Tory Welsh Secretary David Jones responds to gay parenting row

1. James Gray 15 Feb 2013, 3:21pm

Can I suggest that Mr Jones reads Bridget Fitzgerald’s 1999 analysis that proved scientifically and not morally that children raised by same-sex parents are just as healthy, physically and mentally as those raised in a heterosexual relationship.

1. I’m afraid James unless it’s a small book with no big words and a few helpful pictures thrown in together with a diagram of how to open and close it, I doubt it would be within his reach.

Please don’t expect too much of the man. You can see even the simple art of dressing himself has proven to be a step too far.

2. “I simply sought to point out that, since same-sex partners could not biologically procreate children, the institution of marriage was one that, in my opinion, should be reserved to opposite sex partners.”

No, that is not what he said. He was really quite clear and unambiguous that two same sex partners cannot provide a “warm and safe environment for the upbringing of children”.

He was really quite explicit, and I will be extremely disappointed if he is allowed to get away claiming he said something different.

3. Jock S. Trap 15 Feb 2013, 3:27pm

Basically he thinks we are fine being second class citizens in the mind of religion!

Unacceptable!

4. I have the ability to procreate. In fact and technically, my sperm count test proved sufficent to populate China in a day (just bragging alittle cause it makes me feel manly). All I would need is woman, and her and my willingness do do so.

5. Dave North 15 Feb 2013, 3:45pm

I can hear the squeak of frantic back-peddling.

6. He can’t backtrack from saying that children raised by same-sex parents are not safe. Such a statement is like throwing a grenade towards those families. His views are extremely offensive and dangerous, not based on fact but on his prejudices and bigotry. Does Cameron permit such extremism on his frontbench?

If a similarly incorrect, bigoted and offensive remark was directed by a Cabinet minister towards families of any other section of society, they would be asked to resign or sacked.

7. GulliverUK 15 Feb 2013, 3:46pm

Sometimes Jack can’t be put back in the box. I’d say he just fcuked his re-election chances. This will be brought up through his next attempt to get elected.

Also, he voted against IVF treatment for lesbians on the NHS, and didn’t bother to turn up for the vote for the Equality Act (SO) regulations – so simply doesn’t care if goods and services, housing or employment are denied to people who happen to be gay. A disgusting bigot.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 15 Feb 2013, 4:24pm

If he’s in a safe constituency, he won’t screw up his re-election charges. Most of them who voted no are in that favourable position. Even if the majority of his constituents were not opposed, he’d still have voted no. Religion is in the mix here. What he doesn’t say is anything about infertile hetero couples and single hetero parent families, widows and widowers with children who’ve never remarried. I would deduce then that he also thinks those are inappropriate and unsafe environments in which to raise children. He needs to be asked about that.

8. Hateful Welsh monster -

1. He’s just a hateful monster. His being Welsh has nothing to do with it. There are as many English, Scots, Irish, French, and homophobes of other nationalities as there are Welsh ones.

1. GulliverUK 15 Feb 2013, 5:28pm

I’ve often found people I’ve met who are welsh to be pretty-damned intelligent – annoyingly sharp in some cases, but I guess these are always exceptions to the rule. Perhaps he’s not really welsh. :)

Certainly a complete f-wit.

9. So once he pulls the foot out of his mouth how long will it be until we hear of him pulling a cock out of it?

10. Why should marriage be reserved?

You’ll want your own parking space next.

11. Providing “a warm and safe environment for the upbringing of children, . . . is clearly something that two same-sex partners can’t do”

“I simply sought to point out that, since same-sex partners could not biologically procreate children.”

NO. NO, David Jones, you said much more than same-sex partners could not biologically procreate children [together]. You said that we are incapable of providing children with a warm and safe environment!

Now why do you believe that?

Is it, perhaps, because you believe we are intrinsically cold and dangerous people?

Say yes, if that’s what you believe. You’re not alone. There are thousands and thousands of other bigots and homophobes who hold exactly the same view. They all slander and hurt us immeasurably.

1. Steph Grant 19 Feb 2013, 8:37pm

“I simply sought to point out that, since same-sex partners could not biologically procreate children..”

Because everyone knows that infertile heterosexual couples (who cannot biologically procreate) are not afforded the right to marry either. It’s ok if they adopt children, but even then they should not be allowed to marry… A civil union is right and just in that circumstance. Oh and if you’re a divorced heterosexual (with children from a former marriage) and wish to re-marry?… Nope, can’t do that either, not unless children can biologically come from that marriage.

His argument makes ‘perfect’ sense… That is, if you are opposed to equality for all human beings.

Disgraceful!!

12. Not news – Tory spout hate and then tries to retcon it with a pathetic and absurd excuse, while trying to conceal his evident bigotry behind a poorly constructed smokescreen of drivel.

Ever more in the modern and very connected world, you cannot unring bells. We know what he said, we know why he said it.