Manchester University society shut down after anti-gay Muslim video expose

1. Staircase2 26 Feb 2013, 6:16pm

I am disappointed you would choose to write this article in this inflammatory way.

The headline and opening paragraphs are misleading.

It isn’t clear until later in the piece that he actually created the situation by deliberately asking leading questions with the intention of then recording those answers in order to create a situation.

I agree with the University’s original assessment that this tactic was wrong.

Of course the chairman was wrong to say what he said, but why was this man setting this situation up in the first place?

What does he stand to gain by doing that?

And why doesn’t this article itself ask those questions…?

Shoddy Journalism which contravenes the NUJ’s Code of Conduct

1. What does he stand to gain? Exposing a group permitted to meet on university grounds that advocates killing gay people. Do you seriously have a problem with that?

1. de Villiers 27 Feb 2013, 3:44pm

I agree – in what situation is asking whether gay people should be killed an unfairly leading question?

It could only be seen as unfair if someone felt ‘tricked’ into answering ‘yes’ to the question – which would raise the question as to why someone felt tricked into telling the truth according to them.

2. Maybe ‘cos that’s what they believe! I think it’s very good journalism to expose what awful ‘morals’ these people have. I suggest you watch the BBC news one day and see how they put leading questions to dodgy politicians.

3. isn’t the real disappointment here that the chairWOMAN chose to agree that GAY people should be KILLED, and for just kissing also? since when is asking a question ‘creating a situation’! also what situation are you referring to? am i having a lapse of concentration or are your comments fubar? are you trolling, by any chance?! are you also referring to the pn piece as shoddy? because it’s not clear to me that the person who recorded the meeting is a member of the nuj? weirdness.

4. casparthegood 26 Feb 2013, 7:01pm

I suggest you read the article much more carefully, take time to reflect on what was actualy said by this person and stop concentrating on the “leading questions” The resposes go far beyond being led and in my opinion the tactic is perfecly appropriate under the circumsances.

5. Liam the God 26 Feb 2013, 10:30pm

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!!

2. Colin Cortbus was entirely justified in exposing this horrendous bigotry.

1. de Villiers 27 Feb 2013, 3:41pm

I agree. More than justified – he performed a public service.

3. christianity treats us badly enough, but I can’t stand the way muslims pretend to be ‘good’ peaceful people then murder, imprison and treat us like dogs wherever their ridiculous ideology has any power.

1. I am a person who always tries to respect all kinds of cultures and belief systems, but a long time ago I stopped trying to believe that Islam is a religion of peace. It’s not possible for me to believe in that anymore.

4. Robert in S. Kensington 26 Feb 2013, 7:00pm

It’s no different than undercover police infiltrating mosques to record the rants from imams calling for jihad in the UK and elsewhere, preaching hatred against the British people. You can’t seriously believe that the purpose of that was to create a situation? I see no difference in what Colin Cortbus did. I”m glad he did it.

5. Notice that the Student Union Executive attacked the messenger and only got off their arses and did something AFTER the whistleblower risked his neck and the police were involved? Shame on that Union.

6. it’s jawdroppingly stupid to think that an ‘abomination’ in the original text of the original religion has become a carte blanche kill them all response by these narrow-minded religionists. all this student has done is highlight that religious extremism appears to still have a place in educational premises in the uk, but let’s overlook that fact because he filmed it without consent… remember 7/7?

1. The problem is, those who criticise a no tolerance approach to hate speech probably remember 7/7 and 9/11 and distinctly remember smiling or cheering when they were both announced.

2. thoughtful 26 Feb 2013, 9:19pm

the original religion? Although the Qur’an doesn’t make explicit orders to kill gay people the second most holy book the ‘Hadith’ makes several.
      Unfortunately there are several people even in this community prepared to turn a blind eye to this murderous intent, or just want to live in a rose tinted bubble. They get very angry and sometimes violent when that bubble gets pricked by reality.
      Islam is not a religion, it is an ideology, it gives precise instruction as to how a follower must live, right down to how to wipe your bum! even how to enter the bathroom!
      There’s no getting away from it, this is a part of the religion explicitly ordered and followers who believe must accept this.

7. I don’t condone violence but the Student Union Executive deserve a slap(s) for criticising Colin Cortbus – and that’s being polite.

Bigotry from Christianity in the UK is bad enough, but it still has some way to go before getting as bad as Islamic hatred. One thing (if the only thing) that Communism got right was to ban religion.

1. Liam the God 26 Feb 2013, 10:34pm

Stalin used Religion to support his rule, too. Napoleon also used religion for controlling those he called “Useful Idiots”. It’s what Islamists think of Leftist pant-wetters and apologists (Yes, I AM talking about George fucking Galloway!).

2. George Galloway converted to Islam some time ago. From a ‘New Statesman’ interview:

‘George Galloway, MP for Bradford West, is a Muslim. He converted more than ten years ago in a ceremony at a hotel in Kilburn, north-west London, attended by members of the Muslim Association of Great Britain. Those close to him know this. The rest of the world, including his Muslim constituents, does not. ‘

He is married to a Muslim woman, 30 years his junior, under Islamic law a Kuffar may not marry a Moslem woman, although it is permissible the other way around.

1. Liam the God 27 Feb 2013, 1:02pm

I’ve never liked George Galloway.

2. Dan Filson 27 Feb 2013, 4:10pm

According to Wikipedia, Galloway denies the “Kilburn ceremony” report, though this does not necessarily mean it is not true.

