US: ‘Ex-gay’ preacher admits continuing to use Grindr to contact gay men

1. As our American cousins would say, he’s a douche with a capital bag.

2. some person 6 Feb 2013, 12:53pm

Just like every other person who has ever claimed to be ‘cured’, they always get caught going back to homosexuality and then truss it up as ‘momentary weakness’. Their lives must be so miserable.

1. Agreed. Such therapy doesn’t make them straight, just deeply unhappy.

3. Gah. Doesn’t this guy realise that what he’s doing is repressing his feelings, rather than having changed them? Anyone with a strong force of will can choose to abstain from sexual relationships, it’s what we call celibacy, but that doesn’t make your sexuality go away.

1. Peter Robertson 6 Feb 2013, 2:38pm

Actually it’s chastity. Celibacy is the state of not being married.

1. PantoHorse 6 Feb 2013, 3:07pm

Celibacy is very closely linked to sexual abstinence as to be unmarried means (or, rather, used to mean) not having sex (although this still does hold true for some religions) as sex outside of marriage is/was deemed as sinful.

Chastity is more about sexual behaviour and whether or not it fits with the guidelines laid down by whichever body (be it state, religious, cultural, social) feels it has the authority to hand down such ‘morals’. You can be chaste and still have sex, basically.

Or you can tell the lot of them to sod off and stop moralizing about who you sleep with, how and when!

2. What PantoHorse said.

Technically, if they’re doing it according to their own rules, Catholic priests and religious are married to the church and/or Jesus (this sometimes even takes on the shape of an actual ceremony being performed in the case of many religious), and practice celibacy by abstaining from sexual activities.

Chastity does have more to do with “morally just” sexual behaviour within a relationship/marriage, and not with abstaining all together.

3. “Chastity belts”, although rarely used, were devised to prevents wives from straying when there husbands were away (for example) fighting in the Crusades.

4. Garry Cassell 6 Feb 2013, 12:53pm

Whyre you punishing yourself??? You know that you are just not true to yourself or anyone else, and certainly not true to the Christ you claim to worship…You are gay and will always be gay…no way you will or can change…stop fooling yourself and get on with living..

5. I feel such sorrow for this guy. I know a few will giggle at this ‘lapse’ but I can’t help but feel this person must go through so much hurt by repressing these desires.
    Hopefully, he will have a ‘second coming’ out of the closet.

1. Yeah you have sympathy from him. He’ll be the one stamping on your neck in a “gay panic”

6. FIT! Where does he live? It’s certainly not within 2.6km of me :(

7. Brings a new meaning too , for what we are about to receive…………

8. Poor guy. I guess its his right to choose his lifestyle and if that means as a Christian he chooses to deny his Gay feelings then that’s his right. I’m not a christian but I wish he could come to terms with the fact that he is Gay and realise that there are many Gay Christians out there who could show him how to be true to himself, praise his God and be happy.At least he was honest…even if it was after he was caught. It would be easy to judge him but he is an adult and has the right to choose.

1. He can choose any path he wishes to choose… but he is preacher. Think of the effect this will have on 13 – 14 year olds who are just discovering their sexuality. He is a liar and is having an adverse effect on the rest of society.. He doesn’t believe what he is preaching but young boys will… urgghhhh!!!

9. He so wants to be a good, submissive, obedient slave to misguided bigotry in order to further his career in the debunked ex-gay scam but his natural sexual orientation keeps tripping him up. What an idiot.

10. HAHAHAHAHAHA

That is all

11. Jesus moran 6 Feb 2013, 1:44pm

Thanks to closeted self haters like him is why we get such a bad reputation , hypocrite ,false, idiot am sure he is getting plenty of sex and then judging and pretending!!

12. I feel sorry him. He’s doing so much damage to others by promoting that evil witchcraft but I feel sorry for him with his blood of Jesus nonsense. That is one successful brainwashing.

13. This really is just so sad. What a troubled man he must be. I don’t think we can begin to realise how it is to be a Bible Belt LGBT person from our predominately secular liberal perspective. What’s worse of course is that by his actions he adds to the hurt caused to others.

