UK: Same-sex marriage bill to face scrutiny from Commons committee by MPs with mixed views on equality

1. If I watch the debate on TV it will just make me angry. I don’t want to watch a bunch of primitive humans debating our rights and trying to keep us from having full equality.

1. Primitive humans? really dear bigotry can work both ways you know.

1. Go away homophobe. ‘Dear’ What a strange thing to say.

2. Yes we are well aware of that. But when it is for our eqauality and people are trying to stand in the way of that, then I don’t really see how that is fair. So I suppose you think we should just give up trying to get equality…….

2. Robert in S. Kensington 12 Feb 2013, 2:20pm

One or two in the committee don’t even want religious denominations involved in marriage ceremonies of gay couples, meaning they want religious beliefs to trample on the rights of those denominations that wish to participate. How on earth can they allow bigots like that to sit in a committee since they can’t be impartial while claiming abuse of religious freedom as long as it’s them but not for others? Bigoted and hyocrital and they should be told as such.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 12 Feb 2013, 2:25pm

Why would Nick Clegg say he is hopeful that gay weddings would be able to take place by the summer of this year? Does he know something others don’t? I hope it proves to be true, but I suspect they’ll try to delay it giving the opposition a false sense of victory. I can just see the Daily Mail/Telegraph headlines…”gay marriage blown out of the water”.

4. There will always be people like this. Still living in the past. Bigots are everywhere in Parliament. And these people run the country lol!

5. After watching Nadine Dorries on TV and her comments I just think……why is she even there! Nothing constructive to say…..

1. Comparing it to a Scotch Egg….without the sausage……….

2. You’ll have to ask the people who voted for her. I would phrase it like this: “WTF where you thinking?”

3. Robert in S. Kensington 12 Feb 2013, 3:24pm

Exactly. I suspect the reason why they’re there is to prevent the opposition from saying they were not represented or allowed to comment, the fair play process. Regardless, I can’t possibly conceive of anything they could contribute to the bill.

As for Nadine Dorries, well I hope that someone will remind her that it’s a bit rich for someone like her, an adulteress to bang on about the one man one woman marriage nonsense. In her case, one man and two women. It’s the height of hypocrisy that someone like her would even want to be part of the committee let alone bad mouth equal marriage. Who appointed them to the committee and what were the reasons for doing knowing just how vile they have been throughout this entire equal marriage debate?

6. Lets close down Grindr Growler and Silver Daddies Ggayda andr Bearwww and open up the bars wouldn’t it be great . It could be a new experience for many gays

1. I love the bars Ken :-D ♥

7. OOPs wrong story hehe

8. For anyone who wants to see the start of the HOC committee stage of the Marriage (same sex couples) Bill – you can find a recording of it on the Parliment web site, here:

9. GulliverUK 12 Feb 2013, 3:54pm

David Burrowes saying WE (here) commenting on Pinknews are wrong to say people who oppose this are homophobic. Ben making excellent points that difficult to understand people who say I’m not homophobic but …. I don’t think you should have the same rights as me.

You can see it on;

It’s nothing like the barracking rampant homophobia of last Tuesday – far more civilised.

10. GulliverUK 12 Feb 2013, 4:27pm

Oh WOW! Campaign for Marriage getting a real dressing down from MPs.

11. And why hasn’t Peter Tatchell been asked to contribute? He more than anyone in the UK has fought for this campaign.

12. ...rational thinker 12 Feb 2013, 5:53pm

I am convinced that this whole thing is a charade and that the Law and JUstice Homophobic Tories have no intention and never had any intention of passing this bill. I think possibly CallmeDave was genuine enough but even though he knows this will never become law he went ahead with it anyway so he could shrug his shoulders and say “well i tried , don’t blame me”. If he is genuine he could always tell the Peers “pass it or else” and let them know they are only in the other house on suffrage and could be eliminated at any moment in favour of an elected upper house….Which really is what should happen no matter what. The whole Lords/peers thing is an anachronism that belongs firmly in the eighteenth century.

13. Have we dedicated PinkNews readers and commenters been invited to attend? There are clearly scores of us and we all feel passionately and some of our number could, I am sure, give very cogent presentations, if wished. Have I missed the publication of such an invitation?

1. Tim Chapman 12 Feb 2013, 7:08pm

I nominate Iris!

14. Here is a video link to the evidence from @Out4marriage – Benjamin Cohen and James-J Walsh http://goo.gl/QX2Zl

and here’s a list of the witnesses and evidence programme http://www.parliament.uk/business/news/2013/february/marriage-same-sex-couples-bill-committee-announce-evidence-programme/

15. Last week when I got home from work there was a leaflet through my door from the Campaign 4 Marriage asking us to contact our MP Phillip Lee and pressure him to vote against redefining marriage. I did contact Phillip Lee, as I knew he had abstained in the vote and gave him my reason why he should have voted in favour of same sex marriage. I was surprised to learn that in the area that Phillip Lee represents he had received over 300 letters asking him to vote against the bill, and only 13 to vote in favour of it. So my question is did we do enough?