Richard Wilson: Magazine gay list ‘blatantly outed’ me, but I don’t mind people knowing I’m gay

1. I don’t believe it! Well somebody had to say it!!

1. I suspected many more people will say it too. I think Richard is a great role model for anyone gay or straight. So is his character Victor too.

2. Are you gay if you have never had a relationship with another man?

In the words of Allen Bennet isn’t that a bit like asking a man dying of thirst in the desert if they prefer Malvern or Perrier water?

1. You’re gay if you’re primarily attracted to members of the same sex. Whether or not you’ve had a relationship has nothing to do with it. Plenty of people, gay and straight, don’t have relationships for one reason or another.

2. Richard has said that he isn’t in a relationship at the moment and hasn’t had any serious relationships with men before. That doesn’t mean he hasn’t had sex with other men.

Anyway, even if he had been celibate all his life, it doesn’t make him any less gay. There are people who desire to have sexual experiences and long-term relationships but it just doesn’t happen. It doesn’t take away their sexuality.

3. Dan Filson 2 Mar 2013, 10:24pm

What an utterly stupid question. Do you know you are straight if you have never had a relationship with someone of the opposite sex? Yes of course. You might not enjoy the sex but that’s a different issue.

4. Spanner1960 3 Mar 2013, 6:28pm

Being gay is between the ears, not the legs.

3. I just always assumed Richard is gay and that he was ‘out’ as well. How odd that the person who compiled the list seemed to simply make the same (correct) assumption.

1. i heard somewhere ages ago that he was gay!

4. He’s an adorable and very talented man and I’m pleased he wasn’t hurt by the article.
    I don’t think we have any right to question the sex life of a 76 year old gentleman, it’s a gross intrusion into his privacy.
    I’m delighted he’s on our side and wish him all the best.

5. Now everyone knows he is gay (an open secret in theatrical circles) he may well get plenty of interest and offers :D

1. Let’s hope his diary now fills up and men start queuing to date him! :-)

1. Suddenly Last Bummer 3 Mar 2013, 2:51pm

Yes, more than likely the type that require payment though.

6. Hmmm. It’s getting to be the case that if you’re gay, then the heteros are going to insist on publicly proclaiming it, regardless of whether you want it proclaimed and even if they know you don’t want it proclaimed. It’s an interesting ethical question: have heteros the right to out people whom they know to be gay, even if they don’t out them in a discriminatory or pejorative manner? Discuss.

1. They’re outing people who aren’t bigots, yet don’t appear to be outing the people that should be outed, i.e. the homophobic clerics, the homophobic politicians, etc. etc. etc. They need to ‘out’ the Pope (well, ex-Pope now I suppose!) if the rumours about him and “Gorgeous George” are true and some of those Tory back-benchers that voted against marriage equality (or as someone else on PinkNews described it: ‘gender-neutral marriage’).

2. Outing someone without first asking them if it is okay to do so may always be a bit iffy.

7. GulliverUK 2 Mar 2013, 9:08pm

I thought everybody knew this already.

PN, 2008, “Mr Wilson, who is gay, …” !

It wasn’t news to me, although I did only find out about 2 years ago whilst reading some other articles.

So well done PinkNews for your scoop — back in 2008 ! :D

1. Marcwebbo3 2 Mar 2013, 9:22pm

This ‘news’ can go further back than 2008…he did an interview with the Daily Record in the very early noughties which the reporter said to him “So we can say that you are gay then?”…to which Richard said “No you most certainly cannot!”….so not quite so open then….nevertheless a great actor who I enjoyed in One Foot…Doctor Who and Merlin….Im sure this wont damage him in any way and why should it…

1. By way of an aside on the Merlin series.

It was intended for a family audience and began with good intentions – namely that Merlin was different and had a secret he dare not reveal to anyone else. The allegorical nature of the writing soon fizzled out as programme makers decided that more heteronomativity was needed to promote sales abroad and increase viewing figures. As time went by, hints that Merlin might be in love with Arthur diminished, and Merlin became attracted to women.

8. how can you out someone who is already out?
    I have known for many years that he is gay, and I am not connected in any way with the entertainment business.
    It was just something I always knew and presumed others did too, it was harldly a top secret thing.

9. It seems that quite a few were already aware that he’s gay. Why then is he claiming that Time Out gave him the “most blatant outing”? (*confused*)

10. Dan Filson 2 Mar 2013, 10:29pm

For those with no knowledge of history, when Richard Wilson was 27 a sexual act with another man still carried a person sentence of up to 2 years, this being before the Sexual Offences Act 1967. A bit of an inhibitor on forming relationships even though many chose to overlook the law.

1. GulliverUK 2 Mar 2013, 10:39pm

True. But I had sex lots of times before I was 16, when the age of consent was 21, and I didn’t care. If the law is an arse – as has now been proved – ignore it. On the whole Parliament makes some pretty good laws, but for a long time it was very homophobic and ignorant and made very bad laws against the human rights of people who are gay. It was always right to ignore those bad laws.

