Pope Benedict XVI to resign over ill health

1. Liam the God 11 Feb 2013, 11:23am

Good riddance. Now if we can only get all the other religious crackpots to follow suit we may have a few years of global peace!

1. Yes, good riddance to this one. But as some comedian recently said “These popes never die. They just keep replacing themselves!” Who is the next one going to be? It could be someone youngish and absolutely brimming with religious zeal, and ready to do battle with all the “evil” there is in this world, i.e., with us!

Had to laugh when I read at the end of Benedict’s resignation statement his words “And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff.”

Can an elderly grown man REALLY believe that Jesus Christ is still around, and that “his holy Mother Mary” is continually watching over Catholics! Unbelievable.

2. Here’s the man they’re ALREADY saying is the hot “favourite” to replace Benny!

1. i hope its not that gobshite from scotland !

1. At least that would get the said gobshite out of Scotland!

2. Coloured pope will be unlikely. Very unlikely. The vatican and the populus of the chruch is very anti-coloured.

3. Even if all the religions in his world are gotten rid of, people will still fight and have wars. It’s a simple fact of life. Global peace will never be achieved, it’s impossible (on a side note: Yay!, he’s gone! ) xx

4. JackAlison 11 Feb 2013, 1:58pm

yes but the worrying part is wot comes nxt?!
      some other ultra right wing ex nazi youth homophobe wearing a dress, more jewels and carmen miranda hats preaching putrid hate filled dictums

2. And the next Pope will also be anti-gay..

1. Yes – Benedict has made sure of that.

3. Age and infirmity, according to the statements. I thought that was part and parcel of being god’s “chosen one” and that suffering and persevering was part and parcel of it.

This is one method, I suppose, for the church to manage a bit of a reboot but I wouldn’t hurt my breath for the next pope not to be every bit a vile. LGBT matters aside, denying condom use, lying about it, the lives ruined – without even considering other more insidious matters – makes me far too angry whenever considering the RCC. Is change on the agenda? I doubt it.

1. Nixi Otemba 11 Feb 2013, 11:45am

it can never be such a monster as this one, hiding all the pedophiles, and all the rest of course, wish him a nasty ending

1. I totally agree

2. fauxtronic 11 Feb 2013, 1:08pm

Abuse of children by Catholic priests has been known about since the late 1800s, and the scandal (which was particularly explosive in the United States) came to light on the previous Pope’s watch.

So… it has always been “such as monster as this one” with exceedingly few exceptions. The next Pope is unlikely to be any different.

2. Isn’t it just UNBELIEVABLE how within, literally, MINUTES of the announcement of Benny’s sad sad resignation, it is already known how Catholics feel about who should replace him! There’s no disguising their grief!

4. casparthegood 11 Feb 2013, 11:32am

Can they maybe get one that has got up to the 20th century at least ?

5. I was hoping to hear he had been assassinated or caught dipping into a choirboy. I bet some scandal will come out soon.

1. I am hoping its down to either a venereal disease (syphillis induced dementia) or he has seen the errors of his ways and is moiving to the UK to marry his long term male partner !

2. The suddenness of the announcement does make me suspect it’s to stave off some enormous scandal.

1. PantoHorse 11 Feb 2013, 2:37pm

I can’t help thinking the same. The truth will come out though, as it usually has a habit of doing.

6. Good riddance , surely it won’t be missed . Let’s hope the church gets someone more human , compassionate and fairer but I won’t hold my breath …

7. Can’t wait for the next series of Pope Idol…

1. JUDGES: Your Anti gayness I am just not feeling it. wheres your passion?
      POPE TO BE: I’m Sorry you feel that way However, I really respect your
      comments.
      JUDGES: Only kidding you through to the next round

Pope Idol LOVE IT Simon Cowell has missed a trick there

1. PMSL!

I hope they have updated it for this season though… last time round I was not sure whether they were voting, cremating or doing both.

8. Rhys is, of course, probably right but will the next pope be as impulsively anti-gay as Benedict XVI? In his resignation statement, now on BBC news, he has placed modernity and “questions of deep relevance for the life of faith” at the heart of his successor’s ministry. Here is what he has said:

“In today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognise my incapacity to adequately fulfil the ministry entrusted to me.”

This is a massive, unprecedented wake-up call for the Catholic church and the world. Benedict’s successor will have no choice other than to engage with “questions of deep relevance for the life of faith” in a more modern, youthful, and less dogmatic way than has been the case up until this point.

