US: Pro-marriage equality GOP lawmaker dismisses $500,000 threat from anti-gay group

1. Jock S. Trap 26 Feb 2013, 3:00pm

Eh, last time I checked democracy ruled America Not Communist Religions!

2. Darren Theoret 26 Feb 2013, 3:03pm

One can buy votes in USA? Power to the rich!

1. WantsToKnow 26 Feb 2013, 4:19pm

Darren… They WON’T tell anybody. They are even defying a court order (our of Vermont, I think) to do so. We believe the bulk of their money comes from a handful of wealthy individuals. While NOM portrays themselves as a “grass roots” organization, they are not.

2. WantsToKnow 26 Feb 2013, 4:21pm

Darren… Sorry, my fingers “slipped”… my message is not in response to yours.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 26 Feb 2013, 3:05pm

Truly amazing that a catholic sponsored hate group are allowed to threaten a politician by urging constituents to vote him out. I also thought blackmail was a serious crime too. NOM is a corrupt, money hungry hate group aided and abetted by the catholic cult.

1. What I’m wondering, is where they get their money…

1. WantsToKnow 26 Feb 2013, 4:20pm

Emory: They WON’T tell anybody. They are even defying a court order (our of Vermont, I think) to do so. We believe the bulk of their money comes from a handful of wealthy individuals. While NOM portrays themselves as a “grass roots” organization, they are not.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 26 Feb 2013, 6:31pm

Coincidentally, an anonymous donor, well, anonymous to anyone who doesn’t work for NOM gave them $500,000 in the past few days. Obviously a republican. NOM have defied court orders to release their donor base on appeal of the ruling. From what I’ve read, non-profits in America must release their donor lists in keeping with the Internal Revenue Service stipulations regarding their non-profit status.

4. We have groups like this threatening politicians and then politicians using their catholicism not to vote for equal marriage. The vatican has way too much power these days.

5. I like the smell of their desparation.

6. 121Stripling 26 Feb 2013, 7:08pm

You are aware that the NOM is conceived and largely financially supported by the Mormon church. It is basically a front group for the Mormon Church. The Mormon church does not want any advserse publicity, hence their secretive creation of the NOM.