1. Spanner1960 3 Mar 2013, 6:35pm

I agree with you in principle, but who are you to decide what is a “bad” law or a “good” one. We elect our government to define our laws, and we can’t go around cherry-picking what rules we decide to abide by, otherwise we would be in total anarchy.

This is the reason why I said a while back that Alan Turing should not be pardoned – he broke the law at the time, he knew what he was doing but took the risk and got caught. If you disagree with a law, get it changed; that is why we live in a democracy.

1. If I am correct in guessing from your ID that you were born in 1960, then during the time when you were between 16 and 21 years old, it would have been illegal for you to have sexual relationships with other men, as it also was for me, even though it wasn’t illegal for heterosexuals to have sexual relationships between the age of 16 and 21. From your post I have to assume that you didn’t have any homosexual relationships before you were 21 because of the law at that time. I’m just trying to establish whether or not you’re being hypocritical.

You have suggested that everyone has to abide by the law. Would you also believe that if the law had been to sentence gay people with life imprisonment or with the ultimate punishment that still exists in countries today, i.e. execution? As you have suggested that we should all abide by the law, then you must think that it’s fine for gay people to be executed in countries were that’s their law.

2. I don’t wish to speculate why Richard hasn’t had a long-term relationship, but you are correct in raising the fact that pre-1968 it would have been a very different and more difficult time for any gay person. I’ve read that there were a few secretly gay-friendly bars but they were probably in London only. Police proactively sought gay people to prosecute. I guess that ‘coming out’ simply wasn’t an option and therefore meeting other gay people would have been very difficult. Even if a couple were fortunate enough to find each other and fall in love, they would have had to keep their relationship a secret. Outside of London I’m sure it would have been almost impossible to meet anyone.

1. Well, yes and no: a friend of mine had a 40-year-long relationship with a partner that started in the late 1940s – they managed perfectly well. And indeed it’s startling how frank some wartime correspondence was, as has been highlighted recently on PN. People like Britten and Pears also seem to have coped fairly well despite the laws of the time.

As for why Wilson didn’t have a long-term relationship, well, there are many possible reasons, including the most obvious: the ‘right’ person wasn’t there at the ‘right’ time. Contrary to all the current affectations, it really isn’t the end of the world. It’s certainly better than feeling trapped in a long-term relationship because of the pressures of family and convention, as many, many non-gay people have done, and still do.

1. That’s interesting Rehan, about your friend. I just think that it would’ve been incredibly difficult to form a relationship, never mind having a 40yr relationship, outside London and before 1967. Many gay people grow up in small provincial towns and rural areas were homosexuality was totally unacceptable right up until recently and probably still is in some places.

I grew up in a small town and when I realised I was gay I believed I was the only person in the world who felt that way! Many other gays could probably say that they thought exactly the same. In such areas of the country, gay pubs are many miles away and before the internet meeting other gay people would have been difficult. I genuinely believe that there are gay people from small towns and rural areas who’ve accepted their circumstances and given up on the idea of meeting a partner, though the internet has now enabled us to communicate with each other no matter where we live.

1. James, I think it’s possible to overstate how bad things were in the past – they were for lots of people of course, but others seem to have managed remarkably well. You might be interested to read some of these letters, which were delivered during WWII despite going through the censor.

11. Richard’s ‘Victor Meldrew’ reveals the vast array of irritations that one encounters and expresses in middle age. My partner and I often joke to each other that we are having a ‘Victor’ moment.

1. Haha. My partner has often called me “Victor Meldrew” and I hate it!

12. He is a lovely guy. Sat next to him at a Stonewall dinner a few years back and he was charming. It made my night when a couple of people thought I was his boyfriend!

13. Craig Nelson 3 Mar 2013, 10:06am

Ages ago he did an interview with GT with him on the cover. If not coming out per se he certainly didn’t deny anything either – a very gentle way of coming out, he’s never avoided gay causes.

14. He was and probably still does attend Mr Gay UK every year. Remember a few years ago when in was shown live on channel 5 when it was held in Leeds and he was one of the main guests. My sister and some friends went one year and he was their and I watching to see if I could see my sister and chatting with the host and Jane McDonald and he was certainly out then. Maybe he just enjoys coming out?

1. May I just appologise if my post does not makes sense to people. Had a rough day with my nephew, now I have a banging head ache. I know what I want too type but I end up missing words out as I am typing so fast!

Sorry Folks (embarrased)…..

15. One Foot in the Grave is my very favourite comedy series and I have seen each episode many times.
    Richard, I mean it as a compliment when I say that to me you will always be the man who brought the brilliant comic creation that is Victor Meldrew to life.

16. When did he decide he was gay?He says he hasn’t had a relationship since.Was it when he decided to put it somewhere he shouldn’t.And she freeked him off.

17. I’ve always known he was gay without thinking about it. When I read here that he was gay, I thought, “yes, I know”. I think it is good that people come out of the closet because the act of hiding provokes some people and they want so badly to out (hurt) the ones that are in hiding. Once out of the closet, nobody cares that someone is gay. Richard is one of the funniest actors ever and I love him.