Video: Westboro Baptist Church faces counter protest at LA high school over tolerance of gay pupils

1. Is there no limit to the depth of depravity that the Westboro Baptists will sink to? Their intense hatred is surely incitement. The right to freedom of speech is considered paramount in the U.S., but when that freedom is abused and used as a way of unleashing hatred on a minority, is it not the duty of authorities to treat their behaviour as a criminal act? It’s hypocritical of a society to tolerate one type of extremism but declares ‘war’ on other types of extremism.

1. They must be allowed the public expression of their view short of calling for violence. The admirable counter-demonstration detailed here is the most effective remedy against them. ‘Repressive authority’ would simply give them an air of martyred virtue.

2. GingerlyColors 26 Feb 2013, 3:53am

I just don’t know how the Westboro Baptist Church manage to get away with it without getting lynched. Their policy of picketing funerals and and schools have made themselves unpopular even with other hate groups such as the Ku Klux Klan.

1. Spanner1960 26 Feb 2013, 10:37am

It is pretty obvious by that video: The police put a busy road in between them and made sure nobody got even close to the Westboro bunch.

I really think they way around this is for the police departments to start billing the church for their time, (hopefully extortionate amounts), and if they refuse to pay up, leave them to the dogs.

1. Liam the God 26 Feb 2013, 1:42pm

I’d LOVE to see Fred Phelps ripped apart by an enraged mob!
        Is that wrong of me? I don’t care! :D

3. Very clever young people.

Yea, John Lennon !

4. The fact that they’ve indoctrinated their kids into believing the hateful doctrine of this ‘church’ has got to be considered child abuse

1. David Jordan 26 Feb 2013, 8:46pm

Not to mention the fact that they’re pretty much using their children as human shields.

5. I know this is way off topic but why hasn’t PinkNews mentioned the resignation of Cardinal Keith O’Brien? I heard about it in Malaysia this cradle of Islamic faith yesterday.

1. They have, several times. With hundreds of comments.

6. How uplifting to see people standing up against this vile group of people -why the American people have not been more proactive against God Hate Fags i don’t understand.

Lee

7. barriejohn 26 Feb 2013, 8:04am

The guy in this video is a bit naive (you can make Jesus say just what you want him to say – as with the rest of the Bibe), but his heart is certainly in the right place!

8. Jock S. Trap 26 Feb 2013, 10:30am

Oh this is brilliant. Maybe more of these will show how weak and pathetic the West Boro idiots really are.

9. ‘Broken moral compass’?
    Anyone following theirs ought to break it asap.

10. Christopher in Canada 26 Feb 2013, 12:52pm

I thought God loved everybody… am I stuck in the 70’s…

11. “The moral compasses of these children have been broken at the hands of their parents, their teachers, and their preachers from the cradle.”

Seems to me a perfect description of the poor children growing up in the Westbore Cult.

1. Westboro

1. I think you were right the first time.

12. PantoHorse 26 Feb 2013, 2:14pm

It’s great that the school board are also on board, so to speak, but I’d much prefer to hear them talk of acceptance, rather than tolerance. I don’t want to be tolerated – that’s what you do when the dog farts – I want to be accepted.

13. Tom Cotner 26 Feb 2013, 3:16pm

They have the right to say whatever they wish (as long it is not “fire” in a crowded theatre). And most Americans would fight for their right to do so.
    But most Americans can come up with clever and effective ways (as those Santa Monica students did) of countering such hatred and bigotry.
    It’s the way we do it, and it usually works in the end. (No, not usually — it always works in the end).

14. ..after seeing this I felt so liberated not completely but enough to think that how can anyone be against a person who is a nice, respectful, intelligent and useful in this World and basically hate them because they have sex in a different way? I just cannot tolerate this irrational fear of Gay people.

15. lets be honest here and say anyone who is a nice, respectful, and intelligent but mostly useful human being in this World gets abused because they have sex in a different way–come on this is such a out of date joke–I cannot tolerate these irrational activities towards homosexual people anymore.

16. Westboro supporters 6, Santa Monica School 500.

Who is the littlest hobo now?