Priest who accused Cardinal O’Brien says the Catholic church would ‘crush him if it could’

1. Of course they would, there is a culture of closeted secrecy.

Still, it could be worst, the Catholic church of the not too distant past would have gone ahead and murdered him (how easily those who sit in the pews and hand over the money forget the awful history of institutionally approved and perpetrated bloodshed).

2. Of course they would, there is a culture of closeted secrecy.

3. The result of this should be that 1,000s leave the church. If there were parallels with a FTSE100 company the shareholders would have revolted and the profits would plumet overnight as immediate international boycotts become effective.

Scotland. Your move.

4. It seems that the Cardinal has conceded that his behaviour was not what it should have been

1. Jean-Paul 3 Mar 2013, 6:15pm

A stunning turn of events.

2. strikes me as typical that his conduct and his beliefs around gays seem not to have been picked up in the report – this hypercritical monster and liar – has spent years denouncing us all – and the vile bigot was fucking inside his own vatican closet!!

5. Quote: ‘the priest said he was “disappointed” by the “lack of integrity” shown by the Catholic church.’

He must be rather ignorant of Christian history, then. The Church hasn’t had any integrity for at least 1,500 years.

6. More evidence of how authoritarian, secretive and repressive the RC Church and many churches are.

7. Robert in S. Kensington 3 Mar 2013, 8:50pm

Now that O’Brien has admitted his guilt, he should see to it that his church refrains from seeking retribution against these five brave priests. If he truly seeks redemption, he should do some good by taking the advice of The Tablet by reaching out and making peace with the gay community, stop demonising us and stop opposing our right to marry.

I was hoping perhaps these priests would take the matter to the police but I’m sure they fear reprisals by the hierarchy. This shouldn’t be allowed to happen. Nobody should be above the law, least of all clergy.

8. That There Other David 3 Mar 2013, 9:58pm

So let’s see now…according to the Church’s rules all he needs to do is ask for forgiveness and they’ll give him a big hug and welcome him back to the fold.

Anyone reckon that would actually happen?

Well done him for showing the old hypocrite well and truly up.

1. As Ben Summerskill of Stonewall has said, according to the BBC News website, “We note with sadness that the cardinal didn’t find it in him to apologise to gay people, their families and friends for the harm his vicious and cruel language caused.”

9. casparthegood 3 Mar 2013, 11:55pm

One thing is fairly certain. Those priests who spoke out will be able to look themselves in the eye in the morning.At least they had the moral courage to speak up in the face of hostility More than can be said for his apologists.

10. When I told my bishop that I had been sexually abused by another priest, instead of supporting me, he withdrew and distanced himself at the time when I needed him the most. His actions were unforgivable. I became more angry with him than I was with the abuser.

1. Hi Rob, sorry to hear that the bishop distanced himself from you, just goes to show that he shouldnt be in the job. Take care of yourself and keep faith remember its Jesus thats the boss, not any hierarchy…Big hugs

11. PeterinSydney 4 Mar 2013, 10:51am

This character is such a total disgrace to humanity and especially the Church, Has he apologized to his victims, the total bastard. How dare he oppose marriage equality and gay life style, when all along he has been in the closet, taking advantage of vulnerable people in his charge. He deserves to go to the deepest part of hell and take all the other denying homophobes in the Church.

12. On your knees O’Brien…..then again maybe not…..

13. I was raised and educated in the Catholic Religion with the Nuns advising us that we should NEVER go into a non-Catholic Church nor have non-Catholic friends.
    I remember getting the ruler whacked on my bare hands when I could not prove I had been to Sunday Service when I got to school on the Monday Morning.
    A religion of fear, “Oh Yes it Was”.
    I am a lady now in my 70’s and never again went into a Church after I left school

14. As a gay man and cradle catholic, I would very much like to thank those priest’s who had the courage to come forward, and expose Keith O’Brien for the hypocrite he is, and lies he told when the story first broke. I regret to say I believe there are many more like him in the church. I wish there were more priest’s with courage and integrity like the five who have come forward in the church.

1. Patricia McLaughlin 5 Mar 2013, 1:50am

Not only was he a hypocrite, he was abusing his position of power! Men in power do this to women all the time.