1. Let’s hope your logic is as logical to the church!

1. Well, my cautious optimism has its limits Emory! Really though, they could hardly replace one crusty old-school reactionary who, by his own admission, can’t keep pace with the modern world with another one. After Benedict’s statement, such an appointment would simply lack basic credibility.

1. He was, when he was appointed, seen mostly as a “placeholder Pope”, there to keep the seat warm while they were waiting for a younger generation to produce a suitable cardinal.

We’ll just wait and see, and hope the next man has a better background in actual science.

2. The next Pope will probably be one of those dreadful East or West African Cardinals wearing a gay man’s testicles around his neck instead of a cross!

9. He’s wanked out.

10. You know, it could be that given the extraordinarily concert efforts of the Catholics of France and the United Kingdom over recent months to thwart granting equal marriage rights to us, Benny is actually throwing in the towel. Since Tuesday last week he may have been moping around the corridors of the Vatican, telling himself that he’s failed, down on his knees begging forgiveness of his Jesus in heaven and his “maternal Mother Mary”!

Yes, Benny, baby, you FAILED.

AND SO WILL YOUR REPLACEMENT!

Your pernicious and deluded church is DYING.

1. Two thums up for its death.

11. Please imagine Eric Carman’s voice for the following word:

“Yay!”

12. Ladbroke’s has apparently put forward the Ghanian (black) cardinal Peter Turkson as favourite to replace Benny!

Wikipedia says “In 2009, he reaffirmed the Catholic social teaching on contraception, in regards to statements made by Pope Benedict XVI that condoms were not a solution to Africa’s AIDS crisis and were taken out of context by the media.[15] Turkson did not rule out condoms in all circumstances suggesting they could be useful in the situation of a married, faithful couple where one partner is infected; although he warns that, as the quality of condoms in Africa is poor, their use could engender false confidence. He said abstinence, fidelity, and refraining from sex if infected were the key to fighting the epidemic. He also believes that the money being spent on condoms would be better spent providing anti-retroviral drugs to those already infected.”

1. Doesn’t it seem hypocritical that a gambling organisation gives odds on the next pope! Isn’t gambling a sin to them?

1. Not for catholics. When I was a child, I used to go to Bingo nights in the church hall, organised by my catholic church’s pro-life group.

13. How long before some nutty Catholic claims the Pope’s poor health to have been caused by people fighting for gay-marriage?

If the Holy Spirit is listening and decides to guide the Papal conclave He could do worse than listen to the majority of Catholic laity who support gay rights.

Oh, and one of those eligible to vote for the next pope is Cardinal Roger Mahony, former Archbishop of Los Angeles, recently removed from duties for covering up abuse by priests and now accused of secretly taking money ($115million) for cemetery upkeep to pay off the victims.

1. casparthegood 11 Feb 2013, 6:08pm

AWW shucks . Gay people get the blame for everything from Tornadoes to bridge collapses so we wouldn’t want to be left out of this one would we?

14. And the third favourite is apparently Francis Arinze, a Nigerian!

So the odds of a black evangelist getting the job are high!

No. 2 is a cardinal (white) from Quebec who has apparently claimed that the Catholic Church is a persecuted minority in the modern world.

1. Turcotte???

15. Jock S. Trap 11 Feb 2013, 12:02pm

Good Riddance…. Now for the next Bigot!! |Yawn.

Time for it all to come to an end and the wealth could probably stop the starvation in this world.

16. He will always be known as the Nazi Pope. Hopefully the next “Master of the Sky Faeries” will be non German and Merkel will be able to stop vetoing secondary gay equality legislation…….giving Germany a chance up to about a 1980s level of gay equality.

17. Pavlos Prince of Greece 11 Feb 2013, 12:15pm

Symbolic gesture for the beginning of ‘annus horibilis’ of Catholic Church (same-sex marriage laws around the world). But – as living person Ex-Papa Ratzi will now very strong influence the Conclave and election of new Cesar of Rome. Sadly.

18. So he’s “fallible” then.

Another lie.

19. Georg Friedrich 11 Feb 2013, 12:18pm

And we are no more the Pope (new form of German imperialism). Good – The Fourth Reich is over!

20. Not happy about. He was suppose to die to leave the religious throne. I want him to die not resign.

Oh well, I will have to be happy with a resignation.

21. Wow that was quick!

Actually same sex marriages are consistant with the Catholic church according to protestantnism one of the Popes was buried with his boyfriend . true. That is what happens when you change the Truth.

Bye Bye go and rest .
    The poor lamb looks really frail..

