UKIP leader Nigel Farage blames European Commission report for David Cameron’s same-sex marriage bill

1. Coemgenus 8 Feb 2013, 7:03pm

Wow! so UKIP do have other policies than Europhobia – homophobia! What a lovverly bunch!

2. Robert (Kettering) 8 Feb 2013, 7:27pm

One of the vilest, nasty, self seeking, bigoted men in UK politics today. I truly loath this man and can’t even stand to see him on TV! He makes my skin crawl.

1. Apparently the bigot, Nigel Farage, is a descendant of European immigrants. How ironic. http://goo.gl/Lzqzc

3. CH Brighton 8 Feb 2013, 7:34pm

Thank you Brussels, then. Let’s have more of the same!

1. It’s nothing to do with Brussels. You really think Poland, Italy and others will legalise gay marriage any time soon? This is just Farage’s usual conspiracy theorising about “Brussels” because he and his homophobes can’t accept the UK wants this legislation.

4. bobbleobble 8 Feb 2013, 7:39pm

If in doubt make it up, that seems to be UKIP’s way. Farage really is sick making. Presumably the EU is also forcing Uruguay and New Zealand eh Nige? And if it’s really some European top down thing then why’s this only happening here and France? I love how he only just managed to find a document from 2010 now, a public document at that, and tried to make it a big thing. What a prat.

1. He is the only man sticking up for our rights against a world government, he is the only one to give straight answers, I want to see him in Downing Street. Just take a look at the state this country is in under the lab/libs and cons, no-one can do worse!

1. I think he could, way worse.

2. He isn’t. I am a former supporter of the BNP. I have resigned from
        being a member because Griffin has trashed the party and one of the ways he has done it is to fail to move it in a more liberal direction on this matter of sexuality. Griffin in a pathetic attempt to keep hold of the BNP’s dwinding membership has now resorted to making bilious statements about gays on this twitter account. He hasn’t yet learnt that bashing gays is no way to bring success to a political party. I am still a nationalist and I am convinced gays could be among the strongest backers of nationalism if we could get rid of the loony anti-gay ranters. Personally, I am always taken a relatively liberal line on this subject because I beleive gays and bisexuals are BORN THAT WAY and sexuality is not a ‘choice’.

1. why don’t you go somewhere else to spread f@scist propaganda

1. I am not a ‘fascist’. Whatever that is!

3. bobbleobble 9 Feb 2013, 1:37pm

Whose rights is he sticking up for exactly? World government, seriously? Straight answers?! It took the man three years to find a public document and then draw completely the wrong conclusions from it either on purpose or through ignorance and you want to put your faith in him?

Farage is useless.

5. Samuel B. 8 Feb 2013, 7:47pm

Ahem, just as I have been saying all along.

This isn’t Cameron bring nice to us:- it is Cameron and Co following an EU pan US blueprint.

They can posture and scramble to get on the equal marriage bandwagon all they like, but until MPs and celebs have a proven track record supporting our rights then they can stick their vote.

I want to live in a society based on genuine respect for our rights, not one built on the back of deceit and lies, even if it means waiting longer and having a proper debate about our rightful equal standing in society.

Erm, sermon over.

1. bobbleobble 8 Feb 2013, 8:23pm

Ahem – it’s all a load of nonsense dreamed up by Farage, the fact that it feeds into your paranoia is your problem not ours. There is a genuine global movement going on at the moment in favour of same sex marriage, unless you think that the EU really does influence Uruguay, New Zealand, Colombia, the states of Illinois, Rhode Island, Delaware and all the other places that are currently discussing this issue. And if Sarkozy had won in France last year then nothing would be happening there.

You want to live in a country where you have to wait for ‘genuine respect’ (whatever that means) then go knock yourself out. As for your proper debate on our rightful standing in society well I’ve no idea what that means. Imagine my surprise that my standing in society is open to debate.

I want to live in a society where I have the same rights as everyone else. People’s respect would be a nice bonus but it isn’t necessary and I certainly don’t care if I have it or not.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 8 Feb 2013, 9:48pm

Exactly right. Don’t forget, Argentina, Mexico City, nothing to do with the EU. Then there’s Australia, Taiwan, Thailand, French Polynesia, hardly within the EU jurisdiction. Farage is delusional if he thinks the UK will pull out of the EU. Not going to happen.

