Legal challenge by Christian group against Boris Johnson’s decision to ban ‘ex-gay’ bus ads begins at High Court

1. ““There’s probably no God. Now stop worrying. And enjoy your life.”

Is correct – it’s also good advice. Don’t worry, be happy.

“You are evil and can be cured of your nasty homosexual feelings”

Is incorrect, dangerous and harmful.

Why are we not being utilitarian about this? Who cares whose rights are being trampled on, it’s beneficial.

1. The Dawkins ad is one about belief, like all the “Jesus loves you” ones.

This one is in a different category altogether. More akin to “take this pill and you will be cured of “.

Big difference.

2. The irony is that the ads looked so like the Stonewall ones and the message so strange and convoluted for ordinary straight folk, that if they had run, most people would have thought they were more Stonewall ads.

1. I had a similar thought. People would recognise the colour and font and then think “Ah, that gay advert” without thinking more about it.

Not to say that’s a positive or negative viewpoint of the advert but most will just carry on with their normal day to day business without paying much attention as the adverts have been around a while now.

3. Banning those ads was the best thing Boris has ever done. This so-called “therapy” is evil and destructive and it must be stopped altogether. Advertising it is definitely a really bad idea. Unless it came with a health warning – “EXTREMELY LIKELY TO RUIN YOUR LIFE, DESTROY YOUR SELF-ESTEEM, AND MAKE YOU DEPRESSED AND TRAUMATISED”.
    Freedom of speech does not allow you to make fraudulent claims, such as that this so-called “therapy” actually helps anyone. The only reason people want not to be gay is because bigoted evangelical fundamentalist Christians tell them that Jesus doesn’t like teh gayz. So claiming that would-be ex-gays are a group in their own right is downright fraudulent as well. It has been shown over and over again that the so-called “gay cure” harms people and makes them deeply unhappy. It must not be advertised.

4. Banning those “ex-gay” ads was the best thing Boris has ever done. This so-called therapy is evil and destructive and it must be stopped altogether. Advertising it is definitely a really bad idea. Unless it came with a health warning – “EXTREMELY LIKELY TO RUIN YOUR LIFE, DESTROY YOUR SELF-ESTEEM, AND MAKE YOU DEPRESSED AND TRAUMATISED”

5. What concerns me regarding this court case is the reason given to Core Issues Trust that they would be seen as ‘Offensive’.

I agree fully that people do not have the right to NOT being offended.

The reason that these should have been banned is that it is both the government and Psychological and Medical organisation’s views that this type of therapy is not effective and is harmful.

I just worry that these advertisements will be permitted due to the wrong reason being given for their banning.

6. My universal translator doesn’t seem to recognise what this person is saying. Translation anyone?

1. Commanderthor 28 Feb 2013, 12:28pm

All I read was: I’m a cock, I’m a cock, I’m a cock….

7. Jock S. Trap 28 Feb 2013, 11:50am

People do Not walk away from homosexuality. They are pressured into it from people like this vile group represents. It is wrong, it is harmful and no the ad should never be allowed.

It’s hate speech not free speech. Too many people who go through these therapies end up more confused and too many commit suicide.

Too many also within religion fail to grasp what bisexuality is. They don’t and won’t help those ‘st8′ be accepted as Gay so why is it acceptable for the opposite.

It’s just, yet again religion wanting to have the freedom to discriminate.

1. disproportionate AIDS 28 Feb 2013, 1:41pm

Everything is hate speech to you since you are a self loathing deviant with a victim complex.
      I am offended by your way views and your way of life yet democracy demands that I tolerate you. Therefore, you should tolerate back idiot!

1. Thank you for being a perfect example of why we need laws to protect us. You need therapy for your latent homosexuality so you can be the happy gay person you were supposed to be.

8. Commanderthor 28 Feb 2013, 12:28pm

Translation: I’m a cock, I’m a cock, I’m a cock….

9. Commanderthor 28 Feb 2013, 12:28pm

Translation: I’m a cock, I’m a cock, I’m a cock….

10. Commanderthor 28 Feb 2013, 12:28pm

Translation: I’m a cock, I’m a cock, I’m a cock….

11. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Feb 2013, 12:44pm

Alan Chambers, president of ex-gay scam group, Exodus International said last year…”For someone to put out a shingle and say, ‘I can cure homosexuality’ — that to me is as bizarre as someone saying they can cure any other common temptation or struggle that anyone faces on Planet Earth.” In July 2012 while appearing on NBC’s Hardball, Chambers stated that he always believed the catchphrase, “Pray away the gay”, to be a lazy stereotype and one that he never used, as it invalidates the nature of the complex issue surrounding homosexuality. Chambers went on to tell the host (Michael Smerconish), that he has same-sex attraction and for anyone to say he does not have temptations, or that he could never be tempted, or does not have same-sex attraction is not true.”

12. Katie kool-eyes 28 Feb 2013, 1:18pm

But still the pope claims publicly that condoms spread aids. Many xtians call aids the “gay desease” which is both incorrect and clearly wafting of your own amoral agenda.

You’re correct, xtians know what they are doing. Good thing everyone else knows what your band are upto as well!

13. I suggest some of these comments are deleted.

14. Deviant-- abominations 28 Feb 2013, 1:50pm

Everything is hate speech to Jock Strap you since he is a self loathing deviant with a victim complex.
    I am offended by his views and way of life yet democracy demands that I tolerate the fool. Therefore, he should tolerate back !

15. Robert A. Cuthbertson, M.D. 28 Feb 2013, 2:42pm

There is NO evidence, NONE, that this type of therapy works any more than there is proof that their god exists. It is all about their faith and bigotry.
    Just because you dye your hair blonde it does NOT make you a blonde…any more than marrying makes you “straight”.
    Just remember…religion is truly a choice.

1. Deviant-- abominations 28 Feb 2013, 6:13pm

So you are saying that attraction to the fecal passage is natural and normal Perhaps you think the sc’at community are normal also and that you cannot be ex sca’t?

16. At least you signed the rubbish off with your correct name.

17. Yes if you want to go down that path, well done the ONE good christian on this planet. shame your fellows have killed more of us than save us.

18. “The trust will draw attention to a poster which some Christians found offensive. Funded by Richard Dawkins, the academic, and the British Humanist Association in 2009, it said: “There’s probably no God. Now stop worrying. And enjoy your life.””

Are we to assume that the trust will also be able to find a christian who was pressured by the BHA into changing their faith? Or felt pressured into self-harm by the people endorsing the BHA’s message?

19. Imo the judge should reverse the ban on the basis that the Mayor had unlawfully restricted free speech. He had discriminated against the group who wanted to display the “ex-gay” bus ads demonstrated by his allowing the “pro-gay” ads. He thereby stifled one side of the debate on the issue.

1. You can’t ‘debate’ a fact, JohnB. Your sexuality is innate. You can’t change it. Yet these mendacious ads imply it’s a choice. That’s why they shouldn’t be allowed – because they’re perpetuating a falsehood. We might aswell debate whether the earth is round or not.

1. If the black analogy does apply then I would agree – ban the advert.

My understanding is we don’t know for sure that being gay is innate and in some cases it probably isn’t. We also know that there are some people who were gay and are no longer gay.

While I am uncomfortable with point making ads like these and was taught when young that two wrongs don’t make a right, it seems to me unfair and undemocratic that we allow a point making advert that might offend some and disallowing an advert making a different point becoz it doesn’t fit comfortably with the views of the ruling elite.

2. And ‘ex-gay’ is not the opposite of ‘pro-gay’ any more than ‘ex-black’ is the opposite of pro-equality.

20. Don’t you think you might be obsessing a little about something nobody here seems to be interested in? The remarks, by the way, are potentially defamatory. I should be a little more careful if I were you.

21. Your grasp of the English language is so poor you are almost illiterate.