Tory local chairwoman from PM’s constituency resigns over his support for equal marriage

1. Well, looks like his plan to flush the party of bigots is working then!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 24 Feb 2013, 8:15pm

Not fast enough, yet no MP has resigned. I wonder why given the spurious rhetoric and claims before the vote on February 5th.

2. “The Oxford Dictionary defines marriage as the joining together of a man and a woman. It’s the same in the Bible”.

I’m sure she realises that definitions of words are updated over time and she can hardly expect the Oxford Dictionary to base the definition of words on the Bible!

I wonder just exactly how many gay people she has spoken to? Probably not many, definitely not “most gay people” and possibly none at all! Whatever the number of gay people she has spoken to, they’re not representative of “most gay people” as she puts it. Unless she’s completely unintelligent she would realise that, so she’s lying.

She thinks that she’s not “anti-gay people”!!! Most bigots claim that they’re not homophobic but that’s just a reflection of their hypocrisy.

3. A 64 year old Christian from Chipping Norton used to be the dictionary definition of a Conservative. Now it’s not.

Every time one of these stories pops up I just think, “dah dah dah dah, another one bites the dust.”

4. Robert in S. Kensington 24 Feb 2013, 7:56pm

Who really cares? Tory councillors don’t have any influence and thankfully, don’t sit in Parliament. Good riddance. The equal marriage bill is the laxative the Tory party sorely needs to flush them out for good. Now lets hear it from some of the MPs in opposition. Why haven’t any of them resigned? Power hungry perhaps?

1. LOL @ the brilliant “laxative” description!! Though, it makes me think of diarrhea unfortunately. I suppose the Tory Taliban is the party’s verbal diarrhea that needs flushed out.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 24 Feb 2013, 8:14pm

I remember that other word in the late 50s…the ‘squits’…oops now I’ve given away my age. Notice the age of these Tory blowhards, usually in their 60s or older who are resigning, although there are a few younger ones I’d like to see throw the towel in. They all suffer from acute diarrhoea of the mouth not just the back door. The Tory party has it in abundance, but I’m glad we’re seeing them slowly leave. The haemorrhaging though hasn’t been as swift as I’d like, miniscule in fact, contrary to what the likes of that ugly, deeply closeted religious nutter self-loathing Widdecombe and her ilk were ruminating before, during and after the consultation.

1. Jacob Rees-Mogg has a terrible case of the squits. He’s one of many Tory MPs that are Talibanesque. As I’ve said in another post, they’re quite happy remaining Tory MPs whilst “taking their whip” from the Vatican or the Anglican hierarchy rather than their own party. Councillors might be resigning with apparent ease, but Tory MPs wouldn’t want to put their re-election chances in danger by sitting as independent MPs. They claim that same-sex marriage will have damaging effects on society, but clearly they don’t believe that it will be damaging enough for them to resign from a party led by a PM who appears determined to push through the legislation. John Major used to have a word for such MPs. “Bastards” I think it was! LOL.

1. Is he the one descended from the slave owners, reported elsewhere today?

Yes, thought so.

5. “I’m not anti-gay people at all. I fully agree with civil partnership rights. But most gay people will tell you that’s all they wanted and they don’t want gay marriage.”

She clearly hasn’t read the consultation results. Wasn’t it 90-something percent of the responses from homosexual people approved of marriage?
    And can I also suggest that no, she does not approve of civil partnerships. She would probably be one of the first in line to support banning them, were the notion ever to be put to parliament.

1. She’s clearly a stupid ignorant bitch, if I’m allowed to say so. Oh, just did!

2. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Feb 2013, 1:29pm

CPs have been a very useful weapon in the Tory opposition’s arsenal as well as for the religious nutters. Had they been introduced now, they would all be opposed to them, make no mistake about that. All of a sudden, they think they’re wonderful because equal marriage is on the table and likely to become law. They’re not very good at lying are they? I also suspect that those gays who don’t want marriage aren’t gay at all, probably straight people pretending to be. Funny how none of them have actually spoken out or shown their faces. I’ve not seen the BBC interview with just one of them, has anyone? Why leave it to the likes of Maunders, Ann Widdecombe, Sharon James, and Colin Hart to speak for them?

6. DivusAntinous 24 Feb 2013, 8:30pm

Once again I am overjoyed. I have family in Witney who will be rather glad too. lol

7. “But most gay people will tell you that’s all they wanted and they don’t want gay marriage.”

