DC Comics defends choice to hire anti-gay writer in response to calls for Superman boycott

1. Christopher 14 Feb 2013, 4:09pm

What were they thinking hiring this guy? Sad to see these kind of disgusting bigots within that community.

1. ChrisBChikin 14 Feb 2013, 4:48pm

I imagine they were thinking “Here’s one of the best sci-fi authors alive today; let’s see what he can do with Superman,” Holding bigoted views on one issue doesn’t make all of a person’s contributions entirely worthless; people should rightly object to Orson Scott Card’s anti-gay lobbying, but unless that lobbying overlaps with his writing (like with that Hamlet thing) I don’t see a problem with him writing for DC.

1. David Jordan 14 Feb 2013, 7:38pm

He’s not one of the best science fiction writers alive today, he’s a one hit wonder, he wrote Ender’s Game and then milked it for 27 years, his other works have been middling to poor at best and his most successful work since Ender’s Game was Ender’s Shadow, which was just Ender’s Game with a different POV charater and it has been noted by both fans and critics alike that his writings have suffered due to his anti-LGBT, pro-LDS filibustering.

2. Of course they would have hired him if he was openly racist or anti-semitic – me thinks not.

1. I was just thinking that. Would they have hired him if he was a klan member?

2. GulliverUK 14 Feb 2013, 4:31pm

I suspect that after introducing gay characters previously, they would have been lobbied very hard by religious activist groups and this is their attempt to compromise and appease those groups.

He might be a good writer, compelling, inventive, creating excitement, but clearly if there is a single line which suggests homophobia, DC Comics will live to regret that. So it’s quite possible they will use him to create the stories but have very tight editorial control before any stories are released.

Just because somebody is a homophobic bigot in their private and public life doesn’t mean they can’t be a professional in their work. As much as it sent the wrong sort of message, because of his previous high-profile stance, only time will tell if he’s a) any good and b) able to write without bringing his personal issues in to the stories. We all liked Walt Disney pictures as children, but dear old uncle Walt was a very bigoted homophobic man.

3. ChrisBChikin 14 Feb 2013, 4:31pm

As much as I disagree with his views on homosexuality, Orson Scott Card is still a phenomenal sci-fi author and I think the ‘Superman’ franchise might well benefit from having his skill as a writer. Provided his personal views on homosexuality don’t taint the end result in any way, I don’t see much of a problem with his involvement with DC.

4. Kerry Hollowell 14 Feb 2013, 5:43pm

he obviously has the knack to suspend reality and submerge himself into the realms of complete fiction. After all he is a mormon and if you are not aware of what that cult believes in you should take a look.

5. Chuck Anziulewicz 14 Feb 2013, 6:11pm

I hope that some of the folks at DC Comics will at least look into some of the vitriolic things Mr. Card has written about Gay people.

At this point I’m almost embarrassed to admit that I used to enjoy his books. I read the first four “Ender Wiggin” novels. I slogged through the entire “Homecoming” series, though being somewhat mystified by the Mormon imagery toward the end.

It was only THEN that I began learning what a strident homophobe Mr. Card was, and that was that. I’m not going to indulge his petty prejudices by reading his stuff anymore.