Final gay Catholic mass held in Soho after Archbishop banned services

1. Paul Murphy 17 Feb 2013, 5:25pm

It’s a shame the Catholic Church did not act as decisively as this when their clergy were abusing children. In fact they went on to cover it up. How can an organisation expect to be taken seriously when it itself has low morals.

1. There is a difference between Roman Catholic’s an Old Catholics,Old Catholics do not live celibate lives and live happy lives with our partners, male or female inc male + female. We are a Liberal Church that has moved with the times, working hard to do what we as Ministers are meant to do, not judge people and condem them to hell, we are humans too :-) Blessings Paul. Rev Rich +

1. OK ,we got it , you’re another deluded christian on a recruitment drive , being predatory on the weak and vulnerable, easily malleable on here.

2. Why do gay people or for that matter any others bother with this thoroughly corrupt religion?

1. its only corrupt Pavlos because they think they have the power to bring in these rules but its better to have a relationship with our faith. God wont send us to hell, if the Roman Catholic Church has any faith they would know he is a merciful God. There is saying ‘Dont do as I do, do as I tell you’ thats the talk of hypocrites, thats why its corrupt in the Roman Catholic Church becuse its run on hypocracy. Me as an Old Catholic Minister we work on a liberal up to date morals worship God and Love, thats it, no celibacy etc. same sex relationships, Gays, Lesbians, Transgender and bisexual people can become Priests, even Women can become Bishops, hows that for being a modern Christian, lol. Blessings Pavlos. Rev Rich +

1. That’s all very well, Rich, but there is no God so you are wasting your precious, limited time on this earth. You must have considered this possibility yourself. If faith is blind it is fearful and meaningless.

2. But here we are discussing the Catholic Church as adhered to by Vincent Nichols who takes instruction from the Vatican.

Your church is quite another denomination of Catholicism Rich.

3. The morally bankrupt vs the deluded. Can’t pick a side, sorry.

1. True, i have no pity for these delusional creeps sucking up to a organisation of hate. Why would you go to a business that don’t want your custom. These gay catholics are nauseating.

4. All around sad. It is like seeking approval form those that hate you. Insanity, illusions and witch craft still draw people in.

5. Fr Richard 17 Feb 2013, 6:53pm

I am a Gay Catholic Priest and I am not in communion with Rome (Old Catholic Apostolic Church), I am willng to hold masses and bless LGBT wedding ceremonies or / and joint baby naming ceremonies contact me at http://www.stdamiens-uk.com, and we can worship GOD as humans. We do not want to be hypocrites like the rest of them. I am willing to old masses in London if you can find me a location.

1. Lion in Winter 17 Feb 2013, 7:04pm

I dated a priest for a while in my youth – he said that he was allowed to see/date me/love me/sleep with me “provided our relationship did not supersede his relationship with God”.

Not being a polygamist, I chose to leave him. Silly me, wanting to be someone’s number 1…

1. You have a job to do the same as I do. When you come home from work, you go home to your partner, so do I.lol, he was silly saying that Im sure you would have been a great partner.

2. It is sad what you are doing Richard, you have a lot of unresolved issues in your life that stem from childhood, you need healing.

1. Hi Dennis,I have no unresolved, issues, I had a good and happy up bringing, I help people who love each other, I respect what people think , if they are for it thats fine, if they are gainst it thats fine too. Just want peace, why is that sad? You have your right to your view and I repect that Dennis.

2. theotherone 17 Feb 2013, 8:53pm

that’s an astoundingly insulting thing to say – did you read his post? he is a catholic but not a roman catholic

3. Agreed, the guy needs therapy not another bloody mass job.

3. theotherone 17 Feb 2013, 8:51pm

if i was still ‘off the faith’ i’d take you up on that.

6. While I am not Catholic and cannot profess to know or understand the workings and teachings of Catholicism, what I do know is that it doesn’t take a bible, years of religious teaching, or a priest, archbishop, or pope to know when to do the right thing. From the outside looking in, the Catholic church does not do the right thing time and time again – pedophile priests, dissolving a mass attended by the LGBT community, spreading lies about marriage equality – the list goes on and on.

7. Terry Eastham 17 Feb 2013, 7:50pm

No doubt Vincent Nichols will get his reward for his anti-LGBT stance over equal marriage and now withdrawing the service. How long until he becomes Cardinal Nichols?

1. Not sure if he would have bothered had he know Benedict XVI was about to resign. Now it is the turn of the Ordinariate to be on shaky ground.

