20 February 2013Hopeful for papal office: ‘African traditions protect against homosexual tendency’ 66 The cardinal who many sources have named as favourite to become the next Pope, has said in an interview that he thinks African culture "protects against" homosexuality.
20 February 2013US: Washington DC bill could make legal birth certificate gender alterations easier 1 A bill introduced on Tuesday could make it easier for transgender residents of Washington DC to legally alter the gender on their birth certificate, by eliminating the need for a court order to do so.
20 February 2013Comment: The biggest challenge LGBT face is other people’s language 25 LGBT youth volunteer Thomas Wales writes for PinkNews on the need for society to do more to stamp out homophobic language.
20 February 2013UK: Equalities minister writes to Iain Duncan Smith after HIV positive man left feeling ‘ashamed’ at job centre 64 Equalities Minister Helen Grant has written to Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith after a gay HIV positive man in her Maidstone constituency was left humiliated by staff at a job centre.
20 February 2013US: Former first lady Laura Bush and former Vice President Dick Cheney to star in equal marriage ads 4 A media campaign in support of same-sex marriage will feature President Barack Obama, ex-first lady Laura Bush and ex-Vice President Dick Cheney.
20 February 2013Registrars should not have to marry gay couples says Tory MP David Burrowes 76 Tory MP David Burrowes, who last week accused PinkNews of “fomenting hostility” against the opponents of equal marriage, also believes registrars should not have to marry gay couples.
20 February 2013Tony Perkins: ‘The Boy Scouts should have a policy like Don’t Ask Don’t Tell’ 13 The President of the Family Research Council, Tony Perkins has again voiced his opinion that the Boy Scouts of America should leave intact its ban on gay volunteers members and staff, saying that a policy similar to the repealed ban on openly gay people serving int he military would be appropriate.
20 February 2013UK: Islam Channel TV presenter said homosexuality was an ‘evil action’ 20 Evidence has emerged of a presenter on the Islam Channel previously describing homosexuality as an "evil action” – with Ofcom subsequently warning the TV station of the need to take “great care” when “discussing sensitive issues such as sexual orientation”.
20 February 2013Oxfordshire: ‘Bible-believing’ Tory councillor defects to UKIP over same-sex marriage 30 Oxfordshire local councillor, David Silvester has resigned from the Conservative Party because of David Cameron's decision to introduce same-sex marriage.
20 February 2013Kelly Clarkson says bisexual producer Clive Davis bullied her and his memoir was ‘mixed up’ 3 Singer songwriter Kelly Clarkson, has hit out at bisexual record executive Clive Davis, who produced some of her music, saying that he "bullied" her, and said she was a "sh*tty writer".
20 February 2013Comment: The dark side of gay dating sites 57 Although gay dating sites provide a useful platform in allowing men to meet each other, Christopher Halton writes for PinkNews of how they can also put some gay men at risk.
20 February 2013Poll: 59% of Americans oppose the Defense of Marriage Act 4 A new poll has found that almost two thirds of Americans registered to vote oppose the Defense of Marriage Act, and that just over half support equal marriage for same-sex couples.
20 February 2013US: Hepatitis C in HIV positive gay men at an all-time high 6 Researchers at the Fenway Institute in Boston have discovered hepatitis C among HIV positive gay men in the US is at an all-time high.
20 February 2013US: Poll shows that half of Illinois residents support equal marriage + A poll of Illinois residents has found that half of people living in the state supported a bill to legalise equal marriage, with the percentage in opposition to it much lower.
20 February 2013Labour MP Steve Reed: Gordon Brown was ‘wrong’ not to support same-sex marriage as PM 15 In an exclusive interview with PinkNews.co.uk, Steve Reed, Labour's newly elected MP for Croydon North, says Gordon Brown's failure to support marriage equality as PM and Labour leader is a source of regret.
20 February 2013Irish Education Minister: ‘Education plays a key role in tackling homophobia and transphobia’ 13 The Irish Minister for Education, Ruairí Quinn today opened a European Union conference on homophobic and transphobic bullying in schools, and emphasised the importance education plays in reducing such prejudice.
20 February 2013Comments featuring the word ‘gay’ mysteriously disappear off Gillette UK’s Facebook page 44 Men’s shaving and grooming giant Gillette has launched an investigation after a PinkNews reader complained that non-offensive comments featuring the word “gay” were being erased from the company’s UK Facebook page.
20 February 2013Australia: Christian youth camp appeals against discrimination ruling 5 A Christian youth camp which was ordered to pay damages for discriminating against a gay youth support charity in 2010 when it refused to accept its booking, has begun an appeal against the court's ruling.
20 February 2013Russian Foreign Ministry ‘seriously worried’ to learn of orphan adopted by lesbian 11 Russian officials have voiced concern over a boy adopted by an American lesbian couple, saying his situation is "morally dubious".
20 February 2013Italian centre-right party says ‘Vote with your heart, not with your ass’ 2 Candidates of Italy’s centre-right party, Fratelli d’Italia, have been criticised for making a homophobic political advertisement on YouTube - which has now been removed.
Articles from 20 February 2013
- US: Boy Scouts council to vote on lifting ban on gay members+
- US church tells PinkNews: Equal marriage is to blame for violent Woolwich murder4
- US Boy Scouts President: Allowing gay boy scouts would be ‘the right decision’+
- Peter Tatchell: ‘I may disagree with David Cameron on austerity, but on equal marriage I salute him’+
- Ukraine: Gay pride rally cancelled by court for fear that it will spark violence+
- Cornwall: Tory deputy chair Sarah Newton defends abstaining in equal marriage Commons vote11
- Sir Gerald Howarth: ‘I should have used ‘militant’ rather than ‘aggressive’ to describe the ‘homosexuality community’31
- Lib Dem MP John Pugh criticised for voting against equal marriage bill — Simon Hughes and Tim Fallon abstained16
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends ‘aggressive homosexual community’ equal marriage slur57
- Columnist Richard Godwin: Does Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth ‘dream that everyone in Soho wants to bum him?’10
- US church blames Woolwich suspected terror killing on UK acceptance of gay people46
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur 57
- David Cameron called 'marriage wrecker' and warned of 'long battle' over equal marriage in House of Lords47
- Seven amusing and shocking things we learned during the equal marriage debate7
- Columnist Richard Godwin: Does Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth 'dream that everyone in Soho wants to bum him?' 10
- Sir Gerald Howarth: 'I should have used 'militant' rather than 'aggressive' to describe the 'homosexuality community'31
- US church blames Oklahoma tornado on gay basketball player Jason Collins56
- Canada lifts lifetime ban on gay men giving blood, but they can only donate if celibate for five years24
- US radio host: Employers should be allowed to discriminate against gays who 'display their lifestyle'45
- Lib Dem MP John Pugh criticised for voting against equal marriage bill -- Simon Hughes and Tim Fallon abstained16
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault141
- Government considers watered down same-sex marriage bill to minimise Tory rebellion133
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage'94
- France: Far right activist commits suicide in Notre Dame following legalisation of equal marriage93
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'73
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples68
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has 'f**** things up' with his equal marriage bill66
- David Cameron: Gay teenagers will stand that bit taller following equal marriage vote62
- Lib Dem Deputy Leader Simon Hughes: 'Marriage should be between one man and one woman'58
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur57
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage