Cardinal Keith O’Brien admits inappropriate ‘sexual conduct’ following allegations

1. Well maybe an apology to the LGBT community wouldn’t go amiss. He was like a rabid dog in his supposed hatred of us and all the time he understood about same sex attraction. Vile old man.

1. de Villiers 3 Mar 2013, 6:52pm

What an admission – given his initial denial. He must have known what were the allegations when they first became public.

This is another sad example of a Minister being both a liar and a hypocrite – and another sad sign of the dysfunctional state of the Church and of people whom the Cardinal abused.

It seems to me that this can cause nothing but harm for Catholicism and the Church.

1. Jean-Paul 3 Mar 2013, 7:25pm

This should be a turning point for any thinking catholic.

How many cardinals like him are going into the conclave?

2. BBC says he’s abroad – is the old hypocrite at the Vatican.
        This is all so well timed – the Catholic Church has timetabled this since last year – did Benny16 go to save him from lying his arse off .
        Popes don’t just resign because their old. The whole fekin church is made up of hateful and corrupt old men.
        This all should push it into meltdown but sadly it won’t.

1. they’re – sorry.

2. Yes, and in his rank hypocrisy he was no different from John Magee ex-bishop of Cloyne, in Ireland, who was the gay private secretary of THREE popes, who all the while was conducting sexual relationship with young men in Rome!

O’Brien and Magee might now care to shack up with each other. In fact, as people are saying O’Brien has disappeared, maybe he’s already being given refuge by his fellow hypocrite!

And how could three Popes have a gay private secretary and not know it! I bet they all knew it. But they didn’t mind because they’re gay too. Just like Benny and his boyfriend Georg Ganswein!

3. casparthegood 3 Mar 2013, 10:34pm

I notice the usual BBC religous affairs correspondent has vanished tonight The same one who did everything but call the accusations a pack of lies in the beginning. I hope he has taken his brand of religous propaganda with him ,but I somehow doubt it. :-(

1. Are you talking about Piggott?
        Today’s BBC website

1. casparthegood 4 Mar 2013, 1:27pm

Took him a while to appear . I guess he was away having the vapours

2. H has apologised for sexual conduct including the time he was a Cardinal (since 2003) so it has been going on the whole time. Why don’t more of these “abused” priests come out and denounce him? Perhaps many have guilty secrets of their own.

2. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

1. Couldn’t put it better myself

3. Jean-Paul 3 Mar 2013, 6:05pm

…. jaw drops… ! !

4. This may not be a very popular comment but:

Keith, your words and actions were offensive, dangerous, disgusting, insulting and – we now see – wildly hypocritical. Had you not been caught out, you’d still be spouting these terrible lies right now.

I forgive you.

Why? Because you must be a terribly confused and unhappy man. Because clearly you need professional psychiatric help.

And, frankly, because internalising hatred (either of oneself or someone else) is a corrosive, soul-destroying force. And I don’t want that in my life, or yours.

I hope you’ll strive to do only good for your fellow gay countrymen from now on. Good luck!

1. Fine if it were just about his own internal conflict. But remember his victims. Remember what he tried to do to ever LGBT person in Scotland. Remember what he called us. Remember the hatred he tried to engender against every LGBT person in the country if not further afield.

1. Mike: the second paragraph of my comment shows that I’m fully aware of all of that.

None of it is likely to be forgotten by you, me or anyone else. He committed appalling verbal hate-crimes.

But, I see no gain for anyone in harbouring a grudge.

1. Sasha, I DO see MUCH gain in being really really angry about this! And I do see much gain also in now demanding that this man be punished in some way.

There is nothing wrong with anger! Anger helps us clean this world of what is wrong with it!

I for one will never EVER forgive O’Brien! Why? Because I am not a SUCKER! I suggest you let yourself be angry too.

1. I notice that you don’t specify exactly what is to be gained from anger.

Anyway, Eddy, thanks for replying. We’ll just have to agree to disagree, but you’ll get a green Thumbs Up from me, anyway. :)

2. What is to be gained from the anger that this admission summons forth, Sacha, is progress, is ground, is a massive surge forward.

Anger can propel us now to speak up, speak out, be bolder, to rightly say, “I told you so!” and to demand changes.

And our speaking out now, with anger, will make people think. The ordinary unthinking god-believing little Catholics out there will start to think . . . and then, just as has happened in Ireland, there can be a massive massive drop in the numbers still visiting Catholic churches, still supporting that revolting Xian cult.

I was in Scotland recently and popped into a Catholic mass. The church was full to the rafters, of the unthinking. While on the altar I saw a poncing fellow gay man: the priest! We need to make these people think.

At the very least we need to now kill Catholic opposition to Equal Marriage.

3. Hi, Eddy –

Not sure why but I can’t post my reply directly under yours.

I just can’t subscribe to your view, but thanks for explaining it.

2. Not to make any presumptions about your faith or non-belief Sasha, but you have spoken like a true christian who believes in love and forgiveness, not the hatred spouted by so many christian pretenders whose homophobic rants are truly demonic.

1. Thanks, Thomas! (You made me blush – that doesn’t happen often! :D)

For the record, I’m an Atheist.

2. Thomas, one of the craftiest tools of loathsome Xianity is to make you feel guilty about using your anger. That, my friend, is how they CONTROL YOU, how they STOP YOU from taking action AGAINST THEM!

“You must be a good little Xian. You must not get angry! You must only love, love, love!”

