Obituary: PinkNews contributor Stuart Ross

1. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Feb 2013, 3:35pm

I had great respect for Stu, always admired him. He was articulate, knowledgeable about so many things affecting the LGBT community and his comments over the years were always well worth reading, whether one agreed or disagreed. A true champion of equality who died far too soon. I will miss him dearly. Always in my thoughts. Rest in peace, Stu.

2. Shocking. Anyone who looks at readers comments will be aware of his massive, and indeed eloquent and thoughtful, contributions to the site. Very sad news, my thoughts will be with his friends and family.

3. Really sad – RIP, Stu.

4. I think this was the “Stuart” who wrote a great many comments during a period when I was so busy that I only read PinkNews and hardly ever posted. If so, his contributions were indeed eloquent. I’m also aware that no “Stuart” has been commenting here for some time, so perhaps Stuart has been ill for some time? Anyway, it’s touching to observe that Commenters, and in his case Article Writers, don’t just disappear without acknowledgement.

1. ...Paddyswurds 19 Feb 2013, 11:45am

@Eddy…
      ……As far as I’m aware Stu and Stuart were two different people Stuart Ross always commented as Stu.

1. yes… there is a Stuart from Wales who comments once in a while.

5. This is very sad news indeed, Stu was a great contributor to PN, I had many lively debates with him, this is a huge loss, he will be very much missed

Rest in peace Stu

6. Flippng hell. We didn’t always get on but I respected his point of view. RIP Stu you will be missed. x

7. PN is there a memorial fund?

8. Aiden, Karma will fix you good. Shame on you

1. ...Paddyswurds 19 Feb 2013, 11:48am

Please everyone ignore the troll Just mark it down without comment… especially on a thread such as this RIP Stu… …. …

9. What terribly sad news. He was such an articulate man – and someone who could make me stop and think about an issue before agreeing or disagreeing with him. A tremendous man. My thoughts go out to his friends and family. He’ll be missed.

10. I had missed him on here, but thought he must be taking a break for other things. Shocking, sad news.

Stu was a big part of building the PN comments section into one of the most illuminating and insightful LGBT news discussion forums around. His comments were generally thoughtful and temperate, and frequently based on extensive research.

He will be missed by allies and foes alike on here. RIP.

11. “this is what happens to people who mess with nature.”

What they die? Doesn’t that happen to everybody you absolute tit?

It’s very Christian of you to troll an obituary.

12. This is very sad news. Condolences to his family and friends

13. My sincere sympathy to Stu’s family, friends and loved ones.

14. You really are a scumbag “Aiden” aren’t you?

If such a place were to exist I’m sure Stu’s far more likely to be in Heaven right now than a pathetic excuse for a human being like you.

15. Although I only had a small amount of interaction with Stu, his passion was clear for all to see. RIP Stu

16. Sad news.

He was so full of ideas and life on these threads

Condolences to his family and friends

17. How very Christian of you Aiden, to troll an obituary of a very good man with your venom, you must be so proud of yourself.
    I will never understand why good, decent people like Stuart have to die so young whereas vile people like Aiden… it’s just not fair.

Rest in peace Stu, you will be dearly missed.

18. Shocking and very sad.

Rest in peace Stu, you will be dearly missed.

19. Very sad news! My condolences to his friends and family.

I had frequently reflected on Stu’s apparent absence. I missed his voice of reason and rational perspective amongst readers, even those which at times were some what emotional or irrational.

Stu will always be a reflection of the people we respect in life, and yet have never had the opportunity to meet.

20. I am very saddened to read this. Stuart cared passionately for justice and equality. As others have said, he argued eloquently, using the one weapon we have in the fight against oppression – the appeal to reason. I think He and I collided on a few points, but no matter: he cared for the truth and cared to fight and give a voice to the vulnerable, and that is what matters. So sorry to hear this. X

21. Common sense 18 Feb 2013, 9:10pm

Very very sad news. I loved his posts and agreed with him most of the time, which is perhaps why, when I started posting recently, several people erroneously thought I was Stuart.

Rest in peace.

22. You disgusting specimen. I know you’re just striving, in your pathetically childish way, for attention. but even a worm like you should recognise that there are times when you should just shut the fuck up. Creep.

23. Benjamin Cohen 18 Feb 2013, 9:19pm

I have to say that I was very sad to read about the death of Stu. I has been wondering where he had gone as I’d missed his contributions. I wish his family and friends a ‘long life’ (Jewish saying) and I hope that he finds peace x

24. I was very sad to hear of Stu’s death a while ago, and I do hope the mystery surrounding his untimely demise doesn’t indicate that he was driven beyond the tipping point by having to deal repeatedly with the drivel of the “Aiden”s of this world and their poisonous ilk.

25. Thanks for this obituary, JohnB. Stu was a kind, passionate man who always stuck up for what was right. He was far more patient than me with rude trolls on PN and he would always argue eloquently and politely even when met with abuse.