1. I love conspiracy theories, they are so entertaining.

This one, secret gays rule the world, is one of the best yet.

1. Gay mafia! They put a My Little Pony’s head in your bed! (sorry, couldn’t resist it, watch way too much Will & Grace)

2. Robert in S. Kensington 8 Feb 2013, 9:42pm

Proper debate my arse. What do you think government consultations are? The British public were invited to respond to the consultation which they did and the result was that they supported equal marriage. The British people have spoken. The consultation resulted in more in favour of equal marriage. Why is it you and opponents of equal marriage never seem to be concerned about proper debate on anything else but on this one issue, you do?

The ECHR long ago stated that it would not interfere in the equal marriage debate but would leave it to individual members to decide their own legislation for or against. Obviously you and Farage don’t read or ignore the facts, just like the opposition in the UK. Making things up as you go along are you?

6. To be honest who cares what this moronic representative of a one issue, irrelevant party says. We see this week just what this man is about. Not only is he a homophobe but his treatment of women leaves a lot to be desired as well.

1. True. But unfortunately the BBC can’t get enough of him.

2. Despise the man, but it worries me how more and more popular UKIP are becoming as an anti-EU vote, regardless of there social or other policies

1. I wouldn’t get too worried about UKIP.
        They are becoming as influential as the Greens were in the mid 1980s, with about 15% support from voters, and having all it’s success in the European Parliament.
        And we all know which political party was the most influential throughout the 1980s.

2. GingerlyColors 9 Feb 2013, 7:49am

I cannot see UKIP ever getting a majority in Parliament. What is possible is that they would form part of a coalition government and demand a referendum on EU membership as the main condition for entering into a partnership with either Labour or Conservative. Voting reform was the flagship policy of the Liberal Democrats and they did force a referendum on the introduction of the ‘Alternative Vote’ when they went into government with the Conservatives, a measure which was defeated by two-thirds of those who voted. Once the European issue had been resolved UKIP will become irrelevant.

1. What is more likely is they will do for the Tories what the SDP did for Labour: split the Tory vote leading to a Labour victory.

Bring it on, Nige!

3. Dont believe all you read.

7. The EU has been debating the mutual recognition of civil status and documents for donkey years. From memeory it means that if you are married or CP in one country and have to go and live and work in another country eg you go to live in Poland or Germany then they are discussing how that country would recognise your civil status. There is no debate on forcing marriage or civil unions on any EU country as far as I know.

Without mutual recognition of civil status it prohibts gays couples having free movement within the EU . If you lose your rights as a couple when you go to Poland then you can’t move there, can you? In addition if your partner was Australian then you probably couldn’t more there at all becuase they wouldn’t recognise you as a couple.

1. Typical Ukip nonsense.

The Uk is already fully compliant with the Berlinguer proposals and has been through Schedule 20 of the Civil Partnership Act, which lists all the overseas civil unions and same-sex marriages to be given the same legal recognition in the UK.

1. The UK probably is , though perhaps not entirely , does it recognise French straight couples in a PACS? Does it recognise Dutch straight couples in CPs?

I think the problem is that if I move to Poland with my CP partner then Poland needs to recognise that I am British and that my civil status in the UK is CP, I carry that wherever I go. This in no way means that Poland has to give Polish citizens the same rights. It doesn’t have to automatically bring in CPs becase of that.

Marriage and CPs rules are up to the soeveirgn country, The EU has no rights over that but it does have control over freedom of movement of all EU citizens and you move around the EU with your civil status document.

8. Well now that same sex marriage is about to become the norm in law that means he’s lost half of his manifesto. So there’s no point in voting for UKIP now is there?
    I mean, what else have they got to offer?

9. He’s creepy :-(

1. Cardinal Capone 10 Feb 2013, 12:04am

Google Beaker from the Muppets, and compare pictures.

1. That’s Danny Alexander!

10. So UKIP’s leader has shown his true colours. Even if a EU wide same sex marriage was in place would it really be the end of the world.

