Coalition for Marriage: ‘The equal marriage bill is causing a shortage of teachers’

1. Sounds like they roundly busted her flush.

And really, would we want any of those nasty people teaching our children anyway?

1. . . . and she doesn’t want discrimination . . .

except against LGBT people . . .

hmmmmmm . . .

2. Teachers are not permitted to voice their personal opinions to students. They are supposed to be impartial, no matter what their personal opinions (or prejudices) may be. So, her point is, well, pointless.

1. How very true, Rosemary. Now retired and living in South Africa (far more civilised in many ways than Tory Britain!), I was a career teacher for very many years and of considerable seniority. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times any of my staff members had to be admonished for stating opinions rather too “warmly”! Teachers enter a culture of reasonableness and fairness, and that rubs off the sharp edges pretty quickly. I taught during the era of Clause 28 and, boy, did that raise a few spectres within staff rooms! BUT….though teachers may have have had personal agendae, sensible democratic discussion showed the way forward. This Dr James person seems to have no understanding of the way that education works to bring age-appropriate discussions before pupils. She may be surprised that even young pupils have a very mature understanding of issues in this age of info-tech!

3. I’m sure she thinks it is not okay for racist or anti-semites to be open about their bigotry, so why would she think it is okay for homophobin teachers to be open about their bigotry?

Because she’s a bigoted homophobe.

4. Jock S. Trap 12 Feb 2013, 6:25pm

Oh blah, blah, blah… what a load of crap. This coming from the ever so desperate people who Will sink too low to get their discriminating point across.

It comes with those same people who blame the decline in marriage on same sex marriage even though it’s been in decline for years!

It’s pathetic, it’s nonsense.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 12 Feb 2013, 6:47pm

It’s been in decline for more than 30 years, no thanks to heterosexual adultery and divorce, the very things that some in opposition are guilty of and who voted against equal marriage last week. Nadine Dorries, Sir Roger Gale, Bob Blackman to name but three. I was hoping that would come out in committee. Another case of desperation because they really have no valid argument against equal marriage.

5. Keith Francis Farrell 12 Feb 2013, 6:31pm

Is that such a big problem, I am sure ther are many gay teachers that would just love to teach. I know I would if I got the chance

6. Well, if she is right, then this is good news. Do we want our children to be fed a lot bigotry?

7. davevauxhall 12 Feb 2013, 6:43pm

She is a fantasist

1. Indeed. And I’ll use the word you politely declined to employ: she’s a LIAR.

She “said that she knew of many people who were scared to go into teaching” because of the possibility of Equal Marriage.

MANY people? And their greatest fear of teaching in an inner-city comprehensive is that they might occasionally have to give a class in which discussion of marriage is called for? Nonsense!

And she said “many experienced teachers had said they would retire early, for fear of getting into trouble for voicing anti-equal marriage opinions”.

Again, total lying baloney! Teachers give up their jobs because of the occasional class in which same-sex marriage MIGHT be discussed.

This woman needs a QC to cross-question her in an open court and have her true motives, not to mention her lies, exposed!

8. Robert in S. Kensington 12 Feb 2013, 6:44pm

How much more desperate does she get? This harridan is really scraping the bottom of the barrel with this one, but I suppose she is supported by those in opposition in the committee. Anything to thwart equal marriage no matter how spurious the claims. Thankfully, most in attendance could see through the nonsense. She made a bloody fool of herself in my view.

1. “harridan . . . scraping bottom of barrel” : absolutely absolutely, Robert. Well put.

9. Complete nonsense!! I’m an ‘out’ lesbian primary school teacher at an Ofsted graded ‘outstanding’ C of E School and I don’t have any need to voice my personal opinion on equal marriage to children. It is irrelevant in any case but all teachers should be able to draw on their professional integrity and demonstrate their ability to be impartial irrespective of personal views held.

1. Don Harrison 12 Feb 2013, 11:51pm

Well done that Lady

10. “many experienced teachers had said they would retire early, for fear of getting into trouble for voicing anti-equal marriage opinions”

I doubt this is true, but if it is, it is great news. Good riddance.

The sooner we get rid of people who are a bad influence on children the better.

11. Talk about well and truly scraping the barrel!!!

12. Jonathan Wright 12 Feb 2013, 7:25pm

Does she want to blame the declining bee population on the equality bill too?? Our traditional bees don’t want to be forced to wear rainbow stripes and produce their sweet honey for the ‘gays’?