Wake up, Thomas. It’s a cult! The “commandment” against the valuable human emotion of anger is just a way of controlling you.

Get angry. Get empowered! Take control! Take control from them. Don’t let them keep taking control away from you!

3. de Villiers 3 Mar 2013, 6:57pm

Anger tends to lead not to cleansing but to violence and hate. The nastiness from others, including religious people, often comes from anger towards us.

That is not to say that one should forgive the Cardinal. But the anger does not help anyone, least of all the victims.

1. Crap! You need to get real! Do you think when all of Europe had succumbed that Britain saved itself by not getting angry!

Don’t be ashamed of anger. It is just another very valuable human emotion! To be used when needed.

2. de Villiers 3 Mar 2013, 9:58pm

The British entered the war with sorry and regret rather than with anger.

3. de Villiers 3 Mar 2013, 10:00pm

-sorrow

4. de Villiers, you really believe that it was an attitude of “sorrow and regret” that ensured that Britain and its allies managed to save his country from them? You really believe that as those Bomber Boys, those Army troops, those Fighter Pilots, went off across the channel they went off with “sorrow and regret” uppermost in their hearts? You really think “sorrow and regret” won us the war? You really think that “sorrow and regret” is the way to WIN?

C’mon, man!

2. By all means forgive him and I agree with your reasons given there but don’t let what he did ever be forgotten and covered up.

Has Keith O’Brien faced up to and admitted the harm he deliberately set out to cause other LGBT’s in his twisted campaign against equal rights?

Answer: No he hasn’t yet, he’s just sloping off with a half-hearted apology avoiding the main issue of his vicious hypocrisy. A proper apology to LGBT’s is what is required.

1. I agree, Pavlos. An apology to the LGBT community is due.

And nobody (least of all the former cardinal) is going to forget anything he did or said.

My hope is that this results in real change in how the Catholic Church is perceived.

1. Jean-Paul 3 Mar 2013, 7:43pm

Didn’t O’Brien take an unusual oath to defend catholic teaching on homosexuality when he became a cardinal?

In that case, he would have been torn all his life between his sworn loyalty to the church and his own sexuality. He chose to sacrifice himself not understanding about the power of sexual instincts to rise up and make a mockery of catholic doctrine.

Didn’t he see the harm he was doing to the gay community?

1. I guess he misread the bit about Catholic teachings on homosexuality… must’ve thought he was taking the practical exam.
            He flunked the bit about asking consent first, mind…

3. PantoHorse 3 Mar 2013, 6:45pm

I’m astounded by it – really gobsmacked and in so many ways so pleased he has been caught out in his unbridled hypocrisy. It really is jaw dropping.

I can’t also help feeling what a dreadful life this man must have had, both through his own conflict with his sexuality and how his own ‘wrongness’ in that respect had been repeatedly pointed out to him at almost every juncture. He must surely realise, and if he doesn’t then I hope his forthcoming period of reflection helps him here, how utterly damaging anti-gay bigotry is. He *is* that damage personified.

His life is in tatters, those he abused have been seriously affected, so many lives have been adversely affected by his dreadful lies and hateful bile; it’s almost beyond belief.

I sincerely hope this whole terrible, sorry episode brings about some serious, deep reflection in all of those with a religious bent.

1. PH – I have to agree with every word. Something good *must* come from all of this.

4. spookiewon 3 Mar 2013, 7:55pm

I think forgiveness can only follow a sincere admission of guilt and acceptance of the consequences. I didn’t see that. I agree he’s a terribly confused and unhappy man who needs psychiatric help. Help he won’t accept, because he’s not sorry for the people he’s harmed, he’s sorry he got caught.

5. Robert in S. Kensington 3 Mar 2013, 8:40pm

I wouldn’t mind betting he’ll still be against equal marriage.

1. Yep. He and his boyfriend are getting along just fine without it…

6. Sasha, you’re a nice boy. I am glad you forgive him but he can rot as far as I’m concerned. It’s too easy to lead a life of malicious hypocrisy and say sorry when you get caught.

1. Thank you, Cal. I agree that the cardinal would still be spouting this stuff if he hadn’t been caught out. I hope that his failure-by-hubris will result in real change. Not in the church: they are beyond hope. But the public perception of the RC is seriously damaged, reducing their ability to counter equality

7. Philip Breen 4 Mar 2013, 7:55am

I agree with you Sasha. Despite the evident wrong the Cardinal has perpetrated, he has shown himself to be trapped as a victim of defective understanding. He has harmed others. He has harmed himself. His utter and public humiliation at the eleventh hour appears to overshadow whatever good he has been able to do in his life as a priest & cause distress to those who care about him. He is now a sad, lonely and pathetic embarrassment to the Church he sought to serve. I cannot gloat when I know someone is suffering though he brought much of it on himself. Perhaps the whole episode might encourage the Church in the UK to try to be moderate in the way it says things, less harsh on those with other opinions, and help all of us, whoever we are and whatever we are, to try to be less cruel.

1. I agree, Philip. His man is a casualty of the Catholic church’s evil mindset. No doubt raised with a warped sense of sexual identity, overwhelmed with guilt thrust upon hm from an early age, O’Brien had been damaged probably beyond repair.

There have been times in the past few years when I’d have dearly loved to punch the guy. But,… His life is ruined, he will die unhappy, having lived a wasted life. Any good he did (and I’m sure he did some) is buried and forgotten. It’s hard to hate anyone that fucked up.

PS. Sorry. I clicked a green thumbs up but the system registered a dislike

8. Sasha,
      I feel glad that you can forgive him. I can’t and I hope for the (ex?)cardinal that he can’t forgive himself either.

5. No wonder all these a**holes promote the idea that homosexuality is disordered, inappropriate and unhealthy. Virtually every one of the people who promote this is involved in disordered, inappropriate and unhealthy homo sex. They have no idea that the vast majority of gay people don’t have sex with children or with people that work for them or with people that they are in a position of authority over or with people who don’t want to have sex with them. They judge the entire gay community by their self-hating, screwed up standards.

OUT THEM ALL!

1. Yes, yes, yes! Out them all! And have no “mercy”. Grant them no “forgiveness”.

Are we all to roll over now and behave like a bunch of fucking deluded nuns in St. Peter’s Square and say, “Ah, well, sure the flesh is weak, may he be granted god’s salvation!”

Not bloody likely!

2. barriejohn 3 Mar 2013, 6:53pm

Well said. You’ve hit the nail on the head!

3. I think you make a very good point. Homophobic closet-cases often behave in desperate and abusive ways and just assume that’s what ‘gay’ means. I have been nastily groped by men officially denying that they were gay and in one case got a sleazy pass made at me by a married guy with kids. And these were not consciously and ideologically homophobic people. It must add a whole layer of poison in the case of people who are. O’Brien must be seriously screwed-up as well as having made considerable efforts to screw-up other people as well. In all senses.

6. Ian Bower 3 Mar 2013, 6:10pm

And now he just slides away like a snake under a rock.
    The RC Church and Vatican must be the most corrupt organisation in the world.

1. Yep, slides away just like John Magee, ex-bishop of Cloyne in Ireland, now living in a nice little cottage in rural Ireland! He was gay and private secretary to THREE popes, while having it off and living a gay old life all the while! As evidenced here:

1. I’m with Eddy on this one.

7. Seriously. That dude looks like he’s munched down on more than a few penises in his day.

8. And that’s only five we’ve heard about. There must have been more. And if he thinks he can get away with anything then say please forgive me; forget it. I am sick and tired of these evil mouthed hypocrites who seek to do as much damage to other people because they hate themselves. How many kids committed suicide because of this evil monster? Get him behind bars where he belongs.

9. Maybe the point isn’t so much that his sexual conduct fell below the standard expected of him… rather more pertinently his sexual conduct fell below the standard he expected from everybody else.
    “Initially, their anonymous and non-specific nature led me to contest them.”
    For sure, deny everything until the closet door is blown clean off more like. Denial’s a bitch, huh?

10. “….fallen below the standards expected of me as a priest, archbishop and cardinal.”

For example, your whole life.

11. “..there have been times that my sexual conduct has fallen below the standards expected of me as a priest.”

What the hell does that mean since ALL sexual behavior falls below the standards expected of him as a priest!

I don’t have to be Catholic to know that. How did he get to be a Cardinal and still be fuzzy on that bit of doctrine? He still seems to be under the impression that there is some wiggle room there.

I think these prohibitions are stupid, unhealthy and dangerous but I didn’t make the rules. Screwed up people like HIM did!

1. I think that, although he hasn’t admitted anything about the nature/gender of those involved in these ‘incidents’, it’s pretty clear that it’s of a same sex nature.
      Had it been a sexual incident involving a female that he was apologizing for, he would have made that clear in his statement.
      This is fantastic news.
      It really does go and give credence to the old saying ‘the priest doth protest too much, methinks.
      The biggest homophobes, as we see time and time again, tend to be outspoken, religious, closet cases.

2. How did he become a cardinal? The Vatican equivilant of the casting couch, maybe?

12. A LIAR as well as a cossock-fiddler!!!!

13. Call me cynical, but does anyone else suspect that he released this statement 30 minutes after the Queen was admitted to hospital in the hope it wouldn’t get the amount of news coverage it otherwise would?

It seems to be working on the BBC, at least.

Anyway, on the substantive point of this cardinal and his demise, I would like to concur with the eloquent sentiments of Br00zR, “HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA”.

It’s been a good two weeks, we currently have no pope and this hypocrite has been exposed. Good news indeed!

1. Well the BBC has been known to work in collusion with the Roman Catholic Church, for example, on Vincent Nichols’ Christmas Day message about marriage equality. So you could be right about the timing in this case.

1. And even now the Cardinal is not telling the full truth, as can be seen from this piece in the Observer. The allegations were put to him in detail last week, and he knew precisely what he was accused of –

2. Yeah, let’s not forget that the BBC has strangely but clearly taken the side of the Catholic Church on the issue of marriage equality.

2. spookiewon 3 Mar 2013, 8:26pm

Doesn’t work in a a world where there exists cyberspace. THIS was all over my social media, and when I read your comment I went “WHAT? The queen was hospitalized?!?”

So, what’s wrong with the queen?

3. casparthegood 3 Mar 2013, 9:16pm

Watching BBC rolling news just now and BBC are tying themselves in knots trying to minimise the fallout from his admission and the damage he has caused in the past . Why am I not surprised?

14. cossock = cassock Oops!!!

