Labour MP Sadiq Khan receives death threats for supporting same-sex marriage

1. Craig Denney 18 Feb 2013, 12:12pm

No one should support any religion that promotes homophobia, hatred and murder as an answer to anyone who refuses to believe in their particular insanity.

2. That There Other David 18 Feb 2013, 12:24pm

If Allah is so all-powerful it’s up to him to strike anyone down he wants to, not some jumped up self-important little tossbag who thinks themselves so central to the universe that Allah needs them to act on his behalf.

These extremists are such effing idiots. Call them a waaaahbulance.

1. Paul London/Essex 18 Feb 2013, 3:37pm

Sorry. Tried to like on my iPhone and think I’ve just inadvertently hit report instead.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Feb 2013, 12:25pm

I hope the police pursue this to the fullest extent of the law, root out the culprits and charge them accordingly with stiff fines and jail if necessary. Absolutely disgusting and unacceptable and Islam is said to be a peaceful religion? My arse it is!

1. That There Other David 18 Feb 2013, 12:35pm

Remember that Sadiq Khan is a Muslim too. The Muslim extremists are so insecure in both their faith and everything else in their sad pathetic lives that they can only see it in terms of authoritarianism and obedience. Their kind are the worst possible advert any religion could have, since it shows up the religion’s followers as deranged losers who only feel anger.

I’m of the atheist persuasion, but I can see that religion is just a mirror held up to the inner self. If you’re a rotten person to begin with your faith will be too.

1. In many cases faith leads people far astray. Have you noticed how rife homophobia is in the Middle East and Africa? You think those areas are just filled with inherently rotten people? No, they are filled with societies that are far too reliant on religion.

The reason why Sadiq Khan appears to be tolerant of homosexuality is because he isn’t a good Muslim. Anyone actually following that religion isn’t going to agree with him.

1. That There Other David 18 Feb 2013, 2:05pm

In the Middle East and Africa the homophobia is down to complete ignorance. Most people in those countries have not had very extensive educations, they are not likely to have encountered LGBT people, and in many cases their lives are so bad they pin all their hopes on some never-never “afterlife” in order to give themselves some hope that living is actually worth something.

The rotten people in those societies are the ones that will prey on the general people. rotten people who are more educated and therefore able to manipulate those around them easily. Look at Uganda for an example. A few rotten so-called preachers drunk on a power trip with millions of people following because they don’t know any better.

However, here in the UK there are no such excuses. Someone who uses faith to call for others to be hurt or put down is doing it out of inbuilt nastiness and externalising the cause.

2. Well said. Unlike a lot of MP’s he has put what he knows to be right ahead of his religion. He should get an award.

3. Anyone actually following that religion isn’t going to agree with him.

That might come as a bit of a surprise to the members of IMAAN, among others.

4. Well, this is obviously a fraud, right? I mean, Islam is the religion of peace and love and would never, no never, promote hatred and violence.

5. Sadiq Khan proves that not all Muslims are anti-equality. In fact there are quite a lot of other prominent Muslims who support LGBT equality, so we shouldn’t tar them all with the same brush.

1. Indeed! We shouldn’t automatically assume that ALL Muslims are bigoted and homophobic hardliners. At the same time, however, we need to wake up to the fact that all over this country more and more mosques are sprouting up, often without locals even knowing (because “the mosque” is often no more than a large room above a corner-shop, but big enough for 20 or 30 men to get down and put their foreheads to the floor!), and within those mosques a philosophy of life quite incompatible with Western civilization is being disseminated.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Feb 2013, 1:59pm

I agree, just as there are many in fact more christians who support equal marriage than those opposed.

6. The 2009 Gallop survey (conducted by a team of muslims inside Gallop) concluded that 99.5% of British muslims were intolerant of homosexuality. Clearly Sadiq Khan is in the 0.5%.

1. Thank you, Joe. That figure provides good evidence for my statement immediately above.

7. Jock S. Trap 18 Feb 2013, 12:54pm

Disgusting. Yet more proof why to avoid religion as it does no good.

This is also proof that these muslim extremists and their supporters cannot contribute to the British society as they clearly do not want democracy.

All those that disagree with democracy, whether white, black, asian, christian, muslim, british born or otherwise are free to leave this country. Their ideals clash with UK law and society therefore they cannot be/should not be a part of it.

These threats are a disgrace. Mr Khan like everyone else here has the freedom to vote and No-one has any right to not only stop that but threaten violence/death either.

Time to remove or ask to leave all those that do not wish to be a part of a democratic Britain.

They can go to a country where their freedoms are oppressed and protest there…. oh no thats right they wouldn’t be able too would they!

8. As minorities are usually judged by their worst examples (as gay people we know this, right?) I feel so sorry for progressive and intelligent Muslims like Khan, forever tarred by the bigot-brush so enthusiastically promoted by idiots like that mufti.