Is that the new mantra of bigots who oppose marriage equality? gay people don’t want it anyway?
    Newsflash for Cicely Maunder: No, most gay people aren’t happy with the back seats on the bus. Thank you for nothing.

8. Daft woman – wonder when she last looked up ‘marriage’ in the OED? Here’s what it actually says:

“Definition of marriage
    noun
    1.the formal union of a man and a woman, typically as recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife:
    she has three children from a previous marriage
    [mass noun] the state of being married:
    women want equality in marriage
    (in some jurisdictions) a union between partners of the same sex.”……So now she can rejoin the Tories:-)…(http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/marriage)

9. Bill Cameron 24 Feb 2013, 9:39pm

It works both ways. I resigned from the Conservative Party as long ago as 2001, within days of Iain Duncan Smith being elected leader. Like the lovely lady this article is about, I too have usually not voted in all elections since then (I could not stomach voting for Labour or even the LibDems, any more than I could the other fringe outfits). If the Conservative ‘heartland’ still don’t get why the Party is unlikely to win an overall majority any time soon (or ever) if they continue to oppose the clear trend of opinion in the country then it is they who will consign it to oblivion, no one else. The age of this lady is perhaps a clue to the problem.

I remain instinctively a Conservative however and certainly support the efforts of Cameron and Osborne and some other like-thinkers to modernise the Party, as well as begin to put right the mess that the Labour government left the country in when it left office in 2010 (just as it did in 1979).

1. You’re entitled to your opinion of course. Despite Cameron’s bravery in standing-up to the Tory traditionalists in respect of same-sex marriage and his unwillingness to back down (which deserves credit), he along with Osborne and Duncan-Smith have oppressed the disabled, treating many who are genuinely unable to work as ‘skivers’ and ‘scroungers’ who, as Osborne claims, have “the blinds down whilst their neighbours go out to work”. It would suggest that the most vulnerable, who can be most easily targeted, have to pay for the bankers’ mistakes whilst the bankers, along with other millionaires, enjoy tax cuts of tens of thousands of pounds. Many in the LGBT community cannot stomach a Government that oppresses a section of society who cannot help being what they are.

1. Bill Cameron 25 Feb 2013, 7:59am

Thanks so much for your magnanimity in accepting that I have a right to my opinion ;) Save you leftist claptrap for a more receptive audience – people who accept that the appalling treatment the NHS far too often metes out to its ‘supplicants’ (i.e. the people who pay the bills and NHS staff salaries!) as the price we pay for having a mediocre healthcare service that far too many still claim (falsely) is “the envy of the world” – which it most certainly is not.

1. I was only responding to your “instinctively Conservative” opinion, which I said you are of course entitled to. I didn’t mean the comment about your right to an opinion or my post in general to be insulting or offensive to you personally, it was only to be critical (or a rant, whichever way you want to look at it) of the Conservative Party. I am, like anyone contributing here, entitled to an opinion and that includes criticising the Conservative Party. Unfortunately, you describe that opinion as “leftist claptrap”!

You mentioned that you resigned from the Conservative Party in 2001. I guess that means you were a party member during the time it supported the Clause 28 law.

2. Sorry. What I meant to say was that my mother is 80 and she is in favour of marriage equality…

2. ‘put right the mess that the Labour government left the country in when it left office in 2010′

If you mean the financial position, then funnily enough Osborne promised to not only match, but increase planned public spending – after 10 years of Labour rule and less than 3 years before becoming Chancellor. So perhaps more the unforeseen financial crash then that caused the problem.

1. Bill Cameron 25 Feb 2013, 8:08am

People who know anything about how modern economies work and the perilous fiscal policies being pursued both in the UK and the US in particular, fuelling an unsupported credit boom (which borrowers eagerly signed up for), could see as early as 2003 the way things were likely to end (I certainly did). I agree that Cameron/Osborne signed up to many of the crazier Labour economic policies in the years before 2007/2008, a foolish short-sighted policy, but in the harsh world of mass politics where people want to be elected they must tell the electorate what they want to hear and what the electorate have been encouraged to want to hear (by both major political parties) for far too long is that year-on-year improvements in living standards can be had without a lot hard work, as if for the asking. The mess Labour had once again got the country into by 2010 with its usual fantasy economic policies will take a lot longer than 3, 5, 10 or 15 years to sort out.

2. Jock S. Trap 25 Feb 2013, 10:08am

“Osborne did though make great play about keeping the UK AAA rating – another resounding success of his.”

I think we’ve done well to keep the AAA rating up til now because I do believe that had Labour remained and spent more money the country didn’t have we would have lost it well before now.

