Gay rights campaigners react to Cardinal O’Brien’s resignation

1. That There Other David 25 Feb 2013, 1:07pm

“May God who has blessed me so often in my ministry continue to bless and help me in the years which remain for me on earth and may he shower his blessings on all the peoples of Scotland especially those I was privileged to serve in a special way in the Archdiocese of Saint Andrews and Edinburgh.”

Puts blessing himself before the entire population of Scotland I see. Thinks he’s really special doesn’t he?

2. Sanctimonious git.

3. “For any failures, I apologise to all whom I have offended.”

Does that include us gay people?

1. of course not we are quote a “defection of human nature” – How do these sanctimonious superstitious monsters get away with saying this kind of hatred in the name of christianity -

4. papi ratzi 25 Feb 2013, 1:16pm

A direct apology to the gay community he has so bitterly bashed over the years would surely be the blessed thing to do? but I expect he will ease his conscience in a sweet retirement enclave as a troll on grindr

1. Jock S. Trap 25 Feb 2013, 1:22pm

I suspect like that vile creep that covered up the sex abuse cases he’ll say he forgives our anger and make himself the victim.

They are really a vile bunch. Why people would want these people representing them is beyond me.

5. Jock S. Trap 25 Feb 2013, 1:19pm

Very much welcomed. The man’s a nasty bigoted hypocrite.

All they do is encourage other to lie but then they would rather we did. Problem for them is we don’t and should never be made to feel like it.

Shameful man… Whose next though?

6. I am satisfied that this man, who was so influential in 2012, will soon be a nobody.

1. Yes… but will he get a substantial pension, alowing him to live out his final years in considerable comfort? And if so, why?

7. Celebrations!

8. what a bitch!

1. Wow, God is posting on PinkNews!!

9. casparthegood 25 Feb 2013, 1:42pm

Failure to keep his dick under control will that be ?

1. Failure not to get caught, I think.

10. In the light of Keith O’Brien’s outspoken homophobia and bigotry it would be sensible for the BBC to carry the responses of gay rights organisations, as well as responses from religious organisations. Doubt it will happen, though – as the BBC is sympathetic with the Catholic Church..

1. If you check the Beeb’s news stories right now, you will see that they are quoting Stonewall Scotland

1. Maybe on the BBC website, but I’ve not seen anything on the BBC News TV channel – only the reactions from a religious perspective.

Also check out my blog yesterday

1. Here is Newsround’s perfunctory web report on the story –

1. Newsround is aimed at kids, hardly going to be in depth reporting of gay issues!

11. In his statement O’Brien said: “For any failures, I apologise to all whom I have offended.”

NOT GOOD ENOUGH, O’BRIEN! NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

You will hopefully not get off with so light an apology, not to mention without any admission of the specific “failures”!

12. -Failures!

It puts the “Bless me Father for I have sinned!” into a whole new perspective.

“May God who has blessed me so often in my ministry continue to bless and help me in the years which remain for me on earth”

Indeed, living with guilt of bigotry, and conscience of the shame brought on others it may well be that he needs help in the years remaining on earth!

13. Two faced arsehole! ” I apologise to all whom i have offended.” APOLOGY NOT ACCEPTED!

14. “… those I was privileged to serve in a special way in the Archdiocese of Saint Andrews and Edinburgh.”

Seriously? Does the Archdiocese not employ anyone who can read?

Or is that how the Catholic church now describes sexually harassing one’s staff – “serve in a special way”? Could explain a lot.

15. Cardinal Fang 25 Feb 2013, 2:12pm

I bet he wasn’t expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

1. casparthegood 25 Feb 2013, 2:24pm

No-one….
      OK I’ll get my coat :-)

16. He is not fit to represent lay Catholics, who, according to polls, are actually more tolerant of gays than the rest of the population.

1. I wish some of these tolerant catholics would stand up to the church on it’s view of homosexuality rather than just meekly attending church. If enough of them did, then maybe we’d see the church change it’s views. They’d hardly stick to their stance if, for example, 3 quarters of their flock threatened to stop going to mass and stop filling the church coffers with their hard earned money.

2. I’m sick of hearing how “lay” Christians are more tolerant than the policies and leaders of the churches they attend. It doesn’t matter how tolerant they like to think they are, they are supporting an intolerant leadership and funding it with their Sunday collections. To try and claim “well they don’t represent my views” is dishonest because, quite simply, the bigots in the church are claiming just that as their authority. Any “lay” Christian who claims that they don’t share the blame for their church’s homophobic activities is either a liar or deluding themselves.

1. When I was in Edinburgh a few months ago I noticed cars jammed into the garden in front of a city-centre church on a Saturday night! So I went to investigate, and found the church absolutely full of locals hearing a Saturday night mass. The good news though is that there wasn’t a single red-blooded young male in his 20s or 30s amongst them. They were all old folk, with a few kids and teenagers who’d been dragged along by their elders.

I reckon this news is going to make sure that youngsters keep well clear of the Catholic church in Scotland.