1. So very true Terry, its always the way isnt it, those who do good in the eyes of the offenders, get rewarded. Thats why I broke away from them and became independent. I will not be associated with their actions and Im Gay aswell. Rev Rich +

1. theotherone 17 Feb 2013, 8:54pm

and good on you sir

2. Very sadly there has been terrible child abuse in the Catholic Church which has been covered up in the past. There are also good – very good things that happen in the Church everyday, throughout the world but these deeds go unrecognised and do not make headlines. I believe that Vincent Nichols is being made to wait for his promotion to Cardinal as he is said to be very ambitious.

8. The only form of acceptible sexual activity to these dickheads is the type that disgust almost everyone on the planet. Catholic paedo-church needs outlawed.

1. The Catholic Church is split in to two, the issue you are relating to is the Church based in Rome. I am an old Catholic, gong on how it was, not how it now. I forbid and condone ANY unwanted sexual abuse. I am a small stone in a huge pond, and do ot wish to look like I am taking it on but NOT all Catholics are like that, andIi most CERTAINLY am not one of those. But YES that behaviour certainly does need out lawing. I couldnt agree more. Just a sad thing that stands in our way t it are the ones who are dong it themselves. They just push the off somewhere else. I chose to be independant to break away from them, I am not on of those, believe me I support every word you have said in relation to their sexual behaviour.Blessings Steve. Rev Rich

1. The illness is religion: roman catholicism merely a symptom

9. Archbishop of Westminster: “The moral teaching of the church is that the proper use of our sexual faculty is within a marriage, between a man and a woman, open to the procreation and nurturing of new human life.”

Does that mean he’s never masturbated? How does he even know what sex is?

1. Hi Dave, I totally agree with you. The Roman Catholics do NOT Practice what they preach.I am a gay Catholic minister who is NOT in communion with Rome. I am able and willing to help the gay (LGBT) community by giving them what they want, matrimony, same sex parents support and holding naming ceremonies for their Children.I live with my patner and live a “gay lifestyle” and happen to do the same job as a Roman Catholic with out the hypocrocy they waffle on with ;-) Bessings Dave. Rev Rich +

10. theotherone 17 Feb 2013, 8:57pm

i have been reading about liberation theology this week and, frankly, how far from the church of rome be from such models of piety and goodness.

the roman catholic church is dead on it’s feet

1. As far from Rome as possible, they make man made rules and go against it themselves. I do my Ministry to the best of my ability, and now make it known yes Im a Catholic but do NOT relate me to Rome. May be roads dont lead to Rome, they are in the direction to run away from it , even Catholic Churches in Holland, Germany, Switzerland, The U.S etc are not all under the Pope’s fability. The Old Catholic Church (formerly known as Liberal) is the most up to date Church, riddig of old fuddy duddy must’nt do’s and donts. We let you do as you do, it is on your own concious’s with God that matters. Rev Rich

11. Religions and their followers are guilty of many injustices and atrocities over time and can expect only condemnation when they seek to overpower civil rights and democracy just as many are currently doing in relation to the marriage equality legislation. Bigotry and discrimination thrive amongst the institution of religion and driven so many people away, especially those of us who are gay, so it is very sad that masses specifically to welcome gay people are forced to end.

The gay community is justifiably angry by the attacks from Christian fundamentalists and it is understandable in the circumstances that many of us think we are incompatible with religion. Yet, some gay people obviously do feel that they can have a religious faith. Hopefully those of us who don’t feel an affinity with religion can have some empathy with fellow gay people who do, no matter how misguided we may think they are or how disgusted we are of the vicious hatred directed at us from religious homophobes.

12. Robert in S. Kensington 17 Feb 2013, 9:42pm

I don’t understand why services for the LGBT communtiy in the Soho church are out of line with the church’s main teaching on sexuality, yet they are told to use the Farm Street church run by the Jesuits? Am I missing something? Makes no sense. No wonder I renounced roman catholicism years ago and none to soon. Happy to be an atheist now, no thanks to the bigoted church of Rome. Now that the pope is resigning, I hope more catholics renounce their faith and if they have to, join a denomination that doesn’t judge them.

1. Hi Robert, I am in the Old Catholic Church, many of our Priest and Bishops are gay. I see this as a positive thing. We are not singing from the hymn books of Rome lol,we are offering the LGBT community (me included, yes I am a gay priest in a relationship). You can be Chrsian and gay. We do not judge anyone, and we offer the opportunity for Women str8 or gay to become Priests or Bishops if they so desire. I dont see many ChristianChurches coming to support the LGBT community, and do services of weddings etc so if anyone wants the support from a Priest who wont judge them or tell them what to do if they want to go upstairs then the Old Catholic Church could be for them. Love is Love be it with a man or woman. We are here for other gay people and str8 too. Hope is here for the LGBT community if they want it, or they can have the door of so called Christianity slammed in their face trying to get the main stream Churches to accept it. I dont see many Curches running to our rescue.