Provide written evidence from teachers and/or verbel testimony (and from teachers outside ‘faith-based’ schools) or shut your trap. Why can’t get get some of these people prosecuted for lying in a public office?!

1. Very well said, Jonathan!

What lengths will they stoop to!

And the invention is astounding!

13. So what she is saying is that since some teachers cannot discriminate, they will find another profession? Fine by me :) Hopefully the profession will be in something that does not deal with the public.

14. Tim Roll-Pickering 12 Feb 2013, 7:49pm

Am I the only one who appears to have been ill every day we had lessons in “Marriage”? Or has it only been added to the curriculum in the last fifteen years?

1. Ha Ha! I thought the same thing! I would be foolish to think school curriculum has not changed since I left school, but I think the only time I recall marriage being discussed by a teacher was when the history teacher covered Henry the VIII and his wives. (or that we had to now call Miss…. Mrs)

2. I agree. I can’t think of a single time we had ‘marriage lessons’ at either my primary or secondary schools, and both were of a religious (c of e) bent.

15. Has this been a problem in countries that have had marriage equality for years?

. Does anyone know?

1. I was in having a coffee in a Canadian establishment last week, when a gentleman came in with a copy of the International Express. The front of which was a banner headline about Equal Marriage. He turned to me and asked “Can you believe this three ring circus?” When I asked him don’t you think it is right that people around the world have marriage equality like we have had in Canada for the past few years? he replied ” I forgot all about that!”

For me it was the perfect response! Because it highlighted the reality of how quickly people forget. When things are no longer an issue or don’t have an affect on them or their lives. It wouldn’t be unrealistic to say the average Canadian has to reflect back on it being a reality, that is unless they read an article about it or learn of some one who is getting married refreshes their memory!

16. I find this whole argument odd.

Are teachers currently allowed to say that Civil Partnerships are a total pile of shite or something of that ilk?

Or is she suggesting that teachers should just suggest that gay people should screw around?

1. I think they rather like the idea of more sham marriages.

Let’s all play pretend.

17. She knows she’s already lost the argument, that same sex marriage is going to become a reality. But what she and her ilk seem to be wanting now is a kind of rear-guard action where it will now be protected in law to be for anyone to be as homophobic as anyone wants to be towards anyone in a same sex marraige. Which is quite different from having just having an opinion. I work in the NHS and have done for over 25 years. Is she now implying that if a patient is in a same sex marriage that I can espouse any negative opinion of his or her marriage even although it has nothing whatsoever to the treatment that patient receives, and to boot, that that negative opinion to be protected in law? It’s a charter for harassment! And what about coworkers. If this kind of negative ‘opinion’ was entrenched in law, what’s to stop anyone in a same sex marriage from being at the receiving end of a constant barrage of underhanded verbal abuse at work?

18. Shortage of good teachers is probably more related to crap pay, lack of respect and demoralisation bevcause of the government’s policies on education, rather than the government’s policy on marriage equality.

19. Equal marriage will put people off becoming teachers…!

No, actually I’d say S28 did a better job.

Must be awful for her and Colin Hart. Must be like living in South Africa all those years ago being white only to discover that blacks will have equal rights to you,and, will be able to share the same bus, school, park, cafe….

I’d imagine a lot of pro-apartheid white teachers came up with a very similar argument for not allowing equality.

1. People like her see as as dirt.

All clapped on by the organized religions.

20. I wouldn’t want a child of mine being taught by someone who would preach their opinions to them over issues such as equal marriage. Teachers should always remain neutral rather than encourage young-en’s to hold prejudices, otherwise they’re in the wrong profession.

21. That pesky equal marriage. It also caused an absolutely terrible snowstorm in the US don’t you know?

22. People on both sides of the argument want a referendum? I wouldn’t want someone that detached from reality voting on my rights. I mean, really — “None of us want discrimination?” Does she listen to herself, do you suppose?

23. I watched them. They’re quite mad.

MPs did kick the crap out of them – I think MPs were really pissed off because they’ve had weeks of very abusive emails from religious types.

1. Paul Essex/London 13 Feb 2013, 8:56am

In the middle of watching it online and I’ve had to pause the player 5 times before she’s finished her intro, I’m cringing that much.

24. Talking out of your backside missus!

25. Better not enough teachers than plenty of the bigoted kind.

26. Now we’re just using any old excuse not to allow same sex marriage.

It’ll be causing a shortage of bus drivers next… then it will be doctors, nurses, vets………………………

27. Don Harrison 12 Feb 2013, 11:48pm

That is a load of bollocks.
    The bill will back those whose faith means they do not want to discuss the issues in school.