1. casparthegood 25 Feb 2013, 6:10pm

10-1 on they were not locals unless it was a particular mass. Even Edinburgh folk have better things to do on a saturday night

17. My thoughts are with the victims only.

I doubt his departure will have any significance for the Catholic Church in Scotland’s policy towards LGBT people.

1. casparthegood 25 Feb 2013, 2:27pm

It may give the more gullible ones who blindly follow every word from these people pause for thought though and even that is a start

1. I doubt it, caspar. They’ll just refuse to believe the allegations.

1. casparthegood 25 Feb 2013, 2:48pm

Wait till the allegations are proved or a conviction is gained and watch the back-peddling then tho. Even if they are not proved the smell will linger as many unfairly accused gay men will know.

1. It may make some question their loyalty to the catholic church, but I think they’ll be few and far between. Some still won’t believe it even if O’Brien were to be found guilty in a court. Others would just say he was a bad apple but still blindy follow the church. I just don’t have much faith in the average catholic – pun fully intended! I was telling my brother about it last night as he hadn’t heard. He simply replied, “All priests are at it.” He’s a good, church-going catholic.

2. Even then, they will deny the truth and claim it’s a miscarriage of justice. I recall being at the protest outside Westminster Cathedral and having congregation members walk past saying these allegations where disgraceful and untrue.

3. And O’Brien even started providing himself with an excuse hours before the allegations became public by urging the Vatican to consider that there is a need for Catholic priests to have a companion, a woman, to love.

That was an excuse, preparing for a soft landing I reckon, but it was also a further act of hypocrisy, for if the allegations are true it’s not a woman that male Catholic clerics like O’Brien would be needing, is it!

2. Very noble of you, Adrian, to remember the victims, but “My thoughts are with the victims ONLY”? You don’t have any thoughts whatsoever regarding the irresponsibility of O’Brien’s behaviour? You don’t believe that justice should be done and if he’s guilty that he should have to pay in some way?

I don’t believe in a Heaven or a Hell in an after-life. People who do such psychological damage to people as O’Brien has done through his years of vicious brainwash need to get their just desserts.

18. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Feb 2013, 2:52pm

The silence of the Widdecombe brigade is deafening and astounding! Where is their outrage, why aren’t they taking to the streets to protest? Tit for tat Widdecombe!

19. Public reaction on the BBC News website is 99.9% pro-O’Brien. Many are asking who “these faceless accusers” are and challenging the Observer journalist who wrote the story to name the accusers! Do they not realise that they are entitled to anonymity. I bet these people wanting the names of the accusers are Christian! Nauseating.

20. Pavlos Prince of Greece 25 Feb 2013, 3:06pm

I think, we can be glad, but not very happy with this. The main news are, that homosexuality still is at the moment most strongest taboo for the Catholic Church, stronger as molestation of minors or financial scandals, for example. Cardinals, who was involved in scandals of this matter, still keep position or has resign much more later – Cardinal O`Brien in the context of gay relationship with adult priests has resign only few days later after it became public. One prove more, that Catholic Church, once safe refuge for gay men, has became in the recent years something like sacred incarnation of traditional masculinity: ‘family values’ as new evangelisation, football teams of priests – even in the Vatican etc. Even idea of married priests is not in contradiction of all this, but very logical next step in same direction: what is better to underline role of priest as guardian of traditional family as became husband and head of big family?

1. Well said, Pavlos.

And once we’ve knocked all these Catholic hypocrites off their thrones, we’ll need to deal with the thousands of hypocrite monks living in the men-only communities on the Mount Athos peninsula, won’t we? :-)

1. Pavlos Prince of Greece 25 Feb 2013, 5:19pm

Eddy, maybe You have interest to learn more about homosexuality on the Mount Athos? Then read, please, ‘L`ete grec’ (‘Greek summer’) by Jacques Lacarriere (French edition 1976; I think, some translation in English must exist too). Delicious …

21. I hope, in coming to terms with his hypocrisy, he chooses to atone for his past failures by apologising to his fellows in the gay community. His past words have stigmatised and poured scorn on us all. He now has a golden opportunity to put right the offence he has caused by publically distancing himself from Catholic teaching on sexuality.

1. I’m not holding my breath.

2. I’m not sure O’Brien can put right any of the harm he’s done.

By extension, neither can ben16 and the RCC in general.

The very concept of delayed gratification in favor of pie in the sky is inhumane and unnatural, and many of us who bought into it for one reason or another are scarred by our attempts to be ‘saintly’.

22. If the apology was meant to include me as one of those “whom I [O’Brien] have offended” then he can shove it. His apology is meaningless if he continues to hold and promote homophobic views – regardless of how internalised that homophobia may be.

23. Tom Cotner 25 Feb 2013, 3:37pm

Typical R. C. Bull s***.

24. ..this has got to be the most disgusting hypocritical load of shit in the whole World!! I’m serious, regarding the Catholic Church. They’re liars and deceivers and hide behind a pretentious, ugly frame of a freak show! Le’s be honest they have the audacity to oppose homosexuality and look what they get up to!

25. Cardinal Fang 25 Feb 2013, 3:51pm

Scene 1 – INT (dark)

YOUNG PRIEST: Father, isn’t it a bit late for prayers?
    CARDINAL: Kneel, boy!

26. Yet another example of the Catholic church attempting through “nunc pro tunc” to cover up a nasty scandal….until it was revealed by the Observer. Then they dropped him like a hot brick and his delayed resignation became instant. The Vatican is the prime example of a “whited sepulchre”!

27. O’Brian is a disgrace to the Roman Catholic church and to the whole worldwide Christian community. He has hidden his actions under the cloak of biggotry and his own guilt and loathing of himself has, do doubt, fueled his venom agains the gay community.
    He shoiuld not hve been allowed to resign; he should have been well and truly booted out of the church.
    Well done, Archbishop, you have done a great service to the worldwid gay community.

1. Paul Halsall 26 Feb 2013, 5:15pm

Umm, The Church at its best is about forgiveness. I despise O’Brien’s homophobia, but also much of the vindictiveness in the comments here.

28. Paul Brownsey 25 Feb 2013, 4:24pm

“Cardinal Keith O’Brien, Britain’s most senior Roman Catholic, who has been accused of inappropriate behaviour with male priests.”

They don’t have any other sort of priest!

29. john lyttle 25 Feb 2013, 4:30pm

How can the Catholic Church even pretend to moral authority? And how can Catholics stomach the shameless hypocrisy of their ‘betters’ ?

30. As a Gay catholic i am sickened by all this….these perverts are killing my religion….i’m so ashamed….

1. SO DUMP THE BLOODY LOT AND LEAVE IT TO THE LOT OF THEM

“RELIGION IS FOR PRIESTS” ..(QUENTIN CRISP)

I DUMPED IT MID -MASS ONE SUMMER’s MORNING 52 YEARS AGO; JUST GOT UP AND LEFT THE BUILDING.

THERE IS YOU AND GOD.
      NONE OF THIS POMPOUS NONSENSE, ADORATION OF CELEBRITIES, FANCY VESTMENTS, TALL HATS AND BIG BUSINESS IS WORTH A HOOT.

KEITH.
      SALFORD

1. why do i get so many – as i said i was ashamed for all this….

2. John: I am a Christian but not Catholic. I was reminded of our Lord’s words “on this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it”. If your religion is the truth then rest assured that nothing will kill it. Just trust in God.

31. GingerlyColors 25 Feb 2013, 5:36pm

The Pope, now Cardinal O’Brien, it’s been a good month! Because of O’Brien’s resignation Britain will not be represented when Cardinals gather in the Vatican to choose their next Pope. It this is going to be the case then the Vatican will definately have no right to interfere in British affairs, especially when it comes to marriage equality.

1. casparthegood 25 Feb 2013, 6:18pm

Why should the head of a foreign state have any say in this country anyway

32. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Feb 2013, 6:09pm

Oh what a tangled web they weave,
    when first they practise to deceive.

33. I’m a gay Roman Catholic. I’d be interested in seeing the source where Benedict refers to gay people as “defections of human nature”. As I understand it, Catholic teachings only pronounce against homosexual acts, meaning a gay person can not be said to be himself defective.

34. George Broadhead 25 Feb 2013, 9:16pm

Let’s hope that this vile bigot gets his comeuppance

35. gregipohThe man always has been full of hatred, ironically not just against 'out' gays but hatred for himself. A bigoted mess (at that copper James Anderton would have said "swirling round in a cesspit of his own making". The next problem is that the Vati 26 Feb 2013, 4:39am

The man always has been full of hatred, ironically not just against ‘out’ gays but hatred for himself. A bigoted mess (at that copper James Anderton would have said “swirling round in a cesspit of his own making”.

The next problem is that the Vatican claims that all the new allegations about gay orgies, power groups and blackmail are unfounded. So, exactly why are they refusing to make public their investigation into this?

36. Frank Boulton 26 Feb 2013, 8:05am

My Orthodox mother always taught me, “When you point the finger of blame at someone else, you’re pointing three fingers at yourself.”

With this episode over, let’s hope that the LGBTI community will treat Cardinal Keith O’Brien better than his fellow Catholic clergy will.

But let’s note, when we do it, it’s homosexuality and an “abomination”, but when he does it, it’s “inappropriate behaviour”. It’s just like when they’re attracted to someone, it’s “love” but when we do it it’s “lust”.

37. Turns out he was a “defection” of his own religion!

38. Calton Hill Cardinal 4 Mar 2013, 11:55pm

We have all experienced the fear of facing our own sexuality at some stage in our lives. A very personal experience. I would not seek to denegrate one so ostenibly powerful in the Catholic institution, but so weak in his own personal worth. A very sad old man who will punish himself for the rest of his days – no doubt in some luxurious knackers yard for fallen priests. For the gay community, vindication that these bigots will never champion. they will die, but we will move from strength to strength