1. In the nicest possible way Rev. Rich, may I respectfully request you use paragraphs? It makes it a lot easier for people, (especially dyslexics), to read what you have written.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Feb 2013, 12:41pm

Rev. Rich, I respect your opinion and your right to practice your faith. I only wish Christianity, expecially the Roman and Anglican churches followed your example, but sadly, they don’t and won’t. I would love to see a mass exodus of Anglican and Catholic clergy in support of equal marriage leave the church once and for all.

13. Is all this advertising from Revrich appropriate. Any other commercial advertising would be booted off here

1. I agree. Rich is barking up the wrong tree here with his recruitment drive. Most of the commentators seem to be free of the sad mumbo jumbo of religion. Rich feels he has parted company with Rome but he still believes all the silly voodoo that goes with faith.

1. I don’t believe in any gods but I do believe in respecting other people’s beliefs as long as they do not hurt anyone else. As far as I can see Rev Rich is not hurting anyone and neither is his religion.

If he was advocating joining a Church that preached hatred and bigotry like some of the CofE or Roman Catholic commenters do I would agree with you.

1. My strong belief is that the propagation of these fairy tales harms the ‘believer’ and society as a whole, and it is my duty as a caring citizen to call out this harm.

1. What is harmful about religion is its intolerance towards people who don’t believe in the same ideology. Atheist intolerance is just as problematic.

2. I do understand your point of view, but please try to be respectful of this man’s choice to believe in God and become a Priest in his chosen religion. I don’t believe in God, but many gay people do and are feeling extremely confused and disenfranchised by this and similar actions by this Church. If Rich’s stance and offer of religious assistance to gay people who may need it is seen as ‘advertising’, I can live with that! At least he isn’t a hypocrite.

14. Nichols must be feeling a right idiot now – he took the anit gay stance because he knew it would advance his ambition for a red hat with Pope Benedict, and now he has gone and not rewarded him for his loyalty in carrying out orders.
    If a more benign pope is elected, and that is doubtful, watch Nichols U turn and show pastoral sensitivity etc toward LGBT catholics. The man is an ambitious toad – awful creature.

15. We’re not stopping, we’re moving! It’s a pity that Pink News based its report on the erroneous report by the BBC’s Religious Affairs Correspondent.
    Nowhere in the recent statements of Archbishop Nichols is their any claim that the Soho Masses have been ‘out of line with the Church’s main teaching on sexuality’.
    In the face of obsessive campaigns by ultra-conservative Catholics in the UK, who have the ear of certain Vatican officials, Archbishop Nichols has tried to create ‘wiggle room’ for himself, and for the Soho Masses community. We might wish for a head-on confrontation by him with the Vatican, but church politics, like secular politics, is about the art of the possible, and how change can be developed. Vincent Nichols will welcome LGBT Catholics to
    Farm Street Jesuit Church on 3rd March, and meet with us after the 18.15 Mass. We shall also gather there on 17 March, again after the 18.15 Mass, and from April 2013, we’ll be gathering on 2nd & 4th Sundays at Farm Street.

1. Secular londoner 18 Feb 2013, 2:26pm

Martin, if you and the deluded fools who follow you had an ounce of intellectual honesty you would realise that you are being taken for a ride. The masses are stopping and you have to join an ordinary congregation for an ordinary mass.

And your continued grovelling to Nichols is an insult to all who have worked so hard to bring about the marriage equality which he in his turn, with the entire hierarchy, has fou8ght so hard to prevent.

You should be ashamed of yourselves. There are plenty of gay friendly Christian churches, if you must embrace that lifestyle,

16. ProUna Fides 18 Feb 2013, 3:54pm

Congrats LGBT’s! Now you can be equal, like everyone else, and partake of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass with everyone else instead of having your own “special” Mass!

1. pro takes the ablative. Your homophobia would be more believable, Pro Una Fidei, if your latin were better.

1. Well spotted, Harry!

1. ..which, martin, does not mean I disapprove of your intellectually dishonest grovelling to Rome either!

17. ...Paddyswurds 19 Feb 2013, 12:53pm

Roman Cult apologists on the Big Questions BBC1 Sunday past, tried and failed to convince everyone that in fact the mass hadn’t been shut down but moved elsewhere. Yea right ….