Archbishop who smeared gay Labour MP David Cairns takes over in temporary role from Cardinal O’Brien

1. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Feb 2013, 5:49pm

Another vile closet case filling in. I’ve no doubt fellow archibigot Nichols south of the border is eying the red hat.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Feb 2013, 5:49pm

Another vile closet case filling in. I’ve no doubt fellow archbigot Nichols south of the border is eying the red hat.

3. Just how deep do they intend to dig that hole?

Archbishop Tartaglia’s appointment could be seen as ‘a message’ to the LGBT community from the RC Church.

It’s disgusting that this so-called Christian could try to publicly smear a dead person. His appointment just confirms the deep hatred within the RC Church towards the LGBT community.

1. Deep enough so they can bury themselves alive – and good riddance!

2. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Feb 2013, 6:08pm

The co-convenor of the Scottish Green Party Patrick Harvie MSP last July challenged the Scottish Catholic Church to produce evidence for its claim that gay relationships harm life expectancy. I wonder what became of it? I suspect Tartaglia declined. Harvie should have pursued it.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Feb 2013, 6:12pm

Correction, I believe it was catholic spokesperson Peter Kearney was challenged not Tartaglia directly.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Feb 2013, 10:02pm

Thanks, DC.

4. Lion in Winter 27 Feb 2013, 6:03pm

Wow – there is a face for radio.

1. DCBrighton 27 Feb 2013, 6:21pm

His nose and chin are trying to escape his face in different directions.

2. Apparently, he is a martyr to Hobnobs.

1. Isn’t it spelled Hobknobs? I always thought it was.

3. If I was feeling especially savage, I would point out that there is significant dogmatic support for saying that being a fat ass is against god’s wishes and he should look to his own asinine fairy tale before he shovels any more communion wafers down his gullet. Since he is the one who seeks to impose that facile “moral” crap on everyone else, he should be its bastion.

But that would be mean, so I won’t.

5. DCBrighton 27 Feb 2013, 6:20pm

I have spoken to this man. He has emailed me saying I was full of hate towards the Catholic Church for not opposing equal marriage. He really is O’Brien v2.0.

1. DCBrighton 27 Feb 2013, 7:53pm

Incidentally, Tartaglia’s email to me ended with ‘Sent from my iPad’
      Nice to know he’s an Apple fanboi.

6. Give him his due he has subsequently apologised unreservedly for the stupid comments he made about the late MP.

I imagine the priests and the parishioners in his archdiocese have since told him to get a grip even before all this about O’Brien.

1. DCBrighton 27 Feb 2013, 7:55pm

He only apologised because of the leaked recording of him making the comments. He got caught out.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Feb 2013, 10:02pm

True and if he were really that sincere it would have been a voluntary apology and not prompted by someone who happened to hear him and being caught out. Another way to save his own sad fat arse. A rea douche bag.

7. Liam the God 27 Feb 2013, 6:26pm

The more things change the more they stay the same…..

8. Jock S. Trap 27 Feb 2013, 6:55pm

So… one bigot goes and another enters…

So we begin again!

No Shame!

9. PeterinSydney 27 Feb 2013, 7:15pm

What a disgusting mistake for a human being.

10. Tartaglia became the most senior catholic clergyman in Scotland the day O’Brien retired, and therefore the leader of the church in Scotland, so this appointment doesn’t really give him any more authority than he had anyway.

He took over the Presidency of the Bishop’s Conference of Scotland last year, from O’Brien, as he was to succeed O’Brien as leader next month anyway.

That aside, he is a disgusting homophobe who is no better than O’Brien.

Interestingly, I heard on the news in recent days that of the 6 dioceses and 2 archdioceses in Scotland, only 3 have full time Bishops now O’Brien has resigned. It seems the catholic church in Scotland was already in crisis before this latest business with O’Brien.

11. Another disgusting freak, I wonder how many altar boys he’s buggered?

12. Plus ca change, plus c’est la meme chose.

The catholic church certainly have a death-wish. And Scottish catholics deserve what they have got.

Another medieval religion sinks faster than the Venice lagoon.

1. Tish, you spoke French.

13. friday jones 27 Feb 2013, 11:24pm

Isn’t gluttony one of the Seven Deadly Sins of Catholicism? Then how come such a bloated piggie is an Archbishop? He’s WALLOWING in sin. Sin, and mud.

14. OK lads (and ladies), if anyone has heard any gay rumours about this archbishop or (better still) has proof of him diddling on the pink oboe, could they post it now?

I’m not asking for any mean-spirited reason. It’s just I want us all to be spared another God-knows-how-many-years of this man retching out the blackened raisin of his soul on us, only for us to discover that he’s just a self-loathing closet case.

