The Times: Same-sex marriage enshrines justice and will enrich the lives of many

1. A great piece, let’s hope that those undecided MP’s take note on what has been written here.

2. Just remember that THE TIMES is not encumbered by a Catholic owner-unlike those propaganda sheets for the Pope- The Telegraph and The Mail!!

3. Does anyone know what time the vote is?

1. bobbleobble 5 Feb 2013, 9:56am

According to the Guardian it’s 7pm. There are two votes, one on the timetable for passage of the bill and one on the actual bill itself.

1. bobbleobble 5 Feb 2013, 9:58am

The debate is scheduled to start at 12.30 by the way. I expect that most speeches will be from the antis venting their spleens. I may have to physically restrain my boyfriend since I quite like my TV and don’t really want his fist passing through the screen!

4. When I first heard that the Times was in favour some time ago I was pleasantly surprised. Probably because it was from the same stable as Fox News. I like to think that this is an example of editorial freedom?
    Thank you Times and well said.

5. GulliverUK 5 Feb 2013, 10:25am

They should also know it’s supported by a large proportion of the public. Here are just some results;

– 75% in a Telegraph poll
    – 61% of Christians in the UK (IPsosMORI, Dawkins)
    – 53% Christians in Australia (Galaxy)
    – 61% general public in Scotland 2011 (Scottish Social Attitudes)
    – 72% of those with “no religion” (Scottish Social Attitudes)
    – 61% general public in 2009 (Populus)
    – 62% of Australians (Galaxy)
    – 65% General public in 2012 (Populus)
    – 73% General Publis in Dec 2012 (IPsosMORI)
    – 376 MPs in favour, 148 against so far. (C4EM tracker)
    – 85% supported it a poll of atheists.
    – 66% of Canadians in 2012 (Forum Research)

and there are many more.

1. Leigh Hamilton 5 Feb 2013, 5:08pm

Thanks for collating these figures, very helpful :)

6. Carlosifer 5 Feb 2013, 10:31am

I think is very important equal marriage for society and gay people , because it will make them feel respected , equal , self worthy , valued which may lead to less depression , drug abuse and risky sex even . I’m gay , and from own experience sometimes because you feel so alienated , lost , frustrated that can lead to all the above . I’m not saying I will get married but that’s my choice but a lot of people want to so they deserve that right ! Finally after the dark times I found love and feel happier than ever before

1. well said, thats what this is all about. Exceptance on every level.

7. Debate starts at 12.45 pm on BBC Parliament Channel- Freeview 81 FREESAT 201 SKY 504

8. Robert in S. Kensington 5 Feb 2013, 12:42pm

An elegant piece and to be commended. Thank you, Lord Melbourne, well said.

9. Looks like the UK is about again, beat America to the gay-friendly race. Come on, world. If England is doing it, that must mean it’s a big deal!