11. So EU is fighting for British human rights? How wrong can that be?

12. Keith Francis Farrell 8 Feb 2013, 9:01pm

I think we need to export this idiot to the USA, he will fit in well with all the churchified loonies there. What is wron with us getting the same equal rights. I am born in the UK, my spouse is not, we cannot travil freely. I cannot get income suport because my spouse is earning £830 a month, while I await a DLA decission, which will take about anouther 8 weeks, in the mean time, my spouse has given up, and is moving to Slough, so I am left alone, to suffer and try to survive for the next 8 weeks. If I was straight I would not be in this situation.Lucky I am on the 2nd floor, I can practice diving soon.

13. “Now we know the answer”

Wow he has just stumbled over a three year old report. Where has this single issue party been for three years?

14. Oh no! The EU is trying to make things fair and equal for all people, including LGBT people. How terrible! Farage will always try and find a way to blame the EU for anything he doesn’t like. The fact of the matter is that the majority of the country support same-sex marriage, and he and his backward thinking party are on the wrong side of history.

15. Steve (Huddersfield) 8 Feb 2013, 9:17pm

Because I don’t want the UK to be in the EU I was a supporter of UKIP. I thought that this party was the one to follow to achieve those ends. However, because of their apparent homophobic agenda, I will not support or vote for them ever.again. They seem to have a Nazi style plan – anti black and anti gay!
    This is not a party that should be supported by the LBGT or ethnic minoriry communities.

1. Yes, you’re not alone there Steve. Literally hundreds of reasonable people that wanted out of the EU have left UKIP after discovering Farage’s real intent: to be the bigoted, nasty wing of the Tory Party.

1. Of all the reasons not to vote UKIP, their approach to economics
        should be one of the main reasons. Basically, UKIP are ultra-Thatcherite globalists and that way of looking at this matter has no hope in hell of ever improving Britain’s economic malaise.

2. you were either stupid or naïve to think that ukip could have been anything other then bunch of bigoted closeted racists (to paraphrase pm Cameron) exploiting british xenophobia for their own political gain

16. Daisy Wilson 8 Feb 2013, 10:00pm

Marraige is nothing to do with government. It is a church issue. Marraige is a union of a man and a woman for the procreation of children. Get over it

1. “Marriage is a union of a man and a woman for the procreation of children. Get over it.”

LOL!!!!!

Not for much longer dear. GET OVER THAT!!!

Anyway, what about all those heterosexual marriages in which there is no possibility of having children by procreation – i.e. all those post-menopausal women who marry and all those couples who marry, even though one is infertile. There are plenty of marriages like that and I’m sure they’d be totally disgusted with your comment.

The views in your post are so, so factually wrong and unintelligent. There is so much more I could write to try and explain to you, but it’s not worth my time as you’re probably beyond help. Poor woman.

2. Daisy, does that mean your’re pretty relaxed then with the idea of the Quakers, the liberal jews and unitarians doing marriages for same sex couples ?

3. You’re losing the argument and more and more people EVERY DAY are changing the hearts and minds and standing with us. Get over THAT!

And by the way, if you’re going to be so damned eager to “defend” marriage, for god’s sake at least learn to SPELL IT!

4. Robert in S. Kensington 9 Feb 2013, 12:54pm

You’re really stupid. Civil marriage isn’t a church issue. For your information, marriage is regulated by the government, both religious and civil. Who do you think issues marriage certificates? Name one church that does that.? The Unitarians, Quakers, Liberal and Reformed Judaism, 150+ Anglican priests support it. It is you who needs to get over it and over yourself. Equal marriage is coming and if you don’t like it, go live in Iran.

1. bobbleobble 9 Feb 2013, 1:34pm

I’d go further. In this country there is no such thing as religious marriage. However you might want to dress it up unless and until you sign the register in the presence of a registrar and two witnesses you are not married. It doesn’t matter how many Catholic priests or imams or even Anglican vicars tell you that you are now man and wife if you haven’t signed the register then you ain’t tied the knot.

5. You should tell that to the majority of married couples who don’t get married in a religious setting Daisy. Oh, and don’t forget the numerous married couple who for various reasons are childless.