I always found him a sensitive, thoughtful man with a strong sense of justice. We might only have been internet friends but I hope Stu knew how well-loved he was here.

My condolences to all Stu’s family and friends. RIP Stu – you were a good man.

26. John, many thanks for a very fitting obituary.

Like many others I had noticed the sudden absence of his posts, but assumed that he had returned to work and didn’t have the time / had relocated / was restricted from commenting in the media, etc.

I was therefore very shocked and saddened a couple of weeks ago to read of his death back in the autumn.

Only the good die young.

BTW Pink News, the comments on this article need to be moderated in advance, not reactively.

27. I was humbled and honoured to have been asked to write this obituary, yet do not feel I have done it full justice. However, the wonderful tributes, seen here, more than compensate. I am sure these will be appreciated by those who were close to Stu.

Clearly, in recent years there has been a major move toward full LGBT equality, and Stu has been part of this. I believe his special contribution has been to engage winsomely and with grace with detractors, while sticking to his guns on points of principle.

1. Thanks John for this xx

2. I don’t know if you’ll get this, John, it being so long after you posted. I found your beautiful obituary when I was looking up something about Stu, as it’s now a year since he died. Stu was my friend, and is very much missed. It’s good to know he made an impact on you, and on the other people here. He’ll certainly never be forgotten by anyone who knew him. Thank you for your words.

28. I can’t add much to what’s already been said, but I always found Stu to be a voice of reason on these boards, and someone who’d never stoop to ad-hominem slanging matches when a well constructed solid argument would work better.
    I will miss his contributions round here. RIP Stu.

29. ...Paddyswurds 19 Feb 2013, 11:41am

This news has come as a great shock to me and I’m sure many readers of Pink News. I thoroughly enjoyed reading anything Stu wrote and agreed with most of it. I had enquired recently as to what had happened to Stu as he hadn’t been commenting for almost a year but no one responded. I greatly missed Stu’s comments and will do in the future . My deepest sympathy to Stuarts family and friends. Rest in Peace Stu. … … .. .

30. I was really shocked when I read this obituary. Like many other people, I had a few discussions with Stu over the last couple of years – it was always a pleasure to have a conversation with Stu. He always treated other people with courtesy and respect. I’m very sad to hear this news.

31. Robert in S. Kensington 19 Feb 2013, 2:40pm

I learned of Stu’s death in an obituary that a PN reader had emailed me, apparently in a Derbyshire newspaper. His parents mentioned a diabetic organisation so I suspect his death may have been related to complications from diabetes.

32. Robert in S. Kensington 19 Feb 2013, 2:59pm

I didn’t see Aiden’s usual negative comments, but glad to see they have been removed. I wish PN would do the same for every troll who comes in here, bar them from commenting altogether.

33. Blimey, I got a jolt when I saw this last night. I never comment on here, but felt compelled to this time. Stu and I were in a relationship for 3 years which ended 2 years before he died. I could hear conversations with him ringing in my ears as I read this obituary. He was a skilled debater, sometimes a bit too passionate but he lied nothing better than a heated discussion. He was a kind, generous and loyal man; sometimes infuriating and pig headed, but a good and decent person.

He was also very troubled and unhappy I’m afraid. As often happens in these circumstances he and I were unable to salvage a friendship after he died, and I know he went through some very bad times before his death. Whilst I don’t know about the inquest, everyone was told at the time his death was by his own hand. Sadly, it didn’t surprise those that knew him.

It really doesn’t surprise me that Stu was so well known and highly regarded here, he did have a real knack for reaching out to a lot of people…….

1. …And making his point with passion and eloquence.

His death has caused those in his life a great deal of pain, but thy have taken some small comfort that he is no longer going brought he pain he was. It was just such a shame he couldn’t find happiness in his life.

It’s made me smile to think of him debating and arguing here, and I am sure many feel they have lost a worthy opponent!

2. Thanks so much for sharing this James.

3. Thank you for that, James. You’ve confirmed what we thought but still so very, very sad….

34. Andrew Hunter 24 Feb 2013, 7:31pm

Having met Stuart many years ago, in total I met him three times.

He was never really one to favour another persons view, if they differed from his own, he always had to be right in what he said, that is how I found him to be, yes he was ‘passionate’ about what he said, but a bit too much sometimes.

He was a very troubled person, and a lot of what he said about himself was not true, which would come with being troubled. I found this out after our second meeting.

Lets hope he is at peace with himself now.

1. I do not doubt the insights you share Andrew. For most of us, the Stuart we knew and loved is the one we could only do so through being engaged with via this website. There were many aspects we were not and could not be aware off.

I suspect every one of us has a darker side, often not fully realized by others, but when we do remember those who have passed on we do well to remember the more positive aspects.

In Stuart’s case, those many positive aspects referred to in the comments above cannot be divorced from those things which troubled him. As a consequence, many including myself have been enriched. It is this, I suggest, that is his lasting legacy.