Also, while I have zero respect for the highers-up in the Catholic church, I know a lot ordinary Catholics who either couldn’t give a stuff about equal marriage or actively support it.

I’ve seen a couple of surveys that point to day-to-day Catholics either being the most supportive of gay marriage or the least critical of all the ‘mainstream’ Christian religions. And those people were hurt by O’Brien, too

(That, of course, is qualified by a major chapeau doffing to the brilliant, brave and generally wonderful Quakers.)

1. But they all turn up for mass and hand over their cash just the same. They are just as guilty for doing nothing about it. In fact if they are enlightened it makes them more guilty in my view.

15. Seems like it’s out of the muck heap and into the cess pit

16. Common sense 28 Feb 2013, 1:43am

make no mistake, Tartaglia is MUCH more extremely pro Vatican than O’Brien.

O’Brien believe it or not came from a liberal tradition. He was made to declare his submission to Vatican teaching when becoming a cardinal but I am starting to think his totally over the top attacks on gay marriage – comparing it to slavery or child abuse – was his attempt to wreck the pro marriage debate while at the same time please his Vatican handlers. Certainly many in the Scottish campaign against gay marriage felt his comments were very unhelpful to the cause since they continually held it up to ridicule and drowned out any more nuanced arguments.

17. What has this got to do with the so-called ‘LGBT community’ – apart for more anti-catholic ranting and bile ?

Some people are Catholic – get over it !

1. Philip Breen 28 Feb 2013, 6:51am

Yes, Ray. Thank you for saying that. Like many, I don’t like the way the Church fails to recognise that the brutal way it says things effectively amounts to a persecution of LGBT people. However, many of us are Catholics and have to live with this tension alongside our catholic culture & beliefs. We can’t change how we were born & brought up any more than we can our sexual orientation. Nonetheless, it seems to have become fair game to vilify people for being catholic. This, too, is manifest discrimination. We should be careful to distinguish issues from the catholic faith itself which is upheld by many people who are trying to live good & honourable lives under difficult circumstances.

1. I am 70 now but at 18, I was in a religious order and hoping/training to be a priest/religious; all starry-eyed and smitten..!
        I told my Superior that I thought I might be homosexual.
        I was told I was ”sick” and one of only few so afflicted.
        I was given the name and address of a doctor who would ‘address’ the problem with 240v.
        Attending my first Mass in my hometown, having just left the seminary, (since I was told I could not continue and had to leave,) I got up and walked out of the church (building) and out of the Church (institution) and turned my back on religion totally.
        I have never been in a church/place of worship since; that was 1961, 52 years ago.
        And what keeps me out is the statement that my ”homosexuality is intrinsically morally disordered” and that it is ”not unjust discrimination to take sexual orientation into account, since sexual orientation is not equivalent to race or ethnicity.”
        NO. NO.
        A thousand times no.
        I will NOT have it.
        Keith.
        SALFORD

2. In later life being Catholic is a choice! Nobody is born a Catholic but children are conditioned (some would say brainwashed) into it. Being Gay is NOT a choice….a child is born this way just as (s)he might be if the colour of the skin is non-white….nothing to be done but accept the reality of what appears to be a genetic inheritance.

Nobody is vilifying any one person for being Catholic; they are vilifying the hypocrisy of those who lead the Catholic Church and who persecute homosexuals while living out their closet-bound existences denying the reality of their own human condition, thus making them less than human and certainly lacking in any of the compassion and tolerance of the man whom they follow. Such Catholics are sad excuses for human beings, should never be placed in any authority over anybody and should have been receiving therapy for their self-loathing. And while I am vilifying such men (hardly real men) as Cardinal O’Brien, I respect true faith.

2. “Some people are Catholic – get over it !”

Its difficult to ignore such obvious mental health issue and a lack of education in our fellow man.

3. They started it……..:)

18. Not missed many pies, either, this one, has he..!

Tartaglia..!

Just stick to using your trap for munching on the pies and pasta, pet.

19. (TO CONTINUE)

…and by inference, I, too, am ”intrinsically morally disordered”.

Again; no no no and a thousand times more ”NO”; I will NOT have that.

Wrong.
    Really, one has to ask what else has the Church got wrong; much, judging by the only the last few weeks.
    Keith
    SALFORD

20. Sister Mary Clarence 28 Feb 2013, 9:26am

I’m sure we are all eagerly awaiting some sordid revelations from his past life

21. Tartaglia! My word…I wonder how much ‘how’s yer Godfather’ he’s had with young priests?

22. When I first saw this guys photo I thought it was Christopher Biggins, hope that don’t offend Biggins.

It’s a pity that an opportunity has been missed. Replacing one bigot with outdated views that don’t match up to societies current thinking with another bigot who shares the same views will do nothing to strengthen the catholic church.

23. This fat bigot has no moral authority to lead anything other than a rabid dog.