London: Protest planned for trans woman allegedly mocked by police in Soho

1. thelostdot 1 Mar 2013, 5:51pm

Too many people in Britain think they’re enlightened while actually they are plain ignorant. As with the LIbdem peer and Clegg I think it’s about the way business is conducted here with the old boy network even for quite ordinary occupations like policemen. The met. I have to say are easil the worst police force in the country. I remember once asking the way in London, the reply being “why don’t you fxck ofx mate”. really professional.

2. As an now recently retired ex met officer who is TS, and who transitioned while serving. I would be disappointed to say the least if this is an accurate report of what took place. It will be fully investigated by the DPS of that I am sure. What I would also say is that I only ever had the greatest support from management and colleagues during my transition and the Met and the Police Service are far more forward thinking than many realise. Yes some will have negative experiences with some officers and it is those officers that need to be weeded out. But they are few and far between and that is my experience having served for 30 years in the Met

3. This is silly, for police to take someone to the ground means they would have done something to require that amount of force in the first place. If you take what is claimed the police officer said, but instead of the person being a heterosexual man who has been acting drunk and violent and the police officer said ‘You’re not normal! We’ll let you get up in a few minutes but you need to act like a normal human being.’ it doesn’t sound as bad.. and now lets say the quote by the police offer has conveniently been misinterpreted to miss out an additional word of “acting”, what the officer said is reasonable.. “You’re not acting normal! We’ll let you get up in a few minutes but you need to act like a normal human being.”.

I think there is a huge amount missing from this story, and to me, it seems like someone has put in a complaint simply because they were upset police were heavy handed with them which may well have been perfectly justified.

1. theotheronee 1 Mar 2013, 7:50pm

altho if you accept, as we know, that this woman was not ‘a heterosexual man’ then you can be pretty frigin sure that’s not how the comments where meant.

the only thing missing here is why you have chosen to post such a blatant attempt at slander against a victim of police brutality.

1. I am expressing an opinion, I am not making any assertions upon anyone. As I mentioned, my belief (“I think”) there is a huge amount from this story missing, and the comments I have made may or may not be true as its an opinion of thought and not what I know to be fact. As I also mentioned before, it would be silly to think police would randomly throw someone to the ground in a very public area and cause quote “deliberate pain” knowing full well not only will there be people with mobile camera’s but also CCTV watching their every move. All the claims made may well be absolutely correct and if so I think those officers should be dealt with properly, but right now it is also reasonable to say that simply adding in a single word changes the scenario completely, hence the need for a thorough investigation before people instantly knock the police down. But hey, maybe I am being overly optimistic (wishful thinking?) that the police are the good guys, time will tell I guess.

1. theotheronee 2 Mar 2013, 2:25am

the eye witnesses report she was sick.

that’s a big threat isn’t it? vicious stuff that

4. Sister Mary Clarence 1 Mar 2013, 7:05pm

“….. We are here for London, working with you to make our capital safer.”

In view of the circumstances, I’d have let it at ‘the matter is being investigated’.

1. theotheronee 1 Mar 2013, 7:51pm

we need to be protected from transpeople – wigs, vicious things…

5. theotheronee 1 Mar 2013, 8:17pm

another fine example of transphobia from the bobbie on the beat.

brings back so many memories like when i was told that having a knife pulled on me wasn’t worth reporting.

6. Officers threw Jose to the ground? That reminds me of the man who died after being thrown to the ground by a thug in a Met. uniform.

This report is very disturbing. It suggests that a group of police officers behaved like vicious thugs – the type of thugs that should be behind bars. There are going to be “rotten apples” in any police force, but in this case it appears that they were acting together as a gang.

Most police officers are, hopefully, professional and supportive of the LGBT community. However, the thuggish policing in this report must be stamped out and if the details are accurate the Met. have serious questions to answer.

7. Welcome to political correctness gone mad how many ‘phobics’ do people want to create. How about simply prosecuting someone because another human being was assaulted rather then putting a label on them because of their choice of sexual lifestyle. Plain ridiculous.

1. I agree 100 stop this pc mumbo jumbo %

8. I am unable to attend this protest but I am behind you 100% I’m appalled by this story. People think that this kind of thing doesn’t happen anymore, however with technology progressing so is the exposure of wrong doings. They can and will only get away with it for so long. Any person that abuses their power to bully, degrade and harm another is not fit to serve that role.

I send all the best well wishes to this poor woman and I hope she seems comfort in the support she has from many of us that think this behaviour is totally unacceptable. We’re fighting for you.