Former Leeds footballer Robbie Rogers comes out as gay

1. Footballer in “coming out AFTER leaving the sport” shocker.

1. What a horrible thing to say, how judgemental u are to welcome him out like this when u know nothing of what he’s been through

1. What gets me is the double standard being displayed between him coming out ‘after his career’ and Crispin Blunt.

Somehow (maybe because he’s good looking and youngish), he’s brave and yet Blunt is a coward?

I think having the courage to come out at any time should be applauded.

2. why did you get 14 dislikes, its true I’m an american, this happens in american sports all the time, they play a sport then leave then a little longer later they come out. American straight sports fans ‘bigots” not all but a lot of them cant imagine a gay player its like there brain cant make the connection.

2. After playing for Stevenage (where I’m from) I imagine coming out was an easy choice. Nothing could possibly be worse than sharing a changing room with that bunch of…

Well done him, and nice he could be so open about his emotions.

1. He needs to keep playing, to stop playing is what the anti-gay Christian haters what him to do.

3. What a powerful and inspiration letter, even if in parts rather too “cool” in its expressions for my liking!

I’m sure your letter, Robbie, is going to inspire a lot of people, not only youngsters who know they are gay but footballers who are gay too.

1. So, Crispin Blunt is called a coward for staying in the closet for his career and this bloke is being hailed for coming out, later in life too, and then ending his pro footballer career?

Double standards much?

4. Thank you. That’s all.

5. Big Tit Lover 15 Feb 2013, 6:39pm

Had a very rough time at Leeds with injuries, always thought he was gay. Very, very nice guy would love to give him a hug and congratulate him. A very beutiful kind chap when I met him when he signed my shirt. You go Robbie…

6. It could not have come from a nicer, sexier footballer.

Be still my beating heart!

1. Agree 100%

2. Dennis the Menace 15 Feb 2013, 11:09pm

Ditto

3. He is really sexy !! he’s from cali but if he’s ever in New York id do ###^*&%$&% ALL NIGHT TO HIM.

7. What a pity that football is so riddled with homophobia that he couldn’t come out until after he’d decided to quit. I can only hope that we don’t now see him as being as some kind of role model when actually he only came out when it would no longer affect his career.

1. Horrible. Why don’t you try walking in his shoes before u start condemning him. Or are you perfect?

1. The truth hurts?

2. Christopher 16 Feb 2013, 8:58pm

I see him as a role model. I’m a 18 year old gay kid who plays football semi-professionally and any guy who would put up with professional football as a gay men is a hero to me.

1. Keep playing Christopher. Hopefully it won’t be very long before professional players can be open, and not face all the pressure that many others here have commented on. Maybe you’ll be amongst them.

8. “Honesty is a bitch”…Just think of how bigger a bitch YOU would have been if YOU came out before quitting……None the less welcome to the best Mens Club there is xx

9. well done to him it show that the FA are doing nothing to assist gay footballers because they have no faith in the system.

i dont follow football (theres a surprise) and wish this guy well for the future

10. Nice reaction on twitter:

“Bolton midfielder Stuart Holden has tweeted his
    support for his fellow USA international.
    He wrote: “Much love and respect to my boy
    @robbierogers! Proud to be your friend bro.””

Oh, not that is matters, but his is GORGEOUS!

11. ^^^
    oops, he is not ‘his’!

12. Lovely, lovely guy. Met him once and was so polite and genuine. Am so happy he’s found the time to be at peace with himself. Nothing but kind words for him, a true gentleman. Shame someone else is now wearing your 22 shirt. Gonna miss you, hope you come back to Elland Road sometime, shame you could not have featured in a few more games for us…..

13. Obviously he is rather hung up on having been “created”.
    Religion is probably the source of all Robbie’s previous closetry and shame, the real shame is that he still hasn’t overcome religions pernicious influence yet , given time perhaps he will manage to leave it behind too.

1. Don’t really read it the same as you. He has clearly avoided the use of the term ‘God’, I thought quite pointedly. We were all ‘created’.

When I told me father he was gay, he response was, “You are what we made you, son”

I think ‘created’ can be interpreted in different ways, and it allows people to read into it their perception of from where we came from.

Credit though to the guy for coming out, and I’m anticipating the media storm that is going to follow with interest.