22. I suppose we can hope that the next pope will be liberal, although I very much doubt it.

I understand our own Cardinal O’Bigot (O’Brien) had his papal name picked out last time around just in case he was picked – it was Andrew, apparently. I really, really hope he’s not chosen!

23. Good riddance to the old bigot. I, for one won’t lose any sleep over it. It’s very odd though..a pope resigning. Wonder if he is doing so before some scandal is found out. Hmmmmm!!!

24. ….Only to be replaced by another closeted sexual disfunctional, with a Tea-Cosy on His head

1. “a closeted sexual disfunctional”! Exactement, monseiur! Exactement!

25. I can’t wait to urinate on his grave!

26. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

27. What will he be called after he retires?

Ex Benedict.

[I wish I could claim that for my own, but a friend of a friend wrote it on Facebook.]

28. Celebrate good times come on!!! :P

29. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1034oq97cU

Ohhhh Scary!! Last days…signs of the last days!!

1. Thanks for that URL! Entertaining stuff!

If only we did have just one more pope person to go! How wonderful that would be!

1. http://www.gotquestions.org/black-pope.html

Oh its the end of the world….oh woe!!

30. Good.

31. Robert A. Cuthbertson 11 Feb 2013, 1:47pm

He won’t be missed by a lot of us..and those who will miss him do not understand his hatred and bigotry

32. God riddance!

33. Benny, you have been evicted, please leave the Big Pontiff house,
    Benny you have been evicted, please leave the Big Pontiff house…
    Here’s some of your best bits:

34. I’m confused. Aren’t these people suppose to help prevent wars and build peace? Why do they put so much effort into dividing? Isn’t “my way is the only way” is what starts most wars? But, they would rather choose to label a man’s love for a man and the prevention of unwanted babies as the primary evil in the world. … umm, yea, ok.

35. In retirement he will be forced to remain silent so we might as all break out into a chorus of Ding-Dong! The Witch is Dead!

36. Brett Gibson 11 Feb 2013, 2:48pm

Look what “God” does to those who dedicate their lives to him. Think I’m gonna go enjoy some anal sex, some prawns and oh, some free thought.

37. I see the Christian Institute web page has yet to report the news. No doubt a blindfolded chimp would be quicker off the mark writing up an article.

38. Dennis Velco 11 Feb 2013, 2:56pm

If the just replace him with someone like him they are continuing on their own path of being doomed to fall and fail. May they do so as hastily as possible.

Thanks for this article and your reporting. What you do is appreciated.

I posted it to my LGBT Group on LinkedIn with over 18,000+ global members to spur members to read your article and to make comment. I also scooped it at Scoop.It on my LGBT Times news mashup.

Link to group >> http://www.linkedin.com/groups/LGBT-Gay-GLBT-Professional-Network-63687/about

All LGBT+ and community allies…. please come join me and 18,000+ of your soon to be great connections on LinkedIn. The member base represents 80% of the world’s countries.

It’s core value is – Visibility can lead to awareness which can lead to equality. Come stand with us and increase our visibility on the globe’s largest professional networking site. Be a professional who just happens to be LGBT – or a welcomed community ally.

39. Garry Cassell 11 Feb 2013, 2:59pm

Good news but could be better…if all the biggots died now that would be NEWS…

40. Don’t get too excited, folks.

Whoever replaces this repulsive frocked creature will likely follow the same divisive agendas to the letter or be an ever worse manifestation of pure evil.

Corruption, child abuse and cover-up – which Bennie aided and abetted in – sadly appear to be the way of the world these days…

41. Helge Vladimir Tiller 11 Feb 2013, 3:44pm

I invite all LGBT persons – all over The World- to shout as loud as possible , the coming Sunday at twelve o’clock: WE WANT A TRANSGENDER POPE ! WE WANT A TRANSGENDER POPE !

42. Is there some even worse scandal, that is about to break about the RC Church?

Just wondering if he is doing a runner. Even if it is a very slow run.

1. I would weep tears of grave amusement if the Catholic Church had another scandal… I mean really what could they do much worse than molesting children and starting wars?

43. It is enough to know that this hateful man will be consigned to the dustbin of history. No recycling, please.

44. DivusAntinous 11 Feb 2013, 4:03pm

Poor stamina, very poor stamina. Retiring after what, 8 years? Our female Queen has been going for 60 and vows to carry on till she is dead.

It is rather odd that he’s resigned. The first Pope to resign since the 15th century, very odd indeed. I sense a scandal.