If spending our way out of debt was a wise move Greece would be bailing out Germany but it is proof that spending doesn’t work either.

Truth is whoever got in power would have problems with our economy. I guess it’s how we deal with it best. Sadly Siliband and Balls-Up were at the heart of the whole crisis With Brown when it was engulfing the UK. They failed to deal with it.

I do question, though if the economy is as bad as forecast due the fact that more money is coming into the country and employment rising….

1. Jock S. Trap 25 Feb 2013, 10:11am

Going back to what this story is about though let’s not forget that had Gordon Brown won the last election we wouldn’t even be having the marriage bill going through as he did not support it at the time of the last general election.

We quite possibly would have had to wait many more years, so for that fact I do support David Cameron.

10. “A 64 year old Christian from Chipping Norton” – That really says it all!!!
    Just the people Cameron is trying to rid the Conservative party of – and they know it!!
    As the BBC’s Nick Robinson has said previously, they are the dragon their leader has decided to slay.
    Telling she now describes herself as a non voter – there’s no other mainstream party to accomodate her views.

1. I’m sure the BNP would welcome her, but perhaps they’re not quite respectable enough for a 64 year old Christian from Chipping Norton. She’s probably more suited to UKIP. However, as she describes herself as a non-voter, she’s decided to huff with a “I’m not playing anymore” attitude. Good! May she enjoy her retirement in oblivion – one less bigot at the polling stations :-)

11. These stories sound more and more like satire. This one’s a character straight out of central casting – I’m not sure any more whether I’m reading PinkNews or The Onion.

12. Piss off you sad old bat. The world and the Tory party doesn’t revolve around ;you In a year’s time nobody will remember you, what you did or why you did it.

13. If Clueless Cicely had bothered to read P.14 of ‘A Contract for Equalities’ published by the Tories before the last election she’d have seen this:-

“We will also consider the case for changing the law to allow civil partnerships to be called and classified as marriage.”

So it certainly didn’t pop up from nowhere.

The Tories in Witney are now a bit less nasty !

14. shes 64 i doubt she has met many gay people at all!

15. One less bigot. If she thinks she’s sending a message by her quitting and that her ignorance towards marriage equality is welcome, she is surely mistaken.

16. I’m sorry, but 64 is not an excuse. 84 maybe. Homosexuality was legalised over 45 years ago in England.

1. James – your comment smacks of ageism – there are many lesbian & gay people still around who are older than 84. Male homosexuality was legalised in 1967 but there were action groups, as well as social groups around long before then, and women had been meeting in separate groups such as Kenric for quite a while too.
      In this case, I doubt if this woman has spoken to (m)any gay people to come up with the claim that we don’t want equal marraige. Although many of us don’t want it personally, it’s still important that it’s available to same sex marriage and civil partnership should be available to opposite sex couples too.
      And it’s a pity that she didn’t check out the dictionary before quoting it!

1. Rubyfruit, I’m guessing you were replying to James and not me, since your comment supports mine. As someone not so far off 64 myself, i find the idea that being 64 iwould be a valid excuse for utterly old-fashioned attitudes utterly unacceptable.

2. Oi! my mother is pro marriage equality and she is in favour of marriage equality.

17. Most Christians who are like Cicely Maunders don’t really want to be involved in the political sphere at all, they would be a lot happier within the confines of a high security religious institution where everyone observes the religious doctrine of that particular sect.

18. Jock S. Trap 25 Feb 2013, 9:58am

Good riddance then and lets hope it makes way for someone more educated.

This can only be good for the party to get rid of the tatty bigots.

19. As has been pointed out above, the OED has moved with the times (unlike this woman) and now includes (in some jurisdictions) a union between partners of the same sex.

And has been pointed out at wearisome length many times before, the Bible doesn’t define marriage (the Book of Common Prayer may do, but obviously it’s not the same thing), as should be perfectly evident from the many many polygynous unions referred to in the OT.

“Christian”, my arse.

20. Frank Boulton 25 Feb 2013, 11:49am

I’ve just looked up “marriage” in the Oxford English Dictionary and the version that I consulted says that in some jurisdictions can refer to the union of a same-sex couple. However, no matter how hard I search, I can’t find a definition of marriage in the Bible.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Feb 2013, 1:17pm

The word ‘marriage’ doesn’t even appear in the bible nor is there any marriage ritual in it. I recall one reference to a wedding in Canaa where Jesus is alleged to have turned water into wine but that’s it.

21. what a pity, but i guess i can cope