14. Oh dear. Another example of a religiously-brainwashed self-hater. When is the world going to wake up to the fact that homophobia is DRIVEN by inner-fears of ones own same-sex desires? “Show me a homophobe – I’ll show you a closet case”

15. Moore says that his “homosexual feelings” had “diminished”, but admitted that they had not disappeared completely.

So you are NOT ex-gay. You are still a homosexual and I guess you always will be!! Moore, you are a hypocrite!!

16. Ex Gay, yeah right!!!

17. He will be found on his knees soon…lol

18. john lyttle 6 Feb 2013, 3:11pm

Matt Moore resurrected my penis.

19. Jim middle tn 6 Feb 2013, 3:24pm

“cured” works for hams .. but not for gay men trying to be something they arent ..
    it amazes me that there are those who still think they can deny their true selves ..
    and the road of homosexuality is paved with the most beautiful stones .. and what a lovely view it is for the most part .. it has been my great honor to have traveled the road from birth .. now in my 66th year . all I can say is there is still gas in the engine and I am ready to go .. lol .. I am glad we have these articles to let us know who the fools, bigots and idiots of among us are . so we dont run into them .. and catch it ..

20. Your god just made you as you are. Just accept that but not the interpretation of other people think that their god wants from you.
    Accept your nature.

1. Staircase2 6 Feb 2013, 4:07pm

Well said

2. Moore, you should be liberating yourself and celebrating that you are a most sacred product of God. As our Pastor would say…..”How dare you look down with shame, on something The Lord has made.”

21. Staircase2 6 Feb 2013, 4:06pm

Bless him – what a bloody idiot

His ‘homosexual feelings’ are diminishing so rapidly that he just couldn’t help himself but to go on Grindr…

Bless him

22. Thank you kindly for providing the world with the evidence that homosexuality is in a persons nature, not something a person learns, and not something the bible can turn you away from.

23. Christopher in Canada 6 Feb 2013, 5:14pm

Welcome to Conditioning.

Howard Jones, 1983.

24. Suddenly Last Bummer 6 Feb 2013, 5:41pm

He swims in a river called ‘de-nial’.

25. Utterly predictable, I’m afraid. Reminds me of a story I read a few years ago about a guy in America who went ‘undercover’ to an ‘Exodus’ conference and couldn’t get moved for guys hitting on him.

26. Stuart James 6 Feb 2013, 6:36pm

I think he needs to find himself, sounds like he has lost the plot upstairs! :(

27. unhappy sad fella. Sorry for him

28. Look at his face. Even when he tries to smile he looks sad and his eyes are dead.

29. Poor guy… I pity him and his miserable existence.

30. he should be true to himself Jesus wants that/

1. then he will be able to see all that Jesus has done for Him and all gays. @present he doesnt know and ids holding back as he thinks if he does he will go to hell fire!!! good news Jesus paid the price –we can have our cake and eat it

31. he should be true tohimself and let Jesus meet him where he is at. at prsesnt he thinks if he does walk in his true self he will go to hell. Jesus has changed all that if only preacherboy has the courage to look see

32. “Are they completely gone? No, they are not. Will they ever be completely gone? I do not know.”
    Well I know the answer to that question and the answer is NO. Since you can’t change being gay you are stuck with those feeling for the rest of your life. I don’t know if I should pity this poor asshole or ridicule him…….

33. As a teenager I fell under the spell of a visiting evangelist, Arthur Blessitt (that’s what he called himself, anyway). I became a “born again”, happy clappy Christian, so arrogant and judgmental, I shudder to remember myself.
    I became, amazingly, homophobic, so full of (self) loathing which I projected onto other gays, though this was less than a decade after de-criminalisation, so few men were “out”. I was so busy hating, it never occurred to me that my lack of a girlfriend was down not to my opposition to pre-marital sex, but lack of attraction to the opposite gender!
    It screwed up the rest of my life, I never had a real relationship with either man or woman, and treated my only long-term girlfriend horribly.
    This poor man is going the same way…….