21 February 2013Ghana’s president attempts to appease anti-gay critics of children’s minister 8 Ghana’s President John Mahama has commented for the first time in the row over the country’s new children’s minister, with critics saying she is too sympathetic on the issue of homosexuality.
21 February 2013Source: Jamaican supermarket attacked by gang of gay men in drag 7 A Jamaican newspaper has claimed that an attack on a supermarket last weekend was carried out by a group of gay men, some of whom were in drag.
21 February 2013Comment: Coming out – Is it always something to celebrate? 10 Paul J Burgess, a co-founder of Pink Triangle Theatre, reflects on the issue of coming out, and questions whether coming out later in life should always be focussed on by the media.
21 February 2013Laura Bush asks to be removed from same-sex marriage advert 10 Former first lady Laura Bush has asked an organisation to remove a video clip of her from an advert promoting same-sex marriage – with the group having failed to ask for her permission.
21 February 2013Anti-gay group leader: Study doesn’t prove bullying is worse for LGBT kids, ‘if there is such a thing’ 19 The leader of an anti-gay conservative group in the US state of Massachusetts has claimed that a recent study on anti-LGBT bullying in schools was "propaganda" and went on to doubt the existence of gay and trans students.
21 February 2013US: Gay porn star arrested for masturbating on equipment at fire station 27 A gay porn actor has been arrested and charged after he was found masturbating on equipment at a fire station in Louisville, Kentucky.
21 February 2013Puerto Rico: 200,000 rally against gay rights 6 A demonstration against equal rights for gay people in Puerto Rico earlier this week saw hundreds of thousands of people turn up.
21 February 2013Comment: ‘Concern’ for the children of gay parents is just 2013′s acceptable face of bigotry 14 Writing for PinkNews, Christopher Gen argues that "concern" for the children of gay parents is just 2013′s acceptable face of bigotry; he argues that this isn’t a ‘gay rights’ issue – it’s a human rights one.
21 February 2013Newspaper story of ‘historic’ lesbian wedding sparks outrage in rural Mississippi 11 A newspaper in Mississippi has defended its decision to run a cover story which featured what it called the first equal marriage in its county.
21 February 2013Frank Ocean: It was ‘glorious’ to win my first BRIT Award 11 Bisexual R&B singer Frank Ocean has described winning his first BRIT Award as “glorious” and says that he felt as though he was skydiving.
21 February 2013American football star Tim Tebow backs out of speech at anti-gay Dallas church 16 New York Jets quarterback Tim Tebow has cancelled a speech he was due to make at a controversial anti-gay church in Dallas.
21 February 2013Russian Foreign Ministry to investigate US lesbian ex-wives who hid relationship to adopt child 8 The Russian Foreign Ministry says it will look into a custody case of a Russian child adopted by a US lesbian former couple who allegedly hid their marriage in order to adopt the child.
21 February 2013Northern Ireland: Bereaved mother appeals for information on death of her gay son 8 The family of a gay rights campaigner, who died in February 2012, have appealed for information about his last movements, particularly regarding a possible homophobic attack on him the morning of his death.
22 February 2013Video: Amazon releases TV advert featuring same-sex married couple 23 Online retailer Amazon, has released a new television advert for its Kindle Paperwhite, which features a gay couple and a straight couple getting along on holiday together.
22 February 2013London: Former Mayor of Barnet Brian Coleman says he once slept with an Arsenal footballer 16 Brian Coleman, the gay former Conservative London Assembly Member and ex-mayor of Barnet, says he previously slept with an unnamed striker for Arsenal Football Club.
22 February 2013London: Met police officers investigated for allegedly mocking transgender woman in Soho arrest + The Directorate of Professional Standards has launched an investigation after Metropolitan Police officers were accused of mocking a transgender woman during an arrest in Soho.
22 February 2013Interview: BBC Radio 1Xtra DJ Adele Roberts shares her Big Brother coming out story + BBC Radio 1Xtra DJ Adele Roberts has been interviewed by PinkNews’ Scott Roberts about a documentary she is presenting this weekend on the subject of coming out.
22 February 2013Former Utah Governor: ‘There is nothing conservative about denying equal marriage to gay people’ 7 A former Republican Governor of Utah has come out in support of equal marriage, urging other Republicans to do the same.
22 February 2013Pope’s spokesman refuses to comment on gay blackmail allegations 56 The Pope's spokesman is refusing to confirm or deny claims of a network of gay prelates operating at its heart, some of whom allegedly were being blackmailed, and who also met a Rome sauna.
22 February 2013Associated Press style guide allows ‘husband’ or ‘wife’ to be used for gay married couples 4 The Associated Press has updated its guidelines on reporting on same-sex married couples, saying that the words "husband" or "wife" were acceptable, despite sending a memo earlier in February saying "generally" those terms should not be used.
Articles from February 2013
- Florida: Lesbian teen expelled from school and charged over same-sex relationship+
- US: LGBT activists protests against removal of gay protections from immigration reform bill+
- Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks: I’ve not come out strongly against same-sex unions, but in Judaism we don’t do them’10
- US: Boy Scouts council to vote on lifting ban on gay members1
- US church: Equal marriage bill is to blame for violent Woolwich murder11
- US Boy Scouts President: Allowing gay boy scouts would be ‘the right decision’1
- Peter Tatchell: ‘I may disagree with David Cameron on austerity, but on equal marriage I salute him’9
- Ukraine: Gay pride rally cancelled by court for fear that it will spark violence+
- Cornwall: Tory deputy chair Sarah Newton defends abstaining in equal marriage Commons vote13
- Sir Gerald Howarth: ‘I should have used ‘militant’ rather than ‘aggressive’ to describe the ‘homosexuality community’39
- US church blames Woolwich suspected terror killing on UK acceptance of gay people46
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur 59
- David Cameron called 'marriage wrecker' and warned of 'long battle' over equal marriage in House of Lords47
- Seven amusing and shocking things we learned during the equal marriage debate7
- Columnist Richard Godwin: Does Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth 'dream that everyone in Soho wants to bum him?' 10
- Sir Gerald Howarth: 'I should have used 'militant' rather than 'aggressive' to describe the 'homosexuality community'39
- US church blames Oklahoma tornado on gay basketball player Jason Collins56
- Lib Dem MP John Pugh criticised for voting against equal marriage bill -- Simon Hughes and Tim Fallon abstained17
- US radio host: Employers should be allowed to discriminate against gays who 'display their lifestyle'46
- Canada lifts lifetime ban on gay men giving blood, but they can only donate if celibate for five years24
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault141
- Government considers watered down same-sex marriage bill to minimise Tory rebellion133
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage'94
- France: Far right activist commits suicide in Notre Dame following legalisation of equal marriage93
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'73
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples68
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has 'f**** things up' with his equal marriage bill66
- David Cameron: Gay teenagers will stand that bit taller following equal marriage vote62
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur59
- Lib Dem Deputy Leader Simon Hughes: 'Marriage should be between one man and one woman'58
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage