Rapper Azealia Banks attacks GLAAD for criticism over calling Perez Hilton a ‘faggot’

1. Liam the God 19 Feb 2013, 3:00pm

Is she looking to piss off EVERY Gay/Trans/Bisexual person in the Western World or what? Someone stop giving this mindless trollop the oxygen of publicity, or better yet (to borrow from the late Linda Smith) The Oxygen of OXYGEN!

2. People have such short memories – especially those from ethnic minorities. Can you imagine the outcry if someone had used racially insulting words towards the uber-talented Ms B?

3. She doesn’t have a very good grasp of the English language, does she? GLAAD are hypocrites? Faggot means a backstabbing person? To paraphrase Inigo Montoya;

“You keep using these words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.”

4. I question is shes really Bi.

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Feb 2013, 3:40pm

I’m hoping she means bye bye and fail back into the cave she crawled out from.

2. Bisexuals don’t need to prove that they’re bi.

1. ...Paddyswurds 19 Feb 2013, 9:44pm

Bisexuals are like Agnostics, Phuckin cowards.. .. .. ..

1. theotherhalf 20 Feb 2013, 11:16am

and you’re an idiot

1. ...Paddyswurds 20 Feb 2013, 9:45pm

That’s bloody rich coming from you….an illiterate intellectually bereft homophobe and racist bigot who thinks it’s a woman.

5. That There Other David 19 Feb 2013, 3:31pm

Another “it’s all about ME!!” oik that thinks freedom of speech is a one-way responsibility-free street outbound from her own gob. If she can’t cope with the resulting criticism then she should put her brain into first gear before tip-tapping these comments into her mobile.

1. Liam the God 19 Feb 2013, 3:35pm

we’ve all encountered someone that thinks “Freedom of Speech” really means “I have the right to rant about stuff and YOU HAVE TO LISTEN!”. I think her emotional development halted at around age 12: “You all hate me and I’m the only one that’s right!”.

1. 12? You’re more generous than I am there.

1. Liam the God 19 Feb 2013, 5:05pm

My generosity is my main failing ;) *massages Ego behind the sofa….*

6. Jock S. Trap 19 Feb 2013, 3:37pm

Time for this person to fall from fame faster than her rise.

1. And get some support and education, I’d add too. Her immaturity and inability to deal with things as an adult is shocking.

1. Jock S. Trap 19 Feb 2013, 4:40pm

Quite!!

7. Goodness, I thought her stupid before, now she’s taking herself to a whole new level. What an incoherent, mindless rant!

I’d so love to know just how cool she’d be if someone white (preferably from one of the southern US states) were to call her a “nigger”. (She’d probably just retort with another barrage of obscenities, it seems her chosen method of communicating.)

1. Agreed – and for all her mouthiness what I see is a young woman way out of her depth and resorting to abuse and aggression verbally because of it. I feel sorry for her to some extent. She’s immature and finding fame so early is clearly something she’s struggling to deal with. Her big mouth is hiding her own insecurity, in my opinion.

1. As usual you’re more generously-inclined than I am, Iris – I just think of all those silly people who’ll be influenced by this wretched girl’s confused and irresponsible babblings, and it makes me very cross indeed.

1. Oh, I’m cross too, Rehan – very much so – and you’re absolutely right about her possibly influencing people. But – blame the teacher in me – I suppose she just reminds me of so many angry, hurt children I’ve dealt with.

Not that she’s a child now, but her immaturity and aggressive manner (in speech) reminds me of so many other teens and young people. She looks like she has problems and her management should be helping her – for all of our sakes, including her own.

2. ...Paddyswurds 19 Feb 2013, 9:48pm

Fame? More like infamy….

2. de Villiers 19 Feb 2013, 4:09pm

She really is an American and not a Frenchwoman.

1. Incontrovertible. But aren’t there female [c]rap “artistes” — [c]rapeuses? — in France? Or is it just that they’re less foul-mouthed and ignorant?

2. de Villiers 20 Feb 2013, 5:11pm

The latter – a French woman really would not speak so badly – even the French urban musicians. The swearing with no elegance seems to be very American.

There are plenty of rapeuses!

8. I’m afraid she is just not very bright but enormously stubborn and self-centered.

9. Sister Mary Clarence 19 Feb 2013, 3:49pm

“For some reason this word faggot is still so offensive, it’s just strange to see why. There are all kinds of people who are against the N-word in hip hop music …..

Kinda smacks of double standards sweetie. Talking negatively about what other people do in the third person, and then when it comes to it, is okay with the homophobic slur faggot, but can’t bring herself to use the actual racist slur, and softens it to ‘N-word’.

I suppose it gets her headlines ….

10. “Why are all these other things like murder and sex and violence and all these other things accepted, but as soon as I call one gay white man a faggot….”

Firstly, murder etc isn’t accepted; neither is violence; and sex? Why did that appear there?? I’m guessing she opened her mouth without engaging her brain.

Secondly, I’m far from a fan of Perez Hilton, but the colour of his skin is irrelevant, and her attempt to cry ‘racism’ is clumsy and ill-thought out.

