Miami: Judge rules gay man and lesbian couple can all be named on child’s birth certificate

1. Things and laws are changing but Love is still Love and Family is Family. It’s in a Bible. Wholly Trinity. Deal with it. Good luck guys and what a lucky baby Emma.

2. Seems to have worked out ok. Very glad the child will have access to her father. Though he may have been capricious. Sounds like they had an agreement. Get those papers signed everyone.

3. NorthernIrishGuest 8 Feb 2013, 10:35pm

As a gay woman who will (one day) want children this type of situation and outcome scares me. I don’t want a sperm donor to sudden decide he wants his rights and take me to court. It’s why making legal contracts is so important, and I hope the LGBT centers will provide this type of service to those who perhaps cannot afford a lawyer on their own. While it’s great we can now have families, I’m just wary of people like this being caught out.

1. You are very clearly devoid of rational thought. I hope that you are barren and can never have children. Go buy a puppy instead and even then I would feel sorry for it..

1. NorthernIrishGuest 9 Feb 2013, 12:57pm

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with wanting a family without the donor being a practicing parent.

2. What about your future child’s right to know who their father is? Doesn’t sound like that has occurred to you. Seems to be all about what you want.

1. NorthernIrishGuest 9 Feb 2013, 1:00pm

If the child wants to know who the father is then the donor bank can release those details (unless the donor wants to remain anonymous – which many through that procedure do.) So yes, it has occurred to me. Nice name, suits you.

1. Bit late for the child to spend any of it’s childhood with the father then. So it is all about you still.

Nice of you to get personal, I could make an Irish joke here?

I didn’t get personal, but there is a lot of name calling here and like many you didn’t get the irony in my user name. At least you didn’t suggest dropping the T. It’s been done to death. It’s now just boring.

You might just want to stick to the argument in future.

1. NorthernIrishGuest 10 Feb 2013, 1:32pm

An Irish joke? But then you’d be a bigot – I only make a poke at your name, not your nationality.

A bit late? At 18? My God, how old are you to think that 18 is old? You’re also forgetting that many sperm donors don’t want to be involved in a child’s life anyway. I know several people (conceived through donors or adopted) and they haven’t had any real desire to find their “real” parents because they see those who raised them as their real parents. Yes, there is a curiosity, but nothing of substance. So this idea that they’re being deprived of an experience is hypothetical – you have no idea how that individual may react. As I’ve said, if they turn out to want to know about their biological father then they are welcome to do it, but the alternative 3 person family isn’t something that I would deliberately seek out

4. NorthernIrishGuest 8 Feb 2013, 10:36pm

Also…

““My papers said I would have parental rights, a visitation schedule,” Mr Gerina said. “They hated it. They said this wasn’t what they wanted. I said, ‘Now that you’re already pregnant, you should have thought about that before”

What a complete jerk. I have no doubt that he knew what he was doing and he’s just stuck himself right in the middle of this family. Selfishness out of what was probably meant to be a selfless act!

1. HE is a jerk? papers he had previously drawn up with the lesbian couple said he had visitation rights. once the pregnancy was well under way the couple decided that he should NOT have those rights anymore? And HE is the “jerk”.
      Honey, you really need to get your priorities straightened out.

1. I got the impression those were papers he wrote up after refusing to sign the ones the couple gave him. It seemed like the couple just wanted a sperm donor but he tricked them and insisted on being a dad. I agree, jerk. Though it’s good that this sets precident for more alternative families.

1. NorthernIrishGuest 9 Feb 2013, 1:08pm

Exactly, that is how I read it too. His actions come across as very shady.

2. NorthernIrishGuest 9 Feb 2013, 1:05pm

No, I think you’ve read it wrong. There seems to be an agreement made when he accepted to donate and papers were sent once the pregnancy was out of the danger zone. When the papers came through, he says he wasn’t happy despite the women saying he could be part of the child’s life. What has seemingly transpired is he refused to sign the papers because he wouldn’t be recognized as an equal parent – but with the pregnancy already there, the law had to side with him. He uses the law to squeeze himself into the family where it sounds like they welcomed him but wanted to protect their family unit at the same time.

Yes, he’s a jerk.

1. read what is in the article:
          “After a successful conception the two women sent a contract to Mr Gerina seven months into the pregnancy asking him to give up parenting rights, but he decided not to sign.” (ie: the women sent a contract 7 months into the pregnancy)

I say the women are the jerks in this case.

The idea of giving up parental rights was obviously never brought up before the sperm donation was arranged/executed. It sounds like the women said whatever they had to to get him to donate.

1. “It sounds like the women said whatever they had to to get him to donate.”

Or maybe they only had a verbal agreement and then realised it should be legally formalised? Or maybe HE said whatever he had to to get a child?? Who knows… We can all guess at what the circumstances may have been, but the thing that stands out for me is to get a legal agreement BEFORE any donation and to make sure that everyone is absolutely clear about what will happen and that all parties are in agreement prior to conception.

2. NorthernIrishGuest 10 Feb 2013, 1:33pm

Agree with Iris here.

2. Sounds to me like all three were pretty selfish. Not once in the article is the welfare of the child mentioned. It is all about what the adults want, like the child is a possession.

Maybe some of these people need to realise we can’t have everything we want. I question a lot of peoples desire to have children and their reasons.

5. Christopher 10 Feb 2013, 1:01am

Get things in writing people before you go on a journey like this.

6. This is one of the reasons why my husband and I plan to adopt.

7. floridahank 10 Feb 2013, 3:02pm

These are the kinds of issues that will be getting worse once the original meaning of marriage begins to be disputed.
    Weird relationships will create weird laws
    because most judges don’t want to try to forsee what their decisions can cause.

1. Opposite sex marriage and relationships can lead to ‘weird laws’ as you call them just as much as same sex ones. After divorce, children can have three or more parents; sometimes children’s natural parents lose their parental responsibilites and they’re given to one or more grandaparents or an aunt or uncle, for example; some people, straight and gay, need assisted conception and that can mean a child has an unusual parentage; and sometimes children are adopted. Also, in the past children were often raised by people other than both their natural parents because of death, illness or working away from home. I’d also point out that recent surveys suggest 20% or more of children aren’t the child of the person named as their father. That’s among straight couples.

But I’m guessing your comment about “weird relationships” didn’t apply to straight people, Hank…

Just because something or someone is different, it doesn’t mean it or they are wrong.

2. I think that a situation where both biological parents have involvement with the child is a good one, and it is sensible for the law to allow for this.

It seems to me that a lot of the people who think gay people shouldn’t have biological children are saying that the children would be better off never having been born. Which seems rather arrogant.

8. Definitely have a signed contract.
    I forego a written contract and got treated the same way once they were pregnant. They had an agenda kept hidden from me but known by their women friends. Now I have no visitation rights, no access.