New York: Gay man attacked on subway and called ‘faggot’ as other passengers look on

1. Spread the word out, NYC is a small world we can find those idiot females some how. Untop of that many people didnt intervene scared that they would get their asses beat too. This should appear in wwyd.

2. DivusAntinous 20 Feb 2013, 7:32pm

Urgh. Disgusting.
    How cowardly, how could all of the other passengers do absolutely nothing?

1. Fear – how often would you, on your own, challenge 6 people who’ve already beaten up 2 others? Like everyone else I’d like to think I would, but I have no way of knowing just how confrontational I’d be if faced with a similar situation. Gangs are frightening.

1. It is also the mentality of United Statesmen to look the other way.

1. I doubt such a generalisation can be made of 300m+ people.

3. This behavior is disgusting. Even if you are against gay people, this is uncalled for. What’s even worse is that nobody helped. If I was by myself I wouldn’t know what to do but there was most likely a whole train full of people that could have helped. Just disgusting.

4. If I ever visit NY again as a tourist I’m sticking to taxis! But then as a tourist I can, couldn’t do that to get to work if I lived there!
    Surely you guys have CCTV there? Where are the photos of this? Someone else must have video’d the assault on a phone, even if they didn’t intervene.
    Fact is, there won’t/can’t be any police response without a lead and evidence, which means without photos or CCTV footage these people have gotten away with it!

1. We don’t have CCTV on the vast majority of streets or in the subway cars.

2. TheBrutalKremlin 21 Feb 2013, 9:50am

Oh PLEASE. 10 million people, 4 had a fight. The subways are fine.

5. I have to wonder if the gay couple did not provoke the incident. Just asking. It seems odd that people would just attack them for no reason other than being gay. I don’t think we’re getting the whole story.

1. You are the problem Miss, your automatic assumption that the gay people provoked the situation tries to point the blame on the victims and normalize the situation. You are just as morally backwards as the attackers. If this happened in Canada those women and man would have been beat by all the bystanders.

2. Katie kool-eyes 20 Feb 2013, 9:17pm

Actually, people have been known to attack others they even perceive as gay. It’s not as uncommon as you think. This is why homophobia is still clearly an issue and needs to be stamped out.

I hope they catch the nasty people who did this, and best wishes to the two men who bore the brunt of it all.

Ps: Shame on the other passengers for not helping someone in need!

3. What, you think that ignorant homophobic pricks need a damn rational reason to attack two people based solely on their sexuality.
      Someone clearly needs a reality check, me thinks.
      I’ve witnessed crap like this far too often, and not just because said person being gay, but based on their skin colour, disability and just looking a little different ‘to the norm’.
      I’m so sick of this. Something one would expect in a school yard. Not by adults on a subway.

4. We do seem to be attracting homophobic pricks much more than usual.

I think David Burrows is to blame frankly, he’s whipped up a lot of homophobia against people who happen to be gay, and encouraged then to attack us.

5. Staircase2 21 Feb 2013, 4:19pm

@Nikki H

It’s what happens to people…
      Homophobia causes violence – it doesn’t have to be ’caused’ by anything else

The fact that they were called ‘faggot’ demonstrates the homophobia of the women involved

Bless you, but your post tells us more about who YOU are than it tells us about the incident itself..

6. this is frightening and disgusting, I thought New York was a place of progressive thought, obviously not.

1. Mostly it is just like London, there are vile backward people everywhere, I had to sit and listen to 3 girls and a boy saying gays should be killed and quoting the bible on the DLR, I wanted to say something but didn’t know what would have happened, its a scary situation when your alone faced with that.

7. Disgusting!

8. I wonder what the ethnicity of these vermin is?

1. What does that matter what ethnicity they are? Hate is hate. What they did was horrifying. They need to be locked up.

1. Spanner1960 21 Feb 2013, 8:18am

Well for one thing it would be easier to identify the perpetrators.
        Newspapers are always reluctant to reveal ethnicity for fear of some PC backlash accusation of racism.

1. Trust Spanner to pipe up.

The victim was black by the way…I bet you feel much better knowing it wasn’t one of your own.

1. Spanner1960 23 Feb 2013, 6:06pm

Just because the victim was black doesn’t mean the perpetrators were not. Police describe them as a light-skinned black woman in her early 20s who and was wearing gray sweatpants, and a dark-skinned man, also in his early 20s, wearing a blue jacket.

Or am I still being racist?

2. I’m afraid this question if the elephant in the room, we all know which ethnicity the majority of physical abuse comes from on the streets but its not PC to say.

9. Michael Heynz 20 Feb 2013, 10:15pm

Bishop Desmond Tutu: If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor

1. Leonardo Ricardo 20 Feb 2013, 11:21pm

(or you are just a old fashioned irresponsible coward and spiritual deadbeat)…simple, the only thing different these days are the oppressor/bigots are speaking out instead of whispering their vile hate and lies.

10. what two vile old bags

11. A similar incident happened to me one time. I was sitting in the train minding my own business when two guys assaulted me and threatened to kill me, though the issue was religion rather than sexuality. They decided for no reason that I must have been the ‘opposite’ religion to them (this is in Northern Ireland I’m talking about). They asked what religion I was, whilst my neck was ‘locked’ inside one of their arms and my head pressed against the window. Fortunately I answered ‘correctly’ – I just had to guess what I thought the ‘correct’ answer was – otherwise my head would probably have been smashed through the window. There were other passengers in the carriage. They didn’t even look; instead they all pretended that nothing was happening, just as the other passengers did in the NYC case. I suppose that they were also very frightened. However, it would have been kind of one of them to have asked me afterwards if I was alright.

12. Sadly I’m not surprised no one did anything. The world it seems is still ignorant to the fact that not everyone is heterosexual, and not many people stand up for the minority in society today :-( shame on those people who did nothing – cowards!

1. Not many want to stand up to a group of 6 riled-up minority youths (it’s clear from American reporting), while the train is going through rough neighborhoods. I bet people were afraid those “kids” had concealed weapons (guns or – most likely – knives).

2. TheBrutalKremlin 21 Feb 2013, 9:49am

sounds like there’s more to the story…

13. This link is a little off topic for this story, but it is another example of conflicts when riding on the NYC subway. filmed by another rider, It highlights the exchange between a homophobic preacher and a gay man who finally confronted him on his rantings!

1. Great video, what a fantastically brave man.

14. TheBrutalKremlin 21 Feb 2013, 9:48am

Fact: women instigate the majority of fag bashings in inner cities.

Enjoy your marriage equality backlash. It could have been handled very differently. Get a gun.

15. The apathy of the other travelers sounds like a classic example of the ‘bystander effect’ to me, an example of how people are far more likey to intervene in a situation where they’re the sole witness than if they’re in a group, as in the famous case of Kitty Genovese:
    “The lack of reaction of numerous neighbors watching the scene prompted research into diffusion of responsibility and the bystander effect. Social psychologists John Darley and Bibb Latané started this line of research, showing that contrary to common expectations, larger numbers of bystanders decrease the likelihood that someone will step forward and help a victim. The reasons include the fact that onlookers see that others are not helping either, that onlookers believe others will know better how to help, and that onlookers feel uncertain about helping while others are watching. The Kitty Genovese case thus became a classic feature of social psychology textbooks.”

16. Darren Theoret 21 Feb 2013, 11:03am

In New York City? No one intervened? I’m shocked!

17. Hey, this is NYC we’re talking about! If it were a 4 year old child, no one would help! I also know if it were Boston no one would help from personal experience.

18. Staircase2 21 Feb 2013, 4:16pm