1. de Villiers 18 Feb 2013, 10:31pm

Rehan, I am sure that our politics are not the same but I agree with nearly everything you say.

9. This is a grave matter. If the moderate Muslim Sadiq Khan cannot publicly express a tolerant view, appropriate to Western civilization, without him and his family fearing assassination, then NO Muslim in the UK will dare to veer from “hardline” Muslim points of view.

We all need to give Mr. Khan EVERY bit of support we can.

10. Helge Vladimir Tiller 18 Feb 2013, 1:14pm

Sadiq Khan ! Have no fear. Anxiety is mans worst enemy. There are more muslims around the World who are of the same opinion as you. I’ve met a lot. But I do wish this group was considerably larger. Thank you for supporting my sisters and brothers in the UK. (– from Norway )

11. Well, I suppose he now needs round the clock 24/7 police protection like David Burrowes.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Feb 2013, 2:02pm

It does make me wonder why David Burrowes never went to the police and why it was never pursued. Was he making it up or inflating a comment against him and taking it out of context?

2. Exactly what I came on here to say.

I’m not defending extreme language, and I’m ready to believe that David Burrowes got some of that.

But there’s a big difference between “I hope you die slowly and painfully” and “I have told my followers that it is their duty to murder you”. Clearly the police are well aware of that.

If Mr Burrowes has encountered real threats then he has my sympathy and I hope he reports them to the police and gets assistance.

But if he’s using the mean-spirited yet unthreatening remarks of his correspondents to score political points then he is not only unfairly attacking the LGBT community (and this blog specifically), he is also insulting those of his colleagues in Parliament whose lives are genuinely being threatened over this Bill.

12. Alastair James Mainland 18 Feb 2013, 1:28pm

I heard Sadiq talk most eloquently about his faith on the Daily Politics Show, when the gay marriage debate was on the go. I too am very nervous of Musims due to their record in places like Iran and Saudi Arabia,
    However Sadiq clearly stated he was not a Muslim MP but an MP who was a Muslim, and his job was to reflect and represent all his constituents.
    If only some Catholic band wagon jumping MP’s would think in this manner. Take courage Sadiq you have earned peoples respect and proved what a fine human you are indeed. May your bullies be dealt with
    by the full force of our law.

13. Solidarity with Sadiq Khan and his family. Make a point of writing to him and thanking him for his vote.

This is serious and he certainly has reason to fear for his and his loved ones’ safety. We are dealing with a sect of fanatics – minority they may be, but one psychopath is one too many – who seek to put a gun to our head to get their way. Cave in on this, then they will be baying for more concessions. The police must come down like a ton of bricks on the thugs making these threats. The imam in question is seeking to stir hatred.

Solidarity with Sadiq and all those who put personal freedom, liberty and decency first. Fanatics need to be confronted and rooted out.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Feb 2013, 1:57pm

I agree. I’m going to write him a letter of support encouraging him never to back down in the face of bigotry. He is to be commended.

2. Completely agree. I think many LGBT people tire of religion (goodness knows I do) and I understand why many of us don’t want anything to do with religion of any kind. Many commenters who post at PinkNews see it as a form of mental illness. But I don’t think it’ll help foster acceptance if we’re not prepared to stand by those Muslims prepared to stand by us. I know plenty will say, “You don’t deserve extra respect for not being a homophobe just because you’re a Muslim”, and that’s true. But when this is the frightening reaction that Sadiq has got, I think it’s time to let him (and Roshanara Ali, Shabana Mahmood, Anas Sarwar and Sajid Javid, as well as other prominent non-MPs such as Salma Yaqoob) know that their they can count on us.

14. Christopher 18 Feb 2013, 1:49pm

I really don’t like Muslims…

Never thought I would become a bigot one day.

1. Don’t worry, darling, you’re not a bigot for not liking (fundamentalist) Muslims. You are just a rational person.

1. I find that I don’t like Scientologists. Or Mormons. Or Catholics. Or devout Anglicans. Or anybody who goes about life with a load of all nonsense constantly dangling in front of their eyes!

2. Celebrating your bigotry by dismissing an MP who’s on our side? Oh well done, that really useful, isn’t it?

15. this MP represented his constituents unlike So many other MPs – New Found respect for moderate Muslims

16. I do have to commend Mr.Khan though for not allowing his religion to cloud his views when considering policies on equality issues.
    Which is more than I can say for a lot of supposedly moderate Christians.
    As a secularist, I’m all for religion taking a back seat when it comes to public policy etc.
    Well done, Mr. Khan.

17. ColinJones 18 Feb 2013, 3:28pm

Islam hasn’t invented or discovered anything in centuries because it is so intolerant of science.It is a totally backward culture going nowhere.

1. Compared to ,,, oh, Catholicism? The people who advocate teaching Creationism in US schools?