8. From MUSU well-being officer, Cat Gray:

“We are deeply concerned with the covert filming of a student event within the Union. We are also deeply concerned by the suggestion that comments of a homophobic nature have been made.”

Just think about her statement. Initially it appears that she is making a direct equivalence between the undercover filming and the statement that killing gay people is recommended: she described herself and the SU Exec as “deeply concerned” in both cases.

But look at it closely: the second ‘deep concern’ is actually about the “suggestion” that homophobic comments were made. Not the comments themselves but the allegation by Cortbus – again, in fact, attacking the messenger and not addressing the homophobic incitement to murder.

1. Is this “wellbeing officer” really only concerned about the (underhand and entirely laudable) tactics of Cortbus and ignoring the comments of the unidentified speaker?

On the MUSU website her first priority is to: “Represent and promote students to be happy & healthy at University” – I guess that doesn’t include the gay people who might get killed for kissing.

In a scream of withering sarcasm, Douglas Murray wrote of this statement in The Spectator: “You see. Wrong done on both sides. If everybody only admitted that then perhaps we could all just get along. Can’t we?”

9. David Wynyard 27 Feb 2013, 11:39am

“The University of Manchester’s Student Union Executive strongly condemned the homophobic language – but also criticised Mr Cortbus for his undercover recording of the meeting – that in turned angered many students who felt his actions were justified.”

I require the names of those responsible for holding Mr Corbus up for criticism. Those stupid bozos must be fired or, if they be students, expelled.

1. Liam the God 27 Feb 2013, 12:36pm

The NUS are another bunch of Apologists for Islamofascism. Remember: “Only WHITE PEOPLE can be Racist and Fascist!”. *spit*

10. panagiotis 27 Feb 2013, 6:33pm

Ok I disagree with comments about killing people…However personally I believe that the gays should reveal that nature of them only on their bed…No gay should be allowed to say in public that because it is against morals and a healthy society.

God made men and women to get married,to have children.He didn’t make men to have sex between them!Personally if I was out with my children and I saw gays kissing or doing disturbing things I would abuse them…

I am a Christian and unfortunately in England Christians are a minority..Most declare themselves atheists and use it as a cheap excuse to behave like garbbage.

So the the one who said in a previous comment that christianity treats us badly,Christianity did nothing against anyone..Islam also is a religion of peace and love and tose who use it as an excuse for terrorism and murder are not muslims.

Unfortunately Christianism is fought by the forces of Globalism and zionists who want to destroy everything moral

1. Liam the God 27 Feb 2013, 9:21pm

I was desperately trying to think of an intelligent and witty reply to this post, but having read it three times all I can come up with is “Panagiotis, You are FULL OF SHIT!”.
      Sorry, but if you genuinely believe Christianity did nothing to anyone you’re missing out ALL of theCrusades, ALL of the Reformation, all of the Enlightenment, and ignoring the expulsion of the Jews from most of Western Europe.
      YOU ARE FULL OF SHIT!

2. @panagiotis As a fellow Christian, I am disgusted in reading your comments. Whatever happened to “hate the sin but love the sinner”? If you truly believe homosexuality is wrong, then fine. But you are bound by the Bible to treat everyone with the same respect and love, for “let him who is without sin, cast the first stone”. I have many gay friends and I love every last one of them and fully support them no matter what lifestyle they lead. They are happy, they’ve found love and it is not our place to judge. So how dare you say if you saw 2 men kissing in the street you “would abuse them” in front of your kids. What a horrible Christian example to set them. Maybe you should study your Bible more and see the sections where Jesus loved everyone regardless, and apply that to your life rather than attacking gay people.

3. I am a Christian man and believe in love. I reuse to judge what form love can take. I love my wife and I love my gay friends. I am disabled and know I can never have children, instead I work with children. So … since we appear to be missing your instructions as to what marriage amongst disabled people is for, should I divorce my wife?

You have also glossed over the fact that the human race is not a simple binary of male & female, or does the word ‘intersex’ not figure in your vocabulary? I condemn what extremist Muslims say and deplore their threats, but never forget, Christians too had their dark ages – the Spanish Inquisition to name but one sorry episode. Even today, there are those who dress Christian, speak on-behalf of Christians, pray to a Christian God, read from the Christian Bible yet condemn other denominations of Christianity, single mothers, gay and trans people and anyone else who disagrees with their narrow ant- Jesus attitude.

11. paul collings 27 Feb 2013, 10:15pm

So many opposing views, well done pinknews for allowing a full range of comments.
    A full range of comments is something that would never be allowed in an islamic society however, and if colin cortbus hadn’t recorded this event he would have been called a liar a racist and an islamophope.
    If these groups go unchallenged then they’ll grow in numbers, and confidence.
    These radical groups promote hate. Sometimes the ends justify the means.
    And lets be clear, no one is asking for muslims to be killed. So lets be clear about who is in the wrong.
    If a group from any other part of society said it was ok to kill muslims because they didn’t like their life choices, then the police would be knocking the door down.

12. The Student Union ought to be investigated too & in my mind closed down then re-opened with a clean slate!

13. Whatever happened to the tenet of ‘When in Rome, do as the Romans do’ – in other words, one obeys the laws of the country one is in. It is high time that Britain enforced British Law on everyone, regardless of their religion – either that, or just ban all organised religion!