Australia: Hundreds of thousands expected for biggest Sydney Mardi Gras so far

1. Umeshan Nandakumar 2 Mar 2013, 3:30am

Its great to have such a tolerent society in Australia. I love living in Sydney and being myself!

1. de Villiers 4 Mar 2013, 5:13pm

Yes – but why is it called mardi gras when it is held at the weekend and, in any event, not on a Tuesday?

2. radical53 2 Mar 2013, 3:31am

If will be great if it would STOP raining. It is so wet and miserable day.

1. Did last year as well and whilst I love the community feel but doesn’t it just go on and on and on and on.

3. Please do not be fooled by the Sydney Mardi Gras!!!!

Australia is a racist, homophobic, intolerant, bigoted back-ward nation – that still legally discriminates and still has human rights abuses against both Aboriginals and gays!

The National Highways are dangerous (e.g. Pacific Highway or the “Goat Track”) and Australia has VERY SLOW broadband speeds that are 20 years behind other countries!

Go to New Zealand, I beg you – they will soon have same sex marriage and spend your pink dollars and money there!

Australia is a horrible place full of national disasters and deadly animals on a grand scale!

The only things that work in Australia are the economy, banks, mining and the powerful and influential Christian Lobby telling both Julia Gillard and Tony Abbott what to do in the Hung Parliament and Government!

Australia is just another backwater of Texas

1. That There Other David 2 Mar 2013, 11:04am

Australia is a very big place. There’s a world of difference between the attitudes you encounter in Sydney or the other big cities to the backwaters of Queensland.

I marched in the 2002 Mardi Gras parade carrying a big England flag.

I got boo’ed :D

1. ColinJones 2 Mar 2013, 11:26am

Perhaps it was the England flag?

1. That There Other David 2 Mar 2013, 3:09pm

LOL. I didn’t think it was my outfit :D

I thought it strange though. The crowd cheered groups from all over the world…..except me and my England flag. And this was before Johnny Wilkinson too.

1. ColinJones 2 Mar 2013, 3:26pm

Perhaps they didn’t recognize a St George’s cross and were confused. Perhaps you should have used a Union Jack instead, everybody knows that.

2. I’d still rather go to Australia. No offense to New Zealand, but Australia has hotter bogans and looser morals.

1. Have you ever been to NZ or are you just assuming?

3. lol are u serious?
      youre one hell of a nut case queen.
      no one would rather go to new zealand, in fact the immigration from NZ to australia is increasing every year because no one, not even the locals, want to stay in that cold, boring hole..

1. That socalled ‘cold boring hole’ will soon have marriage equality and is a beautiful country. It will be years before Australia has same-sex marriage or even national civil unions and I think many same-sex couples will consider moving from Oz to NZ. Not all same-sex couples are interested in a ‘scene’ and Wellington is a wonderful and vibrant city.

1. I am glad someone finally agree with me.

Australia is full of drunken binge drinking young racist, xenophobic and homophobic christians and muslims yobbos and bogans who hoon around the whole of Sydney and well that’s not the half of it, because Sydney crime rate is out of control, gun, violence and stabbings are at record levels and also outlaw motorcycle or “bikie gangs” are controlling the streets in record numbers with drugs and money that fund the heart of all the proceeds of crime!

Sydney progressive – my arse it is. Just like saying America is the land of the free!

It is anything but!

1. Paul, I could not have put it better myself! Everything you said is absolutely correct and I’ve lived in Sydney all my life. For the past 30 years life here has been going down the sink hole. And it’s getting deeper!

4. I would not go to Sydney Mardi Gras again if you paid me.

While watching the parade a few years ago, there were local rednecks taking the p**s out the parade.

This coupled with the fact the country has an awful track record on equality matters, their economy does not deserve your hard earned cash.

I was recently in Auckland for their first Pride event in 12 years. This was a massive success, the whole city was behind it as was the Central Government. NZ has a far better LGBT history and the funding is already in place for next years Pride event. I would suggest that you go there rather than Sydney