Edward Leigh MP attacks gender reassignment in condemning equal marriage ‘revolution’

1. that guy is a total dick wad, i’m in Gainsborough, dealt with him before, he loves to try and put everyone down just to get what he wants

2. Robert in S. Kensington 5 Feb 2013, 6:17pm

Though I live in London, I contacted him last year after the consultation. In fact, I wrote twice and received two responses, both equally nasty and arrogant too. You can’t change these dinosaurs. They’re stuck in a time-warp of institutionalised homophobia which is what this really is all about. He should be reminded that he voted against CPs in Parliament and now finds it convenient to defend them to oppose equal marriage. He had the nerve to remind Chris Bryant this morning that it was Chris who told him in 2004 that CPs would not be the paving for equal marriage, yet he still went ahead and voted no. Bloody hypocrite.

1. theotherone 5 Feb 2013, 6:34pm

you see the story here was as much about him atacking the gender recognition act but you ignored that.

thanks a bunch.

3. That There Other David 5 Feb 2013, 6:33pm

A kick in the teeth you say Edward? LOL. I’m not going to go there :-D

4. His speech was embarrassing. If I was 1 of his 6 kids I would be mortified.

5. Brett Gibson 5 Feb 2013, 7:10pm

Looks like this school yard bully never grew up enough to know the joy of empathy and compassion.

6. Robert (Kettering) 5 Feb 2013, 7:31pm

A truly horrible person! Just look at his sneery face, looks like a real Toff with his mind back in the days of Empire.

A vile, disgusting homophobic bigot of the very worst kind.

1. theotherone 5 Feb 2013, 7:33pm

again with the homophobia – he made a statement about gender variant people.

i spread the word about queer marriage and it looks like all i’ll get in return is ignored.

1. I know. What this MP is defending here is a narrowly defined gender binary and an insistence that a person be defined by the appearance of their genitals at birth. It’s so much bigger than homophobia. So much bigger.

1. theotherone 5 Feb 2013, 8:02pm

but alas is being reduced to that.

7. A bigot just showing his ignorance about gender and sexuality. Maybe these people could do with some education? Sex and gender isn’t as simple as he seems to think. He might be a homophobe but he’s also pig ignorant.

8. The weakest argument yet – Equality but not at the expense of tradition.
    My God, where would be be if tradition was our guiding force? Wife-beating, slave-owning farmers, I suppose.

9. Yes, Leigh’s an obvious arsehole (you can tell that just by looking at his face). I bet in a few year’s time when gay marriage is the norm he will backtrack. He will say something like “Oh, I was misunderstood. I didn’t mean that.” People like him always do.

10. Don’t really think he attacked the GRA. He was making a point about the sovereignty of parliament and its ability to legislate pretty much anything it wanted.

The statement he made, which i’d read more as parliamentary “wit” than attack was:

“Parliament is sovereign—we can vote for what we want—but we must be very careful that law and reality do not conflict. In 1648, the Earl of Pembroke, in seeking to make the point that Parliament is sovereign, said that Parliament can do anything but make a man a woman or a woman a man. Of course, in 2004, we did exactly that with the Gender Recognition Act. We are now proposing to make equally stark changes to the essence of marriage.”