Comment: It’s time for a referendum on marriage- to force balding heterosexuals to divorce

1. A very childish and immature response, Ben. I can see what you’re doing here but it’s like a 12 year old wrote this.

1. Some 12 year olds I know and teach, are the most insightful and logical people I have ever met! The real immature response would be to doubt them!

2. I think the article was very mature. Especially since I meet twelve year olds who would make most of us question our values and intellect on a regular bases.Maybe it is the innocence of youth,maybe it is because they know more than we do.

3. It is only by taking arguments to the ridiculous that some people “see the light”.
      I welcome this article, not as childish, but as thoughtful.

2. Have a referendum to see if all we need are referendums and abolish parliament altogether. What’s the point of voting in members of Parliament if all we need is tyranny by majority? I could think of quite a few winning referendums. How about reintroducing capital punishment. That would win. Abolish all taxes. Ban capitalism. Hang bankers. Make gas and electricity free. Ban employment laws. The list is endless. Whenever a politician calls for a referendum is because he knows he’s lost the argument and he seeks to undermine democracy to get his own petty little populist way. Good one Ben. The only problem when asking the people to vote with their consciences through individual referendums is that quite a few consciences would be led down some very dark pathways leading to dire consequences.

3. Fantastic… Well, here’s a delicious bowl of alphabet soup with a sprinkling of chopped fresh basil. Why don’t you eat it and then sh*t a better response than Ben’s?

4. I think bald people will find this article insulting and immature. ;)

1. Robert in S. Kensington 5 Feb 2013, 12:39pm

Well then, they’d find out what it’s like to be ridiculted, denigrated and discriminated against. A walk in our shoes might cause some of them to think twice before they open their mouths.

1. Dan Filson 5 Feb 2013, 2:39pm

Many bald people are gay. Many gay people are bald. Don’t assume all bald people are straight. Or bigoted.

2. What an idiot!! New levels of stupidity!

As if being bald = being a homophobe. Dumbarse.

5. Robert in S. Kensington 5 Feb 2013, 12:37pm

Ben, I loved this. You ought to send it to every opposing MP known to us and to every member of the Lords after it passes later today.

You know, even if there were a referendum and the result was positive for equal marriage, the opposition still would not be satisfied and they would probably try to skew it by saying it was rigged demanding a recount or after passage, repeal.

6. Ben, thanks for putting us bald/balding people down. You’ve made me feel ugly. Thanks.

1. Tim Chapman 5 Feb 2013, 1:31pm

It’s just wasted on some people, isn’t it?

1. It reminds me of that joke: Person asks bookseller where the humour section is. Indignant reply: “This is a feminist bookshop: there is no humour section”. Look like it applies to us too.

(Avalanche of thumbs down follows swiftly on, validating the point….)

2. Don’t worry too much about this. Ben knows too well how some people find Homosexual, Jewish and Black people unattractive, and he is OK with it. Aren’t you Ben?

7. Dan Filson 5 Feb 2013, 2:38pm

When I was oing it would never have occurred to me that that the love of my life, who died 2 years ago, would be so bald that there was a good reflection from his pate and for that matter that he would have a rubber tyre at waist level that was not terribly flattering. The fact is that how love evolves, in my case over twenty-five years, is a mystery.

Incidentally, the current debate about what should be grounds for divorce, whether the absence of non-consummation and adultery as grounds, overlooks that in many relationships neither is necessarily relevant. There are gay long-term relationships and civil partnerships where there’s never been consummation in the sense of anal intercourse, and there are similar relationships where sexual activity with another person outside the relationship isn’t regarded as damaging the core relationship. To my mind, the main grounds for divorce should be irretrievable breakdown of the marriage or unreasonable behaviour.

1. Dan Filson 5 Feb 2013, 2:40pm

When I was young …

1. Did you have a sense of humour when you were young?

8. Samuel B. 5 Feb 2013, 7:43pm

Baldist, perhaps, but still a nice Jewish boy who my mother would love.

Sigh…

1. Samuel B. 5 Feb 2013, 7:48pm

…ok, ok, successful too and going places (Sillicon Valley last time I checked, or was it LA?), but those really are just finer details and neither here nor there. (Blush)

9. Nasty unfunny article. I wouldn’t want to be Ben’s partner if I thought he would dump me if I lost my hair.

Ridiculing people for their physical appearance is effectively a form of racism – given that both are genetically determined.

If someone were to “joke” that they find black people or jews unattractive would that still be hilarious.

And yes people have been driven to suicide by things like this.