6. Ah, so all those civil weddings at my local registry office are just figments of my imagination, are they, Daisy? Or are you actually talking cr*p?!

Funny how so many people professing to be ‘protecting marriage’ have no idea what marriage actually is! :D Civil marriage makes NO mention of procreation and is not in any way religious. Clear enough?

1. I reckon this “Daisy” has been reading rather too much of that demented zealot known as “St. Paul”. And I reckon this “Daisy” would benefit by studying some anthropological analyses of contracts between loving couples throughout the history of humankind.

7. Robert in S. Kensington 10 Feb 2013, 1:16pm

Get over yourself, Daisy. A quadraplegic heterosexual male is often rendered impotent. How on earth could he procreate within a marriage? Explain! The sole purpose of civil marriage is NOT about procreation. There is no mandate to have children when one marries in a registrar’s office. There are plenty of hetero married fertile couples who choose not to have children, what next, ban them too, you stupid bint.

8. Grow up! Stephen Hawking married after he was confined to a wheelchair, with no possibility of a sex life, let alone children.
      When I was a boy, before IVF, many, many couples were not “blessed”, as the saying was, with children, were they less married?

17. Dinosaurs and (sooo passé) conspiracy theorists unite – UKIP is collecting the vilest lunatics from across the political landscape. Please drop them into the nearest Findus waste disposal bin!

1. devoutskeptic 9 Feb 2013, 12:10am

Yes, that’s a fine and intelligent point of view. You are brainwashed.

1. A devout skeptic should use rational means to seek to disprove any statement with which they disagree.

18. Nigel Farage is so incredibly opportunistic. He is only trying to bag the votes of those social-conservatives that would have always previously voted for the Conservative Party. He will go to any length to get their votes and as same-sex marriage is now topical he’ll become more outspoken in his anti-gay ‘credentials’.

If he wants his party to be a haven for the bigoted and Christian right-wing voters, let him, as the majority of the Conservative Party will then become more centrist which can only be good for us in the long term.

1. Craig Nelson 8 Feb 2013, 10:37pm

I think he is trying to detoxify the Conservatives by being so extreme that they start to look sensible and moderate.

1. Craig, if he does manage to actually detoxify the Conservatives, then good luck to him! He is welcome to all those ‘toxic’ Tories. Hopefully it will help the party to become more moderate in general. UKIP will never form a Government, but the Conservatives will again. If future Conservative Governments are more moderate due to the party’s ‘toxic’ element moving to UKIP, then Nigel Farage voicing his anti-equality ‘credentials’ from the fringes could actually be beneficial to us in the long term.

1. “UKIP will never form a Government, but the Conservatives will again.”

Not this side of 2020, unless the opposition shoots itself in the foot, or we have a rapid “Wirtschaftswunder” (Economic miracle)! Which seems very unlikely, listening to the gloomy reports of economic forecasters on the BBC!

1. Jock S. Trap 11 Feb 2013, 11:07am

“listening to the gloomy reports of economic forecasters on the BBC!”

The BBC only ever seem to give ‘gloomy’ forecasts and news. It’s what they appeal too.

19. Common sense 8 Feb 2013, 11:25pm

What a silly silly man. The mutual recognition of civil marriage and civil partnerships is not actually a new thing. If it forced member states to introduce civil registration of gay people then the pressure would come on to countries like ITaly, Poland or Greece that have absolutely no recognition of gay relationships and no plans to introduce any for themselves.

20. He “blames the EU” whereas I would “credit” the EU.

Isn’t it interesting how two people can have completely different perspectives on the same thing.

1. You should neither blame nor credit the EU because what he says is a load of rubbish (as usual).

21. devoutskeptic 9 Feb 2013, 12:07am

This is true – Cameron hasn’t suddenly become a champion of gay rights. The idea that he was doing it on principle was always ridiculous. This was not even part of the Coalition work program in 2010. Gay marriage has been required by the UN qua the EU. The UK assumed Chairmanship of the Council of Europe in Nov 11 and the timetable for implementation of Protocol 12 is required by 2013. I see nothing in this article in which Farage says anything homophobic. He is not opposing gay marriage; he is merely stating a fact as to where this has come from.

under UN Agenda 21.

1. Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Poland, Malta, Luxembourg, Lithuania, Latvia, Ireland, Italy, Hungary, Greece, Germany, Finland, Estonia, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Bulgaria, and Austria.

None of the above are EU countries, because EU countries are being made to legislate for same sex marriages, and the nations listed are not legislating for same sex marriages.

1. Good comment, Mr. Stuie, but do provide a little indication when your tongue is in your cheek. It’s not always easy to see where a person’s tongue is when he or she is posting a comment! ;-)

1. Yes, I nearly embarrassed myself with a comment, till I re-read it!

2. The EU has no power over civil union or marriage laws. It’s entirely up to them whether they bring them in.

The issue is whether you keep your civil status or at least the rights of that status when you move to another country in the EU. Even if the UK didn’t bring in marriage for same sex couples the issue remains the same as to whether we retain the same rights as we have in the UK under civil partnerships when we move to countries like France, Poland , Italy etc . The issue has been there for ages , it was there under Blair and Brown. The issue hasn’t suddenly arisen becuase Cameron has decided to go for same sex marriage and it’s got nothing to do with same sex marriage. The issue is still the same for straight CPs/Pacs couples from France, Belgium and Holland moving around the EU.

It’s a non sexual orientation issue! It affects eveyone apart from straight married couples because marriage is recognised wordlwide or at least EU wide.

1. devoutskeptic 10 Feb 2013, 7:42pm

John, did you read the article in the link?
        This comes from Strasbourg and the ECHR. As a founder member of the Council of Europe and the first country to ratify the European Convention on Human Rights, it obliges the UK to put same sex relationships on the same footing as opposite sex relationships. To quote from the article:
        “24. Where national legislation recognises registered same-sex partnerships, member states should seek to ensure that their legal status and their rights and obligations are equivalent to those of heterosexual couples in a comparable situation.

Although these were framed as “recommendations”, they were headed “Right to respect for private and family life”, which makes them, effectively, the CoE official interpretation of Article 8 of the ECHR. To all intents and purposes, it has the effect of treaty law – certainly as far as the UK is concerned.”

1. Try looking up “recommendations”, then read it again properly. This also only refers to nations that already have CP’s in place.

Why are Eurosceptics so often incapable or unwilling to separate truth from their own fantasy / paranoia?

22. The Daily Mail readers worship Farage in an almost childlike way, it’s utterly nauseating. Reading the comments section on there would be funny if it wasn’t for the fact that these people lap up every word he says. Mind you when people posting on that site have usernames such as “tired of living in the EUSSR” what do you expect? His kind of politics appeal to the mean-minded and reactionary, all that talk about “winning our freedom back from Brussels” (whatever that means) is nonsense. It’s the party for people who find the BNP too working class and vulgar.

1. There are profound differences between the BNP and UKIP. UKIP are
      basically Thatcherite Tories who are against our EU membership and would prefer to see us more closely in bed with the USA (god help us!). They are NOT nationalists. Their economic policies couldn’t rectify our economic malaise in anyway so it is not surprising that braindead Tories back them. This is presumably the real reason why they only do well at European elections, haven’t won a by-election yet and have no local government base to speak of. Put simply, their political appeal is very limited and it is their economic policies which preclude a wide appeal to the electorate. I mean, what sort of crazy nonsense is flat taxes? Even George Osbourne wouldn’t advocate this in public as it would mean the ultra-rich would pay virtually no tax at all.

1. I disagree in some ways based on the comments I’ve read on that site and many of their politicians. Many people who vote for them do so out of their own prejudices, a big reason Mail readers and their ilk want us to leave Europe is because then we can scrap this ‘yuman rights “nonsense” imposed on us. Of course many people have used them as a protest vote, but I’m talking about the hardcore UKIP members who are just as bigoted as BNP members, but they see them as a bit too proletarian and thuggish for their liking. Of course there are differences, but they do attract ultra-nationalists even if their policies come across as less extreme on the surface. Some of them are Thatcherite but a lot are people who like their racism and xenophobia spouted by nice posh people.