1. Perhaps they found his good looking secretary Archbishop Ganswein giving him a hand job!

1. DivusAntinous 11 Feb 2013, 10:51pm

Ooo, he is rather pretty. I wouldn’t blame His Holiness for having his way with him. haha

45. Btw the BBC is having a field day over so much ‘Godly’ news.

Wow their editorial is bias. Sooooooo bias. I think their servers might just crash with all the religious diatribe wafting through them.

1. That’s the BBC. In the same way, they show Scotland a whole pile of pro-Westminster stuff, and ignore all the SNP/Independence news.

The BBC is incredibly biased.

1. The news in Scotland is full of nothing but independence stories these days – even in the BBC. As someone who doesn’t support any one political party and who is undecided on independence, I think most of the independence news is fairly balanced (except in the Daily Mail & Telegraph). But it’s understandable for people with strong views either way to be less objective.

46. As I have said before, it would be nice to stand side by side before God, with the likes of this Pope. Perhaps then the Pope would realise his failings when God puts him right about his fellow human beings.
    How can the Catholic Church condemn homosexuals with one breath and support regimes that would terrorise them with another?
    The Pope seems to be selectively evil and so naive. I would ask that God educates him for the sake of mankind.

47. Katie kool-eyes 11 Feb 2013, 4:31pm

Is his ill health punishment from god?

48. Janet Lameck 11 Feb 2013, 4:49pm

Good RIDDANCE!!!

49. Mister Fister 11 Feb 2013, 5:14pm

After reading on PN about the spite and hatefulness directed at us day after day by religious bigots along comes a story that has put the biggest smile on my face for a long while. Woo! Hoo!

50. …what a load of rubbish. He isn’t ill at all that’s just a cover up for saying he can no longer cope with the onslaught of Gay propaganda, (probably a closet poof himself like many others)…he can’t take the heat so is going….someone else needs to take the helm and good luck is most probably what he thinks….

51. i would like to remind all pink readers that there are thousands of gay Cathoilcs and a little respect wouldn’t go a miss….for those who believe in God no explanation is necessary…for those who don’t believe in God no evidence will surfice….i look forward to all the minus…..God bless you all….

1. I know there are thousands of gay Catholics, not that you would know it as half the time judging by the lack of protest to some of the dreadful remarks coming from the Vatican. As far as respect is concerned that’s a two way street with precious little coming our way EVER!!! If there is a God then He should be ashamed of Himself for what He has allowed to happen in His name…. John, I respectfully ask you to keep your blessing for those who are happy to blindly follow a faith that is hateful, bigoted and has a “do as I say and not as I do” attitude…..!!

2. Rest assured I will do my best to extend the same level of respect to the pope that he extended to the entire gay community during his 7 year tenure at the top – the sum total of none at all.
      If you’re gay and catholic I can only suggest that other non-homophobic denominations are available. Just putting it out there…

3. …so much for the ‘inclusive’ agenda of those who label themselves all about ‘equality’ and ‘gay’ – if you are Catholic you are below contempt(reference to thousands of hate filled Anti-Catholicism on here) .John take strength , the Church welcomes you with open arms .The only thing to do is to pray for those who despise you .

52. I smell a scandal in the offing!!! Perhaps the goose stepping Pontiff jumped before he was pushed?!?! If the Ghanaian we will go back to the dark ages…..

1. * that should read If the Ghanaian gets in we will go back to the dark ages….

2. Oh.
      You beat me to it; I have just read your post, Steve, having just had my two penn’orth.
      I think so too.
      All comes too close on the heels of Gabriele.
      That whole institution stinks worse than Fleetwood Docks.
      Why do they think we are all morons…!

53. Brenda Louise 11 Feb 2013, 6:33pm

Good riddance. But the Roman Catholic church has many people in it’s lower leadership who have their own separate agendas to be held over the Roman Catholic community. Religious leadership is fraught with superiors who demand obedience to them and their agendas, even if the leadership is wrong.

54. Resigning.?
    Don’t you believe it.
    The man’s jumping before he is ‘pushed’.
    He had become an embarrassment, I think you’ll find.
    Wonder what’ll happen to Georgeous Georg.

55. Gary Gianini 11 Feb 2013, 7:20pm

Another one will be chosen by the arrogant, ignorant cardinals to carry on the tradition of manipulation, domination and control. The Vatican Corporation will live on.

56. john lyttle 11 Feb 2013, 7:58pm

I shall miss the fashion statements.

57. “Catholic baiting is the anti-Semitism of the liberals.”

1. Unlikely – there are a lot more interesting things to think about, despite the papists’ best efforts to provide an inexhaustible source for humour of a sardonic variety.