US: Two of founder’s granddaughters quit ‘God Hates Fags’ church and express remorse

1. They were indoctrinated into a very insidious cult and I am pleased to see they are getting out of it, that’s no way to live and losing everything and starting again because you have principles takes courage.

My heart breaks for the next generation of that putrid cesspit of a family being raised in a toxic blend of hatred and bigotry while the world looks on.

1. Liam the God 7 Feb 2013, 3:41pm

I’ll give that an “Amen!”.

2. The children of ‘the religious’ surely are ALL indoctrinated? What young child ‘chooses’ to be religious? They have no choice if their parents are religious. This is what amuses me about the spurious accusations off religious homophobes that gay people ‘choose’ their lifestyle. If only they afforded a choice to their own offspring about whether or not to follow a religion …..

1. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Feb 2013, 5:18pm

Totally concur with that. Nobody comes into this world religious, it’s a chosen lifestyle, a habit or hobby even. Sexual orientation is immutable, religious belief isn’t. People choose to believe what they want, right or wrong, simple as that. Unfortunately, bigots like Phelps senior don’t see it that way. The people at the Christian Institute and Christian Concern are not much different, though not as caustic. The Catholic church is arguably the most vitriolic, homophobic mainstream denomination of all and the most vociferous.

I wish these Phelps sisters good luck on their path to leading productive and responsible lives and have seen the error of their ways.

2. That’s very true, of course. But the kind of programming that goes on in this bizarre sects isn’t the same as, say, being raised CoE. The more fundamentalist, extreme and aggressive it is, the harder it becomes to break free. And considering that the “church” is just one huge extended family anyway, it’s even harder.

2. I think it’s great that both Megan and her sister Grace have left. Of course there will be many people who will still hold a grudge towards them for what they’ve said and done over the years, but I think it is important for people to understand their side of the story and empathise with them.

The Phelps sisters were brought up in a world of hate. It was all they knew, and they of course (as with any victim of controlling, verbally abusive parents) would have had to please their parents by encouraging and spreading their gospel of hate until they were in a situation where they were A) old enough to have their own mind and potentially break free (which they have – yay), and B) were able to take care of themselves financially after being ex-communicated.

I wish them both the best of luck in life and their new found freedom! Hopefully people can give them a 2nd chance and welcome them into the real world they’ve been missing out on! :-)

3. That There Other David 7 Feb 2013, 3:58pm

I hope the other family members who have broken away are there for them. They are the only ones who can 100% relate to the way those two poor girls are currently feeling. Well done them for being so brave, and I really hope it works out for them

1. I hope so too. I know that Lauren Drain left a few years ago and her book ‘banished’ is coming out in March (should be a very good read), which talks about how she survived the Westboro Baptist Church. Hopefully she can meet up with Megan and Grace. I think Lauren is happily married now too, and enjoying life to the max :-)

4. Hmmm. God DOES work in mysterious ways ….

1. Tim Chapman 7 Feb 2013, 6:01pm

I doubt ‘god’ had anything to do with it. Seems to me they found their humanity.

5. Marcwebbo3 7 Feb 2013, 4:59pm

Well there you go….more of this vile and venomous family defect….good….they will realise they are so wrong

6. Samuel B. 7 Feb 2013, 6:23pm

The key difference between us and this sick church which marks us out as human beings is that (hopefully) we can collectively forgive those who see the light and show attrition for having once sinned against us…

7. KKK v. WBC… I think I’d like to see that.

8. Very moving. Those poor girls are victims too. They are still just children. Their parents and grandparents should be put in jail for child abuse. Good luck to both of them.

1. just what I was thinking – they’re victims, and should have help and sympathy to get over their ordeal and to make their way in the world beyond their family.

9. I am sure no-one will hold anything they did or said against them. A young child cannot be held accountable for beliefs that are forced upon them when they dont know any better.
    Thankfully now that they have grown into young adults they have their own minds and can see that what was going on was wrong. this story makes me very happy that someone can grow up surrounded by such hate but still make up their own minds and stick by what they truly believe and know is right.

10. They still have a long way to go. While they no longer believe that God wants to kill gays – this is because someone challenged them on the concept of repentance – they still hold firm that homosexuality is a sin. I will be happy for them when they truly repent ALL their bigotry.