Minnesota congressman: homosexuality is an ‘unhealthy sexual addiction’

1. Liam the God 28 Feb 2013, 5:30pm

Does that mean he’s addicted to power and bigotry?

2. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Feb 2013, 5:35pm

Says the expert on sexuality. Who are these many people who were helped to come out of the lifestyle? By his brilliant deduction then he should help serial hetero adulterers come out of their unhealthy sexual addiction. He’s probably one himself.

3. Commanderthor 28 Feb 2013, 5:41pm

Speak for yourself. Idiot.

4. GulliverUK 28 Feb 2013, 5:44pm

epigenetics? Bit beyond the ability of a Republican congressman to understand.

More than enough scientific evidence now to know that there is a serious biological component. Skin pigmentation is nothing more than another diverse genetic component. We all start off female and only when biological differentiation takes place do half the population become male.

Thank god he’s not a science teacher !!! :D

The mind boggles when you consider we have a very rich source of information called The Internet, and yet he must, for some reason, be unable to do a simple search. Probably one of those Republicans who thinks science is evil.

1. Gayseraph 1 Mar 2013, 8:46am

He is also clearly too stupid to have noticed that having the human genome mapped out does not mean that we know the purpose of every part of it.

5. I would expect his “friend” that “helped” many gays was fellow Minnesotan Marcus Bachmann.

6. That There Other David 28 Feb 2013, 5:50pm

Left-handedness can similarly not be traced back to the human genome, yet nobody ever calls that a choice or disputes it as an innate characteristic.

These people are so busy looking for reasons why they shouldn’t just accept us as valid members of society. It all got quite tiresome long ago. There’s no more argument to have with them. Just sweep them and their pathetic blinkered excuse for thinking aside and plough on with progress.

1. GulliverUK 28 Feb 2013, 6:03pm

Handedness develops in the womb and can be clearly distinguished during fetal development. I’m proud to be a lefty – although when I was at school there was actually bigotry around that also ! We were a f—ing nuisance because we have to have ink-pens with nibs slanted the other way :D Strangely I wasn’t fully aware I slanted the other way in more than just my handwriting, but I do remember the attempts by teachers … sorry, ignorant teachers at the time … to repatriate us to right-handedness.

Would teachers be so ignorant and stupid to suggest being left-handed was wrong today?

1. Is there not a greater prevalence of left-handedness in homosexuals – speaking as a gay leftie myself.

1. I know I am!

2. I don’t think so – I can’t think of a single one of my friends who’s properly left-handed (one is ambidextrous).

1. Secretly bi!

2. Who, me? I’m afraid not! (And neither is the ambidextrous one, I assure you!)

3. I can write with both hands at the same time but my left does mirror writing, is there anyone else out there who can do this?

1. Left hand only, but mirror, upside down and upside down mirror.

Freak!

2. Pavlos,
            No, you’re a freak ! :D Seek help, but not from the religious.
            Seriously, I write with my left hand, but right-hand on a vertical surface – because the teacher forced me write with my right hand on a blackboard, and as this is the only time I’ve used my right hand for writing, I have more experience writing with my right-hand, upright, than with my left. So I’m something of a weirdo, because of my teachers. :(

3. Joseph oz 1 Mar 2013, 2:44am

Actually, Pavis… this can be achieved by practice (a lot of practice). I remember showing a group of friends from young gays… many years ago, how to mirror write their signature. Though my hat goes off to you as, I didn’t get past writing my own signature…

4. Dan Filson 28 Feb 2013, 7:53pm

President Obama and, I think, President Putin are both left-handed as is Prince William as am I. The gays are gonna take over the world! (Incidentally a disproportionately high number of recent US Presidents -two of them Republicans! – have been left-handlers, five since WW2. Mmmmm. Food for thought.

5. Based on a quick bedroom survey, I can inform you that mist gay men are right-handed: the left/right combination works so well (think about it).

But curiously a disproportionately high percentage of musicians are lefties.

2. Dan Filson 28 Feb 2013, 7:44pm

Ink pens slanted the other way? Never seen that. For real?

I have now googled and found they do exist but were not heard of in my day (when planes had propellers etc.) and the ink well was always on the right. Yes, children, in my day school desks had inkwells.

1. Oh yes they did have them in your/our day. Osmiroid left-handed nibs. At least in the UK anyway.

2. Peter Robertson 1 Mar 2013, 7:38am

I’ve never understood the problem about left-handed people using ordinary nibs; I’ve never had a problem. Perhaps it was a teacher (many, many moons ago) who didn’t sit next to me when helping me write (as she would with right-handed people), but would sit opposite and get me to mirror what she was doing. Try it, and you’ll see how copying the angle of the pen no longer makes the left-hander form the hooked wrist that so many use.

7. Saying that homosexuality is a sexual addiction is no different than saying heterosexuality is a sexual addiction.

Why do so many bigots assume that being gay is only about sex? It is the bigots who have the obsession about gay sex. It appears that their tiny little minds are so filled with visions of gay sex that there’s no room left for them to believe that our relationships are based on love.

1. “Why do so many bigots assume that being gay is only about sex?”