1. I think there is only one way to interpret what Robbie said.
        (“Try convincing yourself that your creator has the most wonderful purpose for you even though you were taught differently.”)
        and
        (“..I can move on and live my life as my creator intended.”)

And plenty of other gay men too remain religious even though it is so obviously the primary agent of their persecution, it’s a puzzling thing to me.

14. Gorgeous guy. Great decision.

15. PeterinSydney 15 Feb 2013, 9:54pm

Robbie is very very cute. I wish him well.

16. it’s sort of funny all the “he’s cute” or “he’s gorgeous” comments that get marked up here, but those who remark on the simple fact that he’s coming out AFTER retiring get marked down?

It’s TRUE that it’s a shame he comes out and quits. What football needs is someone to come out and continue playing and prove the nay-sayers wrong.

1. I agree with what you’re saying and marked you up but…

What if people don’t want to be role models? What if they don’t want that kind of pressure? A footballer could come out and keep playing but it will probably affect their career and they’re probably going to get abuse for it.

Of course that’s never going to go away I don’t think until a footballer actually comes out. To me, the best thing to be done is for several players to come out at once. There definitely are a few to be able to do that.

1. then they are, of course free to do so, as was done in this case.

But it still confuses me that anyone would consider a role model, or a sign of courage.

Millions of LGBT people come out every year. And they continue living their lives. Of course we can say “they are all heroes”. But why shine a spotlight on this particular person who came out, in a difficult situation, but didn’t FACE that difficult situation? I don’t see him as a hero at all.

It was his decision to come out and then quit. But his coming out was in no way “heroic” or worthy of media attention. No more so than anyone else’s coming out.

I guess this would be the whole “celebrity” situation, however?

In my opinion, all this footballer has proven or demonstrated is that pro football is still homophobic, and that this particular gay man didn’t have the courage of his convictions to come out and continue BEING a footballer.

17. Patrick C Notchtree 16 Feb 2013, 7:53am

Forcing people to suppress their true sexuality crushes lives, stifles creativity, spreads misery and creates an oppressive and unhealthy society. Robbie did this for 25 years, I did for 60 and have written about it. http://www.thecloudsstillhang.com

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 16 Feb 2013, 8:40am

Very good, BROTHER !

18. Suddenly Last Bummer 16 Feb 2013, 8:01am

Robbie Rogers….he sure does!

19. Helge Vladimir Tiller 16 Feb 2013, 8:38am

FOLLOW HIS EXAMPLE ! Girls and boys-!

20. Jock S. Trap 16 Feb 2013, 10:34am

Brave man and he will be a role model to a lot of people who feel in the same position. His bravery will help some get through their own and finally come out and live the life they are suppose to.

It is a shame he felt he couldn’t play but that just shows up football for the homophobic game it is. It’s that, that needs sorting.

Maybe a group of player coming out whilst in the game may be the only way forward and that’s not particularly good for football esp in the light that other sportsmen in other professions are able to and get the support.

1. Please explain to me how he is a “role model”?
      He would be a role model if he continued doing what he’s doing, being a footballer.

But how is coming out, then doing a 180 on your entire life, evidence of “role model”?

That would be like Sir Ian McKellan coming out but quitting acting and becoming a recluse.

1. Jock S. Trap 16 Feb 2013, 2:51pm

“…he will be a role model to a lot of people who feel in the same position”

21. In an ideal world he would have come out earlier pre-retirement but I can relate to much of what he says.
    Not everyone has a conducive liberal-minded support group of peers and family waiting in the wings to give them a big hug when they finally pluck up the courage to come out.
    I myself waited until I was 25, and then only to a small group of trusted friends.
    With football you have the added social pressures of homophobic chanting from the terraces and managers, agents and sponsors colluding in the silence.
    I would like to think this has changed, but football does seem like the last bastion of homophobia in sport sometimes. I wish him well in whatever he does next.

22. This might get the conversation going I suppose but because he came out and left the sport, he is no trailblazer or pioneer. He has reinforced the perception that to be gay in football is to be unwelcome. The reaction of his team mates proves otherwise. I would urge him to postpone his retirement. Another few months, a year even, will make no impact on his other plans. He could have defied the taboo, taken on adversity, been a maverick, etc etc, and thus applied those values to his fashion brand. I hope he rethinks. His presence on the pitch will inspire, his walking away will probably entrench pessimism.