable questions.

If you have been educated and believe in ‘god’ then you are being wilfully ignorant.

When you die you WOULD be disappointed that there is no ‘god’ or ‘afterlife’ but seeing as there is no ‘god’ or ‘;afterlife’ it’s a moot point,

2. Kevin: “Don’t fucking tell me how to live my life.”

Typical christian response – aggressive, hostile and incoherent.

I am not telling you how to live your life; I am merely pointing out some facts for you.

It is a FACT that within the catholic church the pope’s teaching is infallible.

It is a FACT that the pope regards you (yes Kevin, you) as ‘innately disordered’ because you are gay.

If you have sex with a man, or question the pope’s authority then you are committing mortal sin and will go to hell.

Clearly this is nonsensical rubbish, but it raises questions about why you want to be part of a church whose official doctrine is to hate you.

By the way do you believe in that ‘god’ thing? If so then where’s your quantifiable proof?

1. No it’s not a Christian response, it’s the response of someone who is sick of being judged by LGBT and religious alike and someone who isn’t going to let anyone tell them how to live their life.

As a theologian I obviously know what the Church teaches so you don’t have to state the obvious. When most people think of religious people, they think of people who are in the second stage of spiritual development. But I’ve got news for you, many atheists are in stage two as well with their militant crap. Don’t fucking force your shit down my throat. My truth is different from your truth. I am in stages 3 and 4 of spiritual development so I seek truth as my authority and not authority as my truth, therefore I reject the teachings of the Church that are illogical. I am into mysticism and am ignostic, not agnostic, which means that God cannot be defined so to be an atheist is stupid because you are atheist about something for which there is no universal or set definition.

2. floridahank 4 Mar 2013, 9:47pm

Kevin, you said, “The LGBT community can identify with Jesus in a much more intimate way than heterosexuals.”
      Where did you find that nonsense. If you seriously study the Bible, you’ll see that the only ones who know and understand Jesus Christ are those who are “born again” as He said you must. Otherwise you’re simply another sinner, no different than any other sinner.

1. You don’t have to be a Christian to identify with rejection or abandonment. LGBT have experienced rejection and abandonment on a much deeper level than heterosexuals.

You are the one talking nonsense!

1. Liam the God 4 Mar 2013, 11:06pm

Dude, most of those on here have been through Coming Out one way or another: You seem very bitter about yours. Correct, There is no God! why are you so angry?

1. I don’t know where you got that from? Weird assumption. I’m perfectly happy and out and had a really positive experience. I feel angry because when I’m around religious people I get judged for my sexuality but when i’m around homosexuals I get judged for my religion. Everyone wants to change me and not accept me and I find it absolutely disgusting that the LGBT community judges me just because I choose with my total freedom to still involve myself with religion and spirituality.

2. It’s not just homosexuals who judge you for your religion, Kevin.

The difference between religion and the homosexuals is that while the religions judge you for being gay, they are also actively conspiring to remove your civil and human rights.

The homosexuals (among others) just judge you for your wilful ignorance, but don’t want to remove your rights.

2. floridahank 5 Mar 2013, 4:12am

Have you not read about the millions of Christians being killed in many countries? In the African, Korean, Iranian, Russian countries they kill Christians every day, so don’t be saying LGBT people are more hated and persecuted than Christians worldwide. Read your papers, and hear the TV news — homosexuals are not anywhere more murdered than are Christians. It’s a God-hating world a hundred times more than a homosexual-hating world — state your opinion and facts more objectively next time.

1. homosexuals are not anywhere more murdered than are Christians

Kindly provide the statistics to support your assertion.

Oh, you can’t? Thought so.

2. Erm… Did you listen to Benjamin’s talk? Do you even recall that he himself was a theologian?

34. “The BBC panders to a liberal, politically correct agenda and fails to take the opportunity to explore and educate its listeners about the true meaning of Lent and Easter.”

Funny, with shear amount of anti gay and catholic bullshit they put on the air almost every day, with no opposing few to counter these bigots, i thought the BBC was doing exactly the opposite

1. You mean the catholic church ISN’T a vast colossus of liberal thought? :P

35. Nobody should ever apologise for blasphemy. To submit in such a way will only embolden bigots into demanding new laws for it, and for ever harsher punishments to be meted out upon the blasphemous.

36. Kelvin Beer-Jones 4 Mar 2013, 6:34pm

What a wonderful opportunity. Go for it Ben with your sincere and deeply Christian message. Let’s have a blasphemy trial on this one!

1. Why do you regard support for homosexuality as ‘deeply christian’.

Homophobia is deeply christian – the vast majority of christian (and indeed other religions) hate gay people,

Support for homosexuality is the exception rather than the rule,.

1. Harlequin 7 Mar 2013, 1:26am

We must live in very different worlds. Hardly any of the Christians I’ve met (and I currently count a couple of dozen of them among my friends) have displayed any dislike of me, let alone hatred.

1. There are 2 types of Christian in this world those that hate you to your face and those that hate you behind your back.

1. Harlequin 7 Mar 2013, 2:40am

Have you been talking to my friends behind my back or do you just possess a gift of mass telepathy?

37. “Jesus loves everyone but his message to homosexual community is to turn away from their previous path.”

WRONG!!! Jesus NEVER addressed the issue of same-gender relationships!!!

Yet another example of so-called ‘Christians’ making up scripture to bolster their illogical/untrue argument!

38. ...Paddyswurds 5 Mar 2013, 12:09pm

It should be no great surprise to anyone that the BBC is so anti gay pro Roman Catholic cult as the current Chairman Chris Patten is an active member of same Roman Catholic cult.

1. Harlequin 7 Mar 2013, 1:32am

Is that why they didn’t allow Benjamin to be heard this evening?

39. Anyone in this day and age who uses the word “blasphemy” as an accusation, seriously needs to be put in a padded-cell with the key thrown away. What century does Andrea Williams live in? It certainly isn’t the 21st century. The woman is a laughing stock.