28. To me she looked like someone who’s dreamed up more and more fiendishly bizarre scenarios to get her own way that, whilst having a huge egotistical impact on the audience inside her own febrile imagination, sounded childishly moronic by the time they came out of her mouth to a real audience. It won’t the troops that Sharon James tried to whip up outrage against same-sex couples and deny them being allowed married; they are safe in knowing that their names and faces won’t be stamped all over the history books in the classrooms of the future; they;ll all fade as nameless statistics after they’ve deserted her when this is all over it’ll be Sharon James’s name and face that will remain as the one who soullessly attempted to deny the rights of a sector of humanity from being treated equally and fairly. Not a legacy, I would think, anyone with a heart would like to be left lumbered with.

29. All I can say is that some people must smoke the weirdest shit……..

30. As a gay (admittedly primary school – which i doubt is her focus) teacher, who works with other gay teachers I have to say bollocks to her idea of teachers resigning. It is our job to teach toleration and acceptance of others, not to foster a class of minions that agree with our ideas.

I’m not out to my class, though my senior management have told me I’m free to reference my girlfriend and home life in the same way that straight teachers will discuss their partners and kids if it’s relevant to a lesson.

I teach against racism, I teach toleration of other faiths, I teach against bullying in the same way that I teach against homophobia. If you don’t agree that these things do not have a fundamental underpinning throughout the national curriculum you do not deserve the honour of influencing and attempting to inspire 30 young minds.

31. What a tame & boring claim! I feel quite ashamed of our lunatic right-wingers if this is all they can come with – where’s the imagination? Over in the US same-sex marriage has caused Hurricane Sandy and the Massacre of Endless Children – come on guys, surely you can come up with something better than ‘causing a shortage of teachers’…Where’s the fun in that?..

1. Michael Barber 13 Feb 2013, 4:17pm

Yeah, the wingnuts in America say the gays will ‘…CAUSE THE DESTRUCTION OF MANKIND…” We really get the most unhinged from reality bullshit over here.

32. This woman is nothing but a bigot, plain and simple. Does she really believe people won’t see past all her silly excuses? You can put as much lipstick as you like on a pig, at the end of the day it’s still going to oink lady!

33. And asteroids. Don’t forget the fact that gay marriage causes asteroids to hit the planet.

1. You forgot the tsunamis…..

1. Beat me to it, Dave! :D

34. Paul Essex/London 13 Feb 2013, 8:53am

And what about all the gifted individuals who would have gone into teaching and been of invaluable credit to the next generation, who didn’t simply because of the homophobia that exists in schools?

I remember speaking to young secondary school teacher some years after s28 was repealed, who said that basically nothing had changed to the treatment of LGBT education staff.

35. I feel embarrassed for her. She tells a whopping great untruth and persists in it even when it’s shown to be rubbish.

Reminds me of a small child insisting they’re not lying when it’s clear to anyone that they are. She must have no self-awareness at all.

Teachers must remain neutral as part of their job (how does she think all those chrsitian teachers manage in RE then, having to teach about other religions??); and any shortage of teachers is caused by the crap conditions, constant government interference and insistence on pointless paperwork.

36. Techiechick 13 Feb 2013, 2:52pm

Teachers are crap anyway they are like politicians out of touch with the real world.

1. Yes, teachers all live in a big desk-shaped vacuum away from the real world. Not.

Teachers come from all backgrounds and are just as much in touch with the real world as anyone else.

37. I seem to recall even being taught under Thatchers section 28, my teachers were obliged to at least acknowledge gay people existed.

38. Gay Activist Paul Mitchell 13 Feb 2013, 3:27pm

Sounds like Dr Sharon James lacks and is completely short of intelligence to me!

39. alicehowrad 14 Feb 2013, 7:32am

most ridiculous argument i’ve ever heard.

40. Jajajjajajjajajajjajajjaja

41. So if I don’t believe in gay marriage – which I don’t – I must be homophobic, nasty, bigoted, a harridan (except I’m male) and a bad influence. What a lot of hate-fuelled rubbish against a woman who has the guts to tell the truth.

42. Don Harrison 9 May 2013, 8:22pm

Dr Sharon James is this the reason we had so much rain last year?
    Do you think that is the reason I caught a cold last week?