23. These anti equal marriage creeps like farrage, mad nad dorries treat the reasonable British public with such contempt as being idiots . Their hypocrisy on one man one woman marriage needs to be exposed. Neither of these two bigots is still with their first spouse , hardly in a situation to preach to others of marriage being between one man and woman rubbish. Their personal scenerios need to be dragged into every clumsy debate they raise about equal marriage.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 10 Feb 2013, 1:10pm

Quite right. In the case of the heterosexual adulterers, they should be reminded of Princess Diana’s words on the subject when Charles was cavorting with Camilla when she said..”there are three people in this marriage”. These bigots have the affrontery to raise the slippery slope to polygamy argument, not to mention incest and bestiality, if gays were allowed to marry. Bloody hypocrital bigots. Stupid too!

24. Sod off, Nigel.

25. Lukefromcanada 9 Feb 2013, 4:17am

they only see what they want to see, and hear what they want to hear, they claim there is no mandate but i think there was and this is hardly out of the blue its been discussed for at least a year

1. Robert in S. Kensington 10 Feb 2013, 1:26pm

The consultation proved there was a mandate because the British people said yes to equal marriage. What Parliament did on February 5th was to carry out the wishes of the people by overwhelmingly voting yes in a super majority. End of. Expect some back-pedalling from a few in opposition as the amendments are completed, just to save face.

26. GingerlyColors 9 Feb 2013, 7:40am

Did the EU also push for equal marriage in Norway and Iceland?

27. It is not so much that UKIP have Europhobia but they want to hold on to OUR culture and make our own laws, I do not want a world government, ALL our rights will be gone. And yes they do have other policies but get us out of Europe 1st and then sort our own house out.

1. “It is not so much that UKIP have Europhobia”
      LOL.

if you want the UK to get in an even worse economic shape than it already is, with only rights for rich, white, straight people, then you should indeed give them your vote.

1. If you think Lady Thatcher was unfairly treated by her party (I have some sympathy for that point-of-view) and should still be PM then vote UKIP. UKIP AREN’T nationalists. They are just the Thatcherite anti-EU wing of the Tory Party. If you think the ultra-rich should pay virtually no taxes and think George Osbourne isn’t fair to the very wealthy then vote UKIP.

1. If they aren’t nationalists, why do they spend so much time obsessing over the evils of multiculturalism?

2. How stupid to claim that the fiercely nationalistic French, or the Irish, who fought the oppression of the English for eight centuries care less than we for our culture and heritage! Yet that is what the Europhobes imply, that the other 26 nations are in favour of a superstate!
      Grow up, it’s not 1940 any more!

28. If you think Nigel is homophobic, wait til the muslims take over. I think he would make a fab PM.

1. bobbleobble 9 Feb 2013, 1:09pm

5 of the 8 muslims in Parliament voted with the government to make same sex marriage legal. 2 abstained or didn’t vote. Only one voted against. Farage and his ilk never want us to have the right to marry. So who exactly should we be afraid of?

2. I don’t think Farage would make “a fab PM” at all. He would be a disaster, an embarrassment.

As for the Muslims taking over, that’s a different matter: we need to pay much more attention to Muslim communities in the UK today who are actually operating by Sharia law, who are condoning female genital mutilation, and so forth.

There are now FIVE mosques in Oxford, while last week 10 young male Muslim residents of Oxford were tried for abusing and raping young white Oxfordfordshire girls.

29. OMG the gays are coming!!!! RUN !!!!

30. More diatribe from a self-styled clown. Who could forget the moment he took to the skies on election day in a light aircraft only to have the stupid banner they were towing foul itself around the plane thus bringing them crashing to the ground.

Here’s another example of Mr Farage’s idiotic ill-fated, moronic attempts at self publicity.

However, we should all be grateful to him for the many laughs he’s given us, with clearly, even more to come.

31. Jock S. Trap 9 Feb 2013, 10:34am

It’s time Nigel Farage and his UKip started to see that this was still voted in with a large majority ie democracy at work. He is, as usual, out of touch with the public with his ever so desperate attempt at seeking the popular vote… or so he thinks.