1. Spanner1960 3 Mar 2013, 6:40pm

Surplus to requirements. :)

1. Surplice anyway.

15. He said “However, I wish to take this opportunity to admit that there have been times that my sexual conduct has fallen below the standards expected of me as a priest, archbishop and cardinal”

I am assuming he means the men he had sex with were above the age of consent…

What a shit of a man…

16. He DARES to “seek” fucking “forgiveness”!

The nerve of these religious people!

One minute they’re enjoying the pleasures of the flesh. Next minute they’re denouncing such pleasures from the pulpit! Next minute they’ve been exposed, and then just a few days later, it’s all meek little faces, wringing of hands, and “please, forgive me”!

Poor little diddums!

Like HELL, O’Brien! You inflicted psychological pain, you did deliberate psychological VIOLENCE!

You must be punished!

Who will punish him?

The church is going to give him a nice little flat to die in, while he watches gay porn on his computer!

17. Bill Cameron 3 Mar 2013, 6:49pm

Just days ago he was trying to bluster/bully people into silence by denying the allegations and by stating he was going to take legal advice.

Now he admits that the allegations are true (probably because it has been made very clear to him that he had no option); I doubt very much that ‘conscience’ has got very much to do with it, sadly.

Whist I still think he is a sad excuse for a human being, I do forgive him for his sins, because he is obviously a sad and confused individual. What he now does need to do now, though, is to endorse publicly the plans in the UK to pass legislation permitting same sex marriage – then he can go off into the obscurity he mentions.

1. May I put it into your mind, Bill, that far from being a sad and confused individual, this was a highly intelligent individual who had great ambitions, ambitions stretching to Rome! He made it to Cardinal, after all! He was prepared to denigrate us in order to get there. Don’t forgive him. Never forgive such hateful behaviour. Make him pay. There is no heaven, there is no hell: we have to dish out to people like him in the here and now . . . or else, dear Bill, they will simply go Scot-free!

This one will be given a stipend and a nice little flat somewhere nice and peaceful. He’s probably already there. Pouring the whisky and tucking into his dinner.

18. Jean-Paul 3 Mar 2013, 6:59pm

what’s wrong ?? Only the first two of 32 comments are showing up… grumble, grumble

1. Jean-Paul 3 Mar 2013, 7:20pm

it’s ok now… must have been a glitch…

what an astounding turn of events.

How many catholic parents chastised their gay children because of this man’s public statements? And for what?

1. Precisely, JP! Precisely! How many young men, and young women, cowered in their pews while listening to the vile and hateful words this mean put into letters that he had priests all over Scotland read out aloud at Sunday Bloody Mass!

1. Yeah…and me 52 years ago as a seminarian.
          Told to leave my studies to seek medical ‘electro-‘ help for this serious affliction, this homosexuality.
          I echo BR00zr up top there.
          Hhahahahahahahahahahhahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhahahahhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…NOW I’VE GONE AND WET ME PANTS…HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
          KUNTZ, THE LOT OF THEM.

19. What a hypocritical self hating old man. When you think of the pain and misery he has caused…disgusting beyond words.

20. “To those I have offended, I apologise and ask forgiveness… To the Catholic Church and people of Scotland, I also apologise.”

Cardinal Bigot O’Brian that does not even come close – no retraction of the bigoted hypocritical homophobic crap you have tried to promote and enshrine in the laws of the UK AND IN OUR EDUCATION SYSTEM – as far as I’M concerned, apology NOT accepted.
    I was personally insulted and denigrated on public radio some years ago by a catholic bishop in the same manner as done by O’Brian in recent months – I have never received an apology from the man.
    All these hypocrites need to be outed now.

Middlesbrough

1. Well said, Renovato. We really need to capitalise on this monstrous hypocrisy. We need to raise holy hell about it. Let the heteros of this country say, “Oh, my, yes, he really did upset the gays, didn’t he!

We need to resurrect every vile thing he said about us and list them publicly in every newspaper, so that the man really experiences total shame. He deserves it. He hurt us while he was ONE OF US.

21. I hear that he’s now fled the country. Wonder why? Also, let’s see what the police have to say about this as it is a criminal matter. Or will it be the usual that if you’re a catholic priest you can get away with anything. Get him inside Barlinnie prison and stick him on the sex offenders register. And if the if the Catholic Church keeps him on in any capacity after this, then they are all as guilty as he is.

1. Really? He’s fled the country? That exactly what was believe in Ireland in 2011 when Bishop John Magee was exposed for much the same thing. He was believe to have fled to the USA. However, in the end he was located at a remote Irish cottage, living on a stipidend provided by the Catholic church. This one is probably somewhere in the Outer Fucking Hebrides by now!

1. Let’s hope he’s fled to Nigeria or Unganda

2. More likely he’s safely inside the Vatican….

22. Why was he trying it on with young Priests?

Why didn’t he just show more restraint by going home and Bashing the Bishop instead?

1. ‘Cause he’s no different to you and me, David. He’s gay and he craves the touch of human skin, warmth, tenderness.

Roughly 75% of “celibate” clergy are gay, and if they weren’t made deeply ashamed of it, they would be openly living with a person of the same sex.

Let’s hope this admission, leads to masses of resignations from the Catholic church, with lots of Catholic priests realising that they can’t hide behind celibacy anymore, and that in fact they don’t need to!

1. To even consider that bigoted man is ‘gay’ is enough to make me turn straight.

It’s an uncomfortable consideration to entertain that many of the most zealous homophobes are in fact repressed homosexuals.

