Stephen Timms MP criticised for saying marriage was primarily for procreation

1. I hope all the married heterosexual couples who either choose not to have kids, or are medically unable to, will divorce forthwith.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 5 Feb 2013, 6:52pm

Stupid bastard! Religion at it again. What about widows and widowers left to raise children without two parents. What if they never remarry? His comments are offensive and vile. Clearly, nasty bigots are alive and well in all three parties.

3. I’m suddenly realising from listening to the debate today that the calibre of intelligence of a lot of MP’s in our parliament leaves a lot to be desired. I’m not surprised the country is in such a mess with morons like this deciding how it is run.

4. Robert in S. Kensington 5 Feb 2013, 6:56pm

Obviously for him and others of his ilk, procreation is the primary reason for marriage. Love is secondary. Now how is redefning marriage? Not all heteros can procreate or want to and for the latter, what does it matter if there is potential to do just that? Some heteros marry later in life beyond child bearing years. By his illogical reasoning, they shouldn’t even marry because love is secondary, not a reason for marriage.

5. Robert (Kettering) 5 Feb 2013, 7:26pm

What a vile homophobic bigot. Clearly motivated by his church. Hope he loses his job the vile sneak.

6. That There Other David 5 Feb 2013, 7:36pm

My God, his picture makes him look like two people stitched together!! I hope for his sake that PN has just picked an unflattering photo.

1. lol he’s definitely not a looker…

I think that’s one of the better photos I’ve seen of him

2. Joseph oz 6 Feb 2013, 8:39am

Me thinks that perhaps, he is a product of inbreeding.

1. Yet ANOTHER thing teh geys can’t do right – inbreeding! :)

7. Well done to all those who took Timms to task! Civil marriage doesn’t mention procreation at all, and many LGBT people DO have children.

Ignorant man – as shown by the comments against him which demonstrated the illogicality of his arguments.

8. Gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender is completely accepted in our generation today and its getting better so deal with it!mend of discussion! Times change :-D

9. That mugshot has to be one of the strongest arguments against procreation generally.

1. Joseph oz 6 Feb 2013, 8:37am

It is certainly obvious to me that, genetic diversity isn’t something that his family have!

10. GulliverUK 5 Feb 2013, 10:08pm

My estimation of Timms as a human being just jumped off a cliff.

Who knew? Weirdo. Even Rowan Williams isn’t so foolish as to say that marriage for baby-making !

To be fair, he was usually quite good on economics, but I will struggle to take anything he says in future as credible. I will always be wondering if it’s him talking or something he’s read in the Bible :(

1. When the anti-Keynesian austerity measures start to bite, will he be reciting 2 Thessalonians 3:10-11?

“10) For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.
      11) For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies. “

11. Stephen Timms must NEVER become a minister.
    His bigotry makes him unsuitable for any senior position in politics.

These bigoted pigs who voted against equality must live to regret their moronic bigotry.

12. Spanner1960 5 Feb 2013, 11:54pm

Actually, the guy is right, it is the primary reason.

However, it is not the ONLY reason.
    It is not up to others to decide why two people wish to be recognised in a legally binding partnership.

1. Dave North 6 Feb 2013, 9:48am

And here was me thinking love was the reason people got married.

No. Farting out sprogs is why?

1. Spanner1960 6 Feb 2013, 7:37pm

Very few straight marriages are childless.
        I can think of many that are loveless though.

13. Well said Lyn:

She questioned: “You were at my wedding and I
    was not young when I got married… and it was
    highly unlikely to after all that time procreate.
    Are you telling me that my marriage is less valid
    as anybody else is?”

14. Mr McCann talks about all these people with “genuine concerns” about teh geys marrying. I do wish he would verbalise what exactly the concerns are and how exactly they differ from your common or garden variety bigotry.

15. From Wikipedia “Stephen Timms is an evangelical Christian ” . I would have thought the main reason for getting married was love. I bet your dinner’ll be in the bin now your wife knows the only reason you got married was to have kids .. So what little sexy name do you call her when you give her one ? ooooh! Let me guess , could it be incubator?

16. I was at the university of Essex around 2005-6 when Timms came to do a talk for the labour students soc., while myself and the other SWSS members went to debate them. I forget most of that meeting but I do remember coming away with the impression that there was something really creepy and odd about that guy, nothing specific I could put my finger on but he was just “yicky”. Frankly none of his statements made in this article surprise me.