32. Liam the God 9 Feb 2013, 10:50am

Mugabe blames all of Zimbabwe’s ills on Britain, Alex Salmond tries to blame all of Scotlands misfortunes on England, and Fascist Farage is now blaming Equality on the EU. It’s easy to see why he wants us out of the EU now: “Back to the workhouses, Peasants! HANG that man for being gay! Get orf my land, lower-class scum!”. What a sack of shite :/

1. Common sense 9 Feb 2013, 9:52pm

Please please do not imply there is some kind of equivalence between Salmond and Mugabe/Farage. I am not an SNP supporter but I am a scot and I can tell you Salmond quite specifically does NOT blame everything on England and has actually suggested several times that others stop playing at what is a rather puerile blame game. The SNP are a left of centre Democratic Party that gained a clear majority at the last election by embracing the Center of Scottish politics. They are not extremists or a fringe party.

1. I second this man…Or woman.

2. Liam the God 10 Feb 2013, 12:37am

I apologise. It was a throwaway comment without thought of possible offence. I can’t delete it, though. The basic GIST stands, however: UKIP blaming Europe is like…. *insert analogy/simile (I can never remember the difference) here….*

2. Liam, I have paid a lot of attention to the Scottish question, and I agree that Alex Salmond is motivated in much the same way that Farage is.

Despite the big noise he makes, Farage is actually one of those frightened little people who wants his own little house, with his own little fence running all the way round it, and nothing to do with the rest of the entire WORLD! Problems in Africa: “Not our business!” says Farage! Millions suffering from HIV: “Not in my family, they’re not!” says Farage! And so on, and so on. But when the Islamic missiles come whizzing towards Mr. Farage’s little house, he’s going to look so silly. Too late, Nigel.

33. Robert in S. Kensington 9 Feb 2013, 12:58pm

Farage obviously can’t hear or read. 400-175 (should really be 400-136 who actually voted) is a huge super majority in Parliament. Those same MPs carried out the wishes of the majority of the British public, rightly so, that is their job, regardless of personal beliefs or conscience. They just don’t like it and refuse to concede defeat.

C4M doesn’t even acknowledge the 400 who voted yes, but concentrate on what they construe as a victory that 175 voted no. Morons!

34. We wouldn’t want him. Our economic approach is much more sensible.

Our model for a successful economy would be South Korea and Japan and not the USA.

1. Yes, and Japan is doing so well economically! (sarcasm)

1. I do concede the fact that Japan does have some economic problems
        but compared to ours they pale into insignificance. Japan has a vibrant home-owned manufacturing industry (we have very little), they have a trade SUPLUS (we have a very large deficit) and they have relatively little unemployment (we have a very severe problem)

35. ukp, unprincipled entity that like common whore shamelessly subsides its existence with EU money

36. There is so much anger as ever on the pink news com boxes – filled mainly by right wing gay men!! … The hate on here is incredible and there many marriagephobic comments. Get over yourselves and your insecurities and start living!

1. bobbleobble 9 Feb 2013, 5:30pm

Well first of all I’m not right wing and I live quite a fun life thanks very much.

I haven’t seen anything at all on here that could be described as marriagephobic. In fact the majority of people on this comment thread are so pro marriage we’d actually quite like to be able to do it ourselves. Can you explain what this means?

Oh and why shouldn’t we be angry when people like Farage make stuff up and seek to limit our rights? Why shouldn’t we be angry that we are denied equal rights in the first place? If you don’t like it here you are not required to read or post. We won’t miss you if you decide to leave.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 9 Feb 2013, 6:44pm

I concur. Did you happen to hear black Labour MP David Lammy’s speech on the day of the vote? One of the most if not most moving speeches of all. An MP who really understands the meaning of discrimination probably more than anyone else in the House. Farage would do well to listen to it, he might learn something very profound.

For all of those who didn’t hear it, here it is:

2. Your a marriagephobe and I do engage with bigots like you, anti marriage bigot, seeking to impose your dogmatic ideology on me, if you don’t like marriage fine but DON’T seek to impose your right wing ideology on me. You people disgust me, you live in the dark ages

1. ??? :-O

lol

You make me laugh a little nervously Sally! I wouldn’t like to bump into you in real life. I’d be afraid, VERY afraid!! You’re contribution to this page is rather strange to say the least! Why on earth would gay people be “marriagephobic” if they desire to have the right to marry just like heterosexuals? How is that in any way “marriagephobic”? How is that in any way “dogmatic”? How is that in any way “right-wing”? It is none of those things you accuse us of. In fact, your accusations are extremely outlandish that it is YOU who sounds right-wing, very right-wing!

Perhaps you’re just eccentric. Poor, silly Sally.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 10 Feb 2013, 1:00pm

She needs to get back on ‘her’ meds, assuming it’s really a she, seems to be in a state of delirium.

2. I love marriage, I can’t wait to get married once it’s possible. How that makes me marriagephobic I’ll never know.

Are you feeling ok? Need a lie down?

2. “Marriagephobic”??? Hateful??? What planet are you living on? There is legislation currently going through Parliament to enable gay men and women to marry in England and Wales. We want equal marriage rights! Many of us WANT TO get married in the same way that heterosexuals can marry. What’s hateful about that? There’s nothing hateful about rightfully expecting equality. Anyone who wishes to lecture us from a position of supposed superiority should get over themselves and their arrogance! Gay men and women WILL be able to marry, so get over it, move on and start living!

Sally, you should drop the ‘a’ in your name and replace it with an ‘i’.

3. Poor Sally needs to read Nick Bayliss’s excellent “Rough Guide to Happiness” and quick. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH ANGER! Anger is a natural and valuable human emotion. It propels us forward. It enables us to overcome that which must be overcome. Long live anger with discrimination! Long live anger with homophobia! And long live anger with brainless, silly, woolly-minded individuals who unthinkingly just “go with the flow”!

37. just looked it up. we signed up for it. big deal. big. and. deal.

forage is obviously trying to appease the right-wingers in his “party” – can’t have a right-wing party, not being right-wing… etc

38. Pavlos Prince of Greece 9 Feb 2013, 7:42pm

Are (on the map of Mr. Farage) following countries not members of EU: Italy, Malta, Greece, Cyprus, Poland, Slovakia, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Bulgaria, Romania? Neither of them have no legal recognition of same-sex couples. Germany, Tshech Republic, Hungary have civil partnerships only (and no gay marriage in the very near future0, as well as Ireland, Luxembourg and Finland (with plans to make gay marriage legal very soon).

39. As if anyone, gay or straight, cared about UKIP. LOL.

40. Cardinal Capone 10 Feb 2013, 12:07am

I see his photo, and just see Beaker from the Muppets running around, terrified of Europe.

1. MEP! MEP MEP MEP! MEP MEP!

41. Nigel is so hot!

1. Liam the God 10 Feb 2013, 11:24am

Not hot enough. If he was ON FIRE you’d be getting closer ;)

42. Ricky Ivanov 10 Feb 2013, 9:04am

‘It is not easy to see how the more extreme forms of nationalism can long survive when men have seen the Earth in its true perspective as a single small globe against the stars.’

Arthur C. Clarke
    Science-fiction writer

43. whats next? calling Cameron a treacherous jew? I would put it past them….

44. There is a simple choice. Vote LibLabCon to stay in the EU-SSR or vote UKIP to leave the EU-SSR!
    – Rod, London, United Kingdom, 10/2/2013 2:19
    Click to rate     Rating   1084

That comment on the Mail site has been voted up by 1084 people. Scary how many people believe what this moron has said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2276143/Nigel-Farage-UKIP-leader-says-Prime-Ministers-deal-cut-EU-spending-Brussels-rotten.html#ixzz2KVD0AGK8
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

45. All said and done, Farage is just a great big coward who declined to stand at the forthcoming Eastleigh by-election because he knew he’d lose it and, with that, the obscene level of attention he’s been getting from the media.

1. Also because he would have to first give up his fat MEP’s salary, free accommodation and travel, expenses, gourmet meals at EU expense……
      Then if, sorry WHEN he lost he would have to go out and work, like the rest of us plebs.