What’s also sickening is how the Daily Mail are suggesting that he was outed from the Church (not the papal closet) by a ‘gay mafia’ or ‘dark forces’.

Somehow the sins of this evil man and the institualised homophobia is this toxic and outdated institution are all the fault of . . . gays.

23. dorset bob 3 Mar 2013, 7:24pm

Never mind his apology for his standards falling below those expected of a priest,bishop or cardinal. I would say that they are below standards expected of a human .

24. Kerry Hollowell 3 Mar 2013, 7:25pm

what a fooking k*nt

25. Brett Gibson 3 Mar 2013, 7:32pm

Quelle surprise!! Calling homosexuals worse than shit. You dirty DIRTY old man. #Religionatitsbestagain

26. I think some people here are providing forgiveness far too easily.

This man surely now has an opportunity to do something good. He could start by publicly retracting all the vile statements he made in the past, and apologising unreservedly for them.

He could go onto admit that sexuality is not a choice, and that the views of the church are misguided. He can top that off with the fact that his crime was not actions of a homosexual nature, but actions of an inappropriate nature (non consenting sexual advances).

If he can bring himself to do those things, I’d forgive him.

But I’m not going to hold my breath…

1. Forgiveness does not mean we will be having him over for tea and scones on Sunday or go for a coffee; in this sense, it means we have compassion for his insanity, internal turmoil and mental suffering he will have to negoiate through, and lets not forget his shame. No one sane could do what he did and not suffer and feel the pain of it, unless he is a psycohpath.

1. spookiewon 3 Mar 2013, 8:59pm

Indeed, but neither should forgiveness be given before a sincere understanding that one is wrong occurs. The wording of his “apology” makes it clear he doesn’t understand what part of what he did was wrong. I can be compassionate without forgiving him and the idea that you must forgive wrongdoing in order to feel compassion for someone is absurd. I’m happy to forgive him if/when he expresses regret for his actual wrongs, and civil punishment for the laws he’s broken.

2. Better yet he could kill himself.

1. A shameful thing to say.

1. casparthegood 4 Mar 2013, 9:26am

Directly or indirectly this man and his so called church have caused the deaths of many gay people. That needs to be borne in mind when considering Hdtex’ statement . The church are fond of preaching an eye for an eye after all

27. spookiewon 3 Mar 2013, 7:50pm

Let me get this straight. The cardinal and his church condemn honest and out gay people and contend that they should have to live under the rules of the church, denying them civil marriage even when they don’t belong to the church because it’s a “sin” (and sin is a religious concept that is only tangentially related to right and wrong) to engage in consensual sexual relationships with people of the same gender, but we should “forgive” him for engaging and attempting to engage in NONconsensual sexual behavior with people of the same gender. (Nonconsensual sexual behavior, BTW, is called RAPE.) Sorry, Padre, no can do. MAYBE if you accepted pprosecution in a civil court for the CRIMES you committed and served appropriate sentences for them I could forgive you, but not such that I’d feel you didn’t need to serve those sentences.

1. How delightfully rationally well-expressed, spookiewon! I completely concur!

1. spookiewon 3 Mar 2013, 8:44pm

Thank you. I’ve noted that religious people, when caught committing “sins,” ALWAYS beg for forgiveness that they were unwilling to give the people whose behavior they had condemned before being found out. The unspoken assertion is that they are good people (because the religious always assume that religious = good) who made a mistake, but those people they condemned were not good people, despite the fact that those others seldom committed a “sin” as severe as the one the religious person did, and didn’t compound the “sin” by committing the further “sin” of lying about it. Their apologies seem to serve as an effort to mitigate any punishment they might get. I find this unacceptable, since they don’t ever advocate mercy before they are found out. I’m more than willing to forgive ANY wrongdoing but that should not mean that the forgiven person escapes the consequences and it should NEVER mean that society is unprotected.

28. On the other hand.. 3 Mar 2013, 7:55pm

Zapped by God for hating gays.

1. No, not zapped by a non-existent god at all, but zapped instead by five brave and mortal men whom this “holy man” fingered when he shouldn’t have!

1. On the other hand 3 Mar 2013, 11:34pm

It’s irony sweetie.

29. The only people who have a problem with gay people are people in the closet and their partners

30. Kelvin Beer-Jones 3 Mar 2013, 8:31pm

Now it is time to hold out a hand of love to him and ask him to help change perceptions in the Catholic church so that no more will priests have to lie about and try to suppress their God given sexuality.

1. The only hand’s he’d ever be getting from me, Kelvin is two of them around his wretched lying neck and I squeezing hard.

2. ”god given sexuality” – sexuality you backward fool is evolved – GOD Does NOT Exist – religion is just a way of keeping the masses in their place – Evolve!

1. Staircase2 4 Mar 2013, 3:05pm

Since you can’t actually prove that you’re just attention seeking the argument away from what it actually SHOULD be about which is an evil ungodly old hypocrite using his religious power to dominate and manipulate others.

That has NOTHING to do with ‘God’, and EVERYTHING to do with RELIGION (the two are not one and the same, even conceptually, let alone spiritually and philosophically)

Religion has hijacked the notion of Spirituality in order to control society and gain power, wealth and influence.

3. The Catholic Church has never been about love or forgiveness and doesn’t know and never knew the meaning of the word “love”, the only words they know are “power”, “money”, “fear” and “greed”. They have never learned, studied or practiced anything from Jesus, but only from Julius Caesar and, at best, from Constantine, and in fact some of them like Rodrigo Borgia, Pope Alexander VI, wouldn’t probably even deny that and would probably even admit they admired more the Roman emperors than Jesus.