Because they’re totally obsessed with gay sex themselves – and then they hate themselves for it and hit out at innocent LGBT people. Sad really.

1. Their total obsession with gay sex strongly suggests that they are self-loathing closeted homosexuals themselves. Why else would they be so obsessed about us?! As you say, they hit out at innocent LGBT people and that’s because they’re unable to deal with their own internal conflict. They seriously need psychological therapy. The World Health Organisation should classify homophobia as a mental illness.

2. Probably because it is really only about sex for the self-hating closeted cases and they are uncapable of feeling true love for their partners like we normal LGBT people do.

8. ColinJones 28 Feb 2013, 6:33pm

If it’s an addiction then I’m perfectly happy to be addicted to this particular drug, an overdose would be most welcome in fact.

9. It might have been an ‘unhealthy’ addiction for him, but he should learn that his own experience isn’t necessarily that of everyone else.

Of course, the use of the word “lifestyle” betrays his ignorance immediately.

1. And it may well have been a ‘choice’ for him too – ie he chose not to act on his own gay/bi feelings. I always get very suspicious about anyone who rambles on about being gay being a choice.

10. casparthegood 28 Feb 2013, 7:04pm

It’s the unhealthy interest in our sex-lives, that seems to be addictive for these clowns. Is this really the most important thing in their world ?

11. I knew I was ‘gay’ at 7 – something to do with liking looking at the man next door, loving the feel of sleeping under my grandmothers fur coat and hand cutting crinkle cut chips. So I was a sex addict at seven and have never looked back.
    Some people just don’t like us do they – just say you hate queers and we all know where we stand instead of using idiotic and patronising drivel.

1. Dan Filson 28 Feb 2013, 7:46pm

Hand cutting crinkle cut chips is a sign you’re gay??? The fur coat I can grasp, but ffs surely not how you are chips!

1. Dan Filson 28 Feb 2013, 7:48pm

correction “… how you make chips … “

1. I was brought up in a Scottish mining community – trust me standing on a stool at the drainer to hand cutting crinkle cut chips was gay gay gay.

12. So anyone can choose to be homosexual? He speaks with the conviction that come only come from personal experience and self-examination. I do look forward to him telling us about the ‘urges’ he has been so successfully – perhaps – resisting in himself. I think he would be surprised to find how many people don’t have any such urges, straight and gay……As for his claim that “When we talk about gay marriage, we are not talking about an immutable characteristic, like the colour of your skin” he’s got that wrong too: with effort, money and the right chemicals you can change the colour of your skin (ask Michael Jackson). Sexual orientation is far more refractory….

13. this bigoted, arrogant arse is preaching ignorance founded on no professional intellect – the so called man is a small business owner and insurance agent, not exactly qualified to tell us we have an unhealthy sexual addiction -

14. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Feb 2013, 8:16pm

If he believes homosexuality is a choice, perhaps he should explain why the majority of us don’t choose to try heterosexuality How many heterosexuals does he know who have chosen to try homosexuality?

15. Sadly, being a Republican is a choice and one of the most hideous of addictions!

1. Liam the God 28 Feb 2013, 11:27pm

As someone in the UK once said, “The worst thing you can call a Conservative is a Conservative”.

16. onesecond 1 Mar 2013, 1:38am

Does he have a wife? If so, his wife should listen carefully to what he says. It seems to me that he wants to be straight so bad, but just isn’t.
    I whonder if she would be ok to be a fake.

17. to be ignored

18. “A Republican congressman in Minnesota has said that homosexuality is a choice and a form of “sexual addiction.””

Hee, hee! That only means that there’s something in himself that he’s TERRIFIED of admitting.

And we KNOW!

19. The key element in the modern homophobic fundamentalist narrative is that getting it on with someone of your own sex cannot be valid if it is a choice. The plain implication is that, if you can choose, you must choose according to their diktats or be fair game for harassment and discrimination. A typical authoritarian notion – where experiences come from is more important than their quality or importance. And typical of religious bigots.

20. so the democratic will is to resist gay marriage but some are going to ignore that and use the law to overrule it.. interesting

21. Gay Activist Paul Mitchell 1 Mar 2013, 12:37pm

What a senile old doshbag!

Yawn…

The only thing bigots and haters are a complete waste of space and are only good for is a one way trip to the gas chambers!

22. Jennipher 1 Mar 2013, 2:48pm

If it is a sexual addiction then what is heterosexuals considered.. Healthy sexual addiction? What and whom deems it “unhealthy”? His friend who has helped so many.. His ONE friend that helped so many supress who they are? Such a great thing he is doing bc that is what living in this country is all about.. being fake and making everyone else comfortable and happy that is why we have to walk around covered with clothing head to toe showing only our eyes.. oh wait wrong country.. Meanwhile Mr. Gruenhagan has the freedom to speak his mind bc of the constitutional rights we are actually being denied. I would love to know his research and scientific findings proving his allegations of being a “choice” and “addiction” bc obviously bc of 1800s narrow minded thinking people such as himself dont you think if it were a choice the easier choice would to be straight.. There cannot be that many rebels in the world to choose the most difficult and sometimes life threatening road. Equality for all..

23. His a redneck