Although that last adjective would apply to her whole speech…

11. This angry foul-mouth imbecile is a run away train who probably thinks that just because she identifies as bisexual, it gives her the license to use derogatory words on other LGBT people. She’s no role model!

12. Dennis Velco 19 Feb 2013, 4:05pm

All great comments…
    I’ll add that she seems to use the word “Fuck” in the place of “umm”.

12 years old mentality / education.. I agree.. you are gracious.

Thanks for this article and your reporting. What you do is appreciated.

I posted it to my LGBT Group on LinkedIn with over 18,000+ global members to spur members to read your article and to make comment. I also scooped it at Scoop.It on my LGBT Times news mashup.

Link to group >> http://www.linkedin.com/groups/LGBT-Gay-GLBT-Professional-Network-63687/about

All LGBT+ and community allies…. please come join me and 18,000+ of your soon to be great connections on LinkedIn. The member base represents 80% of the world’s countries.

It’s core value is – Visibility can lead to awareness which can lead to equality. Come stand with us and increase our visibility on the globe’s largest professional networking site. Be a professional who just happens to be LGBT – or a welcomed community ally.

13. Ummm attention seeking bore. ‘Oh I say bad things about Gays and I gets to be in the charts’ Seems to be working for her though…..I wonder what would happen is Mr Hilton referred to her using the N word??

14. Marcwebbo3 19 Feb 2013, 4:16pm

She really does come across as very thick and ignorant….hopefully if ignored for long enough will go away

15. She’s an uneducated, spiteful, over-rated, drug addled idiot.

I can’t believe when I was younger I used to listen to these talentless morons – force fed a diet of cultural McDonalds by cr4p TV – cheap, brainless, no goodness in them. Her music, like most hip hop, puts the image of shlt being regurgitated by a parrot into my mind.

16. Mr. Enemabag Jones 19 Feb 2013, 8:39pm

So far Ms. Banks has only called white men faggots. I’d genuinely like to see the blow back she’d experience if she called a black celebrity a faggot. Which is why I’m sure she’ll never do so.

17. If you don’t like what some one says = don’t listen , but she did get her point over and while I would not use the word fagot ( some thing you burn in a fire ) I do think P Hilton is just yuk and there are way more important things than what some youth full singer has to say .

1. Sorry meant to agree with James not report it.

18. ...Paddyswurds 19 Feb 2013, 9:43pm

Another sad attempt to boost record sales a la last time when her record sales went from 2 a week to ten a week . An attempt to stay the inevitable drop from her record label which cannot come soon enough. She is as much a singer as my dog is when he whines if I leave him alone for ten minutes. A vile talentless harridan with some very deep seated issues against Gay people. Methinks she was rejected by a gay man sometime in her sorry ghetto past. I see the ghetto beckoning again for this neverbeen… … …. …..

19. Liam the God 19 Feb 2013, 10:12pm

Another year or so and she will “Find God” and do the chat-show circuit being all pious and weepy. If there’s a “God” I’d advise it to get an injunction out to stop her using “God” as a Get Out Of Jail Free card.

20. “She went on to say that, because she had sex with both men and women, she disagreed with the idea that she was homophobic by insulting gay men by using the word “faggot”.”

Jade Goody wasn’t a racist – one of her grandparents was black, etc.

21. NorthernIrishGuest 19 Feb 2013, 11:16pm

I can’t stand either of these people.

She’s clearly an uneducated prat who is selling records only because she’s using *oh!* dirty language.

He’s a complete nut who made his career being a misogynistic prat who attempted to “out” fellow LGBT people

Neither deserves sympathy in my opinion. He is sowing the seeds of his actions, just as she will!

22. friday jones 19 Feb 2013, 11:23pm

Banks wants the Progressive creds of being bisexual, but because some male rappers use bad words we should let her keep her Progressive creds after using hate speech even though those male rappers didn’t try to appropriate LGBT culture the way Banks does?

Then she uses the “there are more important problems” schtick, the “my freedom of speech” schtick (even though this is not about censorship, it’s about people responding with their own freedom of speech), the Opression Olympics with gay white men, the “oh just fuck it” card, the “there are more important things” schtick AGAIN, the tired old “I’m bisexual so I can act homophobic without consequences” schtick, the “I just don’t have time for this (brouhaha that I started and am fanning the flames of)” schtick, the “I’m going on record with my local newspaper to mention that the media sucks” schtick, and concludes with the “It’s all because I’m a WOMAN” schtick.

I think I have me a Derailing Bingo!

1. Liam the God 20 Feb 2013, 1:22am

Sounds like a load of Schtick to me….

23. She is Crazy – with a capital C.

24. Another loud-mouth bitch who has no clue about what people have had to endure to get the rights and freedoms she has today.

To people like this, there has never been any struggle, they’ve never had to fear being attacked and disowned because of sexuality.

She’s just another ignorant fool who SHOULD have been educated but wasn’t.

25. No surprise at Eli Roth defending her, with his own ugly history of homophobia.