31. At least he’ll be eligible for another Stonewall Award next year:

Hypocrite of the year.

I don’t think anyone on the planet could match him for hypocrisy.

He personifies the Catholic Church’s hierarchy:

Power-obsessed, deviant, dishonest, lying bullies.

How many good people has O Brien sent to an early grave?

One of the priests who came out against him has said the only response he’s had from the Vatican was an email offering counseling.

Meanwhile O Brien has jetted off his hols as well as Benedict.

Lying scum the lot of them.

1. ‘I don’t think anyone on the planet could match him for hypocrisy’.

Actually we are spoiled for choice for candidates. In the past half decade or so a sizable list of controversially anti-gay fundamentalists have been exposed as having career-ruinous skeletons in their closets… or in cases like this found to be hiding in them. Small wonder Christianity is failing.

32. Well, I’ve looked…and looked…and looked again…and still no sign amongst all the comments here of any contribution from ‘Ray’, who told us all with such conviction when this story broke that it was all ‘lies’ being spread by ‘the gay nazis’ which he was trying to label us as……Strange that…. I do hope he’s not unwell…:-)….

1. Robert in S. Kensington 3 Mar 2013, 10:05pm

Right, MarkN. Ray is a coward, most bigots are. They can’t take the truth when it stares them in the face. He’s another closet case in denial, mark my words.

I also not the absence of Ann Widdecombe coming to his defence and of course, nothing from the hiearchy south of the border. I wonder why? Guilt by association perhaps? Bloody hypocrites all of them.

2. Oh yes, dear old Ray! His silence is deafening.

33. If the Catholic Church embraced the reality that it is a human institution instead of perpetuating the illusion that it is perfect then the world would be a lot more forgiving of how Christianity has gravely missed the mark throughout history. Alleviating the suffering of human beings is more important than the damage to something false like reputation. Live your truth instead of just speaking it. Here you have a man with great authority who took a vow of celibacy and condemned same-sex marriage and relationships but who acted on his own same-sex attractions. It is apparent that these condemnations come from fear of his own sexuality instead of the love of God. Authenticity is all I’m praying for.

1. Jean-Paul 3 Mar 2013, 9:35pm

Isn’t that what liberation theology is all … human reality?

And didn’t ben16 condemn liberation theology?

1. I guess I’m a liberation theologian then

34. Har Davids 3 Mar 2013, 9:40pm

If anyone could have prayed the gay away it’s this man. Even the Vatican will now have to admit that some people are gay, maybe they’ll get over it.

35. William Nash 3 Mar 2013, 9:45pm

Every time I think my early life was a struggle having been raised as a mormon, the Roman Catholic Church comes along and reminds me how much worse so many others have been subjugated to fear, hate, and self-loathing.

1. Yep – and ALL triggered by self-loathing. “Show me a homophobe – I’ll show you a closet case”

36. When he retracts each and every bigoted homophobic statement one by one And then actively campaigns for gays to be treated equally within the RC cult (and that includes the sacrament of holy matrimony) then I’ll think about forgiving him – no 10 “hail Mary’s” for your penance Keith

37. There is always a bitter sense of irony when the biggest bigots turn out to be what they despise.

What a tragic trapped life this man must have lead.

1. casparthegood 3 Mar 2013, 10:55pm

No one forced him to lie,cheat and rabble-rouse it was his own personal vanity and greed that screwed him over. Nothing tragic about that at all from where I am dancing

2. In psychology, this is ‘projection’ – vent your inner-hatred outwardly onto those who most reflect your true self. Homophobia is simply the explosive outward result of suppressing your own same-sex attractions. This is what happens when a society, highly influenced by religion, descides that a particular human behaviour is unnaceptable (ie: church & homosexuality). It is false ‘conditioning’ of our given human nature and it drives people nutty …..

38. Robert in S. Kensington 3 Mar 2013, 10:08pm

He has reaped what he has sewn. I have no compassion for this man. Not even his God could save him from this. When you consider all of the pain and suffering he’s called on gay people over the years. He knew he was gay all along but chose to hide it by becoming a priest. How he slept at night I can’t imagine and with a clear conscience?Sick!

1. He slept with young men apparently!! I agree he is a sick individual.

39. Jan Bridget 3 Mar 2013, 10:29pm

Wouldn’t it be good if we had an in-depth article about internalised homophobia or, better still, a television programme linking this with religious homophobia and how it is responsible for so many young (and older) LGBT’s killing themselves, depression, sel-harm, substance misuse amongst LGBTs, parental rejection, etc.

40. Hmm…. I think this is ENTIRELY suitable comment.

41. One can’t deny a relish in seeing people like this getting their comeuppance (almost enough to have me believe in karma), although of course if victims of abuse, albeit mild, were involved it is best to keep commentary serious.
    I notice that the Christian Institute, who clearly considered this man something of a sage throughout 2012, have ignored this story so far. Can’t defend the indefensible? And does Andrea Williams (Christian Concern/ Christian Legal Centre) still think that O’Brien is “a courageous Christian leader who has stood for the truth” – Nov 2012?

42. I wonder why Alex Salmond is saddened by Cardinal Keith O’Brien’s resignation. I remember him criticizing Stonewall for naming the cardinal the bigot of the year. He’s probably wishing he kept his big mouth shut.

Here’s another pejorative title Mr Samond (Hypocrite) and yes it has enhance our cause. So thank you Cardinal Obrian for your parting gift, which will hopefully open peoples eyes to the real grotesque monsters creeping around.

Thank You, Good night and Good Bye.

43. ““To those I have offended, I apologise and ask forgiveness…”

I’m assuming it doesn’t mean us in this statement!!!

I also note that no high ranking Catholic bishop/archbishop has come out with any comments on this yet.

They all have to deal with the issue as to why they have been so critical of gays and gay marriage when the most senior of them has been bonking priests half his age. They and the media shouldn’t brush this hyprocisy under the carpet and we need an apology from them. It’s us they have been offending for hundreds of yrs. I’m not forgiving nothing since the apology is obviously to those people who like himself are biggotted, homophobic liars. He doesn’t give a damn about those he has abused, he only cares what he has done to the reputation of the Catholic church.

44. Stonewall especially might be forgiven for relishing these developments, given the flack they faced for naming O’Brien ‘Bigot of the Year’…They might do worse than create a new award in his honour, ‘The Cardinal Keith O’Brien Award for Hypocrisy’, to be bestowed on suitable recipients for years to come….It would be a shame if the ex-Cardinal were indeed allowed to slink into quiet retirement, his name forgotten, as he seems to plan….

1. Cardinal Fang 3 Mar 2013, 11:42pm

Yes, where is that leader of the Scottish Tories now? I think she should withdraw her comments at the Stonewall Do.

45. As others have said, there’s a stunning silence from the loudmouths in the Roman Catholic Church of Scotland who have had an opinion on everything since the dawn of time. A small number came out to say that the allegations were preposterous but it was telling how many were absent.

They know full well what each other is/has been up to.

When Keith O’Brien waded in to the English and Welsh debate he was splashed over every newspaper. Those of us in Scotland had had it for an entire year before. Every week he would be given airtime while our BBC and ITV syndicates showed in the background clips from the 90s of the most stereotypical-looking LGB couples possible.

Having come in to contact with him I can’t give him my forgiveness, but I can’t hate him because its pointless and won’t undo damage.

There are going to be some gobsmacked grannies tonight after shouting ‘lies’ at the news crews outside of his cathedral this time last week. Terrible how deluded the flock can be.

1. Yes, of course, the gobsmacked grannies! I heard a few of them on LBC complaining of a Gay smear campaign. I’m having a good old gloat now and enjoying every bit of it.

46. Robert (Kettering) 4 Mar 2013, 12:26am

When will this self loathing, vile, bigotted hypocrite apologies to the Gay Community for his disgusting attacks he made during the Equal Marriage debate?

One good thing is that the RC Church and its clergy have lost ALL credibility when it comes to the LGBT community. They deserve all they get in my books.

What comes around goes around Archbigot Keith and don’t you forget it!

47. The Kitty Channel 4 Mar 2013, 12:28am

One interesting benefit of this sorry case is that it brings people out in their true colours. I have in mind a Catholic journalist by the name of Peter Jennings (telephone interview on BBC 24 this afternoon) whose line was (1) the younger men are to be blamed for not having come forward before; (2) what’s the problem, we’re all sinners who fall short of the high standards of the Gospel, why should we single one man out? With friends like that, what Cardinal needs enemies?

1. Chester66 4 Mar 2013, 8:34am

It’s predictable that some blame the victims, that says more about the person doing the blaming though
      He’s getting what he deserves after being such a hateful loony

48. He has ONLY admitted that his “sexual conduct has fallen below the standards expected”. He has ONLY apologised to the Catholic Church, the people of Scotland and to “those I have offended”.

That isn’t adequate. Firstly he needs to apologise for the “inappropriate behaviour” to the priests who’ve complained about him. Secondly, he needs to apologise for his inappropriate behaviour towards the UK LGBT community, making it clear that he’s apologising to LGBTs rather than “those I have offended”.

As it is, his statement is too little, too late.

49. The bigger they come the harder the fall – and this man has had a very hard landing indeed.

Ironic its happened whilst he was –
    a) at his peak of ranting against gay people
    b) about to go and vote in the conclave
    c) just three weeks from retirement makes it the hardest fall from grace possible.

And where does this leave Scottish Catholic opposition to equal marriage? In tatters, that’s where…..

Talk about just deserts!

1. I doubt that it will have any effect on the Scottish Catholic Church’s opposition to equal marriage. It does make its opposition even more ridiculous, but being ridiculous doesn’t appear to change the views of Christians (or any religion) – they just keep on repeating the same old messages like a broken record.

50. Ooohh, the schadenfreude !!! It’s delightful !!! I hope it lasts long.

51. Stonewall should give him the Bigot of the Year Award once again.

If that happened we should expect the bigot appeasers Alex Salmond and the Scottish Tory leader to keep silent this time.

Actually, we shouldn’t expect Salmond and the Scottish Tory leader to stay silent. They should apologise for criticising Stonewall in naming O’Brien Bigot of the Year.

52. I almost feel sorry for the old bigot… that kind of repression has to be so painful to live with all your life.

53. If the allegations had been made by children I am sure they would continue to denied.

Why has this taken so long to surface?

1. I would say loyalty to the church, they are no realising that the same church they were loyal to would stab them in the back.

54. He begs for fogiveness and yet his statement on the scottish church website adds in small letters that this will be his only statement and that he is now be out of the country and will not make any further statement.

What an utter coward he is and what utter cowards the whole catholic church is.

Getting him out of the country quick away from the media and still have questions to be answered is just plain chicken!

55. A loser and the BIGGEST HYPOCRITE!

56. Thank You Cardinal O’brien for making
    marriage equality in Britain a certainty now.

57. All Equal (Pliny) 4 Mar 2013, 8:29am

what a wonderful hypocrite !!! Really this guy had the guts to come forward with so many homophobic comments . He should have been outed before !!!

58. What a horrible cowardly man. You’ve wasted your life propping up an utterly vile institution and done all you can to legitimate hatred. For that, you need to fully atone. An apology gets you nowhere near. Think hard about the misery you’ve caused and the lives you’ve blighted as you live out your lonely old age. Think also of the joy that you haven’t known; of the open and honest love that you could have experienced; and of a rich community that you could have been part of. You were to some extent a victim of circumstance and your formative years took place in harsher times but you made choices and all you’ve done is defend them and continue to vilify publicly those who meant you no harm. Tell me: what is in your head; and what lurks in your soul, other than putrescence? Have a nice day.

59. A broken and deeply conflicted man, seeking refuge in an institution which is a defence against so many aspects of being human – sexuality being one of them. He is both a perpetrator of hate, and also a victim of his own self-hate.

1. Staircase2 4 Mar 2013, 3:11pm

Well said

60. Quote: Robert Pigott, Religious affairs correspondent, BBC News: “Whatever else it tells us, the cardinal’s statement does sit uneasily with his years of outspoken denunciation of homosexual relationships.”
    This whole thing confirms my belief: “Show me a homophobe; I’ll show you a closet case”.

1. What other explanation is there for someone obsessing over the personal lives of others? The “religious” explanation won’t do as there are numerous examples of the bible being ignored on other issues and no one kicking up a fuss.

2. Sca't community members club 4 Mar 2013, 1:59pm

Yes. Hypocrisy and closet hiding is rampant in the homo-deviant community.

61. So the cardinal is a homode-viant and a catholic.How horrible on both counts.

1. Well anyone who obsesses over the personal lives of others is likely to be a closet case. What’s “horrible” is that they are unable to face up to reality and they try to impose upon other to relieve the tension. Lots of ex closet cases will confirm this.

1. Sca't community member 4 Mar 2013, 1:58pm

Is this an admission that many in the homo-deviant community hide their sexual preferences and pretend to be the same as the majority when they are not. Why are so many homosexuals self loathing hypocrites?

1. You ask why “so many homosexuals” are “self-loathing hypocrites”. Well, the answer is very simple and plain to observe. They have been TAUGHT to loathe themselves by hateful, spiteful, bigots and homophobes.

1. Jean-Paul 5 Mar 2013, 5:18am

Taught and brainwashed for centuries.

2. You’ll know the answer to that one, Keith sweetie.

62. Poop tunnel deviant-s 4 Mar 2013, 10:55am

Just realized that Stonewall’s bigot of the year award went to a homosexual.
    Figures!

1. Homobigots 4 Mar 2013, 1:53pm

4 people so far don’t like facts. Anyone else want to thumb down a factually accurate? post?

63. CH Brighton 4 Mar 2013, 11:21am

I just checked the websites of the catholic herald, anglican mainstream, christian concern and the christian institute. The only one that has any reference to the Kevin O’Brien admission is the catholic herald and even that is buried deep and is a link to the BBC news. On the other hand, all these sites continue their homophobic rants. Seems like they don’t know what to do or say now one of their own has put a bomb under their case.

1. Dave North 4 Mar 2013, 11:26am

I can’t wait to see the Terrographs, catholic apologist Christine Odone’s hand wringing reaction.

Even more so, the Widdebeast has been VERY silent too.

No doubt they will say it was the “gay mafias” means of toppling the dirty old bugger.

64. CH Brighton 4 Mar 2013, 11:24am

I have just checked the websites of the catholic herald, anglican mainstream, christian concern and the christian institute. Only the catholic herald has an reference to the keith o’brien admissions that are all over the news, and even that is a link to the BBC; no comment of their own. Meanwhile, all these sites continue their homophobic ranting. Seems like they don’t know what to do or say now that one of their own has put a bomb under their case against gay equality.

65. I think it’s telling that what astonishes me is that he’s actually admitted it.

66. Sca't community members club 4 Mar 2013, 2:03pm

allancsn 20 hours ago Report
    Thumb up Thumb down +88

My reply…
    If he is part of the LGBT community (he was accused of improper sexual conduct toward same sex) then it would be the LGBT apologizing to itself which is nonsense.

1. Gosh, you really can’t keep away can you, Keith you old brown-nose!

67. By focusing on O’Brien’s hypocrisy, we are accomplishing two things:

We are taking part in the grossly disproportionate penalties suffered by gay men in the Church. Pedophiles aren’t even chucked out with such speed, and when is the last time a bishop resigned for sexual misconduct with a woman?

We are encouraging the idea that the whole pedophile scandal was somehow related to “the Lavender Mafia” within the Church.

68. The RC Church hasn’t lost moral authority because one of its gay senior leaders has effectively been outed. Moral authority would come from treating all people with dignity and respect instead of preaching hatred and lies against one group of people, much as they against Jewish people in the past, and now against gay people. I feel sorry